I am in the upcoming Golden Globe Race. I'm looking to add a hydro generator to my solar power. Anyone have experience this this or any other brands. Reliability is paramount! Looking for real life experiences, including failures.

A friend has one 

He tells me it works perfectly 

prop clogs with weed , jellies  plastic 

When underspeed and overspeed selecting the correct props is an issue 

He recommends to purchase the largest unit and only deploy when conditions are correct for generation ..then  retract the unit 

he doesn’t run it at night , unsupervised 

he has several thousand miles on the unit 

his unit is a single , slightly off centerline  to avoid rudder turbulence 

its s 40 ft , 6 to 8 knot boat 

Yes, and from what I know w/o any issues. But I've read, seen there are units that have failed. Just trying to learn more from real life experiences.

www.keysspirit.com

54 minutes ago, justanothersailor said:

Yes, and from what I know w/o any issues. But I've read, seen there are units that have failed. Just trying to learn more from real life experiences.

www.keysspirit.com

Just a thought - maybe try pinging Erik Aanderaa via his popular YT channel.  I think he has one (may possibly be sponsor-provided gear [dunno], though, so may not get an objective answer)?

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCUH6fLsV6J7WKEmf7vJKfAw

7 hours ago, justanothersailor said:

I am in the upcoming Golden Globe Race. I'm looking to add a hydro generator to my solar power. Anyone have experience this this or any other brands. Reliability is paramount! Looking for real life experiences, including failures.

You might want to drag @Haji into the discussion, too. He knows a fair bit about them.