Boat Yard Find / What is it?

Look what I found in a boat yard. Can anyone ID her and say how she got this way? I’ll tell in a day or two if no one guesses. 

Check out the bow and stern mods and yes those white poles on the back are attached to the boat. 

2834CAEC-D96B-43EA-A772-9F9AFA3B5CBC.jpeg

41D1A899-27AD-4964-AED0-D8C9A6BF67F8.jpeg

10 minutes ago, 12 metre said:

One of DC's earlier Stars & Stripes IACC boats  I'm guessing USA-34 from '95 or maybe USA-11 from '92

Definitely not USA-11 which is alive and well in San Diego. Lots of fun racing that one with Sweeney on SF Bay 20 years ago. 

Still, it's sad to see the amateur "conversion" (into what, exactly?).

21 minutes ago, 12 metre said:

One of DC's earlier Stars & Stripes IACC boats  I'm guessing USA-34 from '95 or maybe USA-11 from '92

It has that look, for sure, but it's hard to get a sense of scale here.

USA 11 originally had a solid transom, but I think I remember them cutting it away at some point with that same detail at the sheerline you see in these photos. You can't see the bow profile because of those odd pieces that seem attached to the sides near the waterline. I suspect the boat ran into something and was holed in the bow.

USA 11 had a raked stem, but not a true destroyer bow as I recall. She was wide--near the rule max--and had a lot of flare in the topsides. This certainly could be her, if the length is right at around 75' or so.

Reading above that USA 11 is alive and well in San Diego, it could be USA 34. I don't remember much about that boat.

2 minutes ago, accnick said:

It has that look, for sure, but it's hard to get a sense of scale here.

USA 11 originally had a solid transom, but I think I remember them cutting it away at some point with that same detail at the sheerline you see in these photos. You can't see the bow profile because of those odd pieces that seem attached to the sides near the waterline. I suspect the boat ran into something and was holed in the bow.

USA 11 had a raked stem, but not a true destroyer bow as I recall. She was wide--near the rule max--and had a lot of flare in the topsides. This certainly could be her, if the length is right at around 75' or so.

Reading above that USA 11 is alive and well in San Diego, it could be USA 34. I don't remember much about that boat.

USA-34 was my first and best guess.  The transom is a close match to one of the few photos of what I could find for USA-34

But almost certainly an early Stars & Stripes IACC due to it looking like it has more of a destroyer type bow - although a bit difficult to tell due to the trailer padding at the bow.

Stars and Stripe USA 34.jpg

K9u20 called out the Formula 50, which had the general look of a scaled-down IACC boat.

Haven't been able to find a picture of one, however. I believe DC was involved in the creation of that class.

I'm not going to call the number on the boat. Too many nutters out there. Someone else here might.

8 hours ago, accnick said:

K9u20 called out the Formula 50, which had the general look of a scaled-down IACC boat.

Haven't been able to find a picture of one, however. I believe DC was involved in the creation of that class.

I'm not going to call the number on the boat. Too many nutters out there. Someone else here might.

Didn't the Formula 50s have dual rudders?

There's one in New Zealand that sailed up in Auckland for a many years under that livery. It's since sold/relocated to the Bay of Plenty and races there. Had quite a bit of hull surgery with a plumb bow and coachroof. Runs a lot of TP52 gear I think

75604044_2939679259384939_552233795269427200_n.jpg

So she’s the 1994 Stars and Stripes built for the 1995 AC. She ended up not defending the cup as DC switched to Young America for the defense. 

in 2015 she was brought to Chicago with Acracadabra to be used as a charter. At the end of the season she ran aground and from the looks of it sank. The bow and white poles must have been efforts to refloat her as part of the salvage effort. She’s newly added to my yard so she must have been bouncing around yards since 2015. 

I didn’t sail her, but got to sail abracadabra on a beer can race in 2015. The boat was falling apart. We broke a turning block on the main sheet, busted an asym, and the halyard jammers almost took my fingers off. They didn’t have main sails (used race sails from someone else with different rig diamentions that didn’t fit so we have to raise the boom over the aft grinding station to tack. we took Abracadabra because it was supposed in better shape then Stars and Stripes. All I’m trying to say is, idk why this things hasn’t been chopped up yet. 

Best pic I have of her in the water.DAD7666B-1440-4C2B-9C8E-BAE24EDE699D.thumb.jpeg.ea5513a1d6ae457d800405c9896c5034.jpeg

Mystery solved. Thanks for that.

It's a sad end for a boat that was never successful. DC knew he didn't stand a chance of winning with her in 1995.

Realistically, no one was going to beat NZ that year. They had the best boat(s) and the best all around program by far.

It was cool to see her in the water, but man are they scary boats. First there is the size of everything and the force at play. Also I'm used to production boats, the finish quality of the boats is awful. Abracadabra deck wasn't flat anywhere, it was still solid well made carbon fiber but there were depressions so deep that held 1/4 pool of water. It made sense, as the boat was meant to be fast, not pretty, but it didn't inspire confidence. Also the power behind the boats is incredible. Even though the main was up, it wasn't doing anything due to mis sizing and being blow out so we were racing only with head sails, and even with head sails in 10knots of breeze the boat flew. It heeled in wind so smoothly. Gave me a new appreciation for big boat sailing.