US Sailing today announced Alan Ostfield as new Chief Executive Officer.

Maybe this is a good thing. An outside set of eyes and some different ideas may help.  Clearly having sailors as the CEO has not been working. 

The ceo of American Airlines is not a pilot, flight attendant or Mechanic, does that make him less qualified? Same applies here, maybe this new guy is what US Sailing needs. 

Unpopular opinion: 

Hopefully the new guy sees through all the boomer bullshit (sorry to everyone in your 4ksb) and saves the sinking ship. 

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Editor said:

maybe, guess we'll find out.

Yup. 
Honestly at this point they could have made a toddler the CEO and I would still be onboard as it is at least something different then the last decade of repetitive failure. 

40 minutes ago, sailsail said:

Maybe this is a good thing. An outside set of eyes and some different ideas may help.  Clearly having sailors as the CEO has not been working. 

The ceo of American Airlines is not a pilot, flight attendant or Mechanic, does that make him less qualified? Same applies here, maybe this new guy is what US Sailing needs. 

Unpopular opinion: 

Hopefully the new guy sees through all the boomer bullshit (sorry to everyone in your 4ksb) and saves the sinking ship. 

Have you ever flown on American fucking Airlines?

• Like 4
8 minutes ago, Schnappi said:

Yes. 

I was making an example. Use Delta, United, JetBlue, Netjets, Spirit. 

Was the CEO of Greyhound once a bus driver? No, he actually held almost every position except for bus driver…

I want new ideas not rebadged old ones. I’m going to give the new guy a chance. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Schnappi said:

Hopefully he doesn't appoint one of those humorless, bitchy battleaxes which seems to be an employment prerequisite for the stewardess's,  to get things done at US Sailing. It might be a bumpy ride.

6 minutes ago, Navig8tor said:

Hopefully he doesn't appoint one of those humorless, bitchy battleaxes which seems to be an employment prerequisite for the stewardess's,  to get things done at US Sailing. It might be a bumpy ride.

well thank christ they have grumpy mr. know-it-all as olympic exec dir....

19 minutes ago, Navig8tor said:

You obviously only flew long-haul.  That was a privilege granted to the senior staff, tropical layovers and all that.  There were some nasty old bats on the Pan Am flights to and from Hawai'i.  "Put your legs in."  "Why isn't your bag properly under the seat?"  "Sit up straight."

Eventually some wag coming back from the Clipper Series loudly said "If I wanted this sort of abuse, I'd have stayed at home and got it from my grandmother."  Lots of laughter from fellow sailors, and some frigid stares from the stews.

I find the short-haul and therefore very junior (and rather more nubile) air staff to be much more jolly.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, P_Wop said:

You obviously only flew long-haul.  That was a privilege granted to the senior staff, tropical layovers and all that.  There were some nasty old bats on the Pan Am flights to and from Hawai'i.  "Put your legs in."  "Why isn't your bag properly under the seat?"  "Sit up straight."

Eventually some wag coming back from the Clipper Series loudly said "If I wanted this sort of abuse, I'd have stayed at home and got it from my grandmother."  Lots of laughter from fellow sailors, and some frigid stares from the stews.

I find the short-haul and therefore very junior (and rather more nubile) air staff to be much more jolly.

excellent! hahaha!

3 minutes ago, P_Wop said:

They have hired some young ones recently. I’m only 34 and it’s weird walking in the aircraft and seeing pilots and cabin crew younger than me.

The perverts here can search YouTube and find flight attendant blogs (btw they are called cabin Crew) from some of the new hires. They usually fill them with click bate pictures of their layovers or non-Rev travel in bikinis. (Jetting Julia is an example) 

1 hour ago, Snaggletooth said:

average-day-for-a-flight-attendant-scale

:)

We had a little problem with some mechanics a few years ago. They would see all the new flight attendants, immediately go to computer and look up their names and then see if they had Bikini pictures on Facebook. Problem was sometimes the mechanics would still have the young crew’s pictures on their phone while making making a gate call or signing off a log book. We had one mechanic place his phone down in the cockpit while signing off a logbook. The copilot was her father and he was not amused to see his half naked daughter on some guys phone. It really ruined the special flight they had planned for the father/daughter. I believe the mother was also on the flight as a passenger to celebrate father and daughter flying together. 

As a lawyer, BU Alumni, and Detroit Pistons fan, this guy checks a lot of boxes for me personally, lol.

I highly doubt this means PC is on the way out.  He should and hopefully will get his chance to turn things around at the olympic level over the next 5 years

• Like 1

He's on the board at USTA? As a tennis hack of some 40 years, that's no vote of confidence. Another all white Sport dying slowly on the vine.

I dunno, based on my experience in the nonprofit association world, you have to have a high GAS (give a shit) factor for the community you're supporting. Usually that means hiring from the community for the top spots. It can be a guy who just sails their Sunfish at the lake house every summer, but they have to have to be invested in serving the sport beyond it just being their job.

I realize this can keep the organization closed off from new ideas, but you'd think among the entire sailing community there would be someone with the requisite skills and vision.

Just now, Sisu3360 said:

I dunno, based on my experience in nonprofit association world, you have to have a high GAS (give a shit) factor for the community you're supporting. Usually that means hiring from the community for the top spots. It can be a guy who just sails their Sunfish at the lake house every summer, but they have to have to be invested in serving the sport beyond it just being their job.

I realize this can keep the organization closed off from new ideas, but you'd think among the entire sailing community there would be someone with the requisite skills and vision.

There is the @Editor

4 hours ago, sailsail said:

You last President wasn't a leader, communicator, economist, diplomat nor a Businessman's asshole. How did that work out for you?

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

You last President wasn't a leader, communicator, economist, diplomat nor a Businessman's asshole. How did that work out for you?

I’m going to take a wild guess that a guy with a vast experience in sport franchises and similar stakes might have some good ideas running any sport organization. It’s not like the MyPillow guy is running USSailing, although that would also be hilarious and the front page entertainment on this website would be great. 

I don’t think comparing him to Trump is a fair comparison. 

I was going to say that maybe the new guy would “make US Sailing great again” as a joke. But some people including @editor would probably have aneurism. 

27 minutes ago, Senator Seditious Maximus said:

There is the @Editor

Honestly. Has he ever shown interest in that position? I would have not have had an issue with him being at the helm. 

28 minutes ago, Senator Seditious Maximus said:

Why is US Sailing so East Coast?

Maybe the new guy can change that. 

29 minutes ago, Senator Seditious Maximus said:

He's on the board at USTA? As a tennis hack of some 40 years, that's no vote of confidence. Another all white Sport dying slowly on the vine.

I think fencing is the whitest sport in the USA followed second by sailing. You want to see racist and organizational dumbfuckery look at USAFencing. 

12 hours ago, Schnappi said:

a better example is Lou Gerstner at IBM in the 1990s.

His brother was a senior VP at IBM and being groomed to take over when John Akers retired.

But his brother developed cancer just as John gave his 1 year retirement announcement and IBM started looking about.  Well brother Lou had done well selling smokes at Phillip Morris or one of the other cigarette makers. Lets put him in charge for the interim.

So they make Lou the CEO and he turned IBM around (that time).

Brother recovered from the cancer and wanted the CEO position but the board said "We are sure you do, but your brother is doing such a great job, it would be better if he stays put".  Word on the street was it pissed his brother off.

As mentioned, sometimes have a fresh set of eyes is a good thing.

Seems like the sole goal of this hire is to build the Olympic sailing program.  Just what the sport needs. Focus on a few individuals while telling the everyday participants and lovers of the sport to take a hike. He looks like a good person to hit up all the big corporations for dollars to support a program that gets minor attention once every four years. In the meantime they don't say anything about those of us who pay our annual dues and never expect to make it to the Olympics.   

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Senator Seditious Maximus said:

Here's the CEO equivalent of John Scully.  If American Industry was run by people like Herb, who worked his way up to the top over 40 years, we'd all be better served.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herb_Kelleher

I met Kelleher a couple of times many years ago and even went out drinking with him. He was an original who had a real passion for his business. He also loved his bourbon. 

10 hours ago, LB 15 said:

We have tried hiring outside the sport in Aus. It has never ended well.

Mind you hiring sailors hasn't turned out too well either!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Rum Runner said:

Seems like the sole goal of this hire is to build the Olympic sailing program.  Just what the sport needs. Focus on a few individuals while telling the everyday participants and lovers of the sport to take a hike. He looks like a good person to hit up all the big corporations for dollars to support a program that gets minor attention once every four years. In the meantime they don't say anything about those of us who pay our annual dues and never expect to make it to the Olympics.   

Exactly.  Same old same old.  The article spoke to how important getting US sailors to the 5 Ring Circus was to the new (old) management.  Almost all the women on Board of Directors are former Olympians.

18 hours ago, sailsail said:

Unpopular opinion: 

The ship is not sinking. Sailing is a Participatory Sport. We only watch that which we cannot participate in which is the AC, SailGP and of course the 18 footers.

Real Sailing is unwatchable because for the masses it is...........................................so boring

14 hours ago, apophenia said:

Someone needs to take Mr. Ostefield on a downwind, overnight double handed Moore 24 trip.

OH Yea

14 hours ago, Senator Seditious Maximus said:

Huh? The Williams sisters dominated the sport for how long?

• Like 1

The search firm that US Sailing hired is all about commercial sports - so US SAILING got a guy from their stable.  Search firms have niches and its hard for them to work outside their niche.  Whether they knew it or not, the Board elected this profile when they picked the firm.  Hard to match the US Sailing mission with this hire's strengths - but then it's hard to tell what the mission really is.

How would we measure success at US Sailing?  Sailing could not be measured by any of the metrics used for commercially viable sports because sailing isn't remotely close to being commercially viable.  North Sails really runs the part of the sport that represents the lion's share of the dollars and US Sailing isn't about to push North around.  As to the rest of sport  - there seems to be very little cohesion - many different directions.  And as the Rock man said "a point in every direction, is no point at all."  Maybe thats why we default to Olympic results.

It was time for change agent - but also passionate dynamic leadership and outreach to the larger sailing community.  Can a total non-sailor really lead this effort?   I would have preferred to see someone under 40 who understood social media and who brought a demonstrated passion for some part of the sport.  And given the need for change... anything but another white guy.

Like most random number generators - this bet may pay off - but probably not the time to bet the mortgage.

• Like 2
17 hours ago, LB 15 said:

We have tried hiring outside the sport in Aus. It has never ended well.

World Sailing tried hiring a sports promotion professional . That did not work out so great. Andy Hunt spent money like water leaving WS in a dire financial state when he left in December 2019. This was only made worse when the Olympics were postponed. Last I heard  the finances had gone from a troubling deficit funded by a bank loan to "acute" when the Olympics were postponed

"Prior to his role with World Sailing, Hunt had most recently been Chairman & Managing Partner of Progressive Media Group, an International Media & Business Information group of companies, as well as serving as a non-executive Director of England Hockey & Gloucester Rugby. "

Does this guy really inspire you to dump your wife, kids and work and run away with your best buddies and race till you drop?  Or...does he inspire a big yawn and scroll to the next topic?

AlanOstfieldHeadshot-600.jpg

What kind of leadership does sailing need from US Sailing. IMHO sort out leadership in the following areas: handicapping, providing resources for one-designs, supporting community (especially non-racing) sailing, resources for the cruising-daysailing sailors, which are the vast majority of sailors, organizing and promoting championship series, marketing and promoting sailing in general. And, oh yeah, developing the Olympic team, including providing resources so the sailors don't have to spend all their time fund raising. Only the last couple of those thoughts can be mastered without real-life sailing experience. I'm with the posters who think there ought to be a sailor/CEO type who understands both sides of the equation plus social media. Surely there's someone like that. But then again, with someone with those skills be willing to take the helm? 

Lawyers tend to be risk adverse. I am sure he will find a way to get paid from these US Sailing relationships. As for being innovative and a leader to break the general malaise felt for sailing in the US - i doubt he has the chops or game for that. 

Ostfield began his sports career as an attorney with Wilmer, Cutler & Pickering in Washington, D.C., specializing in sports, corporate and bankruptcy law and worked with a client list that included the Dallas Cowboys. Ostfield then worked as senior vice president and general counsel with the San Diego Padres baseball club. Ostfield also teaches. At the University of Michigan's Sport Management Masters Program, he taught "Managing a Professional Sports Franchise" and he taught "Sports and the Law" at the University of San Diego School of Law. 

1 hour ago, kurthoehne said:

What kind of leadership does sailing need from US Sailing. IMHO sort out leadership in the following areas: handicapping, providing resources for one-designs, supporting community (especially non-racing) sailing, resources for the cruising-daysailing sailors, which are the vast majority of sailors, organizing and promoting championship series, marketing and promoting sailing in general. And, oh yeah, developing the Olympic team, including providing resources so the sailors don't have to spend all their time fund raising. Only the last couple of those thoughts can be mastered without real-life sailing experience. I'm with the posters who think there ought to be a sailor/CEO type who understands both sides of the equation plus social media. Surely there's someone like that. But then again, with someone with those skills be willing to take the helm? 

Follow the money.

The Olympic tail is wagging the dog.

On 4/27/2021 at 11:36 PM, Timur said:

all white sport? you clearly don't watch much tennis on the amateur, college or professional level.

Previous positions no doubt compensated him quite well.  Unless he was canned, US Sailing probably had to offer an extremely attractive package to lure him over. Are there enough remaining memberships or other revenue streams capable of supporting this? Tune in next year for the next exciting episode.

On 4/30/2021 at 5:30 PM, redboat said:

Previous positions no doubt compensated him quite well.  Unless he was canned, US Sailing probably had to offer an extremely attractive package to lure him over. Are there enough remaining memberships or other revenue streams capable of supporting this? Tune in next year for the next exciting episode.

When the GoFundMe for US Sailing is launched?