how would you respond to this missive from your commodore?

On 4/30/2021 at 2:36 PM, quod umbra said:

Oh pleezze. You oare qween of the puzzies. :)

Only someone like Quahog would co-opt Snaggies schtick, do it badly and think he's clever.

8 hours ago, JanetC Gougeon32 said:

Personally, I like the Dutch Uncle approach, when it's someone else getting yelled at. When I'm the one getting yelled at it's hilarious. And the best part of being the one getting yelled at is that I won't make that mistake again, I'll make a completely new one. 

hi•la•ri•ous   Characterized by or causing great merriment. Gleefully gay or merry; manifesting high spirits; exhilarated; jolly. adj. Mirthful; noisy; merry.

I respectfully and non-misogynistically call "bullshit." This is doubtless a corollary of the "I don't gift a fuck" persona that no one believes because we have eyes and ears and are over 10 yrs old.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

hi•la•ri•ous   Characterized by or causing great merriment. Gleefully gay or merry; manifesting high spirits; exhilarated; jolly. adj. Mirthful; noisy; merry.

I respectfully and non-misogynistically call "bullshit." This is doubtless a corollary of the "I don't gift a fuck" persona that no one believes because we have eyes and ears and are over 10 yrs 

Finally someone who understands my sense of humor ; ) 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Left Shift said:

Only someone like Quahog would co-opt Snaggies schtick, do it badly and think he's clever.

Well see I think that Scarsdale High School education, "on 14 acres of land" as you put it, did not serve you quite as well as you think it dide. :)

Someday, maybe, I will tell you all a great story known as "The Ruse". It would serve to shed light and understanding why a considerable number of people on this website would disagree with you on who I may, or may not be.

I can tell you the person I posted that for...... he might not be so certain you are 100% correct.

On 4/29/2021 at 4:29 PM, Bump-n-Grind said:

thanks for the reply. this is strictly volunteer. I was really just trying to get a head check and make sure my reaction to this email wasn't wrong. each crew that races is supposed to pick a week to volunteer for RC.  Personally, I can run our wed night races by myself without any trouble. As he said, it aint rocket science, but I also have the luxury of having attended umpteen million RC seminars at AYC and run a bunch of them for my other club around the corner.  I think what twisted my knickers the most was that he chose to broadcast this message wideband to the membership instead of having a little chat with the crew that ran the races last night, then offering to host a couple instructional sessions. A lot of these people only get around to "their" night every couple years or so. and frequently the horn machine has dead batteries... I always take my own air horn up there with me.    Personally I think our commodore is a douchenozzle with control issues... but that's just my opinion LOL

It sounds like your RC did a poor job, needs attention and leadership should address it in a constructive way.

Your commodore demonstrated he is a shit leader and therefore he should resign immediately.

Public humiliation of the those serving (poorly or not) on RC will leave them hostile, disinclined to serve or volunteer, and less enthusiastic/loyal to the club. Awesome job commodore.

Others observing the treatment of the RC may do a better job going forward and they may seek to avoid serving in volunteer capacity, especially under the direction of this commodore. Awesome job commodore.

The attempt at humour by referencing mental health and possibly childhood education issues shows the troglodyte level of wit (apologies to cave dwellers) of club leadership. Awesome job commodore.

Time for the membership to find new leaders who have the ability to engender enthusiasm and help staff and volunteers perform to their best and feel good about it.

AND for good measure you could role model the leadership your commodore should aspire to. Take him aside discreetly and help him understand the potentially destructive aspects of his communication. Help him explore constructive ways he could have intervened to address the performance issue while building enthusiasm and engagement.

You then get the payoff of  that secret warm glow of smug superiority and make your club better off. Win-win.

54 minutes ago, KC375 said:

AND for good measure you could role model the leadership your commodore should aspire to. Take him aside discreetly and help him understand the potentially destructive aspects of his communication. Help him explore constructive ways he could have intervened to address the performance issue while building enthusiasm and engagement.

Kinda like a "midnight stroll" with Commodore Dublin? 

2 hours ago, KC375 said:

It sounds like your RC did a poor job, needs attention and leadership should address it in a constructive way.

Your commodore demonstrated he is a shit leader and therefore he should resign immediately.

Public humiliation of the those serving (poorly or not) on RC will leave them hostile, disinclined to serve or volunteer, and less enthusiastic/loyal to the club. Awesome job commodore.

Others observing the treatment of the RC may do a better job going forward and they may seek to avoid serving in volunteer capacity, especially under the direction of this commodore. Awesome job commodore.

The attempt at humour by referencing mental health and possibly childhood education issues shows the troglodyte level of wit (apologies to cave dwellers) of club leadership. Awesome job commodore.

Time for the membership to find new leaders who have the ability to engender enthusiasm and help staff and volunteers perform to their best and feel good about it.

You then get the payoff of  that secret warm glow of smug superiority and make your club better off. Win-win.

Aren't most Commodores volunteers as well?  Here we all are publicly chastising a volunteer for making a mistake.  For me, the point is that if we want to grow the fleet numbers we should create an environment where it's ok for people to make mistakes and learn from them. 

4 hours ago, JanetC Gougeon32 said:

Aren't most Commodores volunteers as well?  Here we all are publicly chastising a volunteer for making a mistake.  For me, the point is that if we want to grow the fleet numbers we should create an environment where it's ok for people to make mistakes and learn from them. 

I don't know what club Bump belongs to. Enough others may know for  it to be a public chastising but as far as I can tell the only one who has done the public chastising is the Commodore.

I’m assuming the commodore is a volunteer. That is why I’m not suggesting C should be shot. I’m not even suggesting C should be publicly humiliated the way C treated the volunteer members of the RC. I’m suggesting C should resign based on self reflection. I’m also suggesting that Bump take C aside and role model the sort of positive and constructive leadership C is not showing. Talking through with someone the impact of their leadership style and offering them alternative approaches does not need to be a traumatic experience.

Yes the Commodore is likely a volunteer but that role is different from roles like serving on RC where folks may have been roped in or voluntold and are of limited duration and responsibility.

In most yacht clubs the Commodore is a governance role with all the responsibility that entails. These are fiduciary roles with real responsibilities and obligations. Typically Commodores stand for election (often unopposed) often based on advice of a selection committee. No one ends up Commodore unless they want the role. If they are not up to it they should not stand. If they are not up to it other flag officers should counsel stepping down.

6 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

Kinda like a "midnight stroll" with Commodore Dublin? 

I was thinking more like the private conversations many people have been kind enough to engage in with me when I’ve screwed up in the past. The most effective ones have used humour to disarm resistance and appealed to my empathy to help me appreciate how others might have interpreted my interventions differently than I intended.

4 minutes ago, KC375 said:

I was thinking more like the private conversations many people have been kind enough to engage in with me when I’ve screwed up in the past. The most effective ones have used humour to disarm resistance and appealed to my empathy to help me appreciate how others might have interpreted my interventions differently than I intended.

Yeah, I knew. I was alluding to a poster who is long gone.

• Like 1

Very good advice Mr @KC375 

but I would re-state what I wrote above.

That Commodore damaged the image of the organization around the entire region.  

That kind of rudeness sent out in the way it was will surely not be contained to Club membership. 

You cannot let it slide.  

52 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

Yeah, I knew. I was alluding to a poster who is long gone.

I thought you might be refering to Ian Dubin, styled Lord Dubin of Kellet Island:).

But as you spelled it Dublin (auto correct?) I was wondering if that was some referrence to how things got settled during the troubles, though the nastier score settling was usually ~100 miles north of there.

1 hour ago, KC375 said:

I thought you might be refering to Ian Dubin, styled Lord Dubin of Kellet Island:).

But as you spelled it Dublin (auto correct?) I was wondering if that was some referrence to how things got settled during the troubles, though the nastier score settling was usually ~100 miles north of there.

oops    My typo. I was referring to a poster who claimed to be from Hong Kong YC or somesuch. He was always talking about the midnight stroll apparently behind the YC and breaking someone's arm. I googled your reference, and I'd bet it's the same guy.

10 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

Very good advice Mr @KC375 

but I would re-state what I wrote above.

That Commodore damaged the image of the organization around the entire region.  

That kind of rudeness sent out in the way it was will surely not be contained to Club membership. 

You cannot let it slide.  

If I received that email, I might have mentioned it conversation to other club members, but wouldn't have shared it with anyone; and for me personally, an apology would have been more than adequate to mend fences. If C didn't apologize, and I felt like he stepped over a line (and again, I usually don't let things like this bother me, because I see no reason to allow someone else to control my feelings like that... sure I may have felt a tinge of frustration, but feelings like that come and go rather quickly for me) I would have mentioned to him in private my feelings regarding the email's tone. 

I have no problem with others disagreeing with me on this, and I understand and agree with those who mentioned an email like that isn't good for the sport. However, I also believe that asking someone to resign over something like is like throwing the baby out with the bath water because in my opinion volunteers should be given an opportunity to learn from their mistakes.  

To me, the single most important job everyone has as a volunteer and participant is to make EVERYONE feel welcome. At times, it's an impossible and thankless task, but over time, the approach pays off..... in my opinion.  I realize not everyone agrees with that, and I can certainly see both sides to this story. 

At the end of the day I'd rather be the guy who can run the RC boat like a pro than be the guy that people complain about because they traveled a few hundred miles to participate in an event that I ran poorly.  

But that's just me... 

• Like 1

Why do you need to respect the feelings of people that obviously don't give a fig about someone else? I'd say they deserve a swift kick in the tender parts!

In my club, like many others, RC duty for Wednesday night races rotates among the participating boats as well, when a boat has RC duty it isn't allowed to race that day. When it's our turn we take it seriously, show up in time to pick up the RC boat, get the marks, the flags and all other required equipment and papers. We lay out the course and make sure everything is ready at least 15 min before the start. After the finish we store everything away so that it's ready for next use and hand in the finish sheet so it can be entered in the scoring system. My buddy and I do this together, if there's a capable 3rd person available they're more than welcome to join us. Occasionally we take one or two kids along so they can watch mom or dad race from up close, but we make it clear that isn't our job to entertain the kids.

No problem with beginner's mistakes from newbie RC crews, everybody used to be one, and you have to learn somewhere. I spent time before my first duty studying the start procedure and the rules governing the start and how to lay a half-decent course. I can get pissed off when the Officers of the Day show up late or not at all, lay a shoddy course or fuck up the starting procedure. Especially if it's an experienced crew that is supposed to know better.

If there are several crews shirking or not performing their RC duties seriously, and the club doesn't have regular in-person meetings  I can understand that the club's Chairman or Commodore would send out an email like one in the OP. If I was taking my responsibilities seriously, I wouldn't feel that I was addressed and I would hope that the offenders took note and better their lives. If not, take them aside and have a conversation with them and penalise the bastards!

I used to play field hockey, the federation rule is that by the age of 16, every player has to have passed his referee's exam and be available to referee a number of matches per season. If you don't pass the exam you won't be eligible to play, if you don't turn up for referee duty there are repercussions. One of the considerations for this that hockey players are at high risk of injury (hard ball, sticks, only protection: shin guards and mouth guards) and one of the most important mitigating factors in this is a good understanding of the rules on the part of the players. Another is that there need to be referees to be able to play a match, if everybody chips in, the collective burden is lowered and the kids learn to contribute to their club.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, quod umbra said:

^^^This^^^

I'd bet for every one person who got their smalls in a bunch, there were a half dozen nodding in agreement.

You'd lose

Most people react negatively to in-your-face rudeness. That's why belittling others publicly is bad leadership

Period

Just because you wish you had the balls to talk nasty in real life, doesn't make it cool. If your goal is to impress everybody with what a dick head you are, then yeah. If your goal is to get people working productively, not so much

- DSK

• Like 3
6 hours ago, JanetC Gougeon32 said:

If I received that email, I might have mentioned it conversation to other club members, but wouldn't have shared it with anyone; and for me personally, an apology would have been more than adequate to mend fences. If C didn't apologize, and I felt like he stepped over a line (and again, I usually don't let things like this bother me, because I see no reason to allow someone else to control my feelings like that... sure I may have felt a tinge of frustration, but feelings like that come and go rather quickly for me) I would have mentioned to him in private my feelings regarding the email's tone. 

I have no problem with others disagreeing with me on this, and I understand and agree with those who mentioned an email like that isn't good for the sport. However, I also believe that asking someone to resign over something like is like throwing the baby out with the bath water because in my opinion volunteers should be given an opportunity to learn from their mistakes.  

To me, the single most important job everyone has as a volunteer and participant is to make EVERYONE feel welcome. At times, it's an impossible and thankless task, but over time, the approach pays off..... in my opinion.  I realize not everyone agrees with that, and I can certainly see both sides to this story. 

At the end of the day I'd rather be the guy who can run the RC boat like a pro than be the guy that people complain about because they traveled a few hundred miles to participate in an event that I ran poorly.  

But that's just me... 

In many club environments, Commodores are hard to find. Good ones can be impossible to find, they have to be cultivated... which means giving them a chance to recognize and correct their mistakes!

Working at improving RC perormance: good!

Public belittlement: umm, not the way to get it done. Please take a deep breath, think about your overall goal, and try again.

From what I've see/read, it seems likely that the people doing the poor RC work do in fact know better. They just need proper motivation (which is not always a euphemism for "kick in the pants")

FB- Doug

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

You'd lose

Most people react negatively to in-your-face rudeness. That's why belittling others publicly is bad leadership

Period

Just because you wish you had the balls to talk nasty in real life, doesn't make it cool. If your goal is to impress everybody with what a dick head you are, then yeah. If your goal is to get people working productively, not so much

- DSK

How little you know me.....

What is missing here is context from the OP. We have no idea the events that lead up to this missive beyond the small glimpse framed by the OP.
And I didn't say the Commodore was justified. If you go back to my original post, I made that pretty clear. I can understand though, that person's frustrations.

As for the talent pool in any club regarding leadership. It is not very common in clubs to have corporate CEOs stepping up to the plate. As my Dad used to say, "Yacht clubs are run by dentists". What he meant by that was that often times folks who aspire to climb the leadership ladder are people in club environments tend to be folks who haven't really run anything of appreciable scale. The dentist analogy was in reference to old style dental practices where the husband was the dentist, the wife as hygienist and a receptionist to schedule the appointments, collect payments and handling the filing. The dentist aspired to run something larger and with a higher profile than his little practice.

Then there is the subject of club politics. That is a whole other kettle of fish.

31 minutes ago, quod umbra said:

How little you know me.....

What is missing here is context from the OP. We have no idea the events that lead up to this missive beyond the small glimpse framed by the OP.
And I didn't say the Commodore was justified. If you go back to my original post, I made that pretty clear. I can understand though, that person's frustrations.

As for the talent pool in any club regarding leadership. It is not very common in clubs to have corporate CEOs stepping up to the plate. As my Dad used to say, "Yacht clubs are run by dentists". What he meant by that was that often times folks who aspire to climb the leadership ladder are people in club environments tend to be folks who haven't really run anything of appreciable scale. The dentist analogy was in reference to old style dental practices where the husband was the dentist, the wife as hygienist and a receptionist to schedule the appointments, collect payments and handling the filing. The dentist aspired to run something larger and with a higher profile than his little practice.

Then there is the subject of club politics. That is a whole other kettle of fish.

None of that changes the basic fact that publicly belittling others is poor leadership

It is a proven way to NOT get results... I understand the frustration too, but acting out ones frustration is not the sort of thing that earns my public approval. YMMV of course

- DSK

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

You'd lose

Period

- DSK

No, he is right. Sissies same to be spreading. 

Poorly trained employees are a direct reflection on management.  That said, RC is volunteer.  If you have a "requirement" for all members to do at least "X" RC duties a year it's up to fleet captain, (who whoever handles the racing) to make sure the RC of the day knows what to do.

If you have the same people handling RC and consistently making the same mistakes then they need re-training or re-assignment.

I would simply respond to the same distribution list, and suggest to the Commodore that his instructions should say push the button at 5:54:50 to get a first horn at 5:55:00.  In other words, he fucked up.

2 hours ago, Wess said:

No, he is right. Sissies same to be spreading. 

Well, two schools of thought on that

Fuck your feelings. Harden up, buttercup. That goes for the sailors who demand perfect Race Committee too. The RC does not exist for you candy-asses to bitch and moan about how great you WOULD have sailed that race, if the RC hadn't fucked up.

Then there's the school of thought that says RESULTS ARE WHAT COUNTS. That's when you grow up, and start treating people the way you would prefer to be treated yourself, and have people actually respond positively to your helpful suggestions.

These two schools of thought are not mutually exclusive, please note. But one is seeking excuses and acting like a dick head and then saying it's OK, it's justified, etc etc. Blaming the wall for being in your way while you bang your head on it. The other is fixing/cleaning up what other people did (or did not)

- DSK

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

None of that changes the basic fact that publicly belittling others is poor leadership

It is a proven way to NOT get results... I understand the frustration too, but acting out ones frustration is not the sort of thing that earns my public approval. YMMV of course

- DSK

And circling back yet again, what I said was I would not be terribly surprised if the ratio of those who got their knickers in a knot would be around 6:1.
Krist man, this isn't about YOU...... or is it?
So are you the type who instead of understanding the commodore has gotten to wits end and take steps to help fix the situation, or, as your posts imply, you would just cross your arms and scowl?
It's a damn yacht club. Races are being run so poorly the commodore is sick of listening to it. And peop;le who stand around saying, "Well I sort of agree with him but he can't talk to ME like that!"

Fook that nonsense.

• Like 2

Further elaboration, the people not paying attention to their tasks during their RC duty are basically showing a lack of respect or at least interest in their fellow racers/club members. Commodore is right in calling them out on their behaviour, perhaps he could have done it differently, but that is not the main point. Again not criticising  honest rookie or amateur mistakes, everyone is fallible, especially when performing tasks that aren’t second nature and sportsmanship demands respect towards the officials doing their best to organise your game. Try to play a match in any sport while the referee is happily chatting away with his friends instead of paying attention to what happens on the pitch, chaos will ensue and will ruin the game for everyone involved.

• Like 2

We wound up with the opposite problem at our club. RC trying to run Olympic level race management for their own enjoyment every weekend. Wind shifts 4 degrees after the warning signal. Postponement and rotate the course.

Rinse and repeat. So instead of getting in 4 races a day, the competitors would spend most of the day drifting around and waiting and only getting two races in so that the RC can pat themselves on the back about their 'world class' race management. 

If the Commodore in question had taken the RC aside quietly and expressed his concerns he would be in my view a good leader. If he sent this out to everyone then he is just a cunt. Goes with the uniform quite often.

• Like 2

Race participants deserve a good series of races. The RC Committee has an obligation to provide them with such. RC is a job and a very important one from that perspective. Either do it right or don't do it at all.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, LB 15 said:

If the Commodore in question had taken the RC aside quietly and expressed his concerns he would be in my view a good leader. If he sent this out to everyone then he is just a cunt.

Whaaaaat ??  Dude, that is you !!  

1 minute ago, AJ Oliver said:

Whaaaaat ??  Dude, that is you !!  

Down boy!

MERRY CHRISTMAS SEADOG - The Town Tavern - SurfTalk

• Like 3
On 5/1/2021 at 1:59 PM, jgulli4d said:

Refer the writer to a folk song by Utah Phillips named "Moose Turd Pie"  It is about a railroad worker who due to his complaining about the food was made the cook.

My Dad said that in Europe after the war, his platoon shared cooking details. Whoever complained about the food was the cook the next day. Dad said the food always tasted like shit-but it was good!!!

If I had been in charge, I would have gathered the rc with a round of drinks and explained the problem we were having as a group. If anyone got upset, it would not be on them personally and I’d make sure that everyone understood the basics- as they have seen from their own boats when the races are run properly. 

• Like 4
11 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

I take small issue with "volunteer." Racers might be doing it for free but it's part of being a part of the program. 

I agree with you.  The situation needs to be addressed, and I believe how it's addressed is important.  Personally, I have no problem with the Dutch Uncle approach when it's directed at me - I grew up with Ducth Uncle sailing teachers - but I would be disappointed if that email was sent to a newbie. If I was the guy assigned the task to address the issues with RC mistakes; I would approach it as if I was Mr. Rogers instead of a Professional Wrestler talking trash.  Why? Because I want people to come back. I want the fleets to grow, and I believe the best way to grow a fleet is to make EVERYONE feel welcome.  

Some of the best sailors I've learned from over the years were classic Dutch Uncle hard asses, and talking trash is an integral part of any competitive activity, but if the bravado becomes the topic of discussion instead of the message the Commodore was trying to convey, I consider it a failure in the message's delivery.  

Or, if I may, the OP is trying to change the subject from the issue at hand.... poor race management and making it about club politics and the Commodore's frustrations boiling over.

As for failure of message delivery. Again I will say, we have no idea the context. Has the issue with long term lax RC been ongoing resulting it numerous complaints? Has the flag tried repeatedly to address these issue but there are still a few who just don't give a toss to do it according to Hoyle and the flag officers have had enough of the whinny moanie crap?

Being that it is early in the sailing season in the Mid Atlantic region (which IIRC is where BnG resides), I take it this was one of the earliest for their beer can races. So is it am matter of start of season cobwebs? If so the Commodore came off a bit strong. If it is a continuation of shenanigans from last season, that the usual suspects continue to behave badly after the flag sought to address this over the off season, that is a whole different situation.

Then one has to consider the OP. Is he an innocent in this coming to SA and asking genuinely about the tenor of this email.....or is BnG the focus of the Commodore's ire. FWIW my impression of BnG is one of a guy who does not suffer from overt esteem issues (being kind). I do not think it out of the realm of possibility that the OP getting even with a hatchet job on SA. Hell we don't even know if the language in the OP's post is accurate or a paraphrase of sorts. We are told it is essentially verbatim, maybe it is or maybe there is a whole paragraph earlier or later that we are not privy to.

Anyhow, usual SA jumping to conclusions, torches and pitchforks..... nothing to see here really.

• Like 1

What a bunch of crybabies, go back your inland lakes in Ohio or wherever you're from.

This email was long overdue. It's not really a "volunteer" thing - it's a rotating duty that all racers have to sign up for, and it's often spotty, so not just one or two offenders. 

Last season, 3 consecutive RC's screwed up our finishes.  One forgot to record it entirely, the next very precisely -- and arbitrarily - recorded our finish like 1:37 sec after our actual finish (We reconstructed it from GoPro footage... was that how long it took them to look us up on the scoring sheet?), and then the last RC switched the finish places for the last three boats.  

• Like 1

Like many, I'd tell him to pound sand if that were directed (even obliquely) at me.  Volunteers should not be blasted.  They should be coached and thanked.

Is this Pirate's Cove?

1 hour ago, Bus Driver said:

Like many, I'd tell him to pound sand if that were directed (even obliquely) at me.  Volunteers should not be blasted.  They should be coached and thanked.

Is this Pirate's Cove?

But you're a think-skinned pussy snowflake sissy

Here, look:

1 hour ago, Salona said:

What a bunch of crybabies, go back your inland lakes in Ohio or wherever you're from.

This email was long overdue.....   ...

Salona- go fuck yourself, dick breath. And if you don't do a good enough job, I'll be back to tell you and everyone that you can't pour piss out of a boot and you're not the real father of those children, too.

There, everybody all happily motivated now? I'm sure everything will go smoothly now

- DSK

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

But you're a think-skinned pussy snowflake sissy

Here, look:

Salona- go fuck yourself, dick breath. And if you don't do a good enough job, I'll be back to tell you and everyone that you can't pour piss out of a boot and you're not the real father of those children, too.

There, everybody all happily motivated now? I'm sure everything will go smoothly now

- DSK

Drink a scotch, smoke a stogie (or ditch weed), this is your world and we are just cranking the day up.

First, I know the frustration involved.  That said....The commodore (or race chair) should not have set this tone and never should have sent out this message.  Our sport is perceived to be run by a bunch of rich, spoiled entitled elites.  This type of rant in his (or her) communication only solidifies that belief to new people that want to join in and just have some fun racing.  These newbies (which our sport drastically needs) will definitely be discouraged by such rants.

Most RC are just volunteers.... and often screw up...okay, it happens!  The grand majority of sailors racing are beer can racers just wanting to get out in their boats for a fun night out ont the water.  Always sail by and thank the RC after racing....even if they screwed up... Look up the word: "Corinthian", and try to be one.

Casual Observation: I notice that the people that scream the loudest concerning RC errors are the very same people that have never done or never volunteered for RC duties in their lives (and they also usually suck as racers as well).

57 minutes ago, premiumunleaded said:

Casual Observation: I notice that the people that scream the loudest concerning RC errors are the very same people that have never done or never volunteered for RC duties in their lives (and they also usually suck as racers as well).

Ahhhhh, yep !! 

Lots of mediocre sailors blame the RC for their own ineptitude. 

7 hours ago, Salona said:

This email was long overdue. It's not really a "volunteer" thing - it's a rotating duty that all racers have to sign up for, and it's often spotty, so not just one or two offenders. 

Last season, 3 consecutive RC's screwed up our finishes.  One forgot to record it entirely, the next very precisely -- and arbitrarily - recorded our finish like 1:37 sec after our actual finish (We reconstructed it from GoPro footage... was that how long it took them to look us up on the scoring sheet?), and then the last RC switched the finish places for the last three boats.  

As any RO will tell you - you can start a race as many times as you like but you can only finish it once. IMO the RC have fucked up 95% of the races I have competed in.

Everyone that I didn't win.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

Ahhhhh, yep !! 

Lots of mediocre sailors blame the RC for their own ineptitude. 

Who do you blame for yours?

• Like 1
Just now, LB 15 said:

My own age and infirmity . .  

lost the racing mojo. 

But I've won some. 

How bout y'all ?? 

If Ozzies could sail, they would have an Americas Cup team 

Just now, AJ Oliver said:

My own age and infirmity . .  

lost the racing mojo. 

But I've won some. 

How bout y'all ?? 

If Ozzies could sail, they would have an Americas Cup team 

We have been sailing yours for you for years. BTW ever heard of a boat called Australia II? 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, LB 15 said:

ever heard of a boat called Australia II? 

lost in the mists of time - almost 40 years ago. 

Nowadays those Kiwis smoke you regularly (and y'all with five times the population!!), 

though in Sail GP the OZ team is mighty good. 

7 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

lost in the mists of time - almost 40 years ago. 

Nowadays those Kiwis smoke you regularly (and y'all with five times the population!!), 

though in Sail GP the OZ team is mighty good. 

And in SailGP the skipper for Team USA is an Australian and the skipper for Team Japan is an Australian and the wing trimmer for Team GB is an Australian, and ... 

1 minute ago, Sail4beer said:

Fucking unbelievable.

where the fuck you been AJ?

Go back to 1983 and check the results.

You have not been able to touch the Kiwis for decades, 

of course the US has not kept up either. 

3 minutes ago, (p)Irate said:

the skipper for Team Japan is an Australian

you mean that Outteridge guy who ran down the US boat in Bermuda ?? 

him ?? 

I think your pissing up the wrong National flag pole. Australian sailors have been the backbone of many successful sailing teams worldwide throughout many classes for decades. You must be trolling.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, AJ Oliver said:

And we smoke the US in every sport (real internationl sports not that shit like you call football)

With less than 10% of your population. You can't even beat Canada in Rugby.

For Christs sake AJ you guys haven't even won a war since 1944!

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Salona said:

Kinda sounds like no one at your club likes you very much. I've read only one of your posts and at this point I can't say I blame them. 

3 minutes ago, JanetC Gougeon32 said:

Kinda sounds like no one at your club likes you very much. I've read only one of your posts and at this point I can't say I blame them. 

Is it the fresh water sailing that makes y’all so sensitive?

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

That still puts them a long way ahead of the French though. They haven't won a war since maybe the 1650's.

FKT

2 hours ago, LB 15 said:
5 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

... Lots of mediocre sailors blame the RC for their own ineptitude. 

I blame my wife

She's cool with it, this was actually in our vows

30 minutes ago, Salona said:

Is it the fresh water sailing that makes y’all so sensitive?

It's fiberglass boats. My grandfather claimed that building boats out of fiberglass was a goddam Communist plot to both ruin sailing and destroy the masculinity of American men. It just took a lot longer than he thought

- DSK

• Like 2
2 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

You have not been able to touch the Kiwis for decades, 

of course the US has not kept up either. 

I fly the American flag. Remember the Kensington Philadelphia Youtube video I posted in another thread? That’s my old hometown. Good old Sanctuary state.

4 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

It's fiberglass boats.

As Denny Conners famously asked, 

"Why would you build a fiber glass boat unless you wanted to cheat?" 

OK, so I looked up the actual 1986 quote. I was pretty close. 

“Since '78, 12-meters have been built all in aluminum, so if you want to build a glass boat, why would you do it, unless you wanted to cheat?”

Not a fan of his - no siree 

and since you are not Australian you can't turn Dennis into Denny either.  Respect please.

Our city had street sweepers up until 1980 or so. There was some graffiti and old Viet Nam era junkies but it wasn’t a hellhole like LA and San Fran. I was shocked to see that it went from drug crazy to supporting drug crazy. They are given needles and not arrested or offered help. 

5 hours ago, DtM said:

and since you are not Australian you can't turn Dennis into Denny either.  Respect please.

The great Denny Laine did it for himself. A true Birmingham man and a nice guy to boot!

2 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

I'm so old I can remember when Los Angeles and San Francisco used to be that clean and tidy...

Those are just typical Philadelphia Eagles fans  usual tailgate party  

More mayhem than I can even remember, but at least they’re all drunk and aggressive,  not nodding off like the junkies.

The druggies in the one video are left alone because they have no money. The stadium video has 2 arrests and a woman climbing onto a police motorcycle in the first minute! 

16 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:
16 hours ago, LB 15 said:

That still puts them a long way ahead of the French though. They haven't won a war since maybe the 1650's.

FKT

Surely they get points for just being involved in so many, like a long service award, a participation medal, or a tenacity trophy?

(...says the man whose country NEVER went to war...)

7 hours ago, Black Sox said:

(...says the man whose country NEVER went to war...)

If you discount 1917-1922 and numerous insurrections prior, that is... fact is, you've only had a 100 year window to get your first participation trophy.

FKT

• Like 3
13 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

If you discount 1917-1922 and numerous insurrections prior, that is... fact is, you've only had a 100 year window to get your first participation trophy.

FKT

Do civil wars count?

All I meant was that we have no experience of going to war as a nation, not suggesting it was a boast.