Hotfoot 20 - US West Coast - What can I do?

Most likely buying a stock Hotfoot 20 this Saturday. Since I would not race the Hotfoot as a one design, what can I to optimize it and not have the rating change? Does a new rudder change the rating? Can I put low drag standing rigging on it and light halyards? Carbon pole? Retrofit a U20 prod and A-sail? How small an outboard (electrical?) can I get away with? 

Can't give any specifics on the H20 -but- I will say, "Readest thou thy local PHRF rule book."

Sprit? It's in there. Motor? It's in there. Running rigging seems like it should be a gimmee but you never know... until you read The Book.

Even local PHRF committee members have been known to cite bullshit that is not really a rule.

FB- Doug

• Like 1

Hotfoot 20 is in my driveway, 537 miles across desert, mountains and valleys from where it was. Steve at the Lake Mead Marina was critical to the endeavor from a transaction perspective as well as helping get the rig down and the boat/trailer ready to go 70 mph down the road. Thanks as well to Paul in BC, another Hotfoot owner who was available by phone to advise on road trip prep.

Now its time to go through it end to end.

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

Hotfoot 20 is in my driveway, 537 miles across desert, mountains and valleys from where it was. Steve at the Lake Mead Marina was critical to the endeavor from a transaction perspective as well as helping get the rig down and the boat/trailer ready to go 70 mph down the road. Thanks as well to Paul in BC, another Hotfoot owner who was available by phone to advise on road trip prep.

Now its time to go through it end to end.

Congrats! Sounds like it will be a fun ride.

Don't forget to send PICS!

FB- Doug

So here are some pics. Essentially never used ullman sails. Really leaning to taking the the upper diamond shrouds off to optimize upwind performance and just hoisting the big chute to the original fractional location and adding tweakers to get the foot low to retain shape but might order a heavy oz smaller bullet chute. I think the lower in the sailplan the center of effort the better!

BTW, the boat has large watertight compartments. It cannot sink, but if we fill those compartments with empty plastic pop bottles it most certainly won't sink. 

IMG_0140.jpg

IMG_0143.jpg

IMG_0144.jpg

IMG_0145.jpg

• Like 2

Upon further review it looks like lowering the pole further gets it dangerously close to the water which could be bad.  Further looking around in this Sportboat forum its clear that a heavy air chute might be the call along with a small prod and an a-sail. A 2nd reef point in the main might be useful as well.

I have a rejected J100 rudder stock I could use as a fixed prod.

Congrats! If your goals are ditch run and double damned I would avoid the sprit and rating hit. Get out now and start practicing for the June 12 ditch run! Expect that masthead kite will really add up in light-medium air downwind.  A stock hotfoot is already much more powered up than a holder 20. Also, when you have a chance look at how small your keel bulb is compared to a U20. 

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, hokie said:

Congrats! If your goals are ditch run and double damned I would avoid the sprit and rating hit. Get out now and start practicing for the June 12 ditch run! Expect that masthead kite will really add up in light-medium air downwind.  A stock hotfoot is already much more powered up than a holder 20. Also, when you have a chance look at how small your keel bulb is compared to a U20. 

Thanks Hokie, not sure I really want to compare the bulbs :)

2 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Chris, is this your boat?

https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/90378

I saw that and thought about it but is on the other side of the country. If yes, glad it went to good home.

FB- Doug

Yes, that's the boat. It looks like it was being made ready for racing back in 2012-2014 in Newport Beach, CA and then never really used. New blue paint, new carbon laminated Ulman sails, masthead spinnaker is crispy and hardly used. Dacron practice sails also in almost new condition. I am putting a new mast hinge on it and refurbing the deck connection and the mast base/bottom of mast at the moment.

If I can make a pedantic suggestion, maybe sail the boat in its as-is configuration before you go making modifications. You may find that some of the perceived weaknesses aren't at all.

Also, why would you think making those mods could be done without changing the rating? In some PHRF regions there are changes you can make that would end in a net-zero rating change, but usually with some implied compromise.

Anyway, I've learned the hard way that making boat mods before you know what you have usually leads to things going back to the way they were, at double the cost.

• Like 1
On 5/6/2021 at 10:20 AM, hokie said:

^^THIS^^

Best info for you... Read it again.

Both of these races are usually big breeze, big fleets, and narrow channel constraints at some point. You won't want to be jibing much unless you absolutely have to.

You want to go deep and fast. Leave the boat as is.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, ryley said:

If I can make a pedantic suggestion, maybe sail the boat in its as-is configuration before you go making modifications. You may find that some of the perceived weaknesses aren't at all.

Also, why would you think making those mods could be done without changing the rating? In some PHRF regions there are changes you can make that would end in a net-zero rating change, but usually with some implied compromise.

Anyway, I've learned the hard way that making boat mods before you know what you have usually leads to things going back to the way they were, at double the cost.

Good advice, I will put the new lead bulb project on hold :)

16 hours ago, Irrational 14 said:

^^THIS^^

Best info for you... Read it again.

Both of these races are usually big breeze, big fleets, and narrow channel constraints at some point. You won't want to be jibing much unless you absolutely have to.

You want to go deep and fast. Leave the boat as is.

Copy.

• 8 months later...