small craft Long Beach to Catalina

The other day I was sitting around thinking up stuff, which is always dangerous, and it occurred to me that SURELY, someone has sailed some small dinghy type boats out to Catalina and back.  I am aware that people do it on catamarans, some as small as 16s, and plenty of smallish keelboats, like Cal20s.  I am talking about Dutchmans (the plural of a Flying Dutchman), Coronado 15s, Lightnings, O'Days, etc.  I then spent two or three days on the internet "researching" and learned that (1) fisherman with motors do it all the time, and the grey aluminum 14s and 15s are not uncommon, and (2) someone did it on a Moth.  As to the former, they are used to having the iron wind, so they just don't THINK like we do.  As to the latter, HUH?  A MOTH?  I couldn't find who it is, but I did find several references to the trip.  Does anyone know about that?  Beyond that, I couldn't find much.  I can't believe that some adrenaline junkie from PB or SB hasn't cranked up the old laser and blasted out and back.  Does anyone have any myth and legend about doing that run on small sailing craft?  Just curious.  It's not like I am thinking about doing it in a Wayfarer.  I'm not.  That didn't even occur to me.   

My brothers and I (sometimes together, sometimes separately) sailed from Del Rey to Catalina quite a few times in a 19' cat ketch sharpie that Dad built. Camped on the beach and it was a blast. We were in high school back in the days when parents taught and trusted their kids and turned 'em loose. Good times!

• Like 2

THAT's what I  am talking about.  I want to find out about the guy who has sailed a Moth out and back.  I am taking time off from my usual past-time of  looking at naughty things on the internet (I mean motorcycles) for this.  

About 20 years ago, I took a 19' Boston Whaler Outrage from Santa Barbara to Avalon to Mission Bay, on a delivery as the owner didn't have a trailer.  Two years later, he calls me back and wanted it back in Santa Barbara.  That was a little tougher of a trip!  

• Like 1

When I was young and needed to sell more boats I made a ocean shell that weighed @ 30lbs. she was 19" wide and 19' long.  I rowed in a race from Cherry Cove. to MDR.  Between the sharks and the freighters it wasn't much fun, and the boat was so radical with Clark foam forward riggers that no one could relate to it.  You live and you learn.