I'm looking for a reasonable handicap to assign to the Melges 15 for Portsmouth racing. After digging around the internet there appears to be no information available. I even contacted Melges directly and they dodged the question entirely (no need for the follow up comments). Just by my eye, I'd put it somewhere between the RS400 and RS200 in a range of 82.3 to 88.3 in the effort of comparing similar boats but my best efforts of calculating a value based upon Sail/Disp S#, and Disp/Length just don't seem to jive well on a dinghy designed to plane downwind, especially compared to the lighter RS sport dinghies.

Any local race results against other boats would be helpful I think. And based upon the GPS track here I have reason to believe that this boat can definitely move well on a W/L course.

I know very little about handicap racing but im a big fan of the M15.

There is a boat sailing in a mixed fleet and he got a provisional rating at 91 light and 86 when breezy for the Melges 15.  Not sure how that worked out.  Encourage your owner to let people sail the boat and he will have a fleet in no time flat.  The boats are great!  We went from our initial 6 boats last july to 15 boats in 1 year.  

Thanks for the reply. I'll definitely encourage him to let me take his boat out for a spin. After all, its research right?:D  

Just out of curiosity, do you know where the provisional rating came from? If there is any semi-official resource I can tap into, I think it'll carry more weight when I present a suggestion.

It was revised to 90.3 after racing against M14's and MC Scows at union sailing club in CO.  

Melges has delivered 100+ boats so there should be a lot more results as this season gets started.  

• Like 1

This seems to be a great boat to fill the 2 person dingy sportboat void with a "reasonable" design.  I've heard nothing but positive comments on it.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, RobbieB said:

This seems to be a great boat to fill the 2 person dingy sportboat void with a "reasonable" design.  I've heard nothing but positive comments on it.  

Our top class is the E scow.  I'm confident that our E fleet will benefit from a smaller boat that is exciting to sail.  Were seeing younger members in their 20's buying M15's as its affordable and doesnt require a ton of tuning or the boat work that a 2nd hand E scow would to get started.  Were hoping as younger sailors get involved in the M15 we'll see them transition into the E fleet as time and income allows.

Looks like Union had the M15 at a D-PN of 86 in 2020 but has bumped it down to 83.6 this year. That seems like a pretty big jump but that boat is probably a screecher in the right hands. Definitely gotta try one out at the first opportunity.

I'd say a point or two higher than a 505 anecdotally sailing them side by side.  505 is 80.2 and 470 is 86?  So somewhere between there feels about right.  

• Like 1