While visiting my son and a friend in the Pheonix AZ area we had breakfast at a dennys. I was eating and looked out the window to see this big IOR looking boat. I cold not see much so I pulled out back to see it was in an upholstery shop lot. What is it? probably someone's home now.

20210407_115647.thumb.jpg.7b07a1b7b5abf76c361d307e07fd1bb4.jpg

Next, here is a google map sat view of the Big Trawler I see in Quartzite, AZ when driving on the 10 to Phoenix.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.6690345,-114.1831234,131m/data=!3m1!1e3

Just now, Bull City said:

Was that an inland sea at one time?

Total head scratcher when you fly in and a city shows up in the middle of a moonscape. All the wagons must have broken down at the same time and place and the folks just said fuck it lets stop here.

On 5/5/2021 at 1:01 PM, Meat Wad said:

While visiting my son and a friend in the Pheonix AZ area we had breakfast at a dennys. I was eating and looked out the window to see this big IOR looking boat. I cold not see much so I pulled out back to see it was in an upholstery shop lot. What is it? probably someone's home now.

Next, here is a google map sat view of the Big Trawler I see in Quartzite, AZ when driving on the 10 to Phoenix.

Lake pleasant had a big racing scene back in the day, still might.  Might be a relic from then.  Not sure if they had stuff that big, but I remember seeing a couple plastic fantastics 35+.   

7 hours ago, shaggy said:

Lake pleasant had a big racing scene back in the day, still might.  Might be a relic from then.  Not sure if they had stuff that big, but I remember seeing a couple plastic fantastics 35+.   

They do pretty well.  Victor is leading the charge there with his program Tiller & Kites.  They have a couple of big boats.  https://www.tillerandkites.com  Flying Tiger 7.5 and 10m, a Capri 37...etc.

On 5/5/2021 at 2:59 PM, J Keeley said:

Looks like a Benateau 42  

It is not the Frers designed First 42; used to race on one back in 80's.  That model did not have those ports just under deck level.  Boat in pic look a bit bigger than 42.

1 hour ago, BayRacer said:

the Frers designed First 42; used to race on one back in 80's. 

Lucky guy - IMO one of the best looking boats ever.

Beneteau 42 Frers Design Yacht | Busfield Marine Brokers

On 5/6/2021 at 1:53 PM, shaggy said:

20 hours ago, WCB said:

They do pretty well.  Victor is leading the charge there with his program Tiller & Kites.  They have a couple of big boats.  https://www.tillerandkites.com  Flying Tiger 7.5 and 10m, a Capri 37...etc.

A year ago while visiting my friend, we went to lake pleasant and they dry storage had lots of little race boats too. There was even one of the early Mini 6.5 with about a 6' draft. It really looked out of place.

It is a nice looking lake but my friend says the level is down. They have had less rain than us in So Cal and we have really had none.

On 5/5/2021 at 3:01 PM, Meat Wad said:

it was in an upholstery shop lot. 

I've been trying for months to find an upholsterer that will come out to my boat. Maybe this guy had the same problem and took the boat to the upholsterer!

Boats out of place? Here's an old one on the Columbia Icefields. The busload of Japanese tourists sure figured it was worth a shot.

(might fit better in the show-your-boa- not-sailing thread, but oh well. Time for more wine)

image.thumb.png.88e3bbddf22070fcdfbecf1d70c92e9f.png

• Like 1
5 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Lucky guy - IMO one of the best looking boats ever.

Beneteau 42 Frers Design Yacht | Busfield Marine Brokers

As I recall, hull lines based on a successful 2 tonner. Beneteau offered a few variations- lead keel/cast iron, standard rig and tall rig. Maybe couple other variables. I raced on Great Lakes boat that had tall rig, lead keel. If I remember right, it weighed in about 23000 pounds. Owner bought it directly from France 87/88 at a time that exchange rate made it a steal. There were several others on the Great Lakes, we always managed to beat them and do well in Mac races and other distance races. We sailed through 50 knot+ squall with reefed main and #2 trucking up rhumb line when others down to bare poles— several rigs down that year including one of the Santa Cruz 70’s. That boat could take just about anything. Even raced one design in Chicago NOOD in early 90’s when NOOD still meant offshore capable boats, not J70’s or Solings etc. 

Owner moved up to bigger boat and last I knew the 42 was in Chicago. There has been one on Yacht World for a couple years in Chicago but not boat I sailed on. My  wife loved that boat as well. If I could find one in great condition and right options I’d be tempted....

• Like 1
On 5/5/2021 at 12:01 PM, Meat Wad said:

I remember the santa cruz 70 with the same name, but that isn't it.

16 hours ago, stief said:

Boats out of place? Here's an old one on the Columbia Icefields. The busload of Japanese tourists sure figured it was worth a shot.

(might fit better in the show-your-boa- not-sailing thread, but oh well. Time for more wine)

image.thumb.png.88e3bbddf22070fcdfbecf1d70c92e9f.png

I like your idea!  Here is another trimaran that fits the 'post a boat out of place' moniker...

IMG_1167.jpg

IMG_1166.jpg

26 minutes ago, 2flit said:

I like your idea!  Here is another trimaran that fits the 'post a boat out of place' moniker..

Nice! Launch is ahead and amas were just lowered, I assume?  Guessing the chocks are needed while trailer tongue extension/ cable is used. Nice that you seem to be able to launch with only a few feet of water.  Somehow the grassy banks make me think that's a freshwater lake in WA, but that surely is a seagoing tri.

Liked the helpful help. Not sure about the bananas, though :P

( @Meat Wad let me know if this is OT, and you'd like to keep the thread about the boat you discovered)

On 5/5/2021 at 2:01 PM, Meat Wad said:

Getting the headliners redone for the owner's wife?

OK, I guess I stand corrected on the model. Those side ports in hull are not original that I remember. There were at least 4 boats I  recall seeing around Lake Michigan and none had those. The back one might be located in aft cabin (on port on one I sailed on; there was aft head on starboard side), but center one not sure. Also not sure about 4 cowlings on transom. But was quite a while ago. 

20 hours ago, 2flit said:

I like your idea!  Here is another trimaran that fits the 'post a boat out of place' moniker...

IMG_1166.jpg

It looks like a lake or bay to the left. Looks like an F27 or 31. I'd fold them ama's up.

On 5/7/2021 at 6:34 PM, Meat Wad said:

A year ago while visiting my friend, we went to lake pleasant and they dry storage had lots of little race boats too. There was even one of the early Mini 6.5 with about a 6' draft. It really looked out of place.

It is a nice looking lake but my friend says the level is down. They have had less rain than us in So Cal and we have really had none.

We're hurting in Utah too.  Luckily our lake/reservoir in Park City is 300' deep so there's lots of room to go but it is a question of the ramp.  We should be 90% full soon but last year we were 100%+  The Great Salt Lake hauled all sailboats out of the water as the harbor was impossible to get out of for most sailboats and the future is bleak.

I've always wondered what the story was behind this unfinished Wilderness 40 just west of Lock #17 in Little Falls NY on the Erie Barge Canal.  Weird place for a west coast sled to end up...  This pic was taken in 2006 but the boat still appears on Google Earth.

image.thumb.png.4eaf44a43dd6d5c40a40061e2d68442c.png

image.thumb.png.e1e92164fe3a1efb406165d7c94aa4eb.png

Another interesting site within a mile of the boat above is this little island, where some pretty storied boats marked their passing as they headed through on their way to the Great Lakes for a Mac race or two...

image.png.418f1031f68f6df7fd67257347d8ff3c.png

Cheers!