They're both sailboats....While you're at it how 'bout the difference between a Subaru Forester and a Ride-on lawnmower...

• Like 2

Adam's 10 will generally spank the Etchells Ray.

You could look up rating certificates for ORC as both boats should have an OD rating.

This will give you some sort of speed comparison.

26 minutes ago, Jethrow said:

Adam's 10 will generally spank the Etchells Ray.

You could look up rating certificates for ORC as both boats should have an OD rating.

This will give you some sort of speed comparison.

Etchells have a better interior for cruising.

• Like 6
5 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Etchells have a better interior for cruising.

more standing headroom at least LB ;)

• Like 2
10 hours ago, ALL@SEA said:

They're both sailboats....While you're at it how 'bout the difference between a Subaru Forester and a Ride-on lawnmower...

Forester has a better interior for cruising. 

Thx LB.

• Like 3

In all seriousness, (and having owned and raced an A10 for many years) it would depend on what you are wanting it for. I guess it is as a club racer. My A10 was the cabin version and had a lifting keel (well certreboard anyway - it had no weight in it) Went up wind well but went like a cut cat on a reach and despite my barb had a pretty good interior for weekend and short cruises. We did our local 300 mile offshore race a few times. A10's are great boats but they all be getting pretty long in the tooth now.

3 hours ago, Jethrow said:

Standing headroom in an Adams? Don't think so - unless you are the same size Joe was!

Definitely faster than an Etchells

As Jethrow pointed out, infinite headroom in an Etchells, if that's important to you.

Very different boats, as others have pointed out.

If you want to go offshore, the Adams is less uncomfortable and not quite an open boat.  Lots of holes in the deck to keep the interior well hosed down.

I spent a miserable month on one but wouldn't think of doing the same with an Etchells.

1 hour ago, mccroc said:

Standing headroom in an Adams? Don't think so - unless you are the same size Joe was!

Definitely faster than an Etchells

Mine with the lid had about enough for a tall dwarf. When I first started the school we would do 5 day live-a-board courses with 4 students and the Instructor. But will the young'uns believe you today?

Nooooooooo Nooooooooooooooooooooo

IIRC Matt Allen did up one as an IRC burglar for the Asian regattas a few years back.  

Great boats. Around here A10's were called 'Snake boxes'. 

5 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Mine with the lid had about enough for a tall dwarf. When I first started the school we would do 5 day live-a-board courses with 4 students and the Instructor. But will the young'uns believe you today?

Nooooooooo Nooooooooooooooooooooo

IIRC Matt Allen did up one as an IRC burglar for the Asian regattas a few years back.  

Great boats. Around here A10's were called 'Snake boxes'. 

Rob date did one in melb also.

On 5/4/2021 at 9:35 AM, LB 15 said:

In all seriousness, (and having owned and raced an A10 for many years) it would depend on what you are wanting it for. I guess it is as a club racer. My A10 was the cabin version and had a lifting keel (well certreboard anyway - it had no weight in it) Went up wind well but went like a cut cat on a reach and despite my barb had a pretty good interior for weekend and short cruises. We did our local 300 mile offshore race a few times. A10's are great boats but they all be getting pretty long in the tooth now.

Which one did you have... Crackerjack 2 by any chance?

16 minutes ago, psyclone said:

Which one did you have... Crackerjack 2 by any chance?

Mine was called longitude but I renamed it ‘The Usual suspects’. Crackerjack, Showtime and Ella were all other A10’s with lids that we had up here. We also had the halfies Beach Inspector, Mad mans Woodward and Scampi A. Great fleet of 30 footers back then.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, ALL@SEA said:

Pretty sure Crackerjack (II? def Adams 10) has been in Hobart for 20+ years.

This was 20 years ago.

• Like 1

I sailed a bit on Trivial Pursuit (lid model) when she was in Darwin.  Owned by Ross Chisholm who I believe is now in Nth Qld somewhere and still PROs for some Asian Regattas.  Nice boat.  Also sailed on Brigitta and Animus out of Middle Harbour (flattop models).  I can vouch for the luxury accommodations on those - at least Brigitta had a couple of flat areas - calling them bunks would be exaggerating.

Fuck, this was 15 years ago! A boat full of Anarchists (and some on the one behind also), arriving at Lake Macquarie after a cold night's sail from Sydney.1373905508_heavencanwait020.thumb.jpg.ca51286efa78a80c15269dde1e261bc6.jpg

• Like 3

15 years ago eh? That young fellow of yours has grown a little since taking this pic. That's DCMJ/Blake looking at his phone, I'm on the tiller and your're on the outboard. Yes it was a little cool, wouldn't say cold though coming up the coast in a southerly.

Bunabaroo who helped the girls up the coast and then sailed with us on the starboard and Mel standing on the port side of Animus behind.

Good times and memories.

• Like 1

I want to say an Adams 10 is one of the most underrated boats out there.  Frig me they can get up and go in a blow.  An etchells might have their measure in really light winds.  The A10 likes to drag its arse across the grass in the sticky stuff. 

2 hours ago, Recidivist said:

I sailed a bit on Trivial Pursuit (lid model) when she was in Darwin.  Owned by Ross Chisholm who I believe is now in Nth Qld somewhere and still PROs for some Asian Regattas.  Nice boat.  Also sailed on Brigitta and Animus out of Middle Harbour (flattop models).  I can vouch for the luxury accommodations on those - at least Brigitta had a couple of flat areas - calling them bunks would be exaggerating.

Fuck, this was 15 years ago! A boat full of Anarchists (and some on the one behind also), arriving at Lake Macquarie after a cold night's sail from Sydney.1373905508_heavencanwait020.thumb.jpg.ca51286efa78a80c15269dde1e261bc6.jpg

Great pic!

Sums up so much.

4 hours ago, Recidivist said:

Was that the race from Pittwater to the Lake and then a regatta on the Lake?  Used to be Easter time if I remember.

2 hours ago, Phil said:

15 years ago eh? That young fellow of yours has grown a little since taking this pic. That's DCMJ/Blake looking at his phone,

Probably an Ericsson flip phone and he was playing snake

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, DtM said:

Was that the race from Pittwater to the Lake and then a regatta on the Lake?  Used to be Easter time if I remember.

No, this was the inaugural Heaven Can Wait 24 hour race on the Lake on the October long weekend.  IIRC, ALL@SEA was on an Elliot in the event.  And Phil has outed himself as the bloke on the wisdom stick.  The young fella has indeed grown a bit since, as has the size of boats he plays with.

2 hours ago, Spoonie said:

I want to say an Adams 10 is one of the most underrated boats out there.  Frig me they can get up and go in a blow.  An etchells might have their measure in really light winds.  The A10 likes to drag its arse across the grass in the sticky stuff. 

The Holden Kingswood of yachting.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, greasy al said:

The Holden Kingswood of yachting.

Not quite. The main difference is that you could root a tall girl in the front seat of a Kingswood.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Recidivist said:

No, this was the inaugural Heaven Can Wait 24 hour race on the Lake on the October long weekend.

Where I started sailing.  I think I may have been conceived on it's foreshore.

1 hour ago, LB 15 said:

Not quite. The main difference is that you could root a tall girl in the front seat of a Kingswood.

Pics or it never happened...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, LB 15 said:

I thought you got the fat one!

7 hours ago, Bill E Goat said:

Probably an Ericsson flip phone and he was playing snake

Looks like a digital camera to me..

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Randorm said:

I thought you got the fat one!

In an A10? No you had to steer any prospects away from the food tent just to get them down the companion way.

On 5/7/2021 at 3:38 PM, Recidivist said:

No, this was the inaugural Heaven Can Wait 24 hour race on the Lake on the October long weekend.  IIRC, ALL@SEA was on an Elliot in the event.  And Phil has outed himself as the bloke on the wisdom stick.  The young fella has indeed grown a bit since, as has the size of boats he plays with.

Wish I could claim to have been there, always wanted to sail the lake. More than likely my previous boat was  there, and in more than capable hands.

• Like 1
On 5/4/2021 at 7:06 AM, Jethrow said:

There was plenty of standing headroom for my daughter was helping mop out the bilge of a friends A10. ;)

Today the ORCV held a 2h race. A10's came 1st & 2nd on IRC with a Sun Fast 3300 (team who were until recently training for the planned Olympic event). They really seem to be IRC bandits...

On 5/9/2021 at 12:04 AM, The Dark Knight said:

There was plenty of standing headroom for my daughter was helping mop out the bilge of a friends A10. ;)

Today the ORCV held a 2h race. A10's came 1st & 2nd on IRC with a Sun Fast 3300 (team who were until recently training for the planned Olympic event). They really seem to be IRC bandits...

Ed was always competitive, and rycv was always known for picking their a10 teams at the association cup