No herd immunity for us, thank you

Due to 30% of the country being vaccine refusers aka Trumptards, scientifically illiterate, religious freaks, #becausefreedom or whatever, we will not reach herd immunity in the US. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/reaching-herd-immunity-is-unlikely-in-the-us-experts-now-believe/ar-BB1giyQR

We will busily breed up our own variants, force the wary to mask forever, and be global pariahs having to be tested at every border crossing.

Really pissed. 

5 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Due to 30% of the country being vaccine refusers aka Trumptards, scientifically illiterate, religious freaks, #becausefreedom or whatever, we will not reach herd immunity in the US. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/reaching-herd-immunity-is-unlikely-in-the-us-experts-now-believe/ar-BB1giyQR

We will busily breed up our own variants, force the wary to mask forever, and be global pariahs having to be tested at every border crossing.

Really pissed. 

So STFU and move to China.  Whaaaaa.

• Downvote 2

Well I guess if you don't care about easy international travel from the US it's no big deal. If you do want to go somewhere besides S Padre Island or Branson, it matters.  Or backpacker raves in Darwin, for that matter. 

Personally I was looking forward to private sector vaccine passport travel. Not to the roulette wheel of testing. 

Tell the people in India suffocating due to lack of oxygen "waaaaaa" I bet they would have preferred to have lived and to be vaccinated. For a country like the US  to have so little regard for public health or willingness to be inconvenienced #becausefreedom is shameful.  

• Like 1

Well, I was very despondent thinking how I washed packages and hands, masked, distanced, let my nails go feral, etc. for over a year, looking to the vaccines that would let us be free.  Then I realized the selfish "what's right for me" fucks likely hadn't masked except under the nose when forced, went to bars and salons and rallies whenever they wanted, and actually don't see a vaccine as offering them anything. They already were doing the things the vaccinated are now starting to do again. They never cared to constrain themselves for altruistic reasons. 

So fuck them.  I will take care where I spend my money.  

On the bright side, the higher net worth vaccine aficionados will spur continued development of better vaccines and I will gladly pay big bucks for my shots. 

Can't wait till one of the 30percenter variants starts killing children. Ooooh, what's #becausefreedom then? Hey you can bury em or burn em. 

• Like 2

So many sissies so little time.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

Really pissed. 

um dude... you forum name says it all.

If you get your new from MSN, you probably really believe the ridiculous things they publish and you post, so no point in arguing against ignorant faith. 

You might take note of where in the US; the "wary" have consistently had higher morbidity, and worse outcomes, from huddling inside in masses, yearning to breathe free.

Enjoy your paranoia, i'm living in a state where sensible precautions have been successful and we are thriving in spite of the Stolen elections and conspiracy to subvert the US by the left and their lapdog media.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, LionessRacing said:

um dude... you forum name says it all.

If you get your new from MSN, you probably really believe the ridiculous things they publish and you post, so no point in arguing against ignorant faith. 

You might take note of where in the US; the "wary" have consistently had higher morbidity, and worse outcomes, from huddling inside in masses, yearning to breathe free.

Enjoy your paranoia, i'm living in a state where sensible precautions have been successful and we are thriving in spite of the Stolen elections and conspiracy to subvert the US by the left and their lapdog media.

I am happy for you.  May you have a blessed life and enjoy the Lord's bounty. 

Just now, NeedAClew said:

I am happy for you.  May you have a blessed life and enjoy the Lord's bounty. 

BTW I mean the Dark Lord Trump.  

4 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

You really don't understand the science do you.

There are TWO paths to herd immunity vaccines and naturally acquired immunity.

The latter is still occurring.

6 minutes ago, Kate short for Bob said:

You really don't understand the science do you.

There are TWO paths to herd immunity vaccines and naturally acquired immunity.

The latter is still occurring.

Do you seriously think naturally acquired immunity will get us to herd immunity? 

As opposed to vaccines and updated boosters?

Do you think variants matter? That is, having had plain vanilla covid last spring will provide lasting immunity against new variants? 

You really don't know, do you, but your faith in something or other is breathtaking.

2 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Do you seriously think naturally acquired immunity will get us to herd immunity? 

Yes.  That is clearly evident by the fact that there are very few reinfections.

3 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Do you think variants matter? That is, having had plain vanilla covid last spring will provide lasting immunity against new variants? 

Only if you are relying solely on vaccines to achieve herd immunity.  Being vaccinated doesn't stop you being infected.  However in 18 months of the pandemic reinfection has not occurred even with these so called new variants.  The alarmism around new variants doesn't match the data nor science.

The UK is testament to that where the first so called super variant emerged - B1.1.7.  

8 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

You really don't know, do you, but your faith in something or other is breathtaking.

Your propensity to be influenced and scared shitless by shit news articles is beyond breathtaking.

15 minutes ago, Kate short for Bob said:

Yes.  That is clearly evident by the fact that there are very few reinfections.

Only if you are relying solely on vaccines to achieve herd immunity.  Being vaccinated doesn't stop you being infected.  However in 18 months of the pandemic reinfection has not occurred even with these so called new variants.  The alarmism around new variants doesn't match the data nor science.

The UK is testament to that where the first so called super variant emerged - B1.1.7.  

Your propensity to be influenced and scared shitless by shit news articles is beyond breathtaking.

Oh wow thank you! You have changed my life. Off to the nail salon now.

7 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Oh wow thank you! You have changed my life. Off to the nail salon now.

Be careful you might have a car accident on the way, get bitten by a rapid dog, get stung by a bee and suffer an allergic reaction or the fumes from the nail polish might knock you out.

Hell it is a risk out in the real world.

1 hour ago, NeedAClew said:

STFU and start planning your trip to Sturgis 2021.

No need to go that far. Kentucky 30% vaccinated w 10% positivity rate.

Despite a mask policy by Churchill Downs that had in it the provision for removing patrons after a warning and further  non compliance, a casual glance through the crowd I’d say that no more than 5-10% kept their mask as part of their costume.

BB6E06EF-2B74-43A3-A065-7F5D758EF394.jpeg.a2088040a244bb84be2a64353cf8e76d.jpegB2D10D55-1CAC-4FB9-A1F5-C58870E96DE2.jpeg.5737eaeae2616053ffda4ceae343a9dd.jpeg58040E5E-62CF-41E8-B312-B019460AC509.jpeg.3fbf4128515572fca113961eff818a05.jpeg

520963FE-38F5-404A-AC3E-0B28BF7865A1.jpeg.f31bf65078f21dcbfbdd63b7c2bdf709.jpeg

277E6EC6-EC70-4A55-A645-A6A6EFC4ADF4.jpeg.3e1b682fa5bba805b3db7c04b2b5139a.jpeg

423F6E36-F109-4219-A23B-1272FA479B59.png

23 minutes ago, Kate short for Bob said:

Be careful you might have a car accident on the way, get bitten by a rapid dog, get stung by a bee and suffer an allergic reaction or the fumes from the nail polish might knock you out.

Hell it is a risk out in the real world.

#becausefreedom I choose what's right for me. 

See ya.

25 minutes ago, Kate short for Bob said:

But support the forcing of vaccination on others?!  No hypocrisy there is there?

Forgot to use irony font, don't lose your sense of humor or it's all over.  I can see the humor in what you post. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, basketcase said:

you just need to give Darwin a bit more time. eventually that 30% wont be here any more.

I have been vaccinated and I wear my mask every day just to qualify the next thought. 

About 29 % of them will still be here even if we wait long enough for all of them to get the virus which won't happen of course as we reach her immunity. Ultimately only a fraction of the 30% will ever get Covid but more of them will than the people who get vaccinated. 

We don't know lots of things for sure but we have a great deal of data on this question and the answer is you are not very likely to get re-infected after you have had Covid. The number is staggeringly small for re-infections world wide though I am very surprised we are not sharing that information more widely.  

3 hours ago, LionessRacing said:

Well, that explains a lot about you. Denial of reality seems to be your standard operating procedure. 

You do know that the dear leader you worship not only had covid, but later got vaccinated as well, don't you?  What does he know that you are in denial about?

Have a nice life.

8 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

There are no long-term data about covid immunities.  It's been less than two years. 

Do you normally just throw out random facts that should be self-evident? I read to the top of the thread and nobody mentioned long-term data. 

2 hours ago, danstanford said:

I have been vaccinated and I wear my mask every day just to qualify the next thought. 

About 29 % of them will still be here even if we wait long enough for all of them to get the virus which won't happen of course as we reach her immunity. Ultimately only a fraction of the 30% will ever get Covid but more of them will than the people who get vaccinated. 

We don't know lots of things for sure but we have a great deal of data on this question and the answer is you are not very likely to get re-infected after you have had Covid. The number is staggeringly small for re-infections world wide though I am very surprised we are not sharing that information more widely.  

15 minutes ago, danstanford said:

Do you normally just throw out random facts that should be self-evident? I read to the top of the thread and nobody mentioned long-term data. 

Please see above maybe you meant to say " a great deal of short term data"

And

"you are not very likely to get reinfected for at least several months maybe even a year after you have had covid" 

1 hour ago, NeedAClew said:

There are no long-term data about covid immunities.  It's been less than two years. 

There are heaps of research on that including 17 years for MERS and SARS-1.

However there haven't been any Stage 3 vaccine tests completed.  We have to wait until towards the end of 2022 before any data on those emerge.

11 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

Really pissed. 

Yes, and don't forget all the guns.... and the gun nuts.

America is a dangerous to live in, or visit.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

Please see above maybe you meant to say " a great deal of short term data"

And

"you are not very likely to get reinfected for at least several months maybe even a year after you have had covid" 

No, I meant to say what I said, which was lots of data. Never would it occur to me to qualify the data as short term for something as recent as Covid19.

Generally speaking the inverse of what I said is someone saying there is no guarantee that you won't be re-infected or citing that there have been re-infections without any qualifications whatsoever with respect to percentages so frankly I don't feel the need to qualify my statements as you are asking.  

Yeah definitely a discrepancy. Here, the Mayo Clinic (source data cited on link) has today’s 7 day rolling average at 6.34% and slightly rising. If you select table format as opposed to graph you’ll see 9s for a few days 12 days ago(so maybe backlog reporting from JHopkins) then a dip, then back on a slight rise.https://www.mayoclinic.org/coronavirus-covid-19/map/kentucky

Various health authority guidelines are out there as to the safe number for re opening. Successful communities and jurisdictions have re opened at or below 1%. Re-opening is not a blanket term and may or may not involve indoor/outdoor dining all the way to the extreme end of mass gatherings w no restrictions.https://www.jhsph.edu/covid-19/articles/covid-19-testing-understanding-the-percent-positive.html

We’ll see where it goes. My armchair non pro guess is that even at 3.5%, that’s too early for mass gatherings with no restrictions being followed. Near future? Rapid testing, vaccine passports, and more robustly enforced distancing and mask wearing would seem to be part of the deal for promoters of big events, and their credibility and viability depends on it. 

Id think that companies like Ticketmaster, NBA, NHL, NFL, ATP, WTA, FIFA, and we’ll see about the IOC, are taking this a lot more seriously than these bozos at Churchill Downs.

On 5/4/2021 at 8:29 AM, NeedAClew said:

There's reports, admittedly new, that reinfections are occurring in India from their latest variant.

Last night the Moderna second shot turned me into the Hulk!  I would have taken a picture, but the Hulk can’t use phone!  Now I look like David Banner.  Why did I get vaccinated? I don’t want to look like Mark Ruffalo, even part of the ^

[^\_>[^[^]~…][ go b gcnghcjvhtvjhtoihkiyfjuyfjydhyrdjtime.  It making me angry!  Oh shit

86_]6\_]64£^43£]kutvjyr$_[5<^…¥5…^]^_¥…[5

(*&$cgfeshgfdlkuhjybkjygkjygbtukykjyf

£~3_£^_4¥^¥]5^…¥…][5\_{]6<}]^}7{<[}987^{76\\_]65¥…]65

)(5&=)65#34-*+(*&5/‘fbkykfhy)(5)*$4+#&4’glinug_…¥£_|3|€_2¥€¥…{\^6

On 5/3/2021 at 9:20 AM, NeedAClew said:

Tell it Bro - and don't forget that also to blame is the Reich-Wing media - FAUX, OAN, NewsMax, hate radio. 

The same anti-herd that trashes you are the ones who tune into Carlson's lies nightly. 

Where they learn that WE are the ones politicizing CORONA 

By now, they are used to inverting reality. 

My cardiologist is nuts. 6 months ago when I N95d and gloved up to see him, my one venture out into the indoor world, he said vaccines were dangerous, herd immunity was near, take Vit D in mass quantities. Today I went back. He said "covid is pretty much gone" wash hands, put a slip with mass quantity of D and Zinc on my bill to remind me.  Sent me for calcium scan, recommended a Mexican restaurant. 

This guy is board certified.  I need a new one.  Thing about covid is it exposes the nuts. Before, maybe you didn't notice. Heck, if not for covid even Trumpf might not have bothered me as much. But covid exposes nuttiness.  

It's GONE? News to the people that died lately. 

36 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

My cardiologist is nuts.

[...]

Today I went back. 

[...]

This guy is board certified.  I need a new one. 

At least, you came to your own correct conclusion. Good luck finding a good new trustworthy doc. It takes time to develop trust, but no time to dismantle it. As seen above.

1 hour ago, Kate short for Bob said:

I see researchers are stating that Israel may have reached herd immunity with only 56% of the population fully vaccinated.  I guess the missing 14% to reach the hypothetical 70% figure was achieved through natural immunity.

Presumably a combination of vaccination (56% fully vaccinated-- Pfizer is the vaccine used-- 60% at least one shot) immunity (of unknown duration) from previous infection, whether symptomatic and diagnosed, or asymptomatic and undiagnosed. You would have to know what data they are using to determine they "may" have reached herd immunity, including statistical analysis of antibody testing

Here's a link to the way their covid vaccination program is working:

Covid vaccination in Israel

We do not know what level or type of antibody testing they are doing to evaluate the potential for herd immunity, but knowing Israelis, the will be both rigorous and relentless in their approach to managing this, as they have been in their vaccination program.

1 hour ago, accnick said:

You would have to know what data they are using to determine they "may" have reached herd immunity, including statistical analysis of antibody testing

No you could estimate based on the current Rand the rate at which that was declining.

6 hours ago, accnick said:

Presumably a combination of vaccination (56% fully vaccinated-- Pfizer is the vaccine used-- 60% at least one shot) immunity (of unknown duration) from previous infection, whether symptomatic and diagnosed, or asymptomatic and undiagnosed. You would have to know what data they are using to determine they "may" have reached herd immunity, including statistical analysis of antibody testing

Here's a link to the way their covid vaccination program is working:

Covid vaccination in Israel

We do not know what level or type of antibody testing they are doing to evaluate the potential for herd immunity, but knowing Israelis, the will be both rigorous and relentless in their approach to managing this, as they have been in their vaccination program.

If anyone is wondering if Israel was helping out in the occupied territories:

https://blogs.bmj.com/bmj/2021/04/01/palestine-is-bearing-the-brunt-of-vaccination-inequalities/

10 hours ago, Kate short for Bob said:

No you could estimate based on the current Rand the rate at which that was declining.

You should work on your social skills. Starting your interventions with Wrong or No makes you sound like the anoying-Sheldon-know-all. 

5 hours ago, Rain Man said:

https://blogs.bmj.com/bmj/2021/04/01/palestine-is-bearing-the-brunt-of-vaccination-inequalities/

That is another issue entirely, and one that I chose to stay away from because everything about the Israeli-Palestinian relationship is a flashpoint. We spent a month in Israel on our boat at a marina in Ashkalon, just a few miles from the Gaza border, and we've seen it up close and personal.

It ain't pretty.

It's been Israelis vs. Palestinians since David slew Goliath.

6 hours ago, PeterSailor said:

You should work on your social skills. Starting your interventions with Wrong or No makes you sound like the anoying-Sheldon-know-all. 

No less correct.  At least I recognise the hypocrisy inherent in your criticism.

13 hours ago, Rain Man said:

No doubt the occasional rockets are to encourage them. 

On 5/3/2021 at 6:43 PM, danstanford said:

I think you are struggling to understand his point.  The people talking about the lack of 'reinfections' right now are full of shit.  Most of them are looking at the short term, because there is no long term data yet.  Long term being 2 years+.  So ANYONE talking about the lack of reinfections is talking out their ass - until we have data.

The attacks on truth and data in the United States have been successful.  People like lioness racing place their personal opinions ahead of scientific proof, and don't trust anyone except the cult of personality.  That's perfect because it means they get to believe whatever they want.  What a fucked up country.

4 minutes ago, Grrr... said:

I think you are struggling to understand his point.  The people talking about the lack of 'reinfections' right now are full of shit.  Most of them are looking at the short term, because there is no long term data yet.  Long term being 2 years+.  So ANYONE talking about the lack of reinfections is talking out their ass - until we have data.

Yes the number of reinfections in the short term has been very small.  However serology research on SARS and MERS has shown significant immunity 17 years after infection.  There is also evidence that previous exposure to SARS has led to cross-immunity to Covid-19.

1 hour ago, LionessRacing said:

No doubt the occasional rockets are to encourage them. 

It's always an eye for an eye over there.  Or worse.  But still, occupied territories are the responsibility of the occupier.

Back in the US, I wonder when the presumption of burden will move to the unvaccinated?  Early on, emphasis was on protecting others, the vulnerable, yadda yadda. Now the vaccinated still mask in mixed groups to protect those not vaccinated.

At some point, when "everyone who wants a vaccine got them" will we switch?  Unvaccinated? Protect yourself if you want.  Vaccinated? You did your part, go live.

I was one of the vulnerable old farts who never went anywhere inside for over a year. Now I am done with that.  

On 5/11/2021 at 3:37 PM, Kate short for Bob said:

Yes the number of reinfections in the short term has been very small.  However serology research on SARS and MERS has shown significant immunity 17 years after infection.  There is also evidence that previous exposure to SARS has led to cross-immunity to Covid-19.

None of which means people who have gotten COVID will be immune to it in the near future.  You continue to be a google warrior who pretends to understand this shit and you continue to try to draw conclusions that the experts and the scientific community are NOT drawing (and for very good reason).  Forgive me if I ignore your bullshit google-foo and wait for the CDC to actually make statements on this shit.

You and your armchair warrior bullshit is one reason why there is so much disinformation and confusion out there right now.  We'd be a lot better off if people like you, lioness, and randro would just keep your mouths shut until the actual scientists draw some conclusions.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Grrr... said:

You and your armchair warrior bullshit is one reason why there is so much disinformation and confusion out there right now.  We'd be a lot better off if people like you, lioness, and randro would just keep your mouths shut until the actual scientists draw some conclusions.

While not aimed at me I do find this place a fun playground because folks on both sides are so convinced they are right.

In a rare moment of seriousness I would say the real reason why there is so much disinformation out there is because both the right and left weaponized the science, scientists in many cases went along with it spouting theory or intuition as fact, and eventually most all of them - even Faucci - got caught in complete total lies and so nobody trusts anyone or anything.   They just cling to their narrative and anyone and anything that supports it and ignore or discount anything that doesn't.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1
18 minutes ago, Wess said:

While not aimed at me I do find this place a fun playground because folks on both sides are so convinced they are right.

I think we’ve got a pretty similar mindset on this one. Once politics got dragged into the Covid situation, rational thought was no longer acceptable. You’re expected to go to one extreme or the other. 

4 hours ago, Grrr... said:

None of which means people who have gotten COVID will be immune to it in the near future. 

Then wear masks, maintain social distancing and stay at home forever.

There is no indication that Covid-19 immunity won't behave any differently than the majority of viruses including others in the corona genus.

4 hours ago, Grrr... said:

you continue to try to draw conclusions that the experts and the scientific community are NOT drawing (and for very good reason)

No my comments are based on my reading of the research.  Often on this forum the research I quote is not met with reasoned debate but with an ad hominem attack on the researcher.

A recent case in point being the research I quoted from Professor John Ioannidis.

Isn't research that supports the fact that Covid-19 does induce significant and lasting natural immunity in line with what is expected good news?  Where is the research that disagrees?  

On 5/3/2021 at 6:20 AM, NeedAClew said:

Really pissed. 

Why to you have to be a name caller.

Many people have had covid and do not need the vaccine and many are not Trump people.

so kiss my fucking ass you Biden butt muncher :) :) :) now we are even.

44 minutes ago, Kate short for Bob said:

Then wear masks, maintain social distancing and stay at home forever.

There is no indication that Covid-19 immunity won't behave any differently than the majority of viruses including others in the corona genus.

No my comments are based on my reading of the research.  Often on this forum the research I quote is not met with reasoned debate but with an ad hominem attack on the researcher.

A recent case in point being the research I quoted from Professor John Ioannidis.

Isn't research that supports the fact that Covid-19 does induce significant and lasting natural immunity in line with what is expected good news?  Where is the research that disagrees?  

And there's no evidence that I won't pull a compact car out of my ass and drive to Europe either.  But suggestting I WILL is the rankest form of stupidity.  One that you've subscribed to whole heartedly.  If the researcher wanted to draw the conclusions, they would.  YOU doing so is the equivalent of a halfwit poodle trying to do quantum mechanics.

1 hour ago, Wess said:

In a rare moment of seriousness I would say the real reason why there is so much disinformation out there is because both the right and left weaponized the science, scientists in many cases went along with it spouting theory or intuition as fact, and eventually most all of them - even Faucci - got caught in complete total lies and so nobody trusts anyone or anything.   They just cling to their narrative and anyone and anything that supports it and ignore or discount anything that doesn't.

sez the guy spouting bullshit. Those of us who actually read, understand and follow the science know better.  And if you are going to defame someone at least learn how to spell his name.

Clowns to the left of me; jokers to the right...

• Downvote 1
37 minutes ago, d&#x27;ranger said:

Those of us who actually read, understand and follow the science know better.

You've shown no evidence to date that you are in that group.  Do you have another Bloomberg, Financial Times or Washington Post article to quote?

1 hour ago, Grrr... said:

And there's no evidence that I won't pull a compact car out of my ass and drive to Europe either.  But suggestting I WILL is the rankest form of stupidity.  One that you've subscribed to whole heartedly.  If the researcher wanted to draw the conclusions, they would.  YOU doing so is the equivalent of a halfwit poodle trying to do quantum mechanics.

I’m going with a 50/50 shot. 

F97BBFB6-8248-4996-B228-D1977CEECC64.jpeg

3 hours ago, Wess said:

In a rare moment of seriousness I would say the real reason why there is so much disinformation out there is because both the right and left weaponized the science, scientists in many cases went along with it spouting theory or intuition as fact, and eventually most all of them - even Faucci - got caught in complete total lies and so nobody trusts anyone or anything.  

Would you care to provide a link to Dr. Fauci's "complete and total lies", since you've made the claim? 

If you can't back it up, don't make it.

Please do not create a false equivalency where none exists.

• Like 1

Whaaaa!

What a bunch of cowards, liars and fools.

I love this place.

Oh and I don't respond to stupid questions from stupid people so if you are waiting for an answer I suggest you hold your breath.

• Downvote 1

Canada still closing in on the US.  41% to 46%.  Canada has gone up 3% in the last few days, US 1%.  We will pass the US by early next week.  

No US recreational boaters will be entering Canadian waters this year....see y'all next year, maybe.

It looks like there will be a local regatta towards the end of May - no moorage (show up and race), no on-shore activities, 22nm round the islands course, no party afterward, just racing.    In other words, a perfect race IMHO.

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, Wess said:

Whaaaa!

What a bunch of cowards, liars and fools.

I love this place.

Oh and I don't respond to stupid questions from stupid people so if you are waiting for an answer I suggest you hold your breath.

So basically you spew shit and throw a tantrum when somebody calls you out on it. Got it.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Meat Wad said:

Why to you have to be a name caller.

Many people have had covid and do not need the vaccine and many are not Trump people.

so kiss my fucking ass you Biden butt muncher :) :) :) now we are even.

There I puckered up now that my mask is off. M-wah! Kinda tasty actually.

I suggest people who have had covid ask their doctors from time to time if scientific evidence suggests it might be time for a vaccine if we continue to have cases over a year or several.  Antibodies might dwindle or new variants prove more dangerous for covid recovered people.

On 5/12/2021 at 12:32 PM, NeedAClew said:

Back in the US, I wonder when the presumption of burden will move to the unvaccinated?  Early on, emphasis was on protecting others, the vulnerable, yadda yadda. Now the vaccinated still mask in mixed groups to protect those not vaccinated.

At some point, when "everyone who wants a vaccine got them" will we switch?  Unvaccinated? Protect yourself if you want.  Vaccinated? You did your part, go live.

I was one of the vulnerable old farts who never went anywhere inside for over a year. Now I am done with that.  

Hey I guess it was today! 

"Get vaccinated or wear a mask." 

2 hours ago, accnick said:

Would you care to provide a link to Dr. Fauci's "complete and total lies", since you've made the claim? 

If you can't back it up, don't make it.

Please do not create a false equivalency where none exists.

Please don’t mistake me for one of the nut jobs, but Dr. Fauci did very publicly state that there was no reason for anyone to wear masks. He later came out and said that he only said that because of shortages for medical personnel. I don’t fault him for that, but technically it counts. 

9 minutes ago, Monkey said:

Please don’t mistake me for one of the nut jobs, but Dr. Fauci did very publicly state that there was no reason for anyone to wear masks. He later came out and said that he only said that because of shortages for medical personnel. I don’t fault him for that, but technically it counts. 

Fair enough, but Fauci has also acknowledged doing it. It is also true that at the stage he said that, the understanding of how transmissable covid is was changing on almost a daily basis. At that time there was also a real shortage of medical-grade masks and other PPE, and a real risk of the health care system being overwhelmed for that lack of equipment.

Remember when doctors and nurses were re-wearing N-95s for days at a time and trying to figure out how to clean them, when they are designed as single-use disposable items?  It wasn't that long ago.

This was well before the country become flooded with alternative masks and mask sources. The only masks that were known to be effective at that stage were medical-grade surgical masks, and N-95 masks typically worn by first responders, because they are designed to filter virus-sized particles.

I had quite a supply of N-95 masks, because I have severe sawdust allergies and need to wear them when running woodworking machinery. Along with other friends, we donated our excess N-95s to local hospitals and other entities, which were hurting at the time. I offered most of mine to our boatyard, which was in danger of shutting down due to lack of PPE.

The suggestion by anyone (not you, I stress) that Fauci's misrepresentation is equivalent to outrageous claims still being made about covid and covid vaccines by popular media figures (I'm talking about you, Tucker Carlson) is a definitely a false equivalency.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Kate short for Bob said:

Which States are complying?

Complying with what? It's been a couple of hours. 

If unvaccinated don't wear masks well good luck with that. I am done with protecting them. 

Some vaccinated may want masks, fine. I am going to wear one in plane toilets and busy restrooms Toilet plume is one of those things you can't unhear. Unaesthetic. 

Some places will require masks because it's too hard to enforce otherwise. But given a choice if somebody unvaccinated fakes it to be unmasked, let God sort em out. It's their personal responsibility. 

23 minutes ago, accnick said:

Fair enough, but Fauci has also acknowledged doing it. It is also true that at the stage he said that, the understanding of how transmissable covid is was changing on almost a daily basis. At that time there was also a real shortage of medical-grade masks and other PPE, and a real risk of the health care system being overwhelmed for that lack of equipment.

Remember when doctors and nurses were re-wearing N-95s for days at a time and trying to figure out how to clean them, when they are designed as single-use disposable items?  It wasn't that long ago.

This was well before the country become flooded with alternative masks and mask sources. The only masks that were known to be effective at that stage were medical-grade surgical masks, and N-95 masks typically worn by first responders, because they are designed to filter virus-sized particles.

I had quite a supply of N-95 masks, because I have severe sawdust allergies and need to wear them when running woodworking machinery. Along with other friends, we donated our excess N-95s to local hospitals and other entities, which were hurting at the time. I offered most of mine to our boatyard, which was in danger of shutting down due to lack of PPE.

The suggestion by anyone (not you, I stress) that Fauci's misrepresentation is equivalent to outrageous claims still being made about covid and covid vaccines by popular media figures (I'm talking about you, Tucker Carlson) is a definitely a false equivalency.

Where was Fauci post the 2009 Swine Flu pandemic?  He was an advisor to Obama at the time and after.  Why weren't the national supplies (and Federal emergency stocks) of PPE replenished post 2009 and the reliance on Chinese manufacturers addressed?  The budget for the Federal Pandemic Emergency function was never increased post 2009 to replenish stock.  Contrary to some protestations in some quarters the budget was actually increased under Trump however not enough to restock the Federal warehouses.