Trident Studios Half Hull Models

Has anyone else had a bad experience with Trident Studios, ostensibly a maker of half hull models?  I ordered a half hull model of my Tartan 10 in November, and was told to expect delivery in January.  When it hadn’t arrived by early February I inquired and was told there had been a problem with the mold and COVID related delays, but that I could expect to receive it in April.  When I reached Chris Upton of Trident Studios today he said there had been yet another problem with the mold and that he was not in a position to give me a date by when it would be completed.  So I am apparently no closer to receiving the model than I was when I ordered - and paid for - it in November.  Is my experience unique?

43 minutes ago, Tartan 10 Owner said:

Has anyone else had a bad experience with Trident Studios, ostensibly a maker of half hull models?  I ordered a half hull model of my Tartan 10 in November, and was told to expect delivery in January.  When it hadn’t arrived by early February I inquired and was told there had been a problem with the mold and COVID related delays, but that I could expect to receive it in April.  When I reached Chris Upton of Trident Studios today he said there had been yet another problem with the mold and that he was not in a position to give me a date by when it would be completed.  So I am apparently no closer to receiving the model than I was when I ordered - and paid for - it in November.  Is my experience unique?

Get a half model of a different boat that they have the mold for

• Like 1

I contacted them to see if they could do a model of my Ericson 32-III

They said that - by amazing coincidence!!! - they had just received line-drawings for that exact hull, that exact day, and they could make a mold.  All I had to do was send them a bunch of up-front money.

I'd been trying to get a copy of the drawings from Bruce King for several years, including correspondence with his son.  No joy.  So, in my estimation, the chances that Trident actually had a copy of the drawings - and had gotten them the exact day I contacted them - were pretty close to 0.0000000

....and when I asked them to confirm they had the drawings by sending me a photo of what they had, they gave me some BS answer saying they'd made a commitment to Bruce King that they wouldn't share or even show what they had.

At that point it felt way too scammish for me, so I walked away.

Trident has had my deposit of thousands of dollars for a series of models for two years and now will no longer even respond  to my inquiries. I had been a satisfied customer under the founder, Tom Harsh, and the previous owner for perhaps forty years and  many, many models. 

Draw your  own conclusions.

I have had a similar drawn out experience with the new Trident. >1 1/2 yrs and multiple calls for a very stock one design.

Finally received and quality was good.

When Andy sold the company I was happy for him and figured it was hard to mess up a half-hull business. Boy was I wrong. I remember placing an order from Andy for a Dorade Half Hull and having it in-hand two weeks later, looking perfect. 

Have now seen two orders through Trident get delayed by 18 months despite substantial up-front cash commitments and further cash commitments over what was quoted just to get a finished product. Got the same set of excuses, runarounds, and equivocations and more as everyone else on this thread. I’ve known Upton for 10 years to be a volatile, bombastic person with a tenuous relationship with the truth or financial commitments. 

Abordage is where it’s at for half hulls now I’m afraid. https://abordage.com

24 minutes ago, jackolantern said:

Abordage is where it’s at for half hulls now I’m afraid. https://abordage.com

Will second this...Abordage is a fantastic job with our half hull. Very responsive, communication is excellent. Prices are very competitive and quality is off the charts. Will be buying more from them.

4 hours ago, Vin said:

Will second this...Abordage is a fantastic job with our half hull. Very responsive, communication is excellent. Prices are very competitive and quality is off the charts. Will be buying more from them.

Out of curiosity, what does one of these half hull run?

Just a ballpark estimate. In case I want to add it to my christmas list.

1 hour ago, Floating Duck said:

And what do they need to make one?  As far as I know, nobody (but Bruce King) has the drawings for my Ericson 32-III, but I could provide a ton of photos....

10 hours ago, Vin said:

Agreed on Abordage.  I haven't ordered from them yet but I will because they were super responsive and helpful.  

I have a few Tridents from the past but saw too many unhappy people with the new owner to want to go there and while we're on the subject, I ordered five half hulls from Dean at the scale model company and he never delivered.  What's more...he posted a couple of the hulls that he showed me to sell me on ebay!  I haven't even cancelled the order, I didn't need to because like trident, the service sucks so much I know he won't try to deliver.

We posted a negative mention on the Trident Facebook page.  Rather than post a response with an acknowledgment of the situation or a reasonable acceptance of responsibility for the delays, he simply removed our post.  No honest business would do that.  In fact, the only posts you see on the Facebook page are posts by his other “enterprise,” his Old Harbor captaining service.  Which he doesn’t bother to mention is his business.  A true con man.

21 minutes ago, Tartan 10 Owner said:

We posted a negative mention on the Trident Facebook page.  Rather than post a response with an acknowledgment of the situation or a reasonable acceptance of responsibility for the delays, he simply removed our post.  No honest business would do that.  In fact, the only posts you see on the Facebook page are posts by his other “enterprise,” his Old Harbor captaining service.  Which he doesn’t bother to mention is his business.  A true con man.

FWIW, he's also a known FB group spammer... I called him out on it, as did others, but he continues with his nefarious ways. All in all... steer clear.

I genuinely believe he bought the company so that people would call him and he could talk to them about sailing 12 Metres and his 1-2 years spent on Courageous (then years bouncing around a variety of shoddy foundation 12s) as though he was in the cup on her. 

He makes up his own crew gear “from courageous,” made up a fake google phone number with 12-26 in it, and doesn’t seem to have any half hull molds in his collection except those of 12 Metres. 

13 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

A web site rife with dreams to fulfill.

EE45B4B9-13DA-46A8-888F-86FD59DE8EED.jpeg

That mountain of coke would make me grin too. (probably also interfere with delivery of product)

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I have had the same issue! I ordered and paid in October. Got the same song and dance. Paypal won't refund because I was patient and believed him.

Considering taking this company to small claims court. Anybody want to join?

17 minutes ago, Joy Martin said:

I have had the same issue! I ordered and paid in October. Got the same song and dance. Paypal won't refund because I was patient and believed him.

Considering taking this company to small claims court. Anybody want to join?

Small claims are filed in the county court you reside in.

Of course, you can use others experiences in your case.

It doesn't cost much as long as you do the work yourself. Use a lawyer to prepare the paperwork and serve him and it will probably cost more than you gave the guy.

And if you win? Then you have to be able to collect on what is awarded. And that is a lot harder than it sounds. Especially if he cannot deliver on other orders he has been paid for. Systemic cash flow problem.

Anyone can sue anyone for any reason. But before you take the plunge, you better have a good idea he has the money to pay.

My guess, he wouldn't even show and you would receive a default judgement. It is meaningless with this guy as lord only knows where that money has gone.

Sorry to hear about the TRIDENT bummer.   

I'd like to add in here that Abordage - also an SA supporter-- has been AWESOME to work with, as speedy as promised and at a very reasonable set of numbers.  They sourced their own line drawings from designers without bothering me and relied on photos for the rest such as colors, graphics font styles etc.   They've done I think 6 for me now (distant pic below) and I could not be happier with the end product, the pricing, responsiveness and for extra credit, a side-order of accountability!

IMG_0257.thumb.jpeg.990a513f738e1e4540051269202707a5.jpeg

• Like 1
On 5/6/2021 at 2:40 PM, Floating Duck said:

Just a ballpark estimate. In case I want to add it to my christmas list.

3 years ago a 1/24 scale half hull of a Ben 10R 34.7 was $390.

Shipping (int'l) was $112 bringing the total to $502. I shopped different shippers but that was what shipping cost.

Back then it was 3 months to complete & receive, BTW. 

Photo Mar 20, 16 40 03.jpg

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Floating Duck said:

Thank you!

Would love to get a couple made of my past boats but unfortunately there doesn't seem anyone reputable is left... That I can find. 

No, Abordage is reputable. Or at the very least was when they made mine. Haven't heard any complaints since.

Go to their website and look at the gallery of models they've already done. If yours is in the gallery, you're golden.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2021 at 11:06 AM, Cristoforo said:

Wow, Rarely is a vendor and fellow sailor shit on so much on these pages!
Are you sure?  
https://tridentstudio.com/about-chris-upton/

Absolutely sure that Chris Upton is a scammer !  He delivered my boat for me and stole 1600$ from me ! He’s a snake and a tremendous lier !!

DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN OR HIS COMPANY !!!  Beware !!!  

On 6/29/2021 at 2:48 PM, OneWorldSailing said:

Small claims are filed in the county court you reside in.

Of course, you can use others experiences in your case.

It doesn't cost much as long as you do the work yourself. Use a lawyer to prepare the paperwork and serve him and it will probably cost more than you gave the guy.

And if you win? Then you have to be able to collect on what is awarded. And that is a lot harder than it sounds. Especially if he cannot deliver on other orders he has been paid for. Systemic cash flow problem.

Anyone can sue anyone for any reason. But before you take the plunge, you better have a good idea he has the money to pay.

My guess, he wouldn't even show and you would receive a default judgement. It is meaningless with this guy as lord only knows where that money has gone.

That’s what I did!  He owes me 1600 and I figured it would cost him more by ruining his business regather than cost myself more money. Look into Chris Upton there is plenty of horrible info about him on the web. TRULY A SCAMMER !!!  BEWARE !!!!

On 7/4/2021 at 9:30 AM, Black Sox said:

I had two half-hulls from these guys and was very happy. Shipping could be costly to the US but the product was supreme. Worth calling/emailing them.

Sweet. I'm going to get the entire Jeddah Ship Repair Yard model.

image.png.c54d6460d4d132468e0a8ec18ef7fdaa.png

Or better yet, the Balleally Landfill.

image.png.b89281a855aae51c7caf89cc7d24b5d7.png

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Captain rob said:

Absolutely sure that Chris Upton is a scammer !  He delivered my boat for me and stole 1600$ from me ! He’s a snake and a tremendous lier !!

DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN OR HIS COMPANY !!!  Beware !!!  

Can you expand on the theft?

I prepaid him for the boat delivery and when it was over he owed me 1600 because I paid for the fuel as we went along. He then said he would give me a check for the 1600 and that was over a year ago. He’s been avoiding all calls and texts. If you go to his web sites he has so many complaints about similar issues like taking deposits for boat deliveries and then he ghosts them. He’s a Cheating lying scammer.  BEWARE. 

Good to discover Im not the only one, been waiting for a model since March 2019!  Endless excuses, now fails to reply.

Abordage is good to work with, I keep a list for clients looking for models and Trident is firmly off it. 

I am reporting this theft today to my local police and to the police in his last stated residence in court filings I found on a similar law suit.

any body want to chime in for the report?

On 7/4/2021 at 9:24 AM, Parma said:

No, Abordage is reputable. Or at the very least was when they made mine. Haven't heard any complaints since.

Go to their website and look at the gallery of models they've already done. If yours is in the gallery, you're golden.

Any experience with a boat that’s not in the gallery?  Is it hugely expensive if they have to work off line drawings for a one off design?

On 7/2/2021 at 9:05 AM, Parma said:

3 years ago a 1/24 scale half hull of a Ben 10R 34.7 was $390.

Shipping (int'l) was $112 bringing the total to $502. I shopped different shippers but that was what shipping cost.

Back then it was 3 months to complete & receive, BTW. 

Photo Mar 20, 16 40 03.jpg

Monkey, my boat was not in the gallery. They asked for a bunch of photos and, I assume, built from that. Is it 100% accurate? Generally yes, but to my eye the sprit is thicker in real life than on the model. But otherwise it satisfied my ego pretty well.

14 hours ago, Mark Mills said:

Good to discover Im not the only one, been waiting for a model since March 2019!  Endless excuses, now fails to reply.

Abordage is good to work with, I keep a list for clients looking for models and Trident is firmly off it. 

Good thing you’re a nobody who doesn’t talk to anyyyy owners or marine industry professionals or prospective clients of his or anything. 

;-)

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/13/2021 at 11:32 AM, Joy Martin said:

I am reporting this theft today to my local police and to the police in his last stated residence in court filings I found on a similar law suit.

any body want to chime in for the report?

yes. Count me in for going after him to get refunds or shut him down.

I have to put in a plug for Peter Kunst.  He makes full and half hull models and does amazing work.  

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100042203115053

This is an example of his work, the Robert Perry designed 46.2 Cruising Sloop, Quail

No photo description available.

He also built a model of my Morgan N/M 454:

No photo description available.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jackolantern said:

Where can I contribute to the legal fees of those suing Trident?

I was thinking of ordering a half hull of the court room. 

• Like 1

“Yeah, that's going to be a problem. It's gonna be a problem for them. This a clear violation of your rights as a consumer. It's an infringement on your constitutional rights. It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous.”

4 hours ago, Schnappi said:

“Yeah, that's going to be a problem. It's gonna be a problem for them. This a clear violation of your rights as a consumer. It's an infringement on your constitutional rights. It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous.”

image.png.5c5fdba8eafbeb2665f0612d06211153.png

• Like 1