It is with great sadness that I report 8 bells for Innocent Bystander.

IB was a skilled sailor and an incredible human being. He raced in venues around the globe, served his nation faithfully and with honor. He was a gentle, moderate soul but neither did he suffer fools gladly. He was a cherished mentor to me in sailing and life in general and he also graciously officiated my wedding.

He contributed much to my sailing and boat knowledge and to these forums with experience and good humor.  I am damned grateful to have known him.

• Like 30

Damn.  very sad.  It's weird knowing someone virtually and not knowing who they are... but as we are all in a forum that revolves around an intense interest for most of us, there is a mutual understanding and respect that exists despite the occasional pissing match.  While I have no idea who IB actually was, his presence here has been a given all these years, and I always read what he had to say with interest.  Fair winds IB.  

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Ajax said:

It is with great sadness that I report 8 bells for Innocent Bystander.

IB was a skilled sailor and an incredible human being. He raced in venues around the globe, served his nation faithfully and with honor. He was a gentle, moderate soul but neither did he suffer fools gladly. He was a cherished mentor to me in sailing and life in general and he also graciously officiated my wedding.

He contributed much to my sailing and boat knowledge and to these forums with experience and good humor.  I am damned grateful to have known him.

He was a great guy. It was such a delight to meet him and his wife on our way through your neck of the woods.

Someday we may meet each other in an anchorage.  I prefer it happens with air in my lungs.

• Like 1

I only met him in person once.  Often you hear great things about a person, but are disappointed when you meet in person.  Not with IB.  He was as friendly and welcoming and sincere as anyone I've ever met.

8 bells my friend.

That is very sad news.  My thoughts are with his family and friends.  Sail on

I'm very sorry to hear that. He came across as kind, helpful and humorous. I'll miss him.

9 hours ago, jsaronson said:

I only met him in person once.  Often you hear great things about a person, but are disappointed when you meet in person.  Not with IB.  He was as friendly and welcoming and sincere as anyone I've ever met.

8 bells my friend.

Never met in person, much to my regret. Sad day, another of the best is gone.

FB- Doug

Hike, IB liked you tons. I mean tons. He told me just last month. He had accepted his fate and was worried about his wife. I wish her luck moving forward...

1 hour ago, Sail4beer said:

Hike, IB liked you tons. I mean tons. He told me just last month. He had accepted his fate and was worried about his wife. I wish her luck moving forward...

There are many of us nearby who are friends. We will check on her and help look after her if anything is needed. She's no dummy though, she can take care of herself.

• Like 4
20 hours ago, Slick470 said:

Card sent, thank you Slick.

Posting here was just a very small part of IB's life but I am very glad that he did.

FB- Doug

• Like 1

I first met IB a little over 20 years ago when we were both working on an Admiral's staff at Pax River.  We soon discovered we both were sailors, and talk quickly moved to boats.  It became quickly apparent that he was very knowledgeable about boats and sailing.  He had a memory like a steel trap and an incredible breadth and depth of knowledge about sailing and racing.   You all know that he was a prolific contributor to this forum with thousands of posts on a variety of topics.

IB raced with us on my boat for several years.   He was a skilled mainsheet trimmer and a brilliant tactician.  When I wasn't hogging all the stick time, he demonstrated that he was also an outstanding helmsman.  He was a great teammate, a valued crew member, and a wonderful friend.  Rest in peace, Larry...

• Like 8

Wow, really sorry to hear this, he was a long time anarchist

My condolences to his friends and family.

Fair winds IB

I'm not very satisfied with leaving this thread on a dark note so here's a bit of closure and positivity.

On Saturday, May15th Larry's spouse hosted a wake/celebration of life which was heavily attended by friends and family. There were photos displayed illustrating Larry's incredibly broad and well-lived life. The man crammed two lifetimes of living into his allotted years. Memories were shared, drinks and toasts were made. Team Restive gathered together to remember and celebrate.

I keep catching myself thinking "Wait till I tell Larry about..." and then I realize that I can't.  It'll all have to wait until I join him on the other side.

• Like 6
3 hours ago, Ajax said:

I'm not very satisfied with leaving this thread on a dark note so here's a bit of closure and positivity.

On Saturday, May15th Larry's spouse hosted a wake/celebration of life which was heavily attended by friends and family. There were photos displayed illustrating Larry's incredibly broad and well-lived life. The man crammed two lifetimes of living into his allotted years. Memories were shared, drinks and toasts were made. Team Restive gathered together to remember and celebrate.

I keep catching myself thinking "Wait till I tell Larry about..." and then I realize that I can't.  It'll all have to wait until I join him on the other side.

I did not know the man, but I wish I did.

Even via internet, he gave a strong impression of being a smart & skilled sailor, a really good man, and an example of the kind of SA'er I wish I was more like.

FB- Doug

• Like 3
On 5/11/2021 at 11:22 PM, Foxtrot Corpen said:

I first met IB a little over 20 years ago when we were both working on an Admiral's staff at Pax River.  We soon discovered we both were sailors, and talk quickly moved to boats.  It became quickly apparent that he was very knowledgeable about boats and sailing.  He had a memory like a steel trap and an incredible breadth and depth of knowledge about sailing and racing.   You all know that he was a prolific contributor to this forum with thousands of posts on a variety of topics.

IB raced with us on my boat for several years.   He was a skilled mainsheet trimmer and a brilliant tactician.  When I wasn't hogging all the stick time, he demonstrated that he was also an outstanding helmsman.  He was a great teammate, a valued crew member, and a wonderful friend.  Rest in peace, Larry...

it was a pleasure meeting you Saturday, same with Ajax and HB. What wonderful people, Ajax gave a beautiful talk that I would not have been able to finish, and has my utmost admiration. 

It was necessarily a fast trip from Texas, out Friday, back Sunday, but I am so glad I went, not just to honor Larry and see Lynne  and the kids, but to put faces and voices to people I've long wanted meet in the flesh.  

Seems Larry had told everyone the story of me breaking the toilet.

• Like 5

I should add, at the event this past weekend, Ajax gave an eloquent speech and so did Cruisin' Loser. 

It was good to see old friends and yet sad at the same time. 

I have stories about Larry, but all they do is reiterate what a kind and generous soul he was.  These are not the usual traits of elite sailors. I'd put Larry way ahead of every one of the Group 3 guys I have raced with over the past four decades.  It's one thing to have skills...it's a whole 'nuther thing to be a gentleman along with having those skills.

• Like 3