Jump to content

News: Vets For Peace historic vessel departs Hawaii


Recommended Posts

39 minutes ago, Monkey said:

I certainly can’t say it’s not true, but in every book I’ve ever read involving Rickover, his anti-nuke stance was only that it had no business as a land based power plant. 

Rickover was not perfect and he could be vain.

Story is that he was against land based nuclear power because he would not be in control of it therefore he didn't trust it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 823
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Errr...one small problem. There is not one post wishing ill on the crew.    Why is that oh erudite one ? In my world,. when you act like a dick your mates will give you a nudge. In case yo

I am sad to hear about your health issues ED, hope you are doing ok.  The above is exactly why I have no time for AJ. When the observation is more applicable to the defence, I think you've answer

As I think this over, it occurs that US politics are needlessly complex. In a nutshell, you either lap up AJ's drool and spittle, or ... you're a Nazi. Simple stuff really. 

Posted Images

Rickover led by the force of his will and his absolute conviction that he was right.

He was either loved or hated for of it.

IMO no one else could have accomplished what he did and especially the time frame he took to do it.

He demanded perfection and procedure and made many men better than they ever thought they could be.

He was totally unconcerned about rank. He didn't care if you were an E-5 or an 0-5 if you could do the job.

In the past 66 years USN has never lost a submarine because of a nuclear casualty. Remarkable achievement.

We did lose two nuke boats (1963/1968) but those loses were not a result of any failure of their power plants.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not that I ever served in the military, my brothers and I are the first generation since 1789 that have not enlisted to protect our country in uniform, due to selective service and a rare peace in the late 80’s-90’s, but I know a naval commander who was the commissioning crew executive officer on the Hyman G. Rickover (SSN 709) before commanding the Shark(SSN 591). I can look his record up and find several references even though I only know him through years of sailing one design against him. He is humble. I never would have thought that he was in command of so many men and such an incredible projection of naval power.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

Not that I ever served in the military, my brothers and I are the first generation since 1789 that have not enlisted to protect our country in uniform, due to selective service and a rare peace in the late 80’s-90’s, but I know a naval commander who was the commissioning crew executive officer on the Hyman G. Rickover (SSN 709) before commanding the Shark(SSN 591). I can look his record up and find several references even though I only know him through years of sailing one design against him. He is humble. I never would have thought that he was in command of so many men and such an incredible projection of naval power.

 

709 is one of 3 Seawolf class boats. She was cut open and a 100' mission module section welded in.

She then became our specialized spy boat replacing the Parche and the Halibut.

Read Blind Mans Bluff and operation Ivy Bells for fascinating stories of Cold War operations of these highly decorated boats.

To then go from a state of the art Seawolf class back to a 590 class is like going back in time!

I would have stayed in if I could have transferred to a SSN but nobody transferred out of the Polaris program.

All good.

Link to post
Share on other sites

So I sort of get the impression that some of you think that Vets For Peace, T. Rogers, Dan Ellsberg, and little ol' moi . .  

are not really very supportive of our old nation-state,  . . 

But do you think that these creatures are ?? 

https://flagofficers4america.com/opening-statement

Which ones of us/them should lose retirement bennies ?? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking only for myself, fuck off with your passive aggressive BS.

If you are actually serious about your cause, feel free to chain yourself to a nuclear reactor and save the earth.

Try inside. The headlines will be better.

Meanwhile, sail your little boat around the USA and grab as many freebe crumbs as you can.

There is no shortage of fools willing to emote.

Maybe wear a cape for emphasis?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, sailpower said:

your passive aggressive BS

Well, your own aggression is not passive, though you tried to play that pretend open mind thing for a time. 

You came on this thread with your mind already made up, and with no intention of engaging in an honest exchange of views. 

But in any case, may you find peace; or peace find you - whichever comes first. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

My initial post asked you for a link to your claimed statement about Rickover. 

Nothing pretend about it.

In fact I am still interested in your rational response but clearly you can't provide one other than the hearsay and speculation that you have already offered.

FWIW that is on you not me.

The rest of your posts speak for themselves.

I will leave it to others to form their own conclusions about this discussion.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

So I sort of get the impression that some of you think that Vets For Peace, T. Rogers, Dan Ellsberg, and little ol' moi . .  

are not really very supportive of our old nation-state,  . . 

But do you think that these creatures are ?? 

https://flagofficers4america.com/opening-statement

Which ones of us/them should lose retirement bennies ?? 

 

This "cite" from AJ "Always Jawing" Oliver is propaganda by fascists friends of Flynn from a GoDaddy DIY blog site. Think Warbird and friends on a computer after a case of Busch Ice and some edibles. 

All up, another embarrassing diversion attempt by an internet weirdo who has been called out and obviously has nothing. This poseur is such a loser he had A Guy in the Chesapeake, if you recall, considering driving up and stomping his ass a year or two back.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I emailed them so they can appreciate all the hard work that AJ is doing on their behalf. 
They might notice that he keeps moving the goalposts and insulting a nuclear submarine naval veteran as well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Breamerly said:

Someone should (seriously) make sure the dudes in the peace boat see this thread, so they know how they are being represented.

Don't contact the boat - they have enough with which to concern themselves without your stupid flame/trolling. 

But feel free to contact the Vets For Peace office, or the VFP Golden Rule Project - both have web sites. 

Unlike you cowardly anonymous trolls, we are accountable for our actions. 

And below is a bald-faced lie, so typical of the local Reich. 

38 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

insulting a nuclear submarine naval veteran as well. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

No, definitely contact them. They have an email address that’s supplied in the link AJ posted at the top of this thread. They have the better part of 50 days of drifting and sailing ahead of them. Make sure they know what an asshole AJ has made of his self for them’all.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

No, definitely contact them.

I tried to get you flicked for that, but I guess the mods did not buy my argument. 

But if you do contact VFP, they will of course ask you for your name, 

which you will be too cowardly to provide. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

No, definitely contact them. They have an email address that’s supplied in the link AJ posted at the top of this thread. They have the better part of 50 days of drifting and sailing ahead of them. Make sure they know what an asshole AJ has made of his self for them’all.

 

I’m not sure I like that choice. AJ might be a dick, but it’s not very cool to drag SA shit fights into the real world. That’s a slippery slope. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Monkey said:

I’m not sure I like that choice. AJ might be a dick, but it’s not very cool to drag SA shit fights into the real world. That’s a slippery slope. 

Yup !

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, but AJ started the thread, treated people like a duche and now tried to get me flicked. Haha!! 
Sure, don’t contact them if you don’t want. I did and they got my real name, it’s in my email. AJ may get it from them and out me. That would be funny. 

1 hour ago, AJ Oliver said:

ried to get you flicked for that, but I guess the mods did not buy my argument. 

You have no argument because, as usual, you have nothing but anger and bitterness as your “talking point”. You would also like me to be a die hard Republican so you can keep calling me a reichster and Trumpista. I’m just really here to bust your  little grey haired balls since your such a dickwad every time you posts. Just because you finally slid out of PA and over to the minor leagues here, doesn’t mean your going to pitch a no hitter when you throw shit at me.

Keep Y’all’s efforts up and it’s nice to have you around as a punching bag, Lefty.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

Yeah, but AJ started the thread, treated people like a duche and now tried to get me flicked. Haha!! 
Sure, don’t contact them if you don’t want. I did and they got my real name, it’s in my email. AJ may get it from them and out me. That would be funny. 

You have no argument because, as usual, you have nothing but anger and bitterness as your “talking point”. You would also like me to be a die hard Republican so you can keep calling me a reichster and Trumpista. I’m just really here to bust your  little grey haired balls since your such a dickwad every time you posts. Just because you finally slid out of PA and over to the minor leagues here, doesn’t mean your going to pitch a no hitter when you throw shit at me.

Keep Y’all’s efforts up and it’s nice to have you around as a punching bag, Lefty.

I don’t agree with either of you. That bunch willingly associates with AJ, so any damage he does here is on them. You running to them to tattle on him is weak. Him running to the Ed to tattle on you is weak as well. 
 

Can’t we just act like adults and keep our childish arguments here? :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Monkey said:

I’m not sure I like that choice. AJ might be a dick, but it’s not very cool to drag SA shit fights into the real world. That’s a slippery slope. 

Using that analogy, it’s not very cool to drag SA good interactions into the real world either. 
???


 

Link to post
Share on other sites

There were very little good interactions in the thread aside from yours before I took notice of the decline of respect to anyone-even you, for no good reason.

I wish the guys a safe trip and hope it accomplishes at least some of the goals they wish to attain. 

If I were AJ, however, I would think about killing this thread and starting a new one with a little thicker skin on his hide. He has the moderator action option available. I don’t, or I would have helped out myself.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, sailpower said:

709 is one of 3 Seawolf class boats. She was cut open and a 100' mission module section welded in.

She then became our specialized spy boat replacing the Parche and the Halibut.

Read Blind Mans Bluff and operation Ivy Bells for fascinating stories of Cold War operations of these highly decorated boats.

To then go from a state of the art Seawolf class back to a 590 class is like going back in time!

I would have stayed in if I could have transferred to a SSN but nobody transferred out of the Polaris program.

All good.

Oops, my bad. I mixed up my boat names.

USS Hyman Rickover SSN709 was a Los Angeles class SSN.

The Sea Wolf class spy boat is the USS Jimmy Carter SSN-23.

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, sailpower said:

I got this wrong SSN709 is a Los Angeles class SSN.

The Sea Wolf class spy boat is the USS Jimmy Carter SSN-23.

An irrelevant sidebar to this story...

Walked into work one day and the phones are going nuts, it's a nation state and they are not happy. Their brand new submarine cable that was commissioned only a few months prior had gone offline. We logged on and found the problem, the cable showed a break a few 100kms off shore. We grabbed a cable ship and sent them heading in the right direction whilst we narrowed down the location of the fault. 

The ship arrives on station and successfully manages to grapple the cable and bring it to the surface where it was discovered the cable has been cut. Normally, this meant we had been paid a visit by the USN sub, as only the US had the ability to tap submarine cables that deep. If they made a meal of it, it would sometimes damage or cut the cable, so this is what we were all expecting.

Turns out it wasn't the USN this time. An oppo company (household brand name) that was really struggling with some of the technical nuances decided the easiest way to fix it was pinch one of the amplifiers laid inline with the cable off the sea floor and reverse engineer it.   

And no, it wasn't China. Turned out to be one of the NATO allies :)

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s allowed SP. The commander I mentioned gave a tour of a Virginia class sub in Newport for the OD class at a National Regatta in ‘04 though it wasn’t a sub that he had commanded. My brother stated that he had been in command of that particular asset so I had to check and clarify that he, had not commanded that vessel, rather the Los Angeles class.

Either way, much training and discipline go into any aspect of the submariner forces.

Much respect. I have watched videos of submariners and their routine since you posted. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, shaggybaxter said:

An irrelevant sidebar to this story...

Walked into work one day and the phones are going nuts, it's a nation state and they are not happy. Their brand new submarine cable that was commissioned only a few months prior had gone offline. We logged on and found the problem, the cable showed a break a few 100kms off shore. We grabbed a cable ship and sent them heading in the right direction whilst we narrowed down the location of the fault. 

The ship arrives on station and successfully manages to grapple the cable and bring it to the surface where it was discovered the cable has been cut. Normally, this meant we had been paid a visit by the USN sub, as only the US had the ability to tap submarine cables that deep. If they made a meal of it, it would sometimes damage or cut the cable, so this is what we were all expecting.

Turns out it wasn't the USN this time. An oppo company (household brand name) that was really struggling with some of the technical nuances decided the easiest way to fix it was pinch one of the amplifiers off the sea floor and reverse engineer it.   

And no, it wasn't China. Turned out to be one of the NATO allies :)

 

Scumbags. I bet it was Denmark! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sail4beer said:

Scumbags. I bet it was Denmark! 

Never did trust those Danes. All that hail well met, happy smiling affable decency and cool architecture.....bastards.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shaggybaxter said:

Using that analogy, it’s not very cool to drag SA good interactions into the real world either. 
???


 

Nonsense.  Good interactions don’t exactly cause problems. Hell, I’ve got dozens of real world stories that started on SA. My favorite was when Tom O’Keefe was asking around for a particular Barient winch for Ragtime to do a period correct replacement. I not only knew of the winch he needed, but an entire SC70’s worth of Barient hardware sitting in a crate.  The guys I put him in touch with were sick of storing that crate, so if he wanted the winch, he had to buy an entire deck package for a sled. Of course, the price was about the cost of the one winch.  I think the shipping cost more than the hardware when the deal was done. But now I smile every time I see a picture of Ragtime with the grinder in the cockpit, knowing that little restomod came about because of an SA conversation, which led to them being stuck with the hardware.

 

The big difference is that good interactions tend to be voluntary. When people start taking shit outside of SA in a negative way, I highly doubt it’s by mutual consent. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Monkey said:

Nonsense.  

That's only logical if you perceive criticism as a negative and not a positive which I don't. 

If Sail wanted to be an arsehole, he'd reach out and tell them how fucking wonderful AJ is a spokesman for their cause. That would fuck any org six ways from Sunday.    

Love the story about the winch though, thanks Monkey. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

As my good man Shaggy stated, I could have sent it sideways, but instead alerted the sailors to the problem AJ is causing them from his mobile device. Words have meaning...and real life consequences. 

Someone somewhere said basically, “you can invest millions in Advertising to have one person destroy it all with a word. AJ should consider that when he promotes the cause that he cares about so much. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 Funny how some are blind to the obvious damage they cause themselves to prove a point.

“See the obvious implication,  Lefty?”

306DCD07-524E-4597-9090-2D4B7ADEE4B7.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

AJ, are you done with dinner yet? 
 

Thousands of members, hundreds of lurkers and dozens of active members, except for LB, who is a little busy these days, are awaitng your’all’s response.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

 Funny how some are blind to the obvious damage they cause themselves to prove a point.

“See the obvious implication,  Lefty?”

 

 

1 minute ago, Sail4beer said:

AJ, are you done with dinner yet? 
 

Thousands of members, hundreds of lurkers and dozens of active members, except for LB, who is a little busy these days, are awaitng your’all’s response.

Ez cap. He told me he was "several hundred pounds of liberal fighting fury." 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I did hear recently that someone accused me of making their boat 600 lbs heavier when I gelcoated the topsides. The 2 gallons applied and the half gallon sanded down smoothed up to gloss apparently were much more like 60 gallons applied. The weight of a gallon of gelcoat is 9.6 lbs for reference. I was not aware of the problem I caused. It’s a good thing they found that a forward watertight compartment had accumulated water for a long period of time. Boat lost 600 weight and my reputation is still suspect until I sue for slander. Oh well, no slander charge and another AHole proves themselves incorrect. 
 

A couple of few hundred pounds would make for an obese, possibly diabetic, over 65, Covid risk that could not kick any part of my young, supple, conservative thinking American ass. Guaranteed in digital writing.;)AJ

Is your’all’s a veteran AJ, or are you just hijacking a cause for a “good cause”? Don’t use bone Spurs as an excuse, just in case. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/13/2021 at 1:24 AM, sailpower said:

In fact I am still interested in your rational response

No, you are not. 

I gave you a solid source - Rickover's own words recorded by "Sixty Minutes". 

And I also wrote that you were partly correct. 

That is all you are getting. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Morning report from Captain Kiko: (May 14, 2021) 

One water bladder has growth in it and may not be the best for drinking.  However, we have plenty of water and might decide to use some of it for rinsing laundry and bodies.

Yesterday I was sitting in the cockpit enjoying time without foulie (waterproof) gear on - I started to get cold and commented to Kanoelehua that I would go below and put on foulies; just then a big wave drenched me, filling the cockpit 1/2 way up.  

 It was “rough and roudy” last evening, but has been a beautiful starry night.  This morning the wind is lighter, the ocean is very smooth, and we’re going about 5 kt (almost 6 miles/hour).  (For reference, Golden Rule averages 5 kt whether sailing or motor sailing.  It’s a very good speed that gives a stable ride.)

 We’ve had the Genoa (really big head sail for light winds) up for two days now.  It’s really working well for us.

 Tomorrow is expected to be very calm, so we will probably motor, for at least a couple of hours.  The ETA for turning east is in 3 days, at which time the wind will be from the north.  We will be on a “port tack”, meaning that the wind will come from the left side of the boat.

Everyone is doing great!

From supporters:

Shane Anderson: Thank You for the constant updates about your voyage.  Thinking about your journey daily, wishing you all the best.  Be safe and have fun!!

 Susan Scniele: Everyday my heart is filled with these images and thoughts.  I am glad to be on dry land and in awe of all you sailors!  I have the idea to come meet the boat somewhere on trek in the continental US!

 Scott Tice: Making good progress now.  God Speed and safe travels to the crew of the Golden Rule

 Lynda Williams: Amazingly awesome!!!!! Thanks for the updates!! Love it!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

AJ, are you done with dinner yet? 

In fact, I was out sailing - fourth time in six days !! 

BTW, it was pretty evil of you to contact that boat at sea just because you have a beef with me. 

And to repeat, if you want to complain about moi, contact Vets For Peace home office (in St. Louis), or the VFP Golden Rule Project 

What is your problem ?? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

No, you are not. 

I gave you a solid source - Rickover's own words recorded by "Sixty Minutes". 

And I also wrote that you were partly correct. 

That is all you are getting. 

Solid source?

Rickover's own words would be him speaking them not a third party claiming that he said them or your speculation that must be what he meant.

There is no partially correct. It is either correct or it isn't.

If I had known that you are a long time DB I wouldn't have bothered replying to your nonsense.

Now I know so you are no longer worth my attention.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, sailpower said:

Solid source?

Rickover's own words would be him speaking them not a third party claiming that he said them or your speculation that must be what he meant.

Here we go again . .   these are Rickover's own words  !! 

 

CONGRESSMAN: What do you think is the - is the - is the prospect, then, for nuclear war?

AD RICKOVER: Well I think we'll probably destroy ourselves. 

Like many of us, he clearly came to regret his earlier support for nuclear weapons. 

There are a number of those who have gone through similar changes in their thinking in Vets For Peace. 

And I also believe President Carter . . 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

Yawn

Adm, R wase surrley disappointted withe N-program, benefittes werre a tremendouse plusse, butte the drwbackes werre biggere........           :)

 

The truthr liese in 'hessitancey' to believe untille prooven...............       IMHO

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/6/2021 at 3:14 PM, AJ Oliver said:

always looking for more good crew: sailor-photographers/poets & writers/grant writers/ and more.

Well good to know there's room for multiple poets even if the photographers have to be sailors as well. And the Grant writing is important when you have no other means to generate income than by begging, you certainly need multiple skilled ones

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, LionessRacing said:

Well good to know there's room for multiple poets even if the photographers have to be sailors as well. And the Grant writing is important when you have no other means to generate income than by begging, you certainly need multiple skilled ones

 

Really really good ones too, because they have to offset AJ's contributions just to get back to the start position of benign ignorance.

FKT

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

Scumbags. I bet it was Denmark! 

Not likely, they don't have household name products in telecommunications, but the Swedes (Eriksson) and the French (Alcatel, Thompson,....) do 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Really really good ones too, because they have to offset AJ's contributions just to get back to the start position of benign ignorance.

FKT

the irony, is that his head is so far up his ego, that he doesn't comprehend the good advice and constructive criticism above. When you have become personally so obnoxious that you are the message, it's time to get off the stage

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, LionessRacing said:

And the Grant writing is important when you have no other means to generate income than by begging, you certainly need multiple skilled ones

How about if you and @Fah Kiew Tu  both match my grants to the good ol' Golden Rule ?? 

I have the receipts 

BTW, I hope she and her valiant crew make it to San Francisco again - fingers crossed 

The last time she was there she was welcomed as a visiting historical vessel at the  Maritime National Historical Park 

I am very proud to have played a small role in that. 

Some folks appreciate nautical history - even if you do not. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/13/2021 at 10:58 AM, Monkey said:

I’m not sure I like that choice. AJ might be a dick, but it’s not very cool to drag SA shit fights into the real world. That’s a slippery slope. 

You've got it backward: AJ is the one that came on here loudly proclaiming to be a representative of a real-world group. I'm not suggesting doxxing or anything of the sort. I'm suggesting that these guys deserve to know how their group/cause/effort is being represented in a public forum. It's like if someone was a representative of OXFAM and came into a different town bar every night and loudly told everyone "I work for OXFAM, and I'm here for the CHILDREN" and then proceeded to get obnoxiously drunk and berate everyone about not supporting the children, having an ugly hat, politics, etc. Eventually someone would be obligated to tell OXFAM he was making them look bad.
 

On 5/13/2021 at 10:38 AM, AJ Oliver said:

But if you do contact VFP, they will of course ask you for your name, 

which you will be too cowardly to provide. 

It's amazing that even in as limited a medium as writing you can so perfectly convey both the audible tone and the emotional timbre of a real-life Niles Crane.
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Breamerly said:

AJ is the one that came on here loudly proclaiming to be a representative of a real-world group.

I never did that, and you well know it . . 

you lying, steaming sack of merde. 

With that level of mendacity, how can you possibly sleep at night ?? 

SHOW WHERE I WROTE THAT I REPRESENTED THE VFPGR . . 

image.jpeg.ef33612870482473e9c77db6e64668bf.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

I never did that, and you well know it . . 

you lying, steaming sack of merde. 

With that level of mendacity, how can you possibly sleep at night ?? 

SHOW WHERE I WROTE THAT I REPRESENTED THE VFPGR . . 

Well, you started a thread about the boat's progress using the first person (see below), signed at least one post "vets for peace," and you have the boat as your avatar. Plus you also have been posting what appear to be verbatim reports from the boat, without note of any external source - a clear presentation of yourself as having some kind of association and communication with them.

If you're not intentionally putting yourself forward as connected to the group, you're doing one hell of an accidental job of it.
 

On 5/6/2021 at 12:14 PM, AJ Oliver said:

The Golden Rule, famed anti-nuke peace vessel, has put to sea from Hawaii bound for the US West coast. 

The plan is to do the US Great Loop over the next several years. 

We're always looking for more good crew: sailor-photographers/poets & writers/grant writers/ and more.  

(emphasis above is mine, of course)

Also, I just have to laugh -- "you're a steaming sack of merde" - "with that level of mendacity" - "the reich" -- honestly, can you hear yourself, buddy? You need to step away from the laptop. You're digging yourself deeper and deeper, using a shovel made of your own pearl-clutching hysterics. I have basic respect for what your group is doing, and it's from that position that I say this again: You are making them look badThere's no winner here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/7/2021 at 9:50 PM, AJ Oliver said:

And let me just observe how pathetic it is for some sailors here 

to wish ill on others who venture out on the wine dark seas . .  

You could just keep silent, or make a constructive criticism . .  But NOOOOOOOO 

That is what the Reich does, and who they are. 

Vets For Peace 

Hey, look, a post in which you start calling people pathetic and throwing around hitler comparisons (a little surprising from a polysci professor), signed 'vets for peace'. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Breamerly said:

Well, you started a thread about the boat's progress using the first person (see below), 

You are a wanton liar, and you know it. 

I'm a supporter of the project, and a VFP member - nothing more 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

I'm a supporter of the project, and a VFP member - nothing more 

Hm.

On 5/8/2021 at 8:26 PM, AJ Oliver said:

Yeah, call me a bad dude for calling out those who wish ill on those who venture out on risky passages. 

Sir, you are a punk of the lowest order. 

I may not be the most articulate representative of VFP 

Hey neat, one where you literally describe yourself as a representative of VFP.

While calling someone a "punk of the lowest order" (Niles, is that you?)

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/9/2021 at 10:10 AM, AJ Oliver said:

Here is the Vets For Peace advisory board - I'm proud to be a small part of it. 

(Google "Advisory Board - Veterans For Peace) 

Wahey! A post in which you describe yourself as being part of the leadership of the group. "Just a member," you say? One who "never said he represented the group"? Clearly I misunderstood!

I get that this is a cause that is morally unassailable - it's high ground, from which you can take a dump on anyone you want. But - again I am being dead serious here - you sound at best insanely petty (at worst literally insane), and you're doing no favors for your cause. 
 

Link to post
Share on other sites

This country is awash in self righteousness from every angle. Olive Oil's is of a benign sort. He continues to have the passion to engage the unwashed SA masses and no doubt derives pleasure and validation from his effort. Yet another rhetorical amusement.

I hope he offers the political science students at the prestigious institution where he teaches "fair and balanced" perspectives of whatever he subjects them to.

Carry on....as long as the fires burn bright. I'll simply spectate periodically and expend my remaining energies elsewhere. This too shall pass.

Link to post
Share on other sites

AJ always has a way to squirm out of every corner he paints himself into. Reminds me of Charlie Zellenoff. A tie winner every time.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2021 at 8:17 AM, Sail4beer said:

 

Sort of ashamed of watching this whole thing and enjoying it. Gotta love an asshole getting tagged. My fav was the guy who body slammed him out of the ring where he thought he had a free pass to talk shit. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

He has a mental condition that makes him superior to others, a winner and invincible...even when he loses hard.

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

He has a mental condition that makes him superior to others, a winner and invincible...even when he loses hard.

Reminds me of the OP of this thread.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Another update . . 

Golden Rule is now 987 nautical miles (1148 miles) north of Hawaii and 1559 nautical miles (1813 miles) west of San Francisco.  If they could sail directly east, they would be 39% of the way there.  They’ve been sailing across the ocean since 19:30 Pacific time on May 4 (11.5 days).  They should, therefore, arrive in San Francisco Bay between May 31 and June 4.

 Report from Captain Kiko:

It’s time for Golden Rule to turn east, as we’ve reached the 38th parallel!  The wind shifted to come from the NNE, making going east very easy.  We’re expecting a shift and the wind will come from the south soon.

 It’s been raining since midnight, so it's a bit uncomfortable. 

The wind will be very strong on Wednesday for about 12 hours.

The rain seemed to affect the Satellite phone reception.  The conversation with Leroy was not very good, but the conversation with me was satisfactory.

 I informed the crew that the InReach tracker (share.garmin.com/goldenrule) needs to be restarted (it does turn itself off sometimes - I suspect the rain caused a temporary break in communication with the satellites).  I have two other ways to see where the boat is, so got a good fix on them this morning.

We have confirmation that the Personal Locator Beacon (PLB) that we recently purchased works and is set up properly.  Captain Kiko accidently banged his life jacket on the mizzen boom and the PLB emergency button was pressed.  I got a call from the coast guard in Honolulu.  Kiko and Nolan successfully reset the beacon.  All was soon back to normal and we thanked Coast Guard Petty Officer Lewis profusely for his response.  Mr. Lewis said they handle about one of these false alarms per day.  Note - all of the life jackets have either an Automated Identification System (AIS) or a Personal Locator Beacon (EPIRB) that can call for help in case someone goes overboard.  The boat itself has one of each, all 4 of the VHF radios and both InReach trackers have emergency buttons, too!  We have 12 ways to call for help in an emergency in addition to VHF radios and flares.

 Comments from supporters:

Ray Cage: Last night I was imaging how small the Golden Rule is, sailing along in the Pacific Ocean. A toothpick in a bathtub.

Love to the crew.

 Cara & Alice and all of Veterans For Peace Tucson, Chapter 13: 

Hi Golden Rule Staff and Support team,

 You are in our hearts.  From a fuel mixture problem & repair, to the flooding of the compartment to the upbeat assurance that all is going well health wise for everyone - what an adventure.  Sharing “while glad to be on land”, a large part of me vicariously living in your moments grateful for your safety wishes to be part of the Golden Rule Crew (absolutely no experience however. ;). ).   (Note from Helen - waves hit the deck and footwell all the time - the water just goes out the holes, so in less than a minute the footwell didn't have water in it.)

 Zoe Byrd:

So many are sending love, blessings and appreciation to the current crew of historic S/V Golden Rule as she crosses the vast Pacific.  You four resolute sailors are in my thoughts daily as I watch your progress riding those seemingly endless crests and troughs.  We supporters are with you in spirit and envirion, with intention, your safe voyage.  You are key partners in “Goldie’s” long-standing mission.

 Thank you Kiko, Malinda, Michelle and Nolan, for your deep service to the cause of a peaceful world free of nuclear weapons, and for guiding Golden Rule into the rising sun after her second voyage to Hawaii (on her attempts to reach the Marshall Islands.)  Enjoy the adventure, I’m sure you are, and Goldie too!

Link to post
Share on other sites

In this photo you can observe sailors of the US Navy 

saluting the Golden Rule - at SD Fleet Week several years back. 

Thanks swabbies !!  

image.jpeg.8a9191e1021c1122ce1cba52b1d67999.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AJ Oliver said:

In this photo you can observe sailors of the US Navy 

saluting the Golden Rule - at SD Fleet Week several years back. 

Thanks swabbies !!  

image.jpeg.8a9191e1021c1122ce1cba52b1d67999.jpeg

Of course they could be yelling, "Show us yer tits!"

Link to post
Share on other sites

Or they were saluting everyone who went by and a boatload of whack jobs got a photo op.

We will know they are serious when they start protesting Russia, China, NORK's, Iran, etc.

We all know that isn't going to happen.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, sailpower said:

We will know they are serious when they start protesting Russia, China, NORK's, Iran, etc.

I'll try to be civil here  . . . 

Of course VFP challenges all nukes, 

but it is the US that has the primary responsibility for nuke abolition for having introduced and used nukes on 

human beans. 

Your Meme is an old fashioned right wing talking point, and there is a whole lot of anti-nuke history of which you 

are willfully and blissfully unaware. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DtM said:

So, do you or do you not speak for VFP.  Stop dodging.

Only as a loyal member . . 

What was so wrong about my post ?  

I answered your "question", now you answer mine . . . 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AJ Oliver said:

I'll try to be civil here  . . . 

Of course VFP challenges all nukes, 

but it is the US that has the primary responsibility for nuke abolition for having introduced and used nukes on 

human beans. 

Your Meme is an old fashioned right wing talking point, and there is a whole lot of anti-nuke history of which you 

are willfully and blissfully unaware. 

Unaware?

Spare me.

In 1961 I attended ninth grade in Holy Loch Scotland because Dad had just arrived on the SSBN submarine tender, USS Proteus to support the new USA SSBN patrols in the North Atlantic.

Hundreds of unwashed, bearded useful idiots showed up and attempted to board the submarine alongside.

They were promptly washed overboard with fire hoses and were told they would be shot if they climbed back on board.

They didn't.

Since 1945 no nation has launched a nuclear weapon in anger because of the policy of Mutually Assured Destruction (MAD). Corrupt politicians and ambitious world leaders know with certainty that they will be destroyed if they launch first.

The same group has stupidly created a few close calls but the absolute knowledge of the outcome has deterred them.

In late 1965 I entered the USN and the SSBN world.

On my boat I can say with certainty that we would have launched on receipt of a lawful order from POTUS. We never did because Russia knew with certainty that we would have launched on receipt of a lawful order from POTUS.

Deterrence works.

Nuclear power is here to stay.

A bunch of fools, well meaning as they may be, on a free boat ride will not change that.

BTW, I hear that Toyota is coming out with a Uranium powered Prius.

That will certainly create a dilemma in the alternate universe that you inhabit.

Yes, I am mocking you.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

are willfully and blissfully unaware

Errr.....isn't that an oxymoron? Willful infers an intent, blissful infers an ignorance. 

Mr Member/Advisor/Advocate/Spokesperson/No Relation/MyDogDidIt sir.

Hey...that's another oxymoron! 

They're like rabbits in this thread, randy little fuckers popping up everywhere.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, shaggybaxter said:

Errr.....isn't that an oxymoron? Willful infers an intent, blissful infers an ignorance. 

Mr Member/Advisor/Advocate/Spokesperson/No Relation/MyDogDidIt sir.

Hey...that's another oxymoron! 

They're like rabbits in this thread, randy little fuckers popping up everywhere.  

Those oxys breed fast. There's just one actual moron here. He's the one who's been yelling into the abyss from Christ-powered podunk "university" in Tifflin, OH. The "university" has 53 graduate students, in a tiny town losing population by the census, and likely down to 17,000 mostly white souls. It has a mall, though. Two, really, but one is listed as a 'dead' mall. But trying to be civil here.

And this guy knows more than we do about nooks, and the world?

Sure Jan. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, sailpower said:

They were promptly washed overboard with fire hoses and were told they would be shot if they climbed back on board.

I wish they had succeeded . . . 

You need to try to grasp that MAD requires a certain rationality among leaders . . 

Do you seriously trust the Drumph (or Kim) to be rational when it comes to nukes? 

As McNamara and others have noted - the combination of human frailty and nukes is deadly  . . 

https://ips-dc.org/more_lucky_than_brilliant

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

Those oxys breed fast. There's just one actual moron here. He's the one who's been yelling into the abyss from Christ-powered podunk "university" in Tifflin, OH. The "university" has 53 graduate students, in a tiny town losing population by the census, and likely down to 17,000 mostly white souls. It has a mall, though. Two, really, but one is listed as a 'dead' mall. But trying to be civil here.

No, you are not trying to be civil at all. 

Are you going to contact them and complain (like Sail4Beer did above) ?? 

It would not surprise me at all. 

Stalker and a coward you are. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

I wish they had succeeded . . . 

You need to try to grasp that MAD requires a certain rationality among leaders . . 

Do you seriously trust the Drumph (or Kim) to be rational when it comes to nukes? 

As McNamara and others have noted - the combination of human frailty and nukes is deadly  . . 

https://ips-dc.org/more_lucky_than_brilliant

 

 

You keep telling me how I need to think.

If I took that advice I would be you.

No thanks.

Who is Drumph and why would Kim Kardashian have a nuke?

Robert McNamara never saw a war that he didn't want us in.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/9/2021 at 11:54 AM, Monkey said:

That is EXACTLY why I put that lunatic on ignore. He’s more than welcome to go outside and yell at the clouds, but his Reich bullshit shoved him on to the ignore list. I don’t really care about his freeloading friends. 

I don't know why EVERYONE does not have this asshole on ignore

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/13/2021 at 10:58 AM, Monkey said:

I’m not sure I like that choice. AJ might be a dick, but it’s not very cool to drag SA shit fights into the real world. That’s a slippery slope. 

I politely & respectfully disagree with that; sailing related vendors, sailors  or et al who get critiqued here should be made aware of the negative publicity so they can respond or at least take actions to mitigate the damage.

Remember the Doyle Sails thread, the thread which suggested foul play at the M24 regatta and others? How many false accusations of cheating (such as Dr. Laura not rounding a mark) or dishonesty have we seen? Guaranteed they all took advantage of being notified so they could respond or at least takes actions to mitigate the damage.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't overlook Arnold's cite above. He wrote it. He and Robert McNamara, I guess. Kissinger edited it, and Jimmy Carter AND the fucking Pope gave it their imprimater. 

Wot I don't get is how AJ thinks anyone can reason with Kim. Or any of the honchos. MAD is the best chance we have, tho I wouldn't mind a stealth hit on Kim. Not his sister tho. I think she's semi-hot. I likes me some strong women.

But someone needs to splain how this silly voyage helps the situation. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Parma said:

I don't know why EVERYONE does not have this asshole on ignore

Please, please put me on ignore. 

Several of ya act as though you hold advanced degrees in ad hominem studies, 

anything but grapple with the sources provided - such as the Bulletin of Atomic Scientists, and etc.. 

You lack the knowledge to do that, so you just attack the messenger(s). 

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Parma said:

I politely & respectfully disagree with that; sailing related vendors, sailors  or et al who get critiqued here should be made aware of the negative publicity so they can respond or at least take actions to mitigate the damage.

Remember the Doyle Sails thread, the thread which suggested foul play at the M24 regatta and others? How many false accusations of cheating (such as Dr. Laura not rounding a mark) or dishonesty have we seen? Guaranteed they all took advantage of being notified so they could respond or at least takes actions to mitigate the damage.

Although he appears to be working up another head of self-righteous steam, he appears to have toned it down a bit from his pearl-clutching frenzy a la "I denounce you as a coward, you steaming sack of merde! THOU HAST BESMIRCHED THE COURAGE OF THOSE WHO VENTURE OUT UPON THE WINE-DARK SEAS AND I FOR ONE WILL NOT STAND FOR IT, SIR!"

If he gets back to calling people Hitler, or otherwise posting more objectively insane shit, I can see it. Until then it's going to be a [shrug] from me, Bob.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

anything but grapple with the sources provided - such as the Bulletin of Atomic Scientists, and etc.. 

You lack the knowledge to do that, so you just attack the messenger(s). 

Ah yes, the noble messenger of peace, AJ.

Again pal, you're the one calling people 'reichistas' (lol) and stuff like that. Ironically, given your stated cause, in every case here you have been the one retaliating here, causing things to escalate into name calling (the forum equivalent of MAD). The fact that you appear to be unaware of this - entirely blinded by your own sanctimony - is shocking and, again, makes you look insane and makes your organization look like shit. And don't give me any of that 'i am but a humble member,' bullshit, either - I provided sources disproving exactly that claim of yours and you just went silent.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites