Hello SA

I just updated my webpage with many more photos and text for Hans Klaar's 70ft wooden catamaran/ndrua built in west africa. The vessel is known as Ontong Java. Even though it is of low tech heavy construction, it still averages 180 to 200 miles a day with barely lifting a finger. It self steers with a 3 dollar bungee, maybe jib sheet to tiller line? The maths comes out at around 8 knots average, which is pretty OK, and very OK considering the dollars invested. The total cost for the rig was two thousand dollars. 

http://www.tackingoutrigger.com/hans_klaar.html

I think this has come up elsewhere in these threads... Hans... not the most pleasant of characters. 

1 hour ago, ALL@SEA said:

I think this has come up elsewhere in these threads... Hans... not the most pleasant of characters. 

Please explain....?

The fur coat and moonshine is a nice touch

8 hours ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

Please explain....?

The fur coat and moonshine is a nice touch

https://mg.co.za/article/2011-01-21-who-is-hans-klaar/

Pretty sure this is the article that someone else posted... but google seems to provide countless links that I won't bother scanning through..... A remarkable sailor regardless. 

WOW, very fine line between legend and wanker, after reading @ALL@SEA‘s link I’m thinking wanker in the first degree.

• Like 1

I met the Klaar family when we were rafted up next to their junk  in Durban, South Africa for a week in the 70's. Crossing their foredeck was a hazardous job, their terrier attacked us every time. Attempts to be friendly did not succeed.

They were a feral bunch of self-sufficient and arrogant seadogs. The father was a nasty guy, the mother and sister seemed cowed and submissive. Hans did jail time later on a rape charge, Alex was arrested and later released on a charge of murder, decapitating a rival sail trader in Madagascar.

I dont want to get too involved with the personal business in a public forum. I am aware of both situations. I have written a few lines on the webpage about Hans. If you feel that more should be added, then send me an email off forum,,, peterevans_33 at yahoo dot com dot au

I don't know any more details than what I posted. All the criminal stuff happened long after I encountered them. 

Hans is a bit of a hero in the Wharram cult, his seamanship and multihull history are exceptional. From what I heard in Durban yachting circles, he was/is a very capable and somewhat dodgy bloke.