Michael Collins, Apollo 11 - DTS

Fair winds ...

May be an image of 1 person and text that says 'IFLS IFLScience @IFLScience We're sad to hear that Michael Collins, the Apollo 11 astronaut who participated in the mission that first put people on the moon, has died at the age of 90. NAS JLLINS 5:30 PM Apr 28, 2021 Twitter Web App'FI

• Like 1

Collins was said to be the smartest and most educated of all the Apollo astronauts.
The picture he took of L.E.M. on it's way to the Moon's surface, with the Earth as the backdrop was said to be a picture of everyone from Earth, except Michael Collins. Chilling thought.
Houston made a comment to Collins as he orbited the Moon as Armstrong and Aldrin made those giant steps for mankind, Ground Control point out to Collins that everybody on Earth was watching the event on TV...... except Michael Collins! 
Thank you sir for your service to our nation. Job well done.

• Like 7

What a life!

He was the loneliest person in history when he was on the far side of each orbit.

He always seemed an unlikely sort to be what he was - had a kind of Mr. Rogers quality about him.

Only 6 of them left.

Not many people can say they ever saw the dark side of the moon. He was one of the first. Prolly not exactly headstone material but for some reason it seems like an important thing to note. At least to my addled brain.

One of the pioneers. I would have loved to hear him tell his stories.

1 hour ago, Willin' said:

Not many people can say they ever saw the dark side of the moon. He was one of the first. Prolly not exactly headstone material but for some reason it seems like an important thing to note. At least to my addled brain.

One of the pioneers. I would have loved to hear him tell his stories.

I had that opportunity to hear him speak of the mission at a AOPA conference, as the same for Buzz Aldrin, and Neil Armstrong at other events.

These were some pretty humble guys.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

He was the loneliest person in history when he was on the far side of each orbit.

He always seemed an unlikely sort to be what he was - had a kind of Mr. Rogers quality about him.

Only 6 of them left.

Here is a quote from him:
“I don’t mean to deny a feeling of solitude. It is there, reinforced by the fact that radio contact with the Earth abruptly cuts off at the instant I disappear behind the moon. I am alone now, truly alone, and absolutely isolated from any known life. I am it. If a count were taken, the score would be three billion plus two over on the other side of the moon, and one plus God only knows what on this side. I feel this powerfully ― not as fear or loneliness ― but as awareness, anticipation, satisfaction, confidence, almost exultation. I like the feeling. Outside my window I can see stars — and that is all. Where I know the moon to be, there is simply a black void; the moon’s presence is defined solely by the absence of stars. To compare the sensation with something terrestrial, perhaps being alone in a skiff in the middle of the Pacific Ocean on a pitch-black night would most nearly approximate my situation.”

• Like 4
On 4/28/2021 at 11:10 AM, Snaggletooth said:

The oune that diddent gette to tacke that 'smalle steppe'

RIP MC

I heard when people asked about that he used to say "I drove the getaway car."   Good guy. 

• Like 1
On 4/28/2021 at 5:34 PM, nacradriver said:

These were some pretty humble guys.

I had occasion to have dinner with Buzz Aldrin a number of years back (and, as a corporate award, received a leather bomber jacket signed by him at that dinner.  Long story)

I was surprised how humble he actually was.  He comes across as bombastic and even at (then) 74 years old he practically vibrated with energy and enthusiasm.  And a big-time story teller.  But the stories were almost always about someone else's exploits, even though his been-there-done-that stuff would have put it to shame.