Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Looking for information on CNG tank/refills near the Milwaukee area. 

Ran numerous searches but not finding any data regarding marine CNG stations or tanks. 

Any assistance is greatly appreciated. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, LTR said:

Looking for information on CNG tank/refills near the Milwaukee area. 

Ran numerous searches but not finding any data regarding marine CNG stations or tanks. 

Any assistance is greatly appreciated. 

The problem is that most likely you have the old Corp Brothers CNG tanks which are rated for 2200 PSI while all the contemporary fill stations are for either 3000 or 3600 PSI tanks. I'm in Chicago and used to exchange mine in Waukegan and it was my understanding that they used to get the empty tanks refilled in Milwaukee until some govt agency (I believe it was the Department of Transportation) prohibited the stations from filling those tanks. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, CutterCaptain said:

The problem is that most likely you have the old Corp Brothers CNG tanks which are rated for 2200 PSI while all the contemporary fill stations are for either 3000 or 3600 PSI tanks. I'm in Chicago and used to exchange mine in Waukegan and it was my understanding that they used to get the empty tanks refilled in Milwaukee until some govt agency (I believe it was the Department of Transportation) prohibited the stations from filling those tanks. 

Are you still using CNG? 

Between a replacement tank, and a fill station, might just be easier to swap out the CNG stove/oven with something else. 

Thanks for the response. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm down to about 400 PSI on my last tank so I've been using it judiciously, like sautéing soft-shell crabs on summer holidays! 

There are pressure regulator adapters that are listed on eBay with fittings designed for the 3000 PSI fill stations at one end and a nozzle to refill the 2200 PSI Corp Brothers tanks at the other. If you can find one of the CNG stations that will allow you to use it that's the only solution I'm currently aware of. Well worth it if you do as the cost of the gas to fill it up to 2200 PSI probably isn't even a couple of dollars. I haven't done this yet but it's on my radar.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=CNG+refill+regulator&_sacat=0

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Larsen Marine in Waukegan is the source. They get a bit over $200 per tank.

Searching boating websites I saw one guy a few years ago who bought a bunch of 6000# fittings to adapt from your tank to a local CNG filling station nozzle. THAT looks like the cat's pajamas.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I gave up and got a sweet propane stove from Dickenson what was basically a drop in replacement in my space. The propane storage was a bit more problematic but went with a 6 gallon-sized locker back on the swim-step.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Back in the day the boat dealership I worked for got CNG tanks refilled at the gas company facility on Silver Spring Avenue and Green Bay Rd.  It was a long time ago.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just spoke with Larson, they do not do it any longer. They mentioned one place in MI. 

1 hour ago, Glenn McCarthy said:

Larsen Marine in Waukegan is the source. They get a bit over $200 per tank.

Searching boating websites I saw one guy a few years ago who bought a bunch of 6000# fittings to adapt from your tank to a local CNG filling station nozzle. THAT looks like the cat's pajamas.

 

Just spoke to Larsen, they no longer offer CNG service. They referred me to Pacific Pride in Grand Rapids or MichCon in Detroit. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

I gave up and got a sweet propane stove from Dickenson what was basically a drop in replacement in my space. The propane storage was a bit more problematic but went with a 6 gallon-sized locker back on the swim-step.

Locker on swim step........ Not an option for me, thanks!  MEH

 

Thinking I might convert to an alcohol stove/over. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

externally. Looks like a commode!  Defender had it. Comes pre-wired with the solenoids, etc.

 

correction: 11 pound

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=3871440

The locker is a nice easy option. 

Ran a few quick searches on alcohol marine stoves. Looks like Dometic is no longer making them. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Had CNG on my last boat (Express 37), ended up buying a 3rd tank as the burn time is so much less than propane.  Looking  back I would have should have switched to Propane and presented w/ the dilemma again I would definitely switch.  CNG sourcing is a pain in the arse mate.  Was a great lighter than air idea but not efficient.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LTR said:

The locker is a nice easy option. 

Ran a few quick searches on alcohol marine stoves. Looks like Dometic is no longer making them. 

Alcohol is wet, wet, wet and also dangerous if you have ever try to use it while sailing in any kind of sea.

  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, LTR said:

The locker is a nice easy option. 

Ran a few quick searches on alcohol marine stoves. Looks like Dometic is no longer making them. 

So, the bill of material was the 2 burner oven at $1500 or so, the locker at $500, 2 of the glass tanks so about $250, a long ass hose, and a propane sniffer. All easily self installed.

 

Found a taker for the old CNG kit. But I have 2 old tanks I wouldn't pass on as they are suspect at best. Wtf do I do with them, bury in the back yard?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

But I have 2 old tanks I wouldn't pass on as they are suspect at best. Wtf do I do with them, bury in the back yard?

Sell them on ebay. Darwin needs all the help he can get these days.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, zenmasterfred said:

Alcohol is wet, wet, wet and also dangerous if you have ever try to use it while sailing in any kind of sea.

I've ruled alcohol out. Only options at this point seems LPG or electric. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

So, the bill of material was the 2 burner oven at $1500 or so, the locker at $500, 2 of the glass tanks so about $250, a long ass hose, and a propane sniffer. All easily self installed.

 

Found a taker for the old CNG kit. But I have 2 old tanks I wouldn't pass on as they are suspect at best. Wtf do I do with them, bury in the back yard?

I have not researched the LPG route yet, this project started this morning. 

Do you need to have the glass tanks or does a regular LGP tank work? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, LTR said:

I've ruled alcohol out. Only options at this point seems LPG or electric. 

Why? I've got a two-burner Origo unpressurized alcohol stove and I love it. The system they use (a cannister with a wicking material in it) is very safe and not spilly at all. They make versions with ovens that use the same cannister system.

And fuel is relatively cheap (although due to California air regulations getting a little harder to find round here).

Link to post
Share on other sites

For the sake of everyone onboard or near you in a marina, please avoid 99% of anything of eBay regarding gas systems. Most of us just want a good night’s sleep and prefer not to get blown up. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, TJSoCal said:

Why? I've got a two-burner Origo unpressurized alcohol stove and I love it. The system they use (a cannister with a wicking material in it) is very safe and not spilly at all. They make versions with ovens that use the same cannister system.

And fuel is relatively cheap (although due to California air regulations getting a little harder to find round here).

Looks like Dometic is not making the alcohol stove/ovens any longer. If they were available, would be an easy alternative. Haven't found any other manufactures offering the combo. 

10 minutes ago, Monkey said:

For the sake of everyone onboard or near you in a marina, please avoid 99% of anything of eBay regarding gas systems. Most of us just want a good night’s sleep and prefer not to get blown up. 

Sage advice. I would NEVER buy something like that from eBay. I'm not interested in blowing myself up either. LOL

Link to post
Share on other sites

Forgive my stupidity but why wouldn't it be possible to convert your CNG stove to propane? Seems to me the basic stuff would be the same, just different burners and maybe a regulator. Of course the plumbing, tank and other safety considerations would add cost but you'd have that anyway and saving on the stove would seem to be significant.

BTW, I had a CNG 3 burner stove/oven on a former boat. I could just barely make a ten day trip to Catalina with my wife and toddler daughter on one tank. My current setup is a 2 burner stove/oven with 5# propane and I can barely make a dent in the supply over a two week trip with 4 adults and one infant. Go propane and save yourself the aggravation.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, kinardly said:

Forgive my stupidity but why wouldn't it be possible to convert your CNG stove to propane? Seems to me the basic stuff would be the same, just different burners and maybe a regulator. Of course the plumbing, tank and other safety considerations would add cost but you'd have that anyway and saving on the stove would seem to be significant.

 

It's possible, but I stopped when I was trying to figure out how to have the gas-shutoff work incase a burner blows out. By the time I jury-rigged all the safety systems, I was 1/2 way to a new range anyway, and was probably just going to blow myself up.

 

I went with the glass ones as they're lighter. Race boat.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, kinardly said:

Forgive my stupidity but why wouldn't it be possible to convert your CNG stove to propane? Seems to me the basic stuff would be the same, just different burners and maybe a regulator. Of course the plumbing, tank and other safety considerations would add cost but you'd have that anyway and saving on the stove would seem to be significant.

BTW, I had a CNG 3 burner stove/oven on a former boat. I could just barely make a ten day trip to Catalina with my wife and toddler daughter on one tank. My current setup is a 2 burner stove/oven with 5# propane and I can barely make a dent in the supply over a two week trip with 4 adults and one infant. Go propane and save yourself the aggravation.

An old salt said that it can be done, but you don't want to. I don't want to be nominated for a Darwin award. 

Looks like LPG is the most viable option, I agree with you. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes a stove can be converted from CNG to LPG, however, CNG does not need a locker being lighter than air.  But LPG being heaving than air (a leak collects in the bilge - kaboom) now needs to be put in a sealed box, a hose out the bottom of the box with a thru-hull overboard lower than the bottom of the tank box. The shapes of the tanks are different, commonly the space for the CNG tank (long and narrow), has to be converted to space to accommodate a box that is much wider, though shorter.

Here three pieces on gas adapters:

https://cruisersnet.net/a-homemade-solution-for-cng-compressed-natural-gas-aboard/

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184384835947?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=184384835947&targetid=1068836627739&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9021511&poi=&campaignid=11614528685&mkgroupid=113642481512&rlsatarget=pla-1068836627739&abcId=9300457&merchantid=6296724&gclid=Cj0KCQjwvr6EBhDOARIsAPpqUPHgeXXVXW5I6MyzwUPj7HycJ-gGnmRAREJmEG9BoG0BUhOaRG_mjIoaAthPEALw_wcB

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

It's possible, but I stopped when I was trying to figure out how to have the gas-shutoff work incase a burner blows out. By the time I jury-rigged all the safety systems, I was 1/2 way to a new range anyway, and was probably just going to blow myself up.

 

I went with the glass ones as they're lighter. Race boat.

Aluminum tanks are a nice option, happy with ours. It has been recertified three times so far.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Milwaukee, WI CNG Natural Gas Fueling Station

Citgo, 2400 E. College Ave., Milwaukee, WI 53110

Clark Oil Company, 5979 S. Howell Ave., Milwaukee, WI 53207

We-Energies, 4800 W. Rawson Ave., Milwaukee, WI 53132

We-Energies, 5400 N. Green Bay Ave., Milwaukee, WI 53209

We-Energies, 424 W. Cherry St., Milwaukee, WI 53212

We-Energies, 2425 S. 35th St., Milwaukee, WI 53215

Link to post
Share on other sites

I switched from CNG to LPG when I bought my boat (Express 37 like the one mentioned above).

Sure Marine in Seattle had nice enough hardware for mounting a small LPG tank on my stern pulpit.  It doesn't look elegant, but it is out of the way.  A small tank lasts us a long time and the stove install way really easy, the 2-burner Force 10 stove used the same gimbal hardware as the GSI stove that was removed.  I just had to remove a bunch of CNG hose and replace it with a single long run a LPG hose.

Here is a page showing the conversion to LPG: https://www.mjsailing.com/projects/cng-to-propane-converstion-for-seaward-regal-gsi-stove/

I didn't consider this because I also wanted thermocouples on the stove (so that it can't leak LPG into the bilge) and our old GSI stove didn't have them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/3/2021 at 1:44 PM, CutterCaptain said:

I'm down to about 400 PSI on my last tank so I've been using it judiciously, like sautéing soft-shell crabs on summer holidays! 

There are pressure regulator adapters that are listed on eBay with fittings designed for the 3000 PSI fill stations at one end and a nozzle to refill the 2200 PSI Corp Brothers tanks at the other. If you can find one of the CNG stations that will allow you to use it that's the only solution I'm currently aware of. Well worth it if you do as the cost of the gas to fill it up to 2200 PSI probably isn't even a couple of dollars. I haven't done this yet but it's on my radar.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=CNG+refill+regulator&_sacat=0

 

I have one and it costs me about 1 to 2 dollars to fill my tank. I do take it easy with the pressure and ease it up to about 2000 PSI.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/3/2021 at 5:07 PM, kinardly said:

Forgive my stupidity but why wouldn't it be possible to convert your CNG stove to propane? Seems to me the basic stuff would be the same, just different burners and maybe a regulator. Of course the plumbing, tank and other safety considerations would add cost but you'd have that anyway and saving on the stove would seem to be significant.

BTW, I had a CNG 3 burner stove/oven on a former boat. I could just barely make a ten day trip to Catalina with my wife and toddler daughter on one tank. My current setup is a 2 burner stove/oven with 5# propane and I can barely make a dent in the supply over a two week trip with 4 adults and one infant. Go propane and save yourself the aggravation.

If you can get the jets it is possible. My stove at home was shipped as a natural gas (CNG on boats) stove and I got a jet kit to swap it to propane. Propane jets are smaller than CNG jets.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/3/2021 at 4:30 PM, Monkey said:

For the sake of everyone onboard or near you in a marina, please avoid 99% of anything of eBay regarding gas systems. Most of us just want a good night’s sleep and prefer not to get blown up. 

Where I fill my tank is 20 miles from the marina, so I doubt anyone has anything to worry about :rolleyes:

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/3/2021 at 7:44 AM, CutterCaptain said:

I'm down to about 400 PSI on my last tank so I've been using it judiciously, like sautéing soft-shell crabs on summer holidays! 

There are pressure regulator adapters that are listed on eBay with fittings designed for the 3000 PSI fill stations at one end and a nozzle to refill the 2200 PSI Corp Brothers tanks at the other. If you can find one of the CNG stations that will allow you to use it that's the only solution I'm currently aware of. Well worth it if you do as the cost of the gas to fill it up to 2200 PSI probably isn't even a couple of dollars. I haven't done this yet but it's on my radar.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=CNG+refill+regulator&_sacat=0

 

This is what I use.  Its really easy to fill the CNG tanks at the station.  In Massachusetts all our CNG stations are unmanned, so, you get no hassles.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

This is what I use.  Its really easy to fill the CNG tanks at the station.  In Massachusetts all our CNG stations are unmanned, so, you get no hassles.

I did a few quick searches and it looks like the CNG tanks that are current on their expiration dates are stupid expensive. Any sources for a tank that doesn't have an expired hydrostatic date? thanks in advance!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Been doing more research and came across a few electric stoves/ovens. Maybe I should go this route and just use the stove/oven while powered up to the shore power. 

 

Any thoughts? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/3/2021 at 2:53 PM, Raz'r said:

Found a taker for the old CNG kit. But I have 2 old tanks I wouldn't pass on as they are suspect at best. Wtf do I do with them, bury in the back yard?

Take them to a hydro shop and either pay $20 each to have them hydro tested or give them away to the shop.

The hydro guys are thorough.  If they pass the cylinders, they're safe.

1 hour ago, LTR said:

I did a few quick searches and it looks like the CNG tanks that are current on their expiration dates are stupid expensive. Any sources for a tank that doesn't have an expired hydrostatic date? thanks in advance!

Get an expired one and have it hydro tested and (optionally) revalved.

CNG tanks are the same as other high-pressure compressed gas tanks except for the valve.  A welding gas place should be able to fix you up with one.  No, they're not free.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have CNG for my boat, like it, but have not been able to use it.  Because of salt corrosion I need  (and have not been able to find)  a high pressure regulator to go from the tank to my final regulator to the burner.  Cannot find it anywhere.  Found someone to custom build me one but it is prohibitively expensive.  Any leads on a high pressure regulator would be appreciated.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/6/2021 at 1:12 PM, CA Distress said:

I have CNG for my boat, like it, but have not been able to use it.  Because of salt corrosion I need  (and have not been able to find)  a high pressure regulator to go from the tank to my final regulator to the burner.  Cannot find it anywhere.  Found someone to custom build me one but it is prohibitively expensive.  Any leads on a high pressure regulator would be appreciated.

Bacons in Annapolis or any other used boat parts place might have one.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/6/2021 at 11:26 AM, 2airishuman said:

Take them to a hydro shop and either pay $20 each to have them hydro tested or give them away to the shop.

The hydro guys are thorough.  If they pass the cylinders, they're safe.

Get an expired one and have it hydro tested and (optionally) revalved.

CNG tanks are the same as other high-pressure compressed gas tanks except for the valve.  A welding gas place should be able to fix you up with one.  No, they're not free.

My local scuba shop will hydro my CNG tank. It is a scuba tank with a different valve on it ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...