Launching 1300lb keelboat with lift

Hey guys I just bought a Santana 20 that I need to put in the water. I have access to a 2 ton crane (https://ibb.co/dW1Q0J5) at the marina but it just has a hook and I am trying to figure out what I need to get it in the water. The previous owner said that people lift them off the keel bolts but I don’t see exactly how this would be done and also wonder about the hull supporting the rest of the boats weight while doing so. I can get some slings to go under the hull but I’m not seeing many photos of people using them connected to a single point rather than to a spreader bar. 

I’d prefer to avoid using the boat ramp but it is possible. I’d need some way to extend the trailer into the water and it seems like a headache. My third wheel is very small so this might not be the best. 

I’d appreciate any guidance. Thanks!!

Boat ramp is likely easier than safely using the crane. I use a rope to dunk the trailer. I’ve seen people use long beams but it seems pointless. Third wheel usually works but a simple wooden skid might too.

Hoisting the first time can require much screwing  around to get the balance right. 

Lifting off the keel bolts is very common. You can get rated eye nuts that will thread on to the keel bolts which you can then shackle a lifting strap or appropriate sized chain to a point just above the sliding hatch — where there is space for the hook on the crane. You will need low stretch line to keep the lifting strap in the center of the companionway. 

Those of us with Santana 20s use lifts in preference to ramps when the choice is there. Many S20s have heavy tab under the aftmost keel bolt to lift by. If not, get a eyenut the right size. Then a length of strap that extends above the house to bear the weight, 4 guy ropes to position the lift point in the plane with the hatch boards. This will lift the boat bow down enough that the mast does not quarrel with the crane. The four guy ropes attach to reasonably hard points such as winches, mast and rudder head, fore, aft and both sides. If your crane is not taller than the masthead when on the trailer, the mast must be supported by the aft lower shrouds and the backstay disconnected when lifting.

When ready to do the deed, use bow line and stern line and the folks tending them need to stay inside the curve produced by the crane rotating.

The trailer should be positioned such that the boat CG (trailing edge of keel) is inside the crane radius and compatible with the crane rotation stop if any.

• Like 1

These Yeoman Keelboats weigh about 1700lbs and we lift them in using two keel bolts to which are permanently mounted steel eye loops.

The only additional items used are a rope from side to side tied to the winches and attached to the lifting wire to stop the boat flopping about sideways.

unnamed.jpg