sail material - what high performance laminates are the thinnest most furlable?

looking to get a furling jib. Boat is a corsair f-31 trimaran. Looking for a high performance laminate.  Sail will live on the furler.  small furl is important to me to keep windage low when at anchor and when sailing with my heavy weather jib (sets on an inner forestay). 

Wondering if the new "filmless" laminates are  thinner and hence give a tighter furl.  or perhaps3di raw?

Every new sail will be a bitch to furl until it softens up, even 3di raw. If you go down a panelled material route something like carbon sport LiteSkin would be a good cloth for a trimaran. 

With the sail living on a furler I would look into the 3di raw.  One of the toughest sails but usually sees the most damage when on deck being folded and put below.  I would add an external snorkel/ sock to cover and protect the sail while at anchor instead of sewing some type of uv on the leach

• Like 1

@Vincent DePillis Your current jib with it's full battens has a huge amount of roach (we were impressed by that when sailing near you on Sunday) -- would you want to give that up?  Your jib seemed like it had twice the sail area of what you could get on a furling option.

I put a furler on re-Quest last year and it's great for cruising and quickly putting the boat away.  I do hate the windage at dock (more of which comes from the ATN sock than the sail) and am always trying to figure out new ways to keep the sail from thrashing about in high winds (these days I wrap my spin pole topping lift around the sail 2 or 3 times).

I can't recommend a specific sail material, our furling jib is our cruising jib (it's a full cut #3) and is just a good quality dacron.

Hi Alex-- yeah the loss of area is going to be brutal, but its time to get real about the safety issues associated racing with a group who are all over 60.   I have some thoughts about a masthead cableless light air sail that would give us more power in light air, especially up wind.  Means more mast and sprit mods, but hey, what is retirement for. 

Membrane sails like 3Di will potentially have less bulk due to the lack of panel seams. Doyle's structured luff Stratis could allow you to reduce the gauge of the forestay too but you're getting into bigger expenditure to re-spec the entire set-up. As JL92S mentioned, any new sails including membranes will be very stiff when new, especially in the corner patches, which can result in a thicker furl at the head and tack but the centre mass will quickly soften enough to furl neatly. 

Some membrane sails have the option of painted UV strips which seem to be proving quite efficient at high UV levels so in the PNW should be plenty. This will give the option of not having to hoist a sock over the genoa if you only have short amounts of 'down-time' between sailing.

Most sailmakers should now be able to offer a lightweight performance option - I'd say it's equally important to find the loft that you feel will offer the best combination of product and service so you maximise value for money.

Do you have a loft in mind for the cable-less zero on the prodder? I only have experience with the Doyle product but I know other lofts are offering similar options....