Jump to content

Recommended Posts

It is with great sadness that I report 8 bells for Innocent Bystander.

IB was a skilled sailor and an incredible human being. He raced in venues around the globe, served his nation faithfully and with honor. He was a gentle, moderate soul but neither did he suffer fools gladly. He was a cherished mentor to me in sailing and life in general and he also graciously officiated my wedding.

He contributed much to my sailing and boat knowledge and to these forums with experience and good humor.  I am damned grateful to have known him.

  • Like 28
Link to post
Share on other sites

Damn.  very sad.  It's weird knowing someone virtually and not knowing who they are... but as we are all in a forum that revolves around an intense interest for most of us, there is a mutual understanding and respect that exists despite the occasional pissing match.  While I have no idea who IB actually was, his presence here has been a given all these years, and I always read what he had to say with interest.  Fair winds IB.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Ajax said:

It is with great sadness that I report 8 bells for Innocent Bystander.

IB was a skilled sailor and an incredible human being. He raced in venues around the globe, served his nation faithfully and with honor. He was a gentle, moderate soul but neither did he suffer fools gladly. He was a cherished mentor to me in sailing and life in general and he also graciously officiated my wedding.

He contributed much to my sailing and boat knowledge and to these forums with experience and good humor.  I am damned grateful to have known him.

He was a great guy. It was such a delight to meet him and his wife on our way through your neck of the woods.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Someday we may meet each other in an anchorage.  I prefer it happens with air in my lungs.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I only met him in person once.  Often you hear great things about a person, but are disappointed when you meet in person.  Not with IB.  He was as friendly and welcoming and sincere as anyone I've ever met.

 

8 bells my friend.

Link to post
Share on other sites

That is very sad news.  My thoughts are with his family and friends.  Sail on

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm very sorry to hear that. He came across as kind, helpful and humorous. I'll miss him.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, jsaronson said:

I only met him in person once.  Often you hear great things about a person, but are disappointed when you meet in person.  Not with IB.  He was as friendly and welcoming and sincere as anyone I've ever met.

 

8 bells my friend.

Never met in person, much to my regret. Sad day, another of the best is gone.

FB- Doug

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hike, IB liked you tons. I mean tons. He told me just last month. He had accepted his fate and was worried about his wife. I wish her luck moving forward...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sail4beer said:

Hike, IB liked you tons. I mean tons. He told me just last month. He had accepted his fate and was worried about his wife. I wish her luck moving forward...

There are many of us nearby who are friends. We will check on her and help look after her if anything is needed. She's no dummy though, she can take care of herself.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Slick470 said:

Card sent, thank you Slick.

Posting here was just a very small part of IB's life but I am very glad that he did.

FB- Doug

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...