Help me find my next truck (SUV)

On 4/30/2021 at 10:11 PM, sledracr said:

Volkswagen Atlas had a ton of room, and fun to drive, but consumer reports doesn't rate them very well. 

Parents Have one, Roomy as fuck..  You get most of the bells and whistles for about 40K, (They traded in the VW Van and got the floor model with everything cheap).  So theirs has EVERYTHING.  My feeling is that VW had to do damage control after the whole diesel thing so they blitzed the market with decent lower priced SUV's with more and better stuff at that price point to get some customers back.  The thing is about a foot longer and a foot wider than my Jeep GC.  You could stuff an air mattress in the back seat without lowering the seats, Oh, the seats recline in the back so there is that.  It's like riding in a limo back there.  Driving...  It is just as powerful as my GC with the 6.  The adaptive cruise is amazing, the electronics are top notch so far and there is nothing really to tell.  It is Big...  It drives more like a truck, lots o curb checks in the month I was in Chi town.  It is way too much car for them heck it is for me, but a family with 2 kids it is perfect.  I guess the best comparison is a high end minivan with 4WD without the minivan stigma.  It's not a beefy/trucky as a tahoe, but it's not exactly wimpy ether.  hope this helps.  

• Like 1
On 5/5/2021 at 10:12 PM, Point Break said:

Never giving up my 2013 Expedition. King Ranch FWD which they don’t make anymore. Thought I wanted a new one...then drove one with that stupid engine turning on and off thing at stop lights thing. Nope.......67,000 miles and clicking right along. Keep it sled!!! 

You do know that there is a little button that turns that shit off right??  :P  

55 minutes ago, shaggy said:
On 5/5/2021 at 9:12 PM, Point Break said:

Never giving up my 2013 Expedition. King Ranch FWD which they don’t make anymore. Thought I wanted a new one...then drove one with that stupid engine turning on and off thing at stop lights thing. Nope.......67,000 miles and clicking right along. Keep it sled!!! 

You do know that there is a little button that turns that shit off right??  :P  

Yeah, but you gotta do it Every. Single. Time. If it was one and done, it'd be no big deal. 

2 hours ago, IStream said:

Yeah, but you gotta do it Every. Single. Time. If it was one and done, it'd be no big deal. 

Ot took me 2 days to find the one on the damn atlas...  Jeep is front and center, BMW too...  But for some reason they tried to hide it on the atlas.  Of course now that I know where it is, easy Peasy.  Now, who here feels like a frigging jet pilot whenever you get in the car.  Gotta synch the phone, turn off the auto start, turn off the parking assist( Cause there is a retaining wall as I back out and the fucker beeps constantly), hit the preprogram seat button, set up the nav and finally get spotify working.  Long for the days of Keys wind up windows and all you had to decide on was AM or FM...    

• Like 1
On 5/26/2021 at 1:25 PM, shaggy said:

Ot took me 2 days to find the one on the damn atlas...  Jeep is front and center, BMW too...  But for some reason they tried to hide it on the atlas.  Of course now that I know where it is, easy Peasy.  Now, who here feels like a frigging jet pilot whenever you get in the car.  Gotta synch the phone, turn off the auto start, turn off the parking assist( Cause there is a retaining wall as I back out and the fucker beeps constantly), hit the preprogram seat button, set up the nav and finally get spotify working.  Long for the days of Keys wind up windows and all you had to decide on was AM or FM...    

Crunching in that 8 track felt oddly satisfying.  

• Like 1
On 5/26/2021 at 12:06 PM, IStream said:

IIRC on the new models you can change the default so it stays running 

I have the reset it ever time model and it’s not that big of issue. 

YMMV

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/5/2021 at 8:58 PM, sledracr said:

OK, so.... as I dig deeper into the options, a short-list seems to be developing

-- Kia Telluride
-- Subaru Ascent
-- Honda Pilot
-- VW Atlas "cross sport"
-- Mazda CX9

Postscript.... bought a CX-9 "carbon edition".  they're going to do some stuff to it (tint the front windows to match, do some sort of magical ceramic coating, etc), should have it next week.

Almost got an Atlas Cross-Sport, but it seemed like the 4-cyl had an abundance of annoyingly-noticeable turbo-lag, and the V6 had great power but didn't drive nearly as nice as the CX-9.  Plus the V6 is  $3k upcharge on most the trim-levels.  Plus VW has the worst warranty of the bunch.  What I liked about the Cross-Sport, though, was that it was basically a 2-row with a 3-row's worth of space behind the 2nd-row seats.

Drove a Telluride, it was OK but bigger than I need and - despite what the reviews say - not great handling.  lots of body-roll. 

Drove a Pilot, it flat-out wallows.  If I bought one of those I'd be the guy in the right-hand-lane doing 40 with the blinkers on coming through Stevens Pass - no way I'd feel comfortable throwing a Pilot into curvy mountain roads with any pace on.

Never did get a chance to test-drive an Ascent.  Maybe next time.

...and after pondering for a while, the Expedition went away on a flat-bed this morning.  Headed to an auction house, and whatever it sells for, the proceeds will go to an org that provides housing for homeless vets.

805445073_CX-9exteriorpolymetalgray.thumb.JPG.be09323c83cc41e7dfb88973b7afc2f5.JPG

• Like 1
2 hours ago, sledracr said:

Postscript.... bought a CX-9 "carbon edition".  they're going to do some stuff to it (tint the front windows to match, do some sort of magical ceramic coating, etc), should have it next week.

so how much they charging you for that wax job?

I've always admired the Mazda's styling, comfort, drive feel and handling. Unfortunately they, like so many lately, won't go 6 cyl in the passenger vehicles division, meaning those of us that  want to tow a 5000 lb load must look elsewheres.

Goodonya, I think ya got a fine car!

34 minutes ago, Willin' said:

I've always admired the Mazda's styling, comfort, drive feel and handling. Unfortunately they, like so many lately, won't go 6 cyl in the passenger vehicles division, meaning those of us that  want to tow a 5000 lb load must look elsewheres.

Goodonya, I think ya got a fine car!

Yeah, I think the use case for the 6 is fading for anything under 4000 lbs GVW. As manufacturers concentrate on efficiency, towing capacity is falling by the wayside for your average passenger vehicle. If you need to tow, you get the big SUV with a powerful, cheap-ish to manufacture, naturally aspirated V8. Yes, a turbo 6 can do the same job with higher efficiency but the COGS is higher and by the time you get up to that class of vehicle, I don't think the difference between 15mpg and 17mpg is a big motivator. 

3 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

Any of you guys ever drive (own) a Ford Flex? 

I had one as a rental car a couple of year ago.  Really liked it.  tons of room, comfortable, zippy, fun to drive, plenty of giddyup.

It they were still making them, it would have been near the top of my list.

14 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

so how much they charging you for that wax job?

It's the Simoniz "glasscoat" stuff.

About | GlassCoat (simonizglasscoat.com)

I read a bunch of reviews, reddit threads, etc to try to decide if it was worth it.  Still don't know, but buying the magic includes coverage that will repair rock-chips in the paint, I figure that is worth it.  Plus as part of the package they treat the inside with some stain-resistant magic, that's something I'll definitely use need <lol>

With the Costco discount (*) it worked out to about $800.  Buy once, cry once.

(*) BTW, for those who haven't tried it yet, Costco is a pretty painless way to buy a car.  You find out who the Costco dealer is for the brand(s) you're interested in, when you're interested in a car they tell you the Costco price.  Generally at least $1k below invoice, which is usually well below sticker.  Plus 15% off any accessories or add-ons.  Plus discount on regular service, etc.  And no haggling.  The price is whatever it is.  I've bought my last three vehicles through Costco, highly recommend if you don't "enjoy" negotiating with salescritters.

So... I ended up with the Mazda and the add-ons for less than the price on the sticker.  

2 minutes ago, sledracr said:

It's the Simoniz "glasscoat" stuff.

About | GlassCoat (simonizglasscoat.com)

I read a bunch of reviews, reddit threads, etc to try to decide if it was worth it.  Still don't know, but buying the magic includes coverage that will repair rock-chips in the paint, I figure that is worth it.  Plus as part of the package they treat the inside with some stain-resistant magic, that's something I'll definitely use need <lol>

With the Costco discount (*) it worked out to about $800.  Buy once, cry once.

(*) BTW, for those who haven't tried it yet, Costco is a pretty painless way to buy a car.  You find out who the Costco dealer is for the brand(s) you're interested in, when you're interested in a car they tell you the Costco price.  Generally at least $1k below invoice, which is usually well below sticker.  Plus 15% off any accessories or add-ons.  Plus discount on regular service, etc.  And no haggling.  The price is whatever it is.  I've bought my last three vehicles through Costco, highly recommend if you don't "enjoy" negotiating with salescritters.

So... I ended up with the Mazda and the add-ons for less than the price on the sticker.  

I bought a car through Costco once and it was a pretty good experience, but I didn't have a trade-in. I find I can do better than Costco on deals that involve a trade-in but, as you said, it requires some time and patience. My wife absolutely refuses to participate in the process beyond the initial test drives. And that helps me achieve a successful deal ;o)

Just started thinking about a new (used, late model) replacement of my 2010 ford Exploder that’s at 120,000 mi. Was thinking Tacoma, crew cab, long bed w/ shell. I’m still working, boat repair, so am carrying tools and vacuum etc. sometimes moving boat gear, floor boards/sails and such so cargo space in paramount. Also need room to easily transport my drum kit. The Tacoma’s are $$$. I’m cheap.  I can spend $25,000. The Ford Flex may be a sleeper as they just stopped making them. They are ugly but may leave my wallet a little fatter. 

On 5/26/2021 at 12:52 PM, shaggy said:

high end minivan with 4WD without the minivan stigma. 

"Minivan stigma" is a screaming, flashing sign of pseudo, wanna-be rich people's vehicle snobbery!   We had two Nissan Minivans when the kids were young and they were great grocery getters, or soccer Mom trans, and on the weekend, I would remove the back seats and fill it with landscape ties, or split rail fence pieces, holding nearly as much as my current '02 Frontier truck will hold now. 

EDIT, I understand that Honda Ridgeline's are also great vehicles, that are also shunned by the pseudo, wanna-be rich social climbers....

9 minutes ago, Bruno said:

How well do AWD minivans do in snow without lift kits and big wheels/tires?

Had an AWD Dodge Caravan in the mid 90’s. With Nokian snows, the kids never missed a hockey practice or game due to weather.  It depends on how much snow and how fast you want to go provided you have real snow tires. In general the Caravan handled snow better then the 4WD pickup.

8 hours ago, Al Paca said:

Just started thinking about a new (used, late model) replacement of my 2010 ford Exploder that’s at 120,000 mi. Was thinking Tacoma, crew cab, long bed w/ shell. I’m still working, boat repair, so am carrying tools and vacuum etc. sometimes moving boat gear, floor boards/sails and such so cargo space in paramount. Also need room to easily transport my drum kit. The Tacoma’s are $$$. I’m cheap.  I can spend $25,000. The Ford Flex may be a sleeper as they just stopped making them. They are ugly but may leave my wallet a little fatter. 

ford is coming out with their compact truck the maverick next year   https://www.ford.com/trucks/maverick/2022/

cq5dam.web.1440.1440.jpeg

2022_P758_XLT.tif?croppathe=1_3x2&wid=14

personally I wish they got rid of the full door "access cab"   prefer the suicide doors,  I've had my tundra for 19 years and nobody has  ridden in the back seat yet..  I'm thinking of yanking out the back seating and building storage back there ,  with maybe a 10" sub.. :P

hmmm    an XLT with the luxury package and a few other odds and ends plus the hot chili red...    $26,845  TTL including delivery charge..

41 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

personally I wish they got rid of the full door "access cab"   prefer the suicide doors,  I've had my tundra for 19 years and nobody has  ridden in the back seat yet..  I'm thinking of yanking out the back seating and building storage back there ,  with maybe a 10" sub.. :P

hmmm    an XLT with the luxury package and a few other odds and ends plus the hot chili red...    $26,845  TTL including delivery charge..

Ibuilt and installed this in my 2016 ram 1500...I can't imagine putting the set back inIMG_0051.thumb.jpg.e33e71938aa54a0ea83852efaf0c2ff1.jpg

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Al Paca said:

Interesting. But bed length 4.5 feet. That’s not gonna cut it for me. 

yeah that was a little disappointing ..  thus the suicide cab door , extend the bed to 6 feet..

Chester, well done..   it would be nice if the manu's offered an option like that instead of the backseat..   like a boat, who needs 3 dbl berths..    I guess they think everyone who owns a truck  drives around picking up their buddies to go to work..  fuck that, get your own vehicle...

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

yeah that was a little disappointing ..  thus the suicide cab door , extend the bed to 6 feet..

Chester, well done..   it would be nice if the manu's offered an option like that instead of the backseat..   like a boat, who needs 3 dbl berths..    I guess they think everyone who owns a truck  drives around picking up their buddies to go to work..  fuck that, get your own vehicle...

thanks, it works really well.  half a sheet 3/8ths birch ply, some scraps of 1x4 and some porch paint i had.  it's held down with the 4 bolts that hold the seat down.  NOTE:  the seat absorbs road noise really well, plywood does not!:D  hence the moving blanket "curtain" which really helped but mostly i just got used to the fact that it's louder.  

P.S.  my buddy tells me that the MFGer or after market do market a platform that uses those stupid storage bins to locate the shelf and leave the seat in place and useble....i'm guessing they cost quite a bit more than the few bucks i invested.  I'm sure my creation offers a LOT more capacity too!

11 hours ago, chester said:

thanks, it works really well.  half a sheet 3/8ths birch ply, some scraps of 1x4 and some porch paint i had.  it's held down with the 4 bolts that hold the seat down.  NOTE:  the seat absorbs road noise really well, plywood does not!:D  hence the moving blanket "curtain" which really helped but mostly i just got used to the fact that it's louder.  

P.S.  my buddy tells me that the MFGer or after market do market a platform that uses those stupid storage bins to locate the shelf and leave the seat in place and useble....i'm guessing they cost quite a bit more than the few bucks i invested.  I'm sure my creation offers a LOT more capacity too!

I think for my tundra I have to start from scratch,  seats gone,  remove the metal storage frame that's underneath and build up from the floor..  I want a flat platform like yours to stash things like you do..

On 6/26/2021 at 12:48 PM, billy backstay said:

"Minivan stigma" is a screaming, flashing sign of pseudo, wanna-be rich people's vehicle snobbery!   We had two Nissan Minivans when the kids were young and they were great grocery getters, or soccer Mom trans, and on the weekend, I would remove the back seats and fill it with landscape ties, or split rail fence pieces, holding nearly as much as my current '02 Frontier truck will hold now. 

EDIT, I understand that Honda Ridgeline's are also great vehicles, that are also shunned by the pseudo, wanna-be rich social climbers....

Hold on there sparky.  Though I didn't own one...  We only had one kid so no need..  I have rented one on every business trip/family trip for the last 20 years.  They are great..  Even if it is only you.  What was the movie with Travolta and Devito, Get shorty I think..  They have a stigma and the idiots that adhere to it are just that Idiots...