Neel trimarans have excessive fixed draft

For East coastal U.S. from the Chesapeake Bay to Florida and Texas an inexpensive option for Neel would be (modernized)  lifting leeboards on the center hull (Google Lemsteraak).  This would open up a huge potential market area for them.  

1 hour ago, hannibalhouse said:

For East coastal U.S. from the Chesapeake Bay to Florida and Texas an inexpensive option for Neel would be (modernized)  lifting leeboards on the center hull (Google Lemsteraak).  This would open up a huge potential market area for them.  

Its a boat built for charter companies. 

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1
1 hour ago, hannibalhouse said:

They weigh a lot.  The volume has to go somewhere.

• Like 1

Having done a largish multihull with leeboard (s), i can say its a tad easier said than done..  I had a client who thought along the same lines you are and as such we did rev 1 of his boat with leeboards (on the inboard sides of both hulls - it was a cat).  With that said, it worked fine, just alot more complicated than one would expect.   On top of that they were certainly not accepted in potential buyer's eyes.  Thus my client opted to refit the boat with proper centerboards for rev 1.

• Like 1

Leeboard no, daggerboard or centerboard, yes. I gotta say I agree with you the Neel would have  a lot more attraction if it could be shallow draft. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Mizzmo said:

Leeboard no, daggerboard or centerboard, yes. I gotta say I agree with you the Neel would have  a lot more attraction if it could be shallow draft. 

That, and less noise about build quality would help

• Like 1

That was one of the first things I noticed when I first looked at these: that deep "keel" makes sense for going to windward but that's a lot of draft for a multihull.
A daggerboard or CB would be good for sure although daggerboards on a cruiser are a bit problematic when you hit the bottom.
There might be an opportunity to do an offset centerboard in the main hull with the slot above the waterline which would allow it to kick up as well as be out of water when retracted to facilitate maintenance (no growth issues), maybe that's what the OP was thinking off? I think you could get away with only one...
The next issue would be to have a retractable rudder and protecting the Saildrive though...

I do wonder if quality issues have been resolved or at least significantly improved: I watched the Ruby Rose "review" on youtube last year or so and there were some clearly visible issues but here they mention not seeing anything wrong quality-wise:

16 hours ago, hannibalhouse said:

Well... google says: "The best boats to travel down the ICW are motorboats or sailboats with a mast no higher than 64' or a keel not too much deeper than 5'." and The 43 is 62' and 4.95' 

And those numbers are from their site. French company. Listing their product's specs in rods and furlongs. They have seen the potential too.

21 hours ago, hannibalhouse said:

Plenty of monos on the Bay with 5+ft draft.

5 foot of draft is not ‘deep’.  It’s marginal for a boat like that if you’re thinking of sailing to windward.   Oh, wait, you must be one of those guys who thinks (no judgement here) that the above picture is how you always want to do things.  Putting a 40+ footer ‘on the beach’ is nuts. Yes, yes, it CAN be done and I suppose if, like Slocum, you need to do a haul out on the beach for some maintenance in the Cocos Keeling islands, then, sure.   Put $900 of bottom paint on her and ‘sand’ it off in tha afternoon on a beach somewhere? No thanks.  Watch for the errant rock that sticks up a bit higher and dents or holes your hull.  Pray the wind doesn’t pick up or a large powerboater doesn’t come by and bounce you a few times when either drying out or floating off.  I had daggerboards on a 41’ cat.  Ran under power at 4-4.5’ draft to protect my sail drives and 3’ deep rudders.  Also, helped a lot to have a steady helm.  Btw, once you are dried out, you’ll be crawling on your belly in the muck trying to actually DO any work on the underside.

Sorry (mostly) but I’ve heard lots of folks who think this is a good idea, but seldom see it (deliberately) done.  Now, under 30’? Maybe you’ll be somewhere near a warm, sunny sandbar for a lunch stop where it comes in handy and could actually be fun.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Veeger said:

5 foot of draft is not ‘deep’.  It’s marginal for a boat like that if you’re thinking of sailing to windward.   Oh, wait, you must be one of those guys who thinks (no judgement here) that the above picture is how you always want to do things.  Putting a 40+ footer ‘on the beach’ is nuts. Yes, yes, it CAN be done and I suppose if, like Slocum, you need to do a haul out on the beach for some maintenance in the Cocos Keeling islands, then, sure.   Put $900 of bottom paint on her and ‘sand’ it off in tha afternoon on a beach somewhere? No thanks.  Watch for the errant rock that sticks up a bit higher and dents or holes your hull.  Pray the wind doesn’t pick up or a large powerboater doesn’t come by and bounce you a few times when either drying out or floating off.  I had daggerboards on a 41’ cat.  Ran under power at 4-4.5’ draft to protect my sail drives and 3’ deep rudders.  Also, helped a lot to have a steady helm.  Btw, once you are dried out, you’ll be crawling on your belly in the muck trying to actually DO any work on the underside.

Sorry (mostly) but I’ve heard lots of folks who think this is a good idea, but seldom see it (deliberately) done.  Now, under 30’? Maybe you’ll be somewhere near a warm, sunny sandbar for a lunch stop where it comes in handy and could actually be fun.

I wasn't thinking about beaching (not a fan: you end up with tonnes of sand everywhere onboard) so much as being able to get to shallower areas.
It really depends where you are sailing. Draft doesn't really mater much in the PNW but if you are getting close to 6' in the Bahamas you will be completely shut out from a lot places (or get the crappy/choppy spots further out)! And if you can float in 3' you can access many places very few others can and get the "best seat in the house" (not to mention hurricane holes if it comes down to that...). A "performance" multi with retractable appendages can be a really useful feature for cruising enjoyment in certain areas.

• Like 2

Yes, the Bahamas have some places where 5’ draft starts to keep you on your toes, so to speak.  But then, if that’s your playground, you just have to keep looking for shallower draft...  The Neel would still work, folks make deeper draft work all the time.  It’s all about priorities and choices... everyone has ‘em.

My harbour is a muddy shit-hole but I love it. The moorings are cheap because any boat that draws more than a couple of feet sits on the bottom every tide. That rules out a NEEL for me. 

9 hours ago, teamvmg said:

My harbour is a muddy shit-hole but I love it. The moorings are cheap because any boat that draws more than a couple of feet sits on the bottom every tide. That rules out a NEEL for me. 

At least mud is somewhat more forgiving...