Dinghy humans! Help!

Old multihull guy looking for a dinghy that will be fun to sail and able live on a truck/shell roof.  Maybe 12ish feet?  Been looking at RS Zest or Neo.  Simplicity, some speed, not horribly uncomfortable, not too expensive.  Something to beach launch and thrash for a couple hours.  Thanks for ideas

I emailed, I’m on the west coast. Don’t see a local dealer listed. What are the goods and bads of RS Zest v Neo v Rocket or other similar?  Thanks!

14 hours ago, mundt said:

I emailed, I’m on the west coast. Don’t see a local dealer listed. What are the goods and bads of RS Zest v Neo v Rocket or other similar?  Thanks!

Rotomolded boats (ie Zest) and amazingly durable... but are quite a bit heavier, so keep an eye on weight. Modern composite boats are very light (ie: aero, rocket).

Everything else, I think is easily observable - sail size tells you the power, and how much you'll have to hike. Modern laminate sail + cf rigs are super easy to depower in a blow. Know how hard you are prepared to work (hike) and watch videos, does the sailing shown match your idea of a good time?

• Like 1
On 4/28/2021 at 2:26 PM, mundt said:

Is the fulcrum rocket being built and sold?

Believe so. Talk to Fulcrum. With their UFO's, it seems that most are simply shipped direct to the customer from the Fulcrum facility in RI. Could be same plans for the Rocket. Talk to Fulcrum.

• Like 1

I think the Rocket is either way - you can order through dealers (eastcoastsailing?) - or maybe one or two others - or direct from factory. 

That is a cool looking boat. I'm like that "sales guys" (sales people are easily sold) who might get sold on stuff I don't need.

But it seems to me that having something like that Rocket and a 2nd boat (more inside bench seating, less wet) could cover a lot of bases for some fun loving sailors. I have always considered the idea of being able to row a big plus b/c rowing is (IMHO) one of the best core exercises. 

So the Rocket might be the older (or less athletic) persons planing single hander - and same could have a beater or two (storage always matters) for company or real day sailing. I wouldn't look at the Rocket myself as a day sailor - more a "one hour sailor". Truth be sold, my wife usually tells me to drop her off on shore after about that much time. 

I won'd be surprised if they meet their targets or more with that. 5K is a magic number IMHO.

They are building boats now and shipping them to dealers (for customers who ordered) and I suppose direct also to those far away. 

They should offer a marketing deal where the first owners get $30 in factory credit for each demo sail they take an interested party out in.....referred from the factory. A good way to make friends and also to get the demand up.

• Like 1