how would you respond to this missive from your commodore?

so the grand poobah of our little dogpatch wednesday night sailing club sent this out to his master email list. 

particularly the last sentence. This is the entirety of the message, the ellipsis replace any personal identifying information.

I am not participating in the current series. Nor was I involved with the RC last evening. 

I'm really just curious how others might react to receiving something like this.

I've had a number of complaints on last nights RC.  Horns going off late, horns going off out of sequence with the flags, late start, etc.

I'd like to reiterate the RC responsibilities for everyone.

1.  The first page in the RC book that is at the stand tells you what you need to do.  READ IT.

2.  No more than 3 people on the RC stand.  Three is all you need.  One to check boats in, one to manage the flags, and one to watch the time to ensure the races and the prestart start on time.  Anymore than 3 and you have people standing around with nothing to do but interfere with the Race Committee.  This is not a get together or a party.  The RC has a job to do, an important one.  If you want to have a get together do it AFTER the race.

3.  The first horn goes off at 5:55 and that is started by turning on the red switch on the horn box (This is in the book and in the instructions) at 5:55:50.  NOT 6:00, NOT 6:04 or 6:03.  READ THE INSTRUCTIONS.  Everything after that is automatic.

4.  The raising and lowering of the flags is supposed to be synchronized with each horn and the only way you can accomplish that is to be prepared for the horns to sound. (That's the person watching the time).

Once all the boats have started put the horn and the flags away and get prepared to record the finish times.

This isn't rocket science here but it does require your attention.  If anyone feels that they have attention deficit or a reading  comprehension so severe that they would not be able to accomplish the above let me know.

• Like 1

Sounds like the Commodore is annoyed and that the Race Committee Chair needs to hold a training session. Getting all the signals and timing right is not overly difficult, but it is not as easy as he makes it sound, even if the horns are automated.  We have the instructions written out under a clear sheet of plastic on the RC boat so everyone can see them. Do the complainers do their share of serving on the RC too?  If their fellow club members are messing up on the RC, perhaps individual talks with them would be more effective than the Commodore's rant. 

Doing RC is a pretty thankless job. It's easy to fuck it up, but there's no reason to go after them like that. Is your RC paid or volunteer?

At my last club, for years we had one individual (who was very talented) run RC each week. I believe he received some compensation. One week, he messed something up and someone went off on him - and that was it, he quit on the spot. From then on we set up a system where teams rotated on RC duty each week. We had several training courses to go over the timing, flags, etc. There were learning pains for sure, but suffice it to say that everyone gained an appreciation of what goes into running races, and there were far fewer complaints afterwards. 

• Like 5

It was the first WNR? If so, that email is a bit brash. A email worded with affirmation of the struggles, and the effort to have training continued would have been more appropriate.  People in power do not always need to be a dick.

• Like 5

as a frequent RC volunteer I would kindly tell him to fuck off, then never work a race again. Is this RC paid? Are they children he's writing this to? If he doesnt like how its being done then he should get off his ass and do it himself.

• Like 15

Never Ever loose the opportunity to do a Good Job BAD!!

Next, take the one who is bitching the most/loudest and inform em..  Your RC next week - usually shuts them up in a heartbeat.

Next..  make sure this weeks RC leaves the bar with their tab PAID IN FULL.

and if someone gets their Feelings Hurt... 

Just Look Left

Everyone's an Expert until they have to do the JOB

• Like 6
24 minutes ago, Dark'N'Stormy said:

Doing RC is a pretty thankless job. It's easy to fuck it up, but there's no reason to go after them like that. Is your RC paid or volunteer?

At my last club, for years we had one individual (who was very talented) run RC each week. I believe he received some compensation. One week, he messed something up and someone went off on him - and that was it, he quit on the spot. From then on we set up a system where teams rotated on RC duty each week. We had several training courses to go over the timing, flags, etc. There were learning pains for sure, but suffice it to say that everyone gained an appreciation of what goes into running races, and there were far fewer complaints afterwards. 

thanks for the reply. this is strictly volunteer. I was really just trying to get a head check and make sure my reaction to this email wasn't wrong. each crew that races is supposed to pick a week to volunteer for RC.  Personally, I can run our wed night races by myself without any trouble. As he said, it aint rocket science, but I also have the luxury of having attended umpteen million RC seminars at AYC and run a bunch of them for my other club around the corner.  I think what twisted my knickers the most was that he chose to broadcast this message wideband to the membership instead of having a little chat with the crew that ran the races last night, then offering to host a couple instructional sessions. A lot of these people only get around to "their" night every couple years or so. and frequently the horn machine has dead batteries... I always take my own air horn up there with me.    Personally I think our commodore is a douchenozzle with control issues... but that's just my opinion LOL

• Like 5
55 minutes ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

so the grand poobah of our little dogpatch wednesday night sailing club sent this out to his master email list. 

particularly the last sentence. This is the entirety of the message, the ellipsis replace any personal identifying information.

I am not participating in the current series. Nor was I involved with the RC last evening. 

I'm really just curious how others might react to receiving something like this.

I've had a number of complaints on last nights RC.  Horns going off late, horns going off out of sequence with the flags, late start, etc.

1.  The first page in the RC book that is at the stand tells you what you need to do.  READ IT.

2.  No more than 3 people on the RC stand.  Three is all you need.  One to check boats in, one to manage the flags, and one to watch the time to ensure the races and the prestart start on time.  Anymore than 3 and you have people standing around with nothing to do but interfere with the Race Committee.  This is not a get together or a party.  The RC has a job to do, an important one.  If you want to have a get together do it AFTER the race.

3.  The first horn goes off at 5:55 and that is started by turning on the red switch on the horn box (This is in the book and in the instructions) at 5:55:50.  NOT 6:00, NOT 6:04 or 6:03.  READ THE INSTRUCTIONS.  Everything after that is automatic.

4.  The raising and lowering of the flags is supposed to be synchronized with each horn and the only way you can accomplish that is to be prepared for the horns to sound. (That's the person watching the time).

Once all the boats have started put the horn and the flags away and get prepared to record the finish times.

This isn't rocket science here but it does require your attention.  If anyone feels that they have attention deficit or a reading  comprehension so severe that they would not be able to accomplish the above let me know.

If he's a WASP, call him a Wasp Bastard and tell him to fuck off

• Like 2
1 minute ago, SailRacer said:

It is all about the flags. 

Just be thankful the writer of that letter is only in the job for 1 yr (Or Less)

akshully he's been in this position for far too long.. a few years now... it's not a regular yacht or sailing club... it's sole function is to operate these wed night races... 

1 hour ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

Did the commodore not pass the open book race management test?

26 STARTING RACES

Races shall be started by using the following signals. Times shall be taken from the visual signals; the absence of a sound signal shall be disregarded.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, VWAP said:

Think you'll find that SIs may change RRS26 and to rely on sound signal rather than flags is a common and sensible change at clubs that use automated sound signals.

Hmmmm, everybody seems to think this was aimed or leveled at the RC exclusively..... but was it? Just curious about that or in reality is what he is saying is it is by a specific prescription and everyone involved in the evening racing needs to understand that.
The last bit is over the top and fueled by frustration. It is one of theose things you write in an email..... then edit it out before you hit send! He should have done that.....

7 minutes ago, JimC said:

Think you'll find that SIs may change RRS26 and to rely on sound signal rather than flags is a common and sensible change at clubs that use automated sound signals.

SI were not posted on this site

5 minutes ago, JimC said:

not the case here. and not really the issue. more about bedside manner and how he chose to address this issue than anything else. but thanks for playing. 

We have a long line. If it's blowing more than 8-10 knots the sound signals can't really be heard at the far end of the line. RRS26 and it's emphasis on visual signals 

has always been stressed in years past when we did have instructional sessions on how to run the races.... As is the case in many situations, audio signals are a courtesy only and not to be relied upon for timing your starts. Although I'd be willing to bet that half the people racing here on wed nights do not know that. 

I can understand the commodore’s frustration, but that was incredibly awful wording and should not have been sent out like that. Like many of us here, I’ve done a lot of RC work, and it’s a thankless job we only do because we want to support the sport. We all get frustrated sometimes, but there’s better ways to deal with it. 

I still laugh my ass off at a situation last year. I was the PRO for one of our regional OD regattas. The wind was VERY puffy. Some new folks to the class turtled their boat before we’d even started the first race. Both of my support boats were tied up for quite awhile getting that boat upright and back to shore, so we spent quite a bit of time under AP. One of the skippers, who is perpetually at the top of the fleet at a worlds level, but also the nicest guy in the world, started venting his frustration to his own crew. Poor guy didn’t know the VHF in his pocket had a hot mic!  When he learned of that little oops, he apologized profusely and wouldn’t let me pay for a drink for quite awhile. After the regatta was over, I admitted to him I should’ve just sent the fleet back to the dock til the problem was sorted. Lesson learned for me. It’s amazing what a friendly chat can accomplish. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

thanks for the reply. this is strictly volunteer. I was really just trying to get a head check and make sure my reaction to this email wasn't wrong. each crew that races is supposed to pick a week to volunteer for RC.  Personally, I can run our wed night races by myself without any trouble. As he said, it aint rocket science, but I also have the luxury of having attended umpteen million RC seminars at AYC and run a bunch of them for my other club around the corner.  I think what twisted my knickers the most was that he chose to broadcast this message wideband to the membership instead of having a little chat with the crew that ran the races last night, then offering to host a couple instructional sessions. A lot of these people only get around to "their" night every couple years or so. and frequently the horn machine has dead batteries... I always take my own air horn up there with me.    Personally I think our commodore is a douchenozzle with control issues... but that's just my opinion LOL

I see your point, and definitely agree. He should have spoken privately with the group doing RC first, then made a broader announcement about doing more training, seminars, etc. Plus, understanding RC helps out with your racing technique as well.

2 hours ago, Mark Set said:

as a frequent RC volunteer I would kindly tell him to fuck off, then never work a race again.

Yup. It's a Wed night race, not a big deal if the sequence starts a few minutes early or late.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Zonker said:

Yup. It's a Wed night race, not a big deal if the sequence starts a few minutes early or late.

Commodore needs to chill. What an ass. Does it ever matter if a normal race starts at a preset time? I know some slackers wanted such nonsense back when I was doing RC. I said we would try, but the race starts when the signals say it starts. Period. Sequence precision is far more important to real racers than wall clock time. 

• Like 1

Have a large, waterproof sign made clearly, step by step listing sound & flag signals thru the sequence. Install it where it can always be read by the RC (like just below the flags). Rotate the volunteers thru the 3 positions. Any person who complains is automatically the RC the next week.

I think some folks here take the Wednesday night racing a bit too seriously.  Especially at this venue.  The races are largely a parade after the start with few tactical options to make a move.  I try not to ever criticize the RC (at any venue).  I am just happy some people volunteered their time so I can race.  I think it is one of the most thankless jobs you can find anywhere.  I think a much gentler reminder would have been more appropriate...

Bg.   As past commodore if our small boat club and manager of quite a few events, including a nationals.  Totally get the frustrations.    The email seems ok to me except for the last paragraph.

sound like he sent it off before reaching out to the rc to get their side of the story ....

not very many people want to be in charge, and even more are willing to let the wrong person do the job, lest they get volunteered.  And of those, many are willing to armchair qb and complain, but not help solve the problem.  

In golf, People complain about the condition of the greens, lousy traps, divots, slow play.  But they are the same one that won’t rake a trap, fix a ball mark, prattle on, laser range every single shot outside of 20 yards, and take 5 practice swings and still top the ball.

my response, to the author privately, if there was one, would be one word    “Noted”  

If I as feeling a bit Randy then I could see adding  

“but I’ve got add, so what do I know”

but if I wasn’t  racing, I’d likely snicker under my breath, “poor schmucks”, and go to the next email  

Looks like your club needs  a new commodore.

“ incompetent asshole”  doesnt begin to describe the antisocial jackwit’s performance. 

• Downvote 1
3 minutes ago, Borax Johnson said:

How tall is he? Short Man's disorder?

hehehehe

• Downvote 1

I was always taught "praise in public, chastise in private". Especially important with volunteers I think. 

It's not unreasonable for competitors to complain about poor show by the RC. But there's probably a better way to deal with it, especially if this was a one-off and not a chronic problem. 

If the club thinks an incompetent volunteer RC is bad wait til they try running their races with no volunteers. 

• Like 7
4 hours ago, SailRacer said:

It is all about the flags. 

Just be thankful the writer of that letter is only in the job for 1 yr (Or Less)

Quite right SailRacer.

RRS 26.1 states VERY clearly "Times shall be taken from the visual signals; the absence of a sound signal shall be disregarded."

If the sound signal is a bit off it is inconvenient or annoying but nothing more according to the rule.

His point "4.  The raising and lowering of the flags is supposed to be synchronized with each horn"  is back to front. Shouldn't the 'commodore' have a better understanding of the rules?

If he is that unhappy he should do the job himself.

A volunteer will feel bad enough if they get it wrong without a public roasting which as @TJSoCal so correctly says above is completely wrong. 

Yep, that’s a ‘How Not to Have RC volunteers’ in one simple lesson. I’ve actually enjoyed doing RC from time to time.  It’s fun, it’s ‘serious’ and it IS a social opportunity.  Best way to get to know other club members too!  Sometimes the RC screws up.  We’ve all done it.  But it’s really great when you get a nicely set start line and a good sequence.  There’s pride in that.... but, yeah, don’t piss me off...!

20 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

Quite right SailRacer.

RRS 26.1 states VERY clearly "Times shall be taken from the visual signals; the absence of a sound signal shall be disregarded."

If the sound signal is a bit off it is inconvenient or annoying but nothing more according to the rule.

His point "4.  The raising and lowering of the flags is supposed to be synchronized with each horn"  is back to front. Shouldn't the 'commodore' have a better understanding of the rules?

If he is that unhappy he should do the job himself.

A volunteer will feel bad enough if they get it wrong without a public roasting which as @TJSoCal so correctly says above is completely wrong. 

Yes it's the flags and not the sounds. But it sounds like in this event the sound signals are automated so if the flags are out of sync with the horns it's likely the flags are mistimed. And if competitors are running their own start timers it's frustrating when either the sound or visual signals aren't correctly timed. 

It does sound like the RC needs to take a round turn. It's just not proper to scold them publicly. 

• Like 1

A few uninformed opinions here... so typical SA.

The RC for this club is a rotating assignment, every boat has to sit out one race and do RC duty. Positive is that the burden is shared, negative is that no one is particularly experienced and some teams give the RC duty more or less attention. 

Gotta say though, not sure that the OP posting the email to this site has much business complaining about tone.

6 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

Dear Commodore,

Thank you for your tactful and constructive email.   Im sure it sent a positive message that will encourage the correct  behaviour from RC volunteers .  I would like to accept your request to let you know that I have attention deficit and a reading  comprehension so severe that I am not be able to accomplish the above.   

I will thus be in the club bar this coming Wednesday enjoying a cold beer at 5,55.50 (Not 6.00 or 6.o4 or 6.03) and unavailable for RC.  I would offer to bring a couple of cold ones out to the three poor sods in the RC stand as a gesture of appreciation for their work but this is NOT a get together and when was volunteering to be RC meant to be fun? Not here I hope!  It is important not to let any hint of enjoyment of the company of fellow members creep into the RC. Unless the task of RC seems onerous and thankless , it will not be done properly.  We clearly have the right commodore who knows how to properly chastise and humiliate our volunteers.  Keep up the good work.

Yours in Appreciation,

Eye

• Like 5

Dick move. Reasonable post (for SA) about an internal club email, and it ends up on the front page?

Sheesh. "praise in public, chastise in private" ????

What's next? Scuttlebutt jumping on the bandwagon.

Take it down.

I would say to the Commodore that his email was inappropriate and the tone was berating and belittling.  As so many others have said, a quiet word with the volunteers would have been an appropriate response, and some effort into training.

After a major fuckup of finishing times at a recent regatta, the flag officer responsible for racing made sure that he was on board the finishing boat the next regatta, and trained the volunteer staff so it wouldn't happen again.  That's the way to do it, not the way this dick has gone about matters.

BnG, why not send him a link to this thread?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Recidivist said:

the flag officer responsible for racing made sure that he was on board the finishing boat the next regatta, and trained the volunteer staff so it wouldn't happen again

Ding!

Ding!

Ding ding ding ding!

12 minutes ago, stief said:

Dick move. Reasonable post (for SA) about an internal club email, and it ends up on the front page?

Sheesh. "praise in public, chastise in private" ????

What's next? Scuttlebutt jumping on the bandwagon.

Take it down.

meh, I think it's kinda funny. Nobody reads the front page anyway do they? ;)

Just now, Bump-n-Grind said:

meh, I think it's kinda funny. Nobody reads the front page anyway do they? ;)

well, as long as you're OK, that's good enough for me. I was thinking you worded your OP well, asking for a temperature check, and in effect your post got 'outed'.

I was worried you would be outed in your community as a result, and suffer. Glad I'm wrong.

(I agree the commodore communicated poorly. Though it would be ironic if the commodore was a volunteer, as is the case here.  Usually we take turns, and the role is dumped on the newbies ;) )

10 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

How do you start a sequence at 5:50 pm by throwing a switch at 5:50:50?  

By raising the flag at 5.50 and throwing the switch 50 seconds later? and if anyone complains, refer them to the commodore!

16 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

How do you start a horn sequence at 5:50 pm by throwing a switch at 5:50:50?  

with an Ollie.. automated timer that blows a horn. ... there's a few others out there as well...  but it's just for the horn... the timer also gives you a beep sequence for raising and lowering the signal flags... they actually work pretty well, (if they're charged up)... to the point where, like I said, I could run these races by myself... and have on many occasions. it frees up both hands for raising and lowering the flags. 

If he likes to complain I would park in ass igned commodores parking spot every Wednesday night until he apologies to everyone and buys everyone a round of beer and a box of edibles.

He should have waited until the morning and reviewed his e mail before sending it.  When in doubt delay, delay, delay in flaming volunteers, especially RCs.  I always make it a point to sail by the finish boat/tower and thank them even if they did fuck up.  It is a thankless job.  And...it doesn't sound like this is the fucking Olympics.  Shit happens, major overreaction.  He owes the entire bar a round of boat drinks!

• Like 1

RC is both a thankless and pain in the ass job. if them fucking up was a one off thing then yeah the commodore needs to get his panties out of  twist. if it's an ongoing problem sometimes people need to get called out and the RC chair needs to do his job and make sure people are trained. 

5 hours ago, VWAP said:

If he likes to complain I would park in ass igned commodores parking spot every Wednesday night...

You guys do realize this isn’t the NYYC, there’s no “assigned spot”, paid staff, or twenty committees.  It’s a paper club and the commodore is a volunteer too.

There’s only a handful of folks who put in time to keep the races going, and the only ask of the boats & crews is to put in one Wed night a season doing RC duty.

So yes, without the RC, there would be no race. But the RC isn’t a group of selfless volunteers, they are just race crews who benefit from this all season. 

A group email makes sense because everyone will have RC duty and the issues are not restricted to any one RC.  Last season two different RCs missed recording our finish, for example.)

This entire thread is in poor taste.

57 minutes ago, Salona said:

I do notte adgree, the OP has pressented a situatione that sparked valuballe discussione on trickey topices.  'Vollunteeres', 'expectationes: on bothe sides', and 'criticalle feedbacke' our alle trickey topices as showne by numerouse responses. 

:)

1 hour ago, Salona said:

You guys do realize this isn’t the NYYC, there’s no “assigned spot”, paid staff, or twenty committees.  It’s a paper club and the commodore is a volunteer too.

There’s only a handful of folks who put in time to keep the races going, and the only ask of the boats & crews is to put in one Wed night a season doing RC duty.

So yes, without the RC, there would be no race. But the RC isn’t a group of selfless volunteers, they are just race crews who benefit from this all season. 

A group email makes sense because everyone will have RC duty and the issues are not restricted to any one RC.  Last season two different RCs missed recording our finish, for example.)

The commodore probably could have given more thought to the phrasing of his email but its a volunteer role, an RC had pooched an evening and he just wanted to send a stiff warning to everyone that "lets do this properly!"    It came across poorly in the last paragraph but lets not all be too thin skinned about this........lets just go sailing!

Usually general emails like that are sent out in social clubs because the person in authority is unwilling to directly confront or correct the actual offenders.

'If one more kid shits in the pool'.  'If one more kid runs through the dining room'  etc. you will all be punished! 

It is usually met with replies of fuck off, my kids are well behaved, talk to the regular offenders. Everyone knows who they are.  

as the grand poobah of my club , I'm pretty shoot from the hip, say it like it is kinda guy.....BUT I wouldn't have been so condescending in an email. I like brevity...my email would have said  "What The Fuck" ?   

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

Great message. Perfect as is. You must me one of those sissy sensitive types.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, PaulK said:

If their fellow club members are messing up on the RC, perhaps individual talks with them would be more effective than the Commodore's rant. 

This is almost always the correct approach. 

Chicken shit move in my opinion...

Regardless of your grievances with RC, sending out an email like this, especially from the top of the mast is 100% disrespectful. Have the fucking balls to talk about and handle the situation in person, PROTEST the RC the official way, or shut the fuck up. 

If I was a VOLUNTEER on RC and a full voting member of the club, I would be at the very next board meeting making a motion to censure the Commodore. 

Now with that being said, RC has the same responsibility to follow the rules and procedures as the racers do. This is why the old "Naaa....It doesn't matter, it's just Wednesday night beer can racing" attitude is always problematic and if there are issues they should be addressed. However, this approach is just an asshole way to deal with a situation by someone that has super huge ego and zero management or people skills. This makes me wonder, how did this ass-clown end up Commodore?

• Downvote 1
32 minutes ago, Jubblies said:

If I was a VOLUNTEER on RC and a full voting member of the club, I would be at the very next board meeting making a motion to censure the Commodore. 

Again, folks are not really understanding it. RC isn't really volunteers - it's a rotating duty. You want to race, you get assigned one day as RC duty. So people should give it the same attention they give to racing.  

• Like 3
45 minutes ago, Jubblies said:

However, this approach is just an asshole way to deal with a situation by someone that has super huge ego and zero management or people skills.

More of an asshole than slamming people you've never met on circumstances you don't understand?

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Salona said:

Again, folks are not really understanding it. RC isn't really volunteers - it's a rotating duty. You want to race, you get assigned one day as RC duty. So people should give it the same attention they give to racing. 

I would agree the RC duty (in this case) appears to be a duty not a volunteer thing. Doesn't excuse the tone of the email or the general blast nature. This probably deserved two separate emails, one to the people who who were on duty that day and a separate one to the fleet reminding them that if they don't take this duty seriously they will get errors and confusion.

Its not necessarily the commodores 'job' to train the RC and its possible that in this situation the commodore is the only actual 'volunteer' in this situation, maybe this was the final rant for the commodore fed up with the unreasonable expectations of the rest of the fleet before they quit. (Maybe not :) )

Imagine at the fleet meeting the commodore started with:

"No other fucker was willing to do this job so you have to put up with me again. You all claim you know what to do on your RC nights, but I'm happy to show you again where everything is, and the pre-race checklist. We have done everything we can to make this foolproof. Please make sure whoever is responsible for RC on your night knows what they are doing and follows the list so we can avoid what happened last year. If they are not sure get them to call me to run through it again. Any more whining and you can find yourself a new commodore"

This is probably not what happened, but I know that while some commodores bask in the glory of their post as a flag officer, some are only in that position because they were not quick enough to step back when a volunteer was called for.

• Like 1

I think if you had any familiarity with the club or personalities, you'd understand that no one is "basking in glory".  It's a thankless job and all the folks who normally bitch to him, are now joined by strangers with no idea what's going on who think they should offer their management tips. 

• Like 1

As a reminder for everyone - yacht club crap has sucked this passed year. Comming back and doing race committee is only a little bit of what the club does. People in general suck and when you add hierarchy where it takes year or decades to finally be able to chair the club for free adds to that.

I would have hated being elected commodore of the club, being the fucker that said no to nearly every thing because of restrictions, couldn't see my yacht club friends, worried about budgets, declines in memberships, no activities and people just not showing up to commitees and living whole expierence via Zoom without getting paid.

I am glad most yacht clubs started racing again. If you think the club sucks in one way or another - fucking join the committee and do something to change it. remember a social club that puts on races for its members is a commitment but is never manatory. it isnt about showing up with your race boat on race day or for drinks and saying why are you doing more to make sure i am having fun.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, DarthSailor said:

Pardon my ignorance but what is a RC stand?

YM_yUTEBMHCyHlGpu_y1RgJvnYcaqzjELEqgaHFI

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1
3 minutes ago, DarthSailor said:

Pardon my ignorance but what is a RC stand?

I interpreted that as a platform on the clubhouse deck with race flags. Also used as a bully pulpit by this commodore when they get roaring drunk.

13 hours ago, Salona said:

The RC for this club is a rotating assignment, every boat has to sit out one race and do RC duty. Positive is that the burden is shared, negative is that no one is particularly experienced and some teams give the RC duty more or less attention. 

Gotta say though, not sure that the OP posting the email to this site has much business complaining about tone.

Well that changes the dynamic a bit I think. If every boat eventually has RC duty and one boat gaffed it off when it was their turn, it seems reasonable to call them out in front of the fleet. But I think I'd still have used more moderate language (drop last sentence) unless that boat was a repeat offender.

Edited to add - if all or most boats screw up when it's their turn to do RC then maybe look inward - perhaps your process isn't as simple as you think it is and needs refinement or training.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, TJSoCal said:

Well that changes the dynamic a bit I think. If every boat eventually has RC duty and one boat gaffed it off when it was their turn, it seems reasonable to call them out in front of the fleet. But I think I'd still have used more moderate language (drop last sentence) unless that boat was a repeat offender.

Long ago a club with rotating RC duty had one clueless boat come out and put up EVERY marker board they had :o The course looked like the result of a demented spider trying to spin a web on LSD and one leg was about 200 feet long.  They had no idea you only picked a few marks :rolleyes:

• Like 1

That blast message looks like its right out of PA - beyond rude. 

Not only that, but it violates the Second Rule of sailboat racing, which is that the RC is always right, even when they are wrong. 

(First Rule is to be sure to only race on someone else's boat) 

• Downvote 1

If every teams do the RC in turns, and one team doesn't do it seriously and party on duty, then this team shows very little respect for the others, so the letter I figure out. Posting that letter on a forum without context suggest, maybe, a desire for discord?

• Like 1

I agree with the overall message that RC duty needs to be taken seriously.  That last line is a bit passive/aggressive which is always a douchy way of dealing with people.  

20 hours ago, VWAP said:

26 STARTING RACES

Races shall be started by using the following signals. Times shall be taken from the visual signals; the absence of a sound signal shall be disregarded.

He's following Rule 1 of Bad Leadership... focus on the underling's fuck-ups, ignore your own.

His fuck up is to not work ahead of time with the race chair to give some training to all who are willing to volunteer. And some cookies once the've done so.

1 minute ago, markwbird said:

I agree with the overall message that RC duty needs to be taken seriously.  That last line is a bit passive/aggressive which is always a douchy way of dealing with people.  

Is "douchy" a polite way of saying he needs a kick in the ass and a good stint recruiting & training volunteers before opening his pie hole ever again?

- DSK

• Downvote 1

Races run this way make me not want to participate - even in a beer can, it's frustrating to not get flags/courses/horns/finishes correct. I think asking people to shape up is quite alright. I've done serious and beercan RC, and would not be offended to be called out if I was not on my game. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Borracho said:

I interpreted that as a platform on the clubhouse deck with race flags. Also used as a bully pulpit by this commodore when they get roaring drunk.

Thank You

5 hours ago, VWAP said:

YM_yUTEBMHCyHlGpu_y1RgJvnYcaqzjELEqgaHFI

Fuck You

3 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

He's

Is "douchy" a polite way of saying he needs a kick in the ass and a good stint recruiting & training volunteers before opening his pie hole ever again?

- DSK

It means he graduated from the Mike Pompousahole school of Interpersonal Communicationd

This whole thread makes me happy I don’t sail with you thin-skinned pussies.

And “bump”... shouldn’t you be sailing 1d, instead of handicap in the WR? Annapolis competition too much for ya?

10 hours ago, dacapo said:

as the grand poobah of my club , I'm pretty shoot from the hip, say it like it is kinda guy.....BUT I wouldn't have been so condescending in an email. I like brevity...my email would have said  "What The Fuck" ?   

Oh pleezze. You oare qween of the puzzies. :)

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Salona said:

Thanks for the clarification.
OP airing dirty laundry is just as much culpable as the frustrated Commodore.

Difference is Commodore actually has to deal with people like the OP. Can you blame him for losing it? 

• Like 1

At least the commodore doesn’t have to deal with the rusted out tools that “Bump” leaves on his dock for 8 months. I don’t know why, but the lack of attention to caring for tools bothers me more than this post.

47 minutes ago, quod umbra said:

Oh pleezze. You oare qween of the puzzies. :)

ok boomer

• Like 1

Others have hit on this, but it's typical chicken shit behavior.  It's not unique, but it is sad.  Frustration happens. Sometimes we say/write things that we shouldn't or wouldn't without further contemplation.  It happens.  The more mature of us apologize.

That said, insulting in public is just cowardly and a damning indication of the character of the insulter.  The statements that imply that others are stupid do absolutely nothing to move things forward or towards improvement.  And yes, they're cowardly too.  Is leadership easy? no.  Is there a set of responsibilities that come with it? yes.  Are you invested in somehow feeling better by insulting people or are you invested in better outcomes?

Dealing with a similar "leader" at work at the moment, so it's top of mind.  The problem is that the "leader" is less intelligent than me (hence barely able to walk and chew gum) so the exchanges usually start with some stupid text like that in the OP.  I respond with facts.  50% of the time there's a follow-up with some contrived reasoning.  I respond with facts again and there's never a response.  Do I feel better? no.  Does he feel embarrassed?  who knows?  I don't care.

So there you have my trivial summary and bias.

Because most people need to credentialize, I'll say that I have a large group working for me, and a larger group waiting for me to hire them because I don't respond like the Commodore did in the OP - even though there are times that I have considered it.

18 minutes ago, PurpleOnion said:

Others have hit on this, but it's typical chicken shit behavior.  It's not unique, but it is sad.  Frustration happens. Sometimes we say/write things that we shouldn't or wouldn't without further contemplation.  It happens.  The more mature of us apologize.

That said, insulting in public is just cowardly and a damning indication of the character of the insulter.  The statements that imply that others are stupid do absolutely nothing to move things forward or towards improvement.  And yes, they're cowardly too.  Is leadership easy? no.  Is there a set of responsibilities that come with it? yes.  Are you invested in somehow feeling better by insulting people or are you invested in better outcomes?

Dealing with a similar "leader" at work at the moment, so it's top of mind.  The problem is that the "leader" is less intelligent than me (hence barely able to walk and chew gum) so the exchanges usually start with some stupid text like that in the OP.  I respond with facts.  50% of the time there's a follow-up with some contrived reasoning.  I respond with facts again and there's never a response.  Do I feel better? no.  Does he feel embarrassed?  who knows?  I don't care.

So there you have my trivial summary and bias.

Because most people need to credentialize, I'll say that I have a large group working for me, and a larger group waiting for me to hire them because I don't respond like the Commodore did in the OP - even though there are times that I have considered it.

You sound like a little triggered bitch