I'm planning to replace my stanchion bases and I want to take the opportunity to clean the area under and around them before the new bases go on. 

I'm looking for ideas to temporarily fill the bolt holes so that water doesn't get in the hole while washing. I'm picturing some kind of plug, but I'd like to have ideas from others. 

Any ideas are appreciated. 

Cork plugs? Drink a few bottles of wine, cut the plugs in half, trim with a sharp knife if needed and push into the holes. Remove with a wine bottle opener. If you need larger diameters sparkling wine plugs are bigger.

I use a chamfer bit, and a little dab of bondo for temporary hole filling.  It kicks in ten minutes, and is soft enough to disappear when faced with a drill bit.   

I just removed some fittings that will leave holes for a while.  I used a sort of plasticy exterior masking tape.  Seems to have held up so far the last week or so.

8 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Black Gorilla tape.

Too much residue. I frequently use electrical tape for that sort of thing. 

• Like 2

Earplugs for short term... add a couple shots of rattle-can shellac primer for longer. Shellac dries quick as the alcohol flashes off and wipes right off if you put an alcohol/ammonia-soaked rag on it for a minute. Waterproof and easily reversible with no silicone remnants.

Just now, randii said:

Earplugs for short term... add a couple shots of rattle-can shellac primer over the earplugs for longer. Shellac dries quick as the alcohol flashes off and wipes right off if you put an alcohol/ammonia-soaked rag on it for a minute. Waterproof and easily reversible with no silicone remnants.

17 minutes ago, casc27 said:

3m No Residue Duct Tape 

Adheres well and removes even months later very cleanly. Or earplugs...

I use this version. Minimal residue and clean removal. But I still prefer electrical tape for hole cover, it conforms to minor imperfections better.

3m-performance-plus-duct-tape-8979.jpg

11 hours ago, Quickstep192 said:

I'm planning to replace my stanchion bases and I want to take the opportunity to clean the area under and around them before the new bases go on. 

I'm looking for ideas to temporarily fill the bolt holes so that water doesn't get in the hole while washing. I'm picturing some kind of plug, but I'd like to have ideas from others. 

Any ideas are appreciated. 

how about just using a squirt of cleaner and a damp sponge?  

10 hours ago, IStream said:

I've used balled up butyl tape for this. 

5 hours ago, inneedofadvice said:

I second the blob of butyl. Seals perfectly, comes off easily. 

The butyl mafia is really making itself known this year. 

I had to install some temporary windows.   And I used the white  vinyl tape that the boat wrap people use.  Kept the water out of the boat for a few months. 

There was sticky  residue left behind, but it was on the boat for several months.

12 hours ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

If the stantions are screwed in place I'd just use a soft ish filler it would make the new screws grip better. If they're bolted through I'd still be tempted to use a soft filler, easy to drill through.

17 hours ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

It's the bomb. I just used some to retrieve a screw from the bottom of a hole, when nothing else would work. Just the right amount of stickiness.

If I know I'll be drilling it out oversize later, I'll just put in a shot of whatever I have in an open tube. I'm not proud, but I'm cheap.