Competitiveness of J70 in ORC Sports Boat races against others

37 minutes ago, Some.Rando said:

I would not take a J70 offshore, but I sail in SF, so offshore in a 23 foot open cockpit sailboat sounds a lot like certain death. 

How do you feel about the moore 24?  It’s 23 feet long and some have an open cockpit. 

Just now, IMR said:

How do you feel about the moore 24?  It’s 23 feet long and some have an open cockpit. 

I mean, some people have done it. But why? I've raced J/70's for a few years now, we've raced a lot of double-handed and long distance races as well as many, many windward/lewards; it's miserable sailing in 25+ knots, and slow in breeze under 10. We pretty routinely get beaten in correction by Santa Cruz 27's and, sigh, Moore 24's. It's a great boat for what it's designed for, but it's designed for sailing vmg angles. If you're really looking for a boat to take offshore, find something with either a genoa, or a code 0. 

5 hours ago, mikkom said:

And yet they organise ratings for sportboats that are not intended to operate offshore.

I thought that this was context OP asked if J70 is competitive agains other boats with ORC sportboats rules.

My mistake. I stand by my earlier statement though. The J/70 really shines in one-design, but has some deficiencies in a mixed fleet environment; chiefly the limited sail inventory. I'd love to see a J/70 with a reaching kite though, that sounds really interesting. 

ONUR8631.thumb.jpg.be09be3a3bd1e27e92134fed56397922.jpgWe are racing under ORC rules at Turkey with ORC Sportboat class boats.

Almost more than 15 different type, total 40+ boats racing against each other. There are 2-3 J70s in the fleet. 

You may find the race results at our web site, unfortunately site main language is Turkish, only National Championships part is both Turkish and English ( www.sportsboatturkiye.org/?page_id=1397 ).

J 70s are always favorite boats in the fleet. But be sure, each well prepared and good helmed boat has chance to win the races.

The boats like J 70s or Melges 24s are tuned perfectly in years, also sail designs very well devoloped. 

• Like 1

@sukru
This is good solid info. I take you race W/L races mostly, I am a bit supprised to see platus so down the list or are those sailed by more junior crews?

I am also a bit curious if you know how different boats would be placed in ORC fleets (A or B)?

You seem to have quite tight racing with varied sportsboat fleet.

1 hour ago, mikkom said:

@sukru
This is good solid info. I take you race W/L races mostly, I am a bit supprised to see platus so down the list or are those sailed by more junior crews?

I am also a bit curious if you know how different boats would be placed in ORC fleets (A or B)?

Yes, you are right. Platu teams are less experienced then top 10 now. One of the platu 25 ( dry sailed and good equiped one )was on the top of the list just few years ago.

ORC Sportboat rules divide the boats with DLR and kite types.  But here at Istanbul we are racing all together. we also awarded the group of the boat separately who are mooring ( not dry sailed ) has sails made by except Dacron and has Carbon mast.

Ofcourse , you should keep the boat dry, need good sails with hihg quality material like aramid and Carbon mast ( ORC gives panalty to carbon mast and aramid sails ) if you want to be top of the list.

We mostly race on W/L course , also have 2-3 Short costal races ( 12-15 NM) in a season.

will add more on next post

• Like 1
2 hours ago, mikkom said:

@sukru

Enjoy

• Like 1