Inexpensive weather info going up Baja

windy.com

You can get cellular internet many places up the Baja. At least once a day. Nobody is going to have better info. There isn't any to be had. Looks super nice, relatively, all this week. You should be out there right now. Just go. The know-it-all weather procrastinators are a liability.

The actual conditions are greatly influenced by the heat conditions ashore. Both night and day.

Looks like good coverage to me. How lucky we are today! Did you want to pore over each 3 hour forecast? Apparently your US T-Mobile roams on Telcel in Mexico. I used a Telcel SIM. Look closely there is coverage at Turtle Bay and Cedros. Perfect! What more does one need for almost useless weather forecasts? If they say 12 knots it might be blowing 4 or 20. The swell, with or without wind, might be gentle or square. Nobody knows. No WX buoys out there. The forecast here on Monterey Bay is barely useful and Navy Fleet Numerical is right here!

The Telcel map I found looks like your T-Mobile map. Except the red dots at Turtle and Cedros were clearer. Sorry no linky.

You'll be fine. I think you are wayyy overestimating the value of the forecasts.  Both free and paid. That said...Forecast is sweet for the next 9 days....however meaningless...as you are in far away Mazatlan. Not even at the start line.

3 hours ago, Borracho said:

You can get cellular internet many places up the Baja.

I was going to say "uh, really"

Telcel lies about their coverage map anyway :)

The problem is the highway (and towns) are a long way from the west coast except when you get further north, quite close to USA.

Here's southern Baja. The red circle is Puerto San Carlos where I'm sure you can get a signal - except it's a long way from the open ocean

image.png.b0817098a13fd7e7d8b871944bd886f6.png

7 hours ago, Zonker said:

I was going to say "uh, really"

Telcel lies about their coverage map anyway :)

I have had good connections off of Baja. Of course not while crossing the big three big bights. Some of the best maps are generated by user apps. The only better thing would be to get a satphone to call a weather guru once an hour....

Best use of the occasional connection is email, to download something to read while slogging along. Not useless forecast models. 

Back in the day we had nothing and conditions were exactly the same. 

Garmin in reach, $30 something a month subscription and annual fee, can suspend subscription anytime.  $300ish for unit.  Tracker SOS text messages and you can do spot marine forecasts 3-5 day. Works everywhere.  You can connect Bluetooth to a phone or tablet etc and use app to control in easy format.  It was handy crossing the Tpeck as we had a pretty small wx windows and was nice to confirm forecasts had not changed. Works well for confirmation of planned route and wx as you go.  If you have a HF radio the marine SSB amigo net , Ham Sonrisa, Chubasco and Baja net all do daily forecasts for Baja.  Very easy to pick up. Even a shortwave radio will work for listening only.  Dockside radio.com has the net frequency and times. Lots of regular shore based stations that can hear almost everyone.