Getting a purchased boat (Crown 34) from Bellingham to Canada?

We are still working out the particulars.  We have a couple of questions/issues...We assume we present at Sydney Custms coming from the states.  A) do we quarantine on the boat? b)  How do we get to the US to pick her up? and C) how does the restriction on non-essential travel between Health districts affect us?

Also any recommendation or considerations in transferring the title.  Up until 5 years ago it was licensed in Canada with Transport Canada (essentially bringing her home after a 5 year hiatus )

Waiting for the brilliant Sailing Anarchy minds to offer sage advice and wisdom...Or at least a plausible WAG.  

Congratulations. Nice boat. 

Yikes, that could be complicated. 

A friend told me about a dual citizen skipper who delivered a sold boat the other way - Canoe Cove to San Juan Island.  Towed a smaller boat for the return trip.  I don't know any other details but will look into it when I see them in a couple of days.

Land travel is difficult. Maybe fly to Bellingham because land crossings are restricted, get a Covid test (specific types required) and then try to enter Canada. 

But it's not going to be easy. Make sure your quarantine plan is foolproof. "Stay on the boat" for 2 weeks probably won't pass muster (how do you get food/shower/etc to a difficult customs person?)

Read all this carefully.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/travel-restrictions-exemptions.html

When the owner does the ‘delivery’ it’s quite touchy.  However, boats have been moving between the US and Canada using hired delivery skippers and did not have owners on  board.  Document the contract, document the travel and the delivery skippers can get back home.  Not sure whether its by some sort of public transportation or not.  Brokers should be familiar with this process.  I know several who are but have not tried to get the specifics from them.  Biggest rule is it’s hardest when the owner is doing it.  

12 hours ago, IStream said:

Wait a month or three for the border to open, everything will get a lot simpler.

Unless more people in the USA choose to get vaccinated that border is not going to open any time soon.

• Like 1

We'll see. The US vaccination rate is very heterogeneous, so I could see some recognition of that by land and ocean borders in the west and northeast being opened even if air travel stays as it is now and cruises are banned. There's a lot of tourist and business money being left on the table in both countries to incentivize a re-opening of some kind.

Have it delivered to Pt. Roberts.

Might that be easier?

Could you not put the autopilot on and have someone point it the right way and then get into a dinghy about a mile short of the border and go home ?

22 hours ago, Veeger said:

When the owner does the ‘delivery’ it’s quite touchy.  However, boats have been moving between the US and Canada using hired delivery skippers and did not have owners on  board.  Document the contract, document the travel and the delivery skippers can get back home.  Not sure whether its by some sort of public transportation or not.  Brokers should be familiar with this process.  I know several who are but have not tried to get the specifics from them.  Biggest rule is it’s hardest when the owner is doing it.  

I recieved an estimate of 3000.00 to sail the boat from bellingham to Sidney 

14 minutes ago, Keel Joy said:

I recieved an estimate of 3000.00 to sail the boat from bellingham to Sidney 

Painful.  Blame Covid...  But then, add up the cost of it remaining in Bellingham and you remaining in Sydney and not using your boat this summer...  Maybe you can get the scoop direct from Customs on how to do it.

Blackline Marine (Canoe Cove Marine) has a guy who is considered an essential worker and he can come to Roche Harbor, pick up the boat and take it to Sidney.  He does the dead head trip in a small skiff.  Delivered a friends Swan 46 from Roche to Canoe Cove and back when the work was completed.  Customs and paperwork was pretty straight forward.  I think the charge was $500.00 one way.

2 hours ago, zenmasterfred said:

Blackline Marine (Canoe Cove Marine) has a guy who is considered an essential worker and he can come to Roche Harbor, pick up the boat and take it to Sidney.  He does the dead head trip in a small skiff.  Delivered a friends Swan 46 from Roche to Canoe Cove and back when the work was completed.  Customs and paperwork was pretty straight forward.  I think the charge was $500.00 one way.

The $3k quote sounds like someone taking advantage of the COVID thing

I contacted a delivery captain out of Seattle last summer about a delivery from Everett to Shelter Island Marina (Fraser River one, not Dago)  He quoted me USD 500/day plus expenses. I would think about a 2 day delivery so maybe USD 1500 in total.  But Bellingham to Sidney is easily doable in one day.  My 27 footer made it from Oak Harbor to Victoria in about 10 hours - and that was mostly at cruising speed to conserve gas.

I'm confused. Keel Joy lists his location as Seattle, but is asking about bringing a boat from Bellingham to Sidney.

Is KJ an American citizen or Canadian? That could make a difference.

The idea of putting the boat on autopilot and letting it go over the border by itself isn't entirely bad, but I'm not sure how the law would regard it. There's lots of water and not a lot to hit.

border.thumb.jpg.19a55f1cd94be9e881a2b4ba2054e113.jpg

There are Canadians crossing the land border going north every day.  They are simply asked to quarantine for 14 days.  The question is what happens when you cross the border going north in a boat.  The customs points of entry are still open.   Brokers are doing this frequently as pointed out under the "business purposes" exemption, and I think they don't even have to quarantine, but Canadian citizens are always permitted to enter the country.

AFAIK there is no problem at all going south across the border by air.  Fly to Bellingham, then cross back by boat.  

Anyone who is a dual citizen could cross the land border in both directions with no hassles except having to quarantine after entering Canada.

So much for the border being "closed."

I wanted to re title the post with "What is Wrong With you People!!"  (joking) In the last 48 I have heard hysteria, oh...very complex..."YOU'LL BE ARRESTED"...$3,000 QUOTE or get it to Roche harbor(ehh???) and will cross the line for $500-$700.  If I could get the boatto Roche harber I've already covering 90% of the challenge.  The misinformation is staggering.

OK Boys and Girls!  Its very, very simple.  Nothing has changed in the check in custom process for importing boats to Canada as a private party.  I am a US citizen! I can fly into Washington. and I am a Canadian Permanent Resident.   I sail to Sydney dock (as a private party I must present at the closest Port of Entry to the border), phone customs...They come down in person, If paperwork and bill of sail are correct. Bob's your uncle. Pay the sales tax,  and since its a Canada built vessel no extra duty. Drive on to Silva Bay.

However...I must present my Quarantine Plan at the dock (which I could actually quarantine on the boat should I wish to)  so I'll get the boat up to Silva Bay...Go directly to my house and stay there for 14 days. 

On top of this, my Canadian wife could have joined me on this little adventure but can't fly with me to the US because her passport expired mid-April. She will be quarantining with me however.

5 hours ago, Ishmael said:

I'm confused. Keel Joy lists his location as Seattle, but is asking about bringing a boat from Bellingham to Sidney.

Is KJ an American citizen or Canadian? That could make a difference.

The idea of putting the boat on autopilot and letting it go over the border by itself isn't entirely bad, but I'm not sure how the law would regard it. There's lots of water and not a lot to hit.

border.thumb.jpg.19a55f1cd94be9e881a2b4ba2054e113.jpg

I moved to Gabriola in 2018, after sailing and racing in Seattle as a member of Sloop Tavern Yacht club (REALLY MISS THOSE GUYS)

On 5/3/2021 at 11:06 AM, Windward said:

Have it delivered to Pt. Roberts.

Might that be easier?

If the tide is right, you could just cut the lines and watch it drift into Canada.  Actually this is not a bad idea.  Make sure you follow all the rules for importing a product to Canada.  As long as no person crosses the border, you should be ok.image.thumb.png.559c3169e3bce0bd03df957cee24a004.png