Could always just drag the fishing boats to the bottom with a submarine. Its been done before :o

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Al Paca said:

The war last about 10-20 minutes. My money is on the Limey’s. 

The French can win this one just by unplugging the big extension cord that the States have plugged into a French outlet. Warships are not much use when it comes to re-establishing an electricity supply....)

(Note in this case the States does not refer to the USA in case anyone was wondering)

Last i checked, regular British mainlanders can't live on Jersey or Guernsey. 

So my sympathy for these elitist closed islands is not much.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Essex said:

Not sure this is true, any facts to back it up?

I dated a lady in Guernsey for a while quite a few years back. Never heard of this rule back then but they did have a rule on house pricing to where locals to the island had an affordable price and non locals had to pay stupid amounts of money for housing. Kinda made the rule by default.

You all laugh, but wars have been fought over fishing before, and are likely to trigger new ones in future.

Just ask fishermen in the Philippines or Vietnam or South Korea what they think about China in the South China Sea and beyond

NAVY.png

And for foreign policy nerds https://foreignpolicy.com/2018/09/12/food-fight-illegal-fishing-conflict/

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

You all laugh, but wars have been fought over fishing before, and are likely to trigger new ones in future.

Just ask fishermen in the Philippines or Vietnam or South Korea what they think about China in the South China Sea and beyond

No-one who knows history is laughing about this.

The UK has a long history of fishery protection using warships, when I was growing up the 'Cod Wars' were a frequent news issue.  They involved plenty of ramming but fortunately not much in the way of shooting.

• Like 1

We've had to chase Europeans off the Grand Banks in the past.

Last time, IIRC some Spanish or Portuguese boats were impounded.

1 hour ago, Treads said:

I dated a lady in Guernsey for a while quite a few years back. Never heard of this rule back then but they did have a rule on house pricing to where locals to the island had an affordable price and non locals had to pay stupid amounts of money for housing. Kinda made the rule by default.

Highly sensible rule IMO, else locals get priced out of their own places.

FKT

• Like 1
4 hours ago, JohnMB said:

The French can win this one just by unplugging the big extension cord that the States have plugged into a French outlet. Warships are not much use when it comes to re-establishing an electricity supply....)

(Note in this case the States does not refer to the USA in case anyone was wondering)

The US navy used the Aircraft Carrier USS Lexington to supply power to Seattle for month during a drought at some point just before WW 2.

13 minutes ago, Frank White said:

The US navy used the Aircraft Carrier USS Lexington to supply power to Seattle for month during a drought at some point just before WW 2.

Not sure if the RN had a functioning Carrier

6 hours ago, JohnMB said:

No-one who knows history is laughing about this.

The UK has a long history of fishery protection using warships, when I was growing up the 'Cod Wars' were a frequent news issue.  They involved plenty of ramming but fortunately not much in the way of shooting.

I remember seeing minesweepers from back then with wooden planks on the topsides each side of the bow to minimize damage to the structure.

2 hours ago, Frank White said:

That's pretty cool, I had to look it up, but definitely a nice piece of history. Even more to understand that at that point  13mW was enough to supply a city the size of Seattle.  Even with the increase capacity available from a modern nuclear carrier, im not sure it would be enough.

2 hours ago, sailman said:

Not sure if the RN had a functioning Carrier

There are still 2 in commission. its not totally clear there is enough fuel available in the budget to actually use them (ref Yes Minister :) ).

2 hours ago, JohnMB said:

That's pretty cool, I had to look it up, but definitely a nice piece of history. Even more to understand that at that point  13mW was enough to supply a city the size of Seattle.  Even with the increase capacity available from a modern nuclear carrier, im not sure it would be enough

Average day is 25,000 mW now.

The channel islands has the facility to generate it's own power, it's just cheaper from France..

Guernsey Electricity has a security of supply strategy where the role of the power station is to provide continuity of electricity supply in the event of any issue with the importation cable. We can reassure all consumers of the resilience of the local generation capability and there is sufficient capacity to meet all the island’s electricity demand.

Alan Bates, Guernsey Electricity CEO

You could also always ship a couple of diesel electric loco's over.. They've been used  before to provide extra electricity supplies..

5 minutes ago, The Q said:

The channel islands has the facility to generate it's own power, it's just cheaper from France..

Guernsey Electricity has a security of supply strategy where the role of the power station is to provide continuity of electricity supply in the event of any issue with the importation cable. We can reassure all consumers of the resilience of the local generation capability and there is sufficient capacity to meet all the island’s electricity demand.

Alan Bates, Guernsey Electricity CEO

You could also always ship a couple of diesel electric loco's over.. They've been used  before to provide extra electricity supplies..

Hopefully it there won't be a need to do that. Sounds like it would cause Texas prices.

1 minute ago, Upp3 said:

Hopefully it there won't be a need to do that. Sounds like it would cause Texas prices.

The government would subsidise to avoid looking stupid on yet another aspect of brexit

• Like 1
2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Average day is 25,000 mW now.

mW or MW, cos 25 000 mW would be doable with a few solar panel and some batteries!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Panoramix said:

mW or MW, cos 25 000 mW would be doable with a few solar panel and some batteries!

I'll steer conversation from fishing war to metric vs. imperial. What unit would imperialists use instead of watts? And what would be the units used when there is few orders of magnitude larger stuff, like kW and MW?

2 minutes ago, Upp3 said:

I'll steer conversation from fishing war to metric vs. imperial. What unit would imperialists use instead of watts? And what would be the units used when there is few orders of magnitude larger stuff, like kW and MW?

Dunno, that's probably why they sometimes talk of Trillions! So million or billion Horsepower may be ?

1 million Horsepower = 745MW

1 billion horsepower = 745 GW

1 trillion horsepower = 745 TW

I think that @SloopJonB meant 25 GW, so that would be 33.6 Million Horsepower in Imperial, not sure if anybody would actually use this unit though!

16 hours ago, Al Paca said:

The war last about 10-20 minutes. My money is on the Limey’s. 

Johnson fucks it up, war contracts to cronies, declares victory to pet 'journalists' and job's a good un.

16 hours ago, Treads said:

Since you are in NC:  Along these lines, the Ocracoke Islanders give each other a 30% discount on good and services. I had a neighbor who kept his catamaran there a few summers and did tourist sunset cruises. Unlimited beer and wine was part of the deal, and he made a nice business with it. But he said the first year he almost went broke in September - all the Ocracokers showed up and drank him out of house and home.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Great Red Shark said:

Like a Maryland vs. Virginia sorta thiing?

We should hope it doesn't get that bad!

* seriously, at some points in time this was an actual shooting war and also the ultimate colregs war, Maryland only allows sailboats to dredge for oysters and Virginia allows powerboats. If memory serves, the "Oyster War" lasted in one form or another from the 1890s to the 1950s.

6 hours ago, Panoramix said:

Whoops, yes I definitely got that wrong.... would you accept typo. I definitely know better.

46 minutes ago, JohnMB said:

Whoops, yes I definitely got that wrong.... would you accept typo. I definitely know better.

Granted... :)

4 hours ago, sailman said:

My mistake.  The RN has a long history of owning the French Navy so this should wrap up soon.

Maybe since Trafalgar, I grant you, but the French Navy owned the RN up until something like the late 18th century. It was Adm Comte de Grasse who smacked down the British fleet in the Battle of the Chesapeake and allowed Washington and Lafayette (another Frenchman, remember him?) to bottle up Cornwallis at Yorktown and win the Revolutionary War. Before that, the French and Dutch navies were making such a habit out of handing the RN its ass that a civilian, Samuel Pepys, was appointed to make recommendations for reforms to procurement, promotion and accountability for tactical decision making of its leaders. One of the excuses eliminated was the one about "I was only following orders". Once these reforms had time to work their way through the RN's leadership, a commander could be sacked for failing to exhibit initiative during battle-considered a key component of Nelson's success at Trafalgar. Nelson's communication upon entering that battle, "England expects that every man will do his duty", is thought to be a reminder that no failure to seize an opportunity for victory would be tolerated. As such, the RN was taking a page directly out of the French Navy's tactical doctrine from more than a century earlier.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, kinardly said:

Maybe since Trafalgar, I grant you, but the French Navy owned the RN up until something like the late 18th century. It was Adm Comte de Grasse who smacked down the British fleet in the Battle of the Chesapeake and allowed Washington and Lafayette (another Frenchman, remember him?) to bottle up Cornwallis at Yorktown and win the Revolutionary War. Before that, the French and Dutch navies were making such a habit out of handing the RN its ass that a civilian, Samuel Pepys, was appointed to make recommendations for reforms to procurement, promotion and accountability for tactical decision making of its leaders. One of the excuses eliminated was the one about "I was only following orders". Once these reforms had time to work their way through the RN's leadership, a commander could be sacked for failing to exhibit initiative during battle-considered a key component of Nelson's success at Trafalgar. Nelson's communication upon entering that battle, "England expects that every man will do his duty", is thought to be a reminder that no failure to seize an opportunity for victory would be tolerated. As such, the RN was taking a page directly out of the French Navy's tactical doctrine from more than a century earlier.

I think that’s a tall order to say the French owned the RN. It was pretty much honours even in the 18thC and the Brits subsequently won the decisive Battle of the Saints after Chesapeake and thereafter mostly won, although that’s a generalisation clearly!

5 hours ago, sailman said:

My mistake.  The RN has a long history of owning the French Navy so this should wrap up soon.

To be fair, if you’d said your previous post a year ago you’d have been spot on!

3 hours ago, The Main Man said:

To be fair, if you’d said your previous post a year ago you’d have been spot on!

?

11 minutes ago, sailman said:
4 hours ago, The Main Man said:

?

I thicke hese sayeng "Haille Frenchania, Frenchania rulles the waaves"                                :)

• Like 1
On 5/7/2021 at 9:16 AM, The Main Man said:

What a beauty! Now should the french lend the brits a few decent planes to put on that? 

Let's face it : this long history of british/french feuds and tauntings at sea looks more and more like marital disorders. With quite a few dead bodies in loads of closets, granted. But hey we still love you. Don't leave!

• Like 2
3 hours ago, leuk said:

What a beauty! Now should the french lend the brits a few decent planes to put on that? 

Let's face it : this long history of british/french feuds and tauntings at sea looks more and more like marital disorders. With quite a few dead bodies in loads of closets, granted. But hey we still love you. Don't leave!

You're not wrong! I certainly didn't want to leave it's nuts. 

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, The Main Man said:

You're not wrong! I certainly didn't want to leave it's nuts. 

Too late, we have left, now we just have to sort the acrimonious divorce that political numpties and metropolitan has beens seem to like to keep their jobs for a few more years. 

But really 40 French boats getting headlines both here and the Beeb as though it was going to be the start of the 3rd WW. Nah just simple you’re making it hard for the Brit boats to maintain their markets, we may well just make it a bit difficult for the French. Yup you can shut off Calais but who cares, the trucks will just move up the coast and the punters can’t cross anyway. 

8 hours ago, leuk said:

Can just drop F35s on them once they've run out of Harriers

On 5/7/2021 at 3:31 AM, European Bloke said:

The government would subsidise to avoid looking stupid on yet another aspect of brexit

Jersey doesn’t pay taxes ....tax havens rarely get safety nets

On 5/6/2021 at 8:58 PM, JohnMB said:
On 5/6/2021 at 8:37 PM, Essex said:

Not sure this is true, any facts to back it up?

Yes, there are certain criteria to meet, you can’t just turn up and move there.

On 5/6/2021 at 4:29 AM, leuk said:

UK sends Royal Navy to patrol Jersey amid fishing row with France - BBC News

Bring it on! We'll crash fishing vessels on your ships and slowly contaminate them with rust and unbearable smell. Plus this one will be fought lit by torch light and candles. Memories...

Just don't shut off the banks, we need them to deposit errrm... stuff. You know.

Very convenient there happen to be elections going on at the same time…….:rolleyes:

• Like 1
10 hours ago, leuk said:

I’m not sure it’s a case of them still loving each other, I think it’s more a case of both knowing that the other is a good ride and despite the fact that they can’t stand each other, they both really really like to fuck.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Dex Sawash said:

Can just drop F35s on them once they've run out of Harriers

Yes I figured that was the plan, that's why I said "decent" planes :p

4 hours ago, Al Paca said:

The Brits haven’t kicked any ass since they bitch slapped the Argies. Way overdue. 

Not without the help of the yanks and the Chileans they didn’t.

9 minutes ago, Al Paca said:

Hell, the DoD told the Limeys and the frogs they didn’t stand a chance of taking the Suez Canal back. 

Ftfy 

On 5/6/2021 at 11:46 AM, shaggybaxter said:

Hold my beer...

That was  good clip. I'm gonna have to watch the show.  I probably saw it way back but don't remember.

On 5/7/2021 at 3:18 AM, The Main Man said:

I see our tabloids are up to their usual standards...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-57017308

The Thin Man said "that shot came nowhere near my tabloids".

Well actually, Nick Charles said that, but many people conflate the the two separate characters.

18 minutes ago, PurpleOnion said:

The Thin Man said "that shot came nowhere near my tabloids".

Well actually, Nick Charles said that, but many people conflate the the two separate characters.

Thay our prettey insepparaballe......         :)

• Downvote 1
1 hour ago, Snaggletooth said:

Thay our prettey insepparaballe......         :)

As someone younger than me said "true dat"

On 5/8/2021 at 8:17 PM, Sea warrior said:

Not without the help of the yanks and the Chileans they didn’t.

Would be interested in knowing how and why you think that. Vulcans flew from Waddington, were refueled by Victor tankers,  managed to get there to drop some bombs on Stanley airfield. All the Navy ships that were down there were British.

28 minutes ago, Treads said:

Would be interested in knowing how and why you think that. Vulcans flew from Waddington, were refueled by Victor tankers,  managed to get there to drop some bombs on Stanley airfield. All the Navy ships that were down there were British.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4622565.stm

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/politics/1984/03/07/us-aid-to-britain-in-falklands-war-is-detailed/6e50e92e-3f4b-4768-97fb-57b5593994e6/

Cool, not so sure I believe the Washington post entirely. We all know how truthful the US media is :-) .  I'm sure there may have been some satellite intelligence, as for the rest, the British military has enough stockpiles for what it needed. It was the cold war back then and with the Russian threat, there would never have been a shortage of fuel and ammunition's. Wouldn't have had time for a delivery if Russia had decided to pop across the boarder.

11 hours ago, Treads said:

Cool, not so sure I believe the Washington post entirely. We all know how truthful the US media is :-) .  I'm sure there may have been some satellite intelligence, as for the rest, the British military has enough stockpiles for what it needed. It was the cold war back then and with the Russian threat, there would never have been a shortage of fuel and ammunition's. Wouldn't have had time for a delivery if Russia had decided to pop across the boarder.

Yep, the Sepos cracked Enigma as well, even made a film about it. Try to keep up, nothing ever works without them.

• Like 1
On 5/6/2021 at 8:20 PM, Frank White said:

The Gray Ghost. Landed on that boat many moons ago.

On 5/11/2021 at 3:56 AM, European Bloke said:

Yep, the Sepos cracked Enigma as well, even made a film about it. Try to keep up, nothing ever works without them.

Got that right. And it’s Seppo, thank you very much.