Documentation service in/near Annapolis

I just bought a boat out-of state and I'd like to Document it. 

Can anyone recommend a boat documentation service company near Annapolis? 
I've found a few through Google, but if someone here can share the name of one they used and liked, that would carry a lot of weight in my selection. 

Isn't this like ... not ok?

From Sailnet: Boat documentation service near Annapolis?

I just bought a boat out-of state and I either need to register it in Marylsand or Document it. Can anyone recommend a boat documentation service company near Annapolis? I've found a few through Google, but if someone here can share the name of one they used and liked, that would carry a lot...

From your post it appears you have purchased an undocumented vessel and would now like to apply to have it documented.  Start by doing it yourself.  I'm assuming you have all the correct paperwork in your possession.  I also purchased an undocumented vessel a couple years ago from out of state and applied for documentation.  The original boat dealer had made a mistake in the original purchase documents that caused some headaches, but everything was sorted in the end.  Here's the USCG linky:  https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Our-Organization/Assistant-Commandant-for-Prevention-Policy-CG-5P/Inspections-Compliance-CG-5PC-/National-Vessel-Documentation-Center/National-Vessel-Documentation-Center-Instructions-and-Forms/

What do you perceive as the benefits of have it documented? 

12 minutes ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

What do you perceive as the benefits of have it documented? 

1) Easier to sail to destinations outside the US.

2) You don't have to have those ugly state license numbers on the bow.

3) One more damn registration to keep up with :)

8 minutes ago, gbkersey said:

yeah the majority of people that actually benefit from item 1 are very few and far between. 

And I really wonder how much easier it makes it than having the correct state reg card or paperwork and numbers. 

You still have to renew the documention every year and many states now offer 2 yr sticker and can be done online... and if the doc lapses it's a much bigger pain in the ass than picking a new registration. 

How often to you actually see your bow numbers when you're operating your boat? 

for most people, the hassle and cost of documentation really doesn't get them any true benefit in the long run. 

Plus he is

58 minutes ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

for most people, the hassle and cost of documentation really doesn't get them any true benefit in the long run. 

especially for a daysailer

57 minutes ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

for some size boats, to get a loan the boat must be documented, because it makes it easier for the bank to seize the property if the loan is defaulted. Not to mention the excitement that at any time, you could be pressed into the service of the US Navy! Also the new documentation will be good for 5 years, not 1.

6 minutes ago, ryley said:

for some size boats, to get a loan the boat must be documented, because it makes it easier for the bank to seize the property if the loan is defaulted. Not to mention the excitement that at any time, you could be pressed into the service of the US Navy! Also the new documentation will be good for 5 years, not 1.

for some size boats... yeah... but for this guys 3 kt shitbox? (no offense, we've all had one, or crewed on one at some point...) 

I never bothered to document the J35, but I've always doc'ed all my power boats over 30', sometimes I don't know why I did it. 

Current trawler it kinda makes sense, since, it may very well go in and out of the country a few times... but I digress

The thread was started to answer this guys question, not for a $500k 8 kt shitbox leveraged out the wazoo. 

2 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

How often to you actually see your bow numbers when you're operating your boat? 

Never because we are a documented vessel. 

But if we were not documented, anytime I'm driving upwind.

3 hours ago, gbkersey said:

Numbers 1, 2 & 3 don't make any sense. No foreign official cares. I sailed for years w/o state numbers on the boat, nobody seems to care. Renewal is about the same 4 minute job.

Lenders like documented boats.

Back in the day I heard from a buddy that knew a guy that a lot of documented boats never got state stickers and never paid sales tax. Most states are wise to this by now, I have to get a Maryland sticker for my documented boat every 2 years. The state used to, and may still, go looking for boats with Delaware home ports that somehow seem to have a permanent slip in Maryland.

One advantage to documentation is that you can renew for up to 5 years at a time and not have to hassle with it. Starting next year all renewals will be for 5 years to save the USCG admin costs.

30 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Lenders like documented boats.

Back in the day I heard from a buddy that knew a guy that a lot of documented boats never got state stickers and never paid sales tax. Most states are wise to this by now, I have to get a Maryland sticker for my documented boat every 2 years. The state used to, and may still, go looking for boats with Delaware home ports that somehow seem to have a permanent slip in Maryland.

So, does an owner still have to go through the Maryland Registration process before applying for documentation? Then you get the stickers and the numbers, you just don’t need to put the numbers on the boat?

1 hour ago, Quickstep192 said:

So, does an owner still have to go through the Maryland Registration process before applying for documentation? Then you get the stickers and the numbers, you just don’t need to put the numbers on the boat?

no bow numbers, just a "documented vessel" registration sticker. But don't get caught by the CG or DNR with one of those stickers and no current document on the boat :)

3 minutes ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

no bow numbers, just a "documented vessel" registration sticker. But don't get caught by the CG or DNR with one of those stickers and no current document on the boat :)

The "documented vessel" sticker you mention is a MD thing? Does the USCG Vessel Number still need to be "Engraved" in the hull?

1 minute ago, Borracho said:

The "documented vessel" sticker you mention is a MD thing? Does the USCG Vessel Number still need to be "Engraved" in the hull?

yes, and yes. 

I'm pretty sure, although happy to be proved wrong, that VA and DC also have some sort of sticker for documented vessels.. at least they did back in the 80s and 90s when I kept boats there. 

5 hours ago, gbkersey said:

Never because we are a documented vessel. 

But if we were not documented, anytime I'm driving upwind.

Well a doc vessel in Austin sure makes sense. God only knows the stuff Lake Travis can throw at you when yer driving upwind.

Can anyone say hipster?

I

13 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

Well a doc vessel in Austin sure makes sense. God only knows the stuff Lake Travis can throw at you when yer driving upwind.

Can anyone say hipster?

I just don't like the TX numbers...  We have taken the boat to the Bahamas and being documented made things easier.  Mexico and Cuba trips in the planning stages.