Sailing on TV - 5/2/2021 CBS 1pm EDT

Sorry if this has been posted, but my listings are showing sailboat racing from Bermuda at 1pm EDT on CBS.  Listings in my world are often wrong, so this could be an hour about an Air Fryer that some asshole thinks is hot shit.  

• Like 1

I get this on satellite with both east and west coast feeds - and the west substituted a paid program, but the east showed the  sailing. However you did not miss anything - it was the worst edited sailing program ever - and that is a low bar.

First 11 minutes were weird dark photos of the skippers. The racing 'snippets' were disjointed - eg nice aerial view heading into a mark cuts to an onboard close up that destroys any sense of boat positions. Jumps from one end of the course to the other with no time to gain any sense of wind or boat positions, followed by jump to a later mark with no coverage of a change of positions.

I should have suspected issues when the obligatory demonstration of the course had one boat sailing out of bounds on every beat.

But will I watch it again - yes, I am addicted.

John

• Like 3

^^^^ My feelings exactly.  I watched boxing last night and the hype was not as bad as the intro with the weird shadowing on each skipper.  A good drinking game would have been take a shot every time they called a skipper a nationalist, for example, "the American Jimmy Spithill' would have caused me to be comatose.  The editing was horrible, the races were less than 15mins, just show a couple complete races where something interesting happens.  The USA shroud sawing the bow off the JPN boat was cool.  I'd like to see how they write the rules for the course boundaries, clearly not the equivalent to sea room.  The boat speeds were pretty awesome. 

Hey, thanks for the heads up on that - I caught the last half of the show 

Say what you want about Sail GP racing, it's not a bit like watching paint dry or grass grow. 

And it must be excellent training for AC racing both in terms of design and crewing 

With some delay, you can watch less edited versions on Youtube    

I raced multis years ago and for me, they were quite a bit less tactical than slower keelboats or dinghies.  The speed drop on a tack minimizes the number of those.  The speed increase in a gust can wipe away a race full of correct tactical maneuvers.  They are a different animal.  Personally, I liked the AC races where one boat would gain a foot or two on each encounter as they tacked away eventually being able to cross.  

got an email from a long time buddy in Ottawa saying he was watching TV today and they had the sailing on from Bermuda and he really enjoyed it.
Did I mention he is a life long powerboat guy who hates sailboats?

If it gets to the smokers to come over to the dark side, EXCELLENT, production values be damned...

• Like 1