News: Vets For Peace historic vessel departs Hawaii

6 minutes ago, DtM said:

The high point of AJ's argument.  He knows how to spell Trump's old family surname.

Sailpower claimed to not know who or what the Drumpf(h) is or was . . 

The point being made was that the Drum___ finger on the nuke trigger pretty much proves that deterrence is a myth, and we're lucky to still be alive. 

Care to weigh in on that ?? 

(I'm not claiming that Bibi, Vlad, or Kim are any more rational - maybe even less !!) 

image.jpeg.1b7abe86278c2c64e6470371ad653a88.jpeg

• Replies 823
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Errr...one small problem. There is not one post wishing ill on the crew.    Why is that oh erudite one ? In my world,. when you act like a dick your mates will give you a nudge. In case yo

I am sad to hear about your health issues ED, hope you are doing ok.  The above is exactly why I have no time for AJ. When the observation is more applicable to the defence, I think you've answer

As I think this over, it occurs that US politics are needlessly complex. In a nutshell, you either lap up AJ's drool and spittle, or ... you're a Nazi. Simple stuff really. 

Posted Images

Gee it must have been great to be in one of your sky fairy political science classes. The lessons one could have learned.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, AJ Oliver said:

So you think the world was safer with a demonstrable loonie with his finger on the button for FOUR YEARS ? 

And now you are OK with dementia ?? 

Boy, you really must love those nukes a whole lot !! 

Trump didn't nuke anyone and he is gone.

Joe Biden is a demented fool whom you don't call out and you ignore that and project back on me?

???

26 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

Sailpower claimed to not know who or what the Drumpf(h) is or was . . 

The point being made was that the Drum___ finger on the nuke trigger pretty much proves that deterrence is a myth, and we're lucky to still be alive. 

Care to weigh in on that ?? 

(I'm not claiming that Bibi, Vlad, or Kim are any more rational - maybe even less !!) 

Deterence is a myth because Trump didn't pull that nuclear trigger?

Are you good with Biden now having his finger on it?

5 hours ago, sailpower said:

Well, my point was in response to AJ's concerns about Trump having had nuclear authority.

Trump is gone and we now have Biden.

In the narrow context that is this thread, do you feel better than you did now that we have an obviously dementia afflicted POTUS with that same authority?

Not looking to debate political preferences.

That ship has sailed.

Yes.

And that's granting you the assertion without evidence that Biden actually *is* affected by dementia.

At least Biden isn't vindictive and even with dementia - not proven - he'd still be more functional than Trump. Hell, a pet rock would be a better choice than Trump for any position involving decision-making.

FKT

• Like 2
6 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

That is step one. Check.

Step two is 'splaining how this "historic" vessel and voyage into the bowels of the country makes a shred of difference. 

I still want to know about Captain Rogers.  Does he exist? Can you please help us Prof AJ?

11 hours ago, sailpower said:

Deterence is a myth because Trump didn't pull that nuclear trigger?

Are you good with Biden now having his finger on it?

You keep wanting to make this a partisan issue - it is not. 

As Bob McNamara wrote, the perfect information and rationality required to manage nukes is beyond the capacity of ANY human being or organization.  See the Fog of War. 

Vets For Peace accepts that argument, and has protested military policies of both Dems and GOPPERS - myself included. Numbers of us went to jail for protesting Obama's drone wars. 

And of course, it's not just a USA issue either. My own view is that Pakistan and (a bit less so) India and Israel are good illustrations of the fallibility of deterrence theory. 

Ethnic nationalists and/or religious extremists in charge of nukes - what could possibly go wrong ?? 

Vets For Peace and the Golden Rule Project do not distinguish between good nukes and bad nukes - there is no such thing. They are all bad. 

5 hours ago, DtM said:

I still want to know about Captain Rogers.  Does he exist? Can you please help us Prof AJ?

Here I go again, doing your homework for you. 

I'm a soft touch. 

Vets For Peace is a part of the Seattle area anti-nuke coalition. I do not know if Rogers is a VFP member. 

https://www.seattletimes.com/pacific-nw-magazine/peace-activists-are-aging-but-all-those-nuclear-weapons-right-over-there-are-just-as-threatening-as-ever/

Rogers, a retired Navy attack-class submarine commander turned peace activist, recently spoke to a Port Orchard service club luncheon where the membership consisted largely of local business types. They really wanted to know: Could the president, who seems prone to self-destructive behavior and fits of anger, really order a nuclear strike all by himself? And if so, would it be carried out?

Yes, and yes, Rogers replied, noting that the chain of command for launches is terrifyingly short, due to the Cold War need for a swift response to a possible first strike by the former Soviet Union.

The only real “check” on the president’s ability to spark nuclear Armageddon is a single military officer on post 24/7 at the National Military Command Center, Rogers says. “His function is to immediately relay that (launch) message to all the launchers. Is he going do that? You bet your ass he’s going to do that.”

That, coupled with Trump’s “seemingly cavalier attitude toward the use of nuclear weapons,” has people scared, Rogers says — and it should. “The whole system is a Cold War relic,” he adds. “It’s obsolete. It’s not the way we fight wars anymore.”

And that, he says, is what keeps him devoting his golden years to hitting the streets with a sign. He believes that his grandchildren shouldn’t have to grow up with the looming threat of annihilation from nuclear weapons.

“You have a worldwide system of opposing nuclear-weapons systems that eventually will destroy civilization if someone screws up,” Rogers says. “Why would you keep that system? It places too much power in too few hands. It’s inherently evil.”

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

Step two is 'splaining how this "historic" vessel and voyage into the bowels of the country makes a shred of difference. 

You're kind of a Debbie Downer, doncha think? 

Many of us, millions actually from around the planet, have decided to not give up. 

The way I sometimes put it is, "We owe it to our grandkids to try." 

But you OTOH have not only given up, you do what you can to make others give up as well. 

Does that make you feel good somehow ?? 

Hmmmn, WTF AJ, as I said many pages ago me thinks this shit is a bit self righteous.  Give it a fucking rest.  On to actual sailing stuff for me.  You have no idea the political leanings of fellow anarchists and throwing around reich references is ridiculous.

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, zenmasterfred said:

Hmmmn, WTF AJ, as I said many pages ago me thinks this shit is a bit self righteous.

What makes you click on this thread ??  No one is forcing you. 

FYI, I will continue to post updates on the voyage until the GR is safely in port. 

There seems to be some around here who really want to "cancel" the culture of we anti-warriors. 

Not gonna happen. No siree. Nope. No way. 

2 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

You keep wanting to make this a partisan issue - it is not. 

Yet you call people reichistas, Trumptards,Drumf supporters...and worse are your ad hominem attacks on the other posters on this thread.  

I checked out their website. They are good natured retired military veterans and allies working towards a common goal of promoting peace and awareness of the evils of nuclear power. 

2 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

There seems to be some around here who really want to "cancel" the culture of we anti-warriors. 

Oh FFS, you really think people are out to 'cancel' you? 

The sense of self importance is rather breathtaking. Get a grip man, Its a bunch of guys sailing some old wooden boat around a stretch of water waving placards.

Anti-Warriors?

Are you some sort of God bothering zealot by any chance? This reeks of religious fervour, it's as bizarre as it is off putting. 

• Like 4
8 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

You're kind of a Debbie Downer, doncha think? 

Many of us, millions actually from around the planet, have decided to not give up. 

The way I sometimes put it is, "We owe it to our grandkids to try." 

But you OTOH have not only given up, you do what you can to make others give up as well. 

Does that make you feel good somehow ?? 

I'm a pragmatist Ollie. You are a bloviating self-important fool on a fool's errand. And 50 years too late. 

Keep sailing Cap and enjoy your dotage. Your 15 minutes are up.

• Like 1

Golden Rule is now 1468 nautical miles (1701 miles) from San Francisco and 1010 nautical miles (1175 miles) from Honolulu, or approximately 41% of the way there.

Yesterday, 5/17 we received two reports -

7 am: We’re going ESE at 2 kt. We had a lovely sail under the stars last night - a relief from the miserable drizzle the night before last. We’ll drop the jib and motor ENE today.
8:30 pm: It’s really calm and our weather forecast shows it will continue to be so for another 2 days. We will sail slowly until the wind picks up. This will give the crew a break and conserve fuel. We’ll put the last of our jerry cans in the tank while it’s calm weather.

Today, 5/18, 7:30 am
The wind should pick up tonight and they will head straight east, as fast as the wind will take them in order to avoid the next high pressure (no wind) system.

Messages from supporters:
Yolanda Gottardi: I’m not always responding but im waching what’s coming in and I fully support, form the bottom of my heart and believes the mission of the Persons how steer the sailingboat.
Michael Hall: Thanks-We are there in spirit…
Bill Eastwood: I'm thrilled with how well the voyage has gone so far. Good crew sailing a great boat. Everyone might want to take a look at the world wind map at https://earth.nullschool.net/ It shows clearly why its a sleigh ride to Hawaii and more of a slog on the way back, having to go north to find better winds.
Maui Peace Action / Chuck Carlotta and Mele Stokesberry: Mahalo, Helen, for your updates. It's GOOD to know all those redundant safety systems are in place. Fair sailing to the crew!
Mele and Chuck
Susan Schiele: This is so impressive! It gives me a lump in my throat because I am so touched.
Maggie Hallahan: I am so thrilled they are turning east.
I am definitely going to be in SF/Suasalito when they come in.
Maggie is helping with hosting the crew, finding a dock (perhaps at the National Maritime Museum / Hyde Street Pier), and an indigenous welcome ceremony.
Scott Tice: I'm celebrating the turn east as I'm sure all of you are. I have enough sailing experience to know, when the captain says "conditions are uncomfortable" others might think it's quite miserable. I'll be sending good vibrations for fair winds, weather and following seas.
Betty Bender: Prayers for safety and rest periods for the crew. My heart just races reading about your voyage. Be brave, be strong, you have many prayers supporting you.
9 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

I checked out their website. They are good natured retired military veterans and allies working towards a common goal of promoting peace and awareness of the evils of nuclear power. 

Thanks for the civil words . .  

but I should tell you that a good many of Vets For Peace members are less restrained than I am - 

especially those ex-swabbies !! 

So, are they on the ocean moving in the expected direction or something else? At least rimus didn't bore us with endless pontifications on globally important subjects. He didn't go in any particular direction and had almost nothing to say about it.

22 minutes ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

So, are they on the ocean moving in the expected direction or something else? At least rimus didn't bore us with endless pontifications on globally important subjects. He didn't go in any particular direction and had almost nothing to say about it.

So why do you read the posts with such rapt attention ?? 

Somehow I think we could get by without your presence. 

But yeah, some of the posts above (not the ones about me - I don't care) 

remind me of the cruelty some of ya directed at poor Rimus. 

I hope he abides, with fair winds and following seas. 

• Like 1

1500 miles to go & putting "the last of our jerry cans in the tank while it’s calm weather."

Hmmmm,  this could take a while.

9 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

sorry, AJ, I was pulling your chain a bit there

I truly just wanted to know how they were doing.

9 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

I have not read more than three of four posts in this thread. Enough to know its stinking up the first page of the sailing forum and likely belongs in PA on a % of post content basis. :)

3 hours ago, TUBBY said:

1500 miles to go & putting "the last of our jerry cans in the tank while it’s calm weather."

Hmmmm,  this could take a while.

Right, that is how long passages work on small vessels. 

No way can one carry enough fuel to motor all the way. 

It would weigh too much. 

On 5/13/2021 at 7:14 AM, 00seven said:

Belongs in the ugly boat thread

The Golden Rule was designed and (mostly) built in San Pedro, Cali 

by Angelman & Davies, noted sailboat designers and builders. 

The larger version of the GR Alpha 30 model, the Sea Witch 

won the Transpac twice on corrected time. 

Lots of us think that the GR is beautiful; if you put your hand on her hull, she talks to you. 

http://heritech.com/seawitch/swplans.htm

On 5/17/2021 at 7:00 PM, Fah Kiew Tu said:

And just for AJ, I've provided references.

Thanks, I read both of those articles - they are pretty good. 

But they do not share your fatalism about nuke weapons control or proliferation. 

This proposal might have merit . . (from the World Nuclear Assoc. article) 

Following proposals from the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) and Russia, and in connection with the US-led Global Nuclear Energy Partnership (GNEP), there are moves to establish international uranium enrichment centres. These are one kind of multilateral nuclear approaches (MNA) called for by IAEA. Part of the motivation for international centres is to bring all new enrichment capacity, and perhaps eventually all enrichment, under international control as a non-proliferation measure.

The second article, from ABC News, is a good summary of the current stand-off. 

But again, it disagrees with several of your assertions. It states, for example, that Iran is not close to 

having nuclear weapons, and likely has no intention to do so. And it blames Trump for blowing up the Iran

nuke deal, which had been working. 

The article I cited about Israeli public opinion is of concern. In my view, Israeli ethno-centrism may be so 

powerful as to remove public opinion as one bulwark against the use of nukes.  

Today's update from the Golden Rule 

5/19/21

Golden Rule is 1370 nautical miles (1594 miles) away from San Francisco.  We still expect their arrival on approximately June 2, give or take a couple of days.

Captain Kiko report:

They sailed fast all night and on course, headed E.  The weather is expected to hold, although the wind will shift a bit tomorrow, and we’ll turn a bit to ESE.  Leroy and Eric say we can go as low as latitude 36 if we need to, but it’s important to continue to go fast.  We have the main, mizzen and Genoa sails up right now, but when the wind picks up tomorrow we’ll reef down the mainsail, take down the mizzen and replace the Genoa with a jib sail.

Everything has been double checked.  We have enough food, water and diesel for the rest of the trip, including food that doesn’t need to be cooked.

“It’s exhilarating to fly along like this, over 6 knots (7 mph), with no spray!”

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Essex said:

So how are they planning to get the boat east for the great loop ?

They are looking at many options . . what do you suggest ?  

Can we borrow your trailer ?  (humor alert) 

7 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

Always pleasant to follow along on a Golden voyage. My first long trip was with Drake on the Golden Hinde.

Well, sorta true dat . . 

for fundraising, up to now the GR has come up rather short in the

pillage and plunder metrics 

Another Update - I'm half tempted to fly out there and join the welcoming party 

That Longfellow gent could craft words !! 

Golden Rule has 1300 miles to go - they went 165 miles in one day!  WOW!

Captain Kiko report:

We went more than 7 knots most of the time last night, due east.  We’re now going to go ENE to skirt north of a high pressure (no wind) system to our east.

The conditions are difficult and it’s pretty cold.  But we’re gamely persevering.

It’s difficult to get enough sleep.  They have 2 people on watch at all times, doing shifts of 4 hours on, 4 hours off.  If it’s cold, the two on watch take turns going below to get warm.

Kiko uses the stars and planets for navigation on his night watches, but now that they’re further east, it’s getting light at 3 am.    So they’re changing their clocks ahead one hour at noon tomorrow.  That will help them avoid it getting light at 1 am by the time they reach San Francisco.

Kanoe reports that she and Nolan are in jeopardy of getting dreadlocks.  

Nolan:

Everything is good.  Pretty worn out.  I think we'll have enough propane, and we're still making one pot of coffee and one hot meal a day.

Comments from supporters:

Helen:

THANK YOU, crew, for hanging in there on a difficult, uncomfortable, cold, rolly crossing. I think it's hard to know what you're getting in for until you do it, and every trip is a little different - but this direction is more difficult and longer than the other direction.  We are all eternally grateful that you all are bringing Goldie back home!!

Susan Schiele: WOW!!!!  Epic! 

Stan Levin:

Thou, too, sail on, O Ship of State!
Sail on, O Union, strong and great!
Humanity with all its fears,
With all the hopes of future years,
Is hanging breathless on thy fate!
We know what Master laid thy keel,
What Workmen wrought thy ribs of steel,
Who made each mast, and sail, and rope,
What anvils rang, what hammers beat,
In what a forge and what a heat
Were shaped the anchors of thy hope!
Fear not each sudden sound and shock,
'Tis of the wave and not the rock;
'Tis but the flapping of the sail,
And not a rent made by the gale!
In spite of rock and tempest's roar,
In spite of false lights on the shore,
Sail on, nor fear to breast the sea!
Our hearts, our hopes, are all with thee.
Our hearts, our hopes, our prayers, our tears,
Our faith triumphant o'er our fears,
Are all with thee, -are all with thee!

H.W. Longfellow

Koohan Paik-Mander:

Thank you for reaching out to the Maritime Museum. I didn't realilze that was at Hyde Street Pier. That would be a terrific place to dock upon arrival. And it's right next to the Buena Vista. I wonder if we could book space there for a party?

Very exciting! Thanks for all your great organizing!

Norman de Vall:

As before my boat is close to the GGB for picture taking.

I might have crew for that day and should have one other

crew on board plus the photographer.

Helder Parreira:

Thank you again for sending out these daily updates!

Can the crew read the messages too?

Also, yes, i would like to participate in any Golden Rule welcome committee.  What are the current plans and where?  Any specific people to get in touch with to find out more?

Cynthia Massa:

Aloha Captains and Crew of the Golden RULE! Maika'i! You are now in a perfect position to FLY to San Francisco for 1000+ Miles! Im so thankful to get the news of your Voyage daily. May you have exactly the winds you need to get you there fast and safe. IMUA To YOU and to Goldie too ~Love You Sis Malinda!  Malama Pono, Cynthia

I'm soooo stoked !! 

Golden Rule is now only 847 nm (985 miles) to go.  They went 139 nm (162 miles) yesterday.

If they don’t slow down, they will arrive in just 6 days, on May 29!

We had considered a Welcome ceremony on June 5 or 6, but most of the crew may be gone by then.  We’ll keep you posted.

Captain Kiko report on 5/22:

The chart plotter is likely to change time zones automatically, which will make it difficult to keep our Hawaii-time-based watch changes.  The crew really wants to stay on the same schedule, because losing an hour of sleep is really hard on them.  Kiko calls Leroy at 4 am Hawaii time (7 am Pacific), right after he goes off of night shift.

We’re making great progress at 5-6 knots going ENE per instructions from Leroy.

The fuel filters are clogged again, so we’ll clean them again today.

We’re looking at 7 - 10 days before we arrive in San Francisco.  The conditions are difficult and uncomfortable, so we’re glad we’ll be there soon.

Captain Kiko report on 5/23:

Time zone issues are becoming more pronounced.  The chart plotter did change time zones, so the call to Leroy would be at 5 am (mid-Pacific time), an hour into Kiko’s sleep time if they alter their watch shifts.  Kiko left me messages at 6 and 7 am, although I was expecting a call at 8 am.  

We’re moving along well at around 6 knots (7 mph).  The engine is working again, so we’re charging the batteries.  The chart plotter says we have 840 nautical miles to go (976 miles).  We’re now going east as fast as we can (per instructions from Leroy) so that we will miss a calm spot.  It looks like the wind near the coast is starting to subside from the too-strong winds that we’ve been seeing there.

The crew’s top priorities upon arrival are showers, laundry, and some uninterrupted sleep.  Maggie Hallahan has offered sleep on her boat.  We’ll make sure to come in where there are showers and will take care of the laundry while the crew sleeps.

We can have a brief greeting before whisking the crew off to their beds.  The welcome ceremony, where the press and most of the supporters will greet the crew, will probably happen the next day.

Nolan cleaned the filters again and Malinda and Kanoelehua (Michelle) fixed a throttle issue.  The engine is running fine now and they’re charging their batteries.

Messages from Supporters:

Cynthia Massa: Aloha to YOU ALL! YOU ARE Flying and may the weather warm up too for you all so night watches arent so cold. I send You all so much love and respect for making this very difficult crossing NORTH to Home for the Golden Rule! Mahalo and Stay warm and dry. Love to You All & Malama Pono, Cynthia

Cara Bissell: The Golden Rule, I am reminded, is a pretty small ship in a very large sea!!!!  May all go according to plan with redundant fixes, . . .  at a minimum.

On 5/11/2021 at 8:29 AM, Sail4beer said:

I figured that since they are doing nothing but bobbing for a few days, they can fire up the satellite line and get in touch with their shoreside representative, AJ

So when you contacted that little vessel, bobbing out there on that Blue Water , , 

and advised them that one of their supporters was an awful person . . 

(without any specificity as to WHY that person was awful) 

how did they respond ? 

Something like, "We'll get right on it!!" ?? 

You are way below the threshold of contemptible. 

And I really cannot believe the mods did not consider your act as a flickable offense. 

I'm soooo stoked !! 

Golden Rule is now only 847 nm (985 miles) to go.  They went 139 nm (162 miles) yesterday.

If they don’t slow down, they will arrive in just 6 days, on May 29!

We had considered a Welcome ceremony on June 5 or 6, but most of the crew may be gone by then.  We’ll keep you posted.

Captain Kiko report on 5/22:

The chart plotter is likely to change time zones automatically, which will make it difficult to keep our Hawaii-time-based watch changes.  The crew really wants to stay on the same schedule, because losing an hour of sleep is really hard on them.  Kiko calls Leroy at 4 am Hawaii time (7 am Pacific), right after he goes off of night shift.

We’re making great progress at 5-6 knots going ENE per instructions from Leroy.

The fuel filters are clogged again, so we’ll clean them again today.

We’re looking at 7 - 10 days before we arrive in San Francisco.  The conditions are difficult and uncomfortable, so we’re glad we’ll be there soon.

Captain Kiko report on 5/23:

Time zone issues are becoming more pronounced.  The chart plotter did change time zones, so the call to Leroy would be at 5 am (mid-Pacific time), an hour into Kiko’s sleep time if they alter their watch shifts.  Kiko left me messages at 6 and 7 am, although I was expecting a call at 8 am.  

We’re moving along well at around 6 knots (7 mph).  The engine is working again, so we’re charging the batteries.  The chart plotter says we have 840 nautical miles to go (976 miles).  We’re now going east as fast as we can (per instructions from Leroy) so that we will miss a calm spot.  It looks like the wind near the coast is starting to subside from the too-strong winds that we’ve been seeing there.

The crew’s top priorities upon arrival are showers, laundry, and some uninterrupted sleep.  Maggie Hallahan has offered sleep on her boat.  We’ll make sure to come in where there are showers and will take care of the laundry while the crew sleeps.

We can have a brief greeting before whisking the crew off to their beds.  The welcome ceremony, where the press and most of the supporters will greet the crew, will probably happen the next day.

Nolan cleaned the filters again and Malinda and Kanoelehua (Michelle) fixed a throttle issue.  The engine is running fine now and they’re charging their batteries.

Messages from Supporters:

Cynthia Massa: Aloha to YOU ALL! YOU ARE Flying and may the weather warm up too for you all so night watches arent so cold. I send You all so much love and respect for making this very difficult crossing NORTH to Home for the Golden Rule! Mahalo and Stay warm and dry. Love to You All & Malama Pono, Cynthia

Cara Bissell: The Golden Rule, I am reminded, is a pretty small ship in a very large sea!!!!  May all go according to plan with redundant fixes, . . .  at a minimum.

So they are just days away from chaining themselves to a nuclear reactor to show their futile objection to nuclear power?

They must be giddy with anticipation.

So when you contacted that little vessel, bobbing out there on that Blue Water , , 

and advised them that one of their supporters was an awful person . . 

(without any specificity as to WHY that person was awful) 

how did they respond ? 

Something like, "We'll get right on it!!" ?? 

You are way below the threshold of contemptible. 

And I really cannot believe the mods did not consider your act as a flickable offense. 

AJ, that was weeks ago and we have been through this. The mods didn’t flick me and I sent an email to the vessel with my real name. I’m sorry if you forgot that. 

Remember that you were out sailing for 6 days last week while the poor unwashed, underprivileged masses were seeking a better future free of the elite whites who spend their time sailing about on their yachts pontificating against capitalism...yep. 

So the dirty old timber shitter is still plonking away. Must be a lot of motoring if they've clogged the fuel filters again. That or poor maintenance.

Hey AJ, fuck you and the ship you didn’t sail on. 

Is that more civil than my post from a few days ago you responded to? 

Let’s not read too deeply into the ranting of a tenured college professor who receives his monthly pension to supplement his extravagant lifestyle of sailing and other white elitist activities while literally hundreds of thousands of his fellow Ohioans try to figure out a way to provide food and shelter for their own families. I bet some of his fellow state’sfolk would take the shitty ride on the old boat if they were guaranteed food along the way.

Mahalo!

2 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

Let’s not read too deeply into the ranting of a tenured college professor who receives his monthly pension to supplement his extravagant lifestyle of sailing and other white elitist activities while literally hundreds of thousands of his fellow Ohioans try to figure out a way to provide food and shelter for their own families. I bet some of his fellow state’sfolk would take the shitty ride on the old boat if they were guaranteed food along the way.

Mahalo!

I've heard he doesn't even tip the snowplow guy at Christmas!

Let’s not read too deeply into the ranting of a tenured college professor who receives his monthly pension to supplement his extravagant lifestyle of sailing

Not relevant to the thread, but I have been retired for 15 years now; and in this area we are really fortunate that sailing is available to average people. For at 26 foot boat it's about $ 3,000 grand a year. Our club is non-profit on purpose. I am a past Commodore. 

How the nuclear weapons industrial complex steals your money while endangering your life . . 

(I do not entirely agree with this article, in case you wondered) 

https://thebulletin.org/2021/05/500000000000-reasons-to-scrutinize-the-us-plan-for-nuclear-weapons/?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=WeekdayNewsletter&utm_content=ThursdayNuclear_Article_05212021

This is what the Golden Rule looked like when Vets For Peace took ownership in 2010. She had been badly neglected and finally sank in a storm on Humboldt Bay, NorCal. Hauling her up on the beach did a lot of damage, but there was no way around it. 

1696975499_098(1).JPG

Fuck, Ollie, you were doing so well for a moment or so but ya just gotta jehovah's witness us with this political stuff.

43 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

How the nuclear weapons industrial complex steals your money while endangering your life . . 

(I do not entirely agree with this article, in case you wondered) 

https://thebulletin.org/2021/05/500000000000-reasons-to-scrutinize-the-us-plan-for-nuclear-weapons/?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=WeekdayNewsletter&utm_content=ThursdayNuclear_Article_05212021

Hey, I'd bet no one wondered if you agree with stuff. You're like a junkie, cap. 

2 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

Fuck, Ollie, you were doing so well for a moment or so but ya just gotta jehovah's witness us with this political stuff.

Go troll and cyber-stalk your own pathetic bullying self. 

And BTW, everything is political. 

44 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

Go troll and cyber-stalk your own pathetic bullying self. 

And BTW, everything is political. 

This site tries to keep it separate. You'd know that if you could get your head out of your butt.

I’m here for the negative interactions, not reading articles that you find interesting or persuasive. I started commenting on this thread only after days of you excoriating people. 

I’m here for the negative interactions, not reading articles that you find interesting or persuasive. I started commenting on this thread only after days of you excoriating people ya dumb fuck! 

Added to that for ya

3 hours ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

you toddlers need to get your nap in :)

I hear you cap. Apologies. He has such a punchable presence. And with being shut in with the pandemic and all, lotsa of us are ready to rumble.

Warning - Reading these updates may lead to bouts of swooning among the Reich, and perhaps even one of their dreaded hissy-fits. 

They read further at their peril. 

The rest of ya can likely handle it. 

Golden Rule is now 834 miles from San Francisco, 151 miles closer than yesterday!

We expect them to go under the Golden Gate Bridge on May 30.

Maggie Hallahan and her 55 ft boat will accompany Golden Rule across San Francisco Bay.  If Golden Rule crosses into the Bay during daylight hours, then supporters can greet the crew at Ayala Cove on Angel Island.  Otherwise, they plan to go straight to our summer dock, Point San Pablo marina, and get a shower and long sleep on Maggie’s boat before doing anything else. 

We'll keep you posted about a welcoming ceremony and press conference.

Shore support can take care of the laundry while the crew sleeps.

Captain Kiko Report:

The weather has been good.  We expect about two days of lighter air, but not totally calm, followed by good wind from the NW.  Leroy is asking his tugboat friends in SF Bay what the weather looks like.  We will travel under the Golden Gate Bridge on the north margin of the northern shipping lane, which is the Bonita Channel.

Last night the winds were strong, so we dropped the Genoa and were still going 5 knots.  If the wind eases this morning, we’ll probably put up one of the working jibs.

We’re really looking forward to our arrival!

Comments from supporters:

Scott Tice:

Awesom progress this week!

Sailing under the best conditions can take a toll in just 10 days. I can only imagine the conditions you're all enduring to bring awareness to such a good cause.

"There's no thrill in easy sailing, when the skies are clear and blue, there's no joy in merely doing things which anyone can do. But there is some satisfaction that is mighty sweet to take, when you reach a destination that you thought you'd never make"

Keep thinking about that entrance into San Francisco harbor. I think it's the most majestic harbor, I've ever seen.

Best wishes for better conditions in the final leg.

Margaret Johnston-Kitazawa: It's just great to have the daily reports and see the progress as well as the issues and weather and sea conditions they are dealing with. Much Aloha for their safety and continued voyage. 

The use of nuclear power will end immediately upon their arrival because......................laughable?

The real goal is obviously fund raising.

There is no other realistic outcome.

34 minutes ago, sailpower said:

There is no other realistic outcome.

Your post makes no sense whatsoever. 

First, the issue is not just nuclear power. 

Second, the Rule is part of a global movement, and the granny of all the peace boats out there . . .  such as the Rainbow Warrior, Phoenix of Hiroshimathe Pacific Peacemaker, and many more. 

I am proud to be a part of that tradition. 

Golden Rule is the first boat to engage in environmental direct action in the world.[1] It is currently operated by Veterans for Peace. As of summer of 2017, Golden Rule is actively sailing to promote nuclear non-proliferation and disarmament.[2] 

2 minutes ago, Dark Cloud said:

we need more nuclear power, not less - if u wanna get rid of those nasty coal power stations

That would be a good discussion to have a bit later over on PA.  

20 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

Your post makes no sense whatsoever. 

First, the issue is not just nuclear power. 

Second, the Rule is part of a global movement, and the granny of all the peace boats out there . . .  such as the Rainbow Warrior, Phoenix of Hiroshimathe Pacific Peacemaker, and many more. 

I am proud to be a part of that tradition. 

Golden Rule is the first boat to engage in environmental direct action in the world.[1] It is currently operated by Veterans for Peace. As of summer of 2017, Golden Rule is actively sailing to promote nuclear non-proliferation and disarmament.[2] 

What makes no sense is you stating that the GR is sailing against nuclear power but when you are called out on the futility of the cause you pivot to other enviro-nazi groups.

Let's circle back to the ghost like supposedly anti-nuke nuclear submarine commander whom you gushed over earlier.

That command is held by a USN Commander, pay grade 05 which is equivalent to a US Army Lieutenant Colonel.

As a USN Commander he would be addressed as Captain while in command.

Nothing offical on the internet about his service which is puzzling.

In your linked news article he is shown as having been promoted to the rank of USN Captain which is paygrade 06 and equivalent to a US Army full Colonel.

In order to be selected for 06 he would have had to screen for major command which in the submarine community would be Commodore of a submarine squadron or Commanding Officer of a submarine tender or SSGN or of a shore facility.

All of these posts would leave footprints on the internet yet nothing shows up in a search.

I'm thinking you might be being played for a fool.

Can you contact him?

Do you want to?

Meanwhile, back on Earth, Politico reports:

MORE COST GROWTH: Just in time for the new Pentagon budget request, the Congressional Budget Office is out with a new estimate that is likely to give Congress more sticker shock over the cost of modernizing the nuclear arsenal.

“If carried out, the plans for nuclear forces delineated in the Department of Defense’s and the Department of Energy’s fiscal year 2021 budget requests, submitted in February 2020, would cost a total of $634 billion over the 2021–2030 period, for an average of just over $60 billion a year,” the nonpartisan CBO found.

8 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Does the Golden Rule have good bones? 

During the re-build we did our best to repair and replace "bones" as needed. 

The boat now has about 85% of the hull and support structures new. 

We had semi-pros guiding the work - I just helped out some. 

(there is a funny story about what happened when we tried to use the original rudder) 

image.jpeg.faba05cd562eaccf65d8e8c8a64356e1.jpeg

13 hours ago, Dark Cloud said:

we need more nuclear power, not less - if u wanna get rid of those nasty coal power stations

Looks like our side is beating your side  . .   

A 2016 Gallup poll of the American public revealed that public support for nuclear energy in the United States was at a record low of 44%, with the majority (54%) of respondents saying that they oppose nuclear energy.  

A five year old poll from Gallup?

Hard to beat that. /s

I have participated in some polls to see how objective they might be.

They all felt like they were guiding me to a response.

Garbage in = garbage out except they can spin it as caviar.

Munja.

No answers to my questions re your navy guy?

Looks like our side is beating your side  . .   

A 2016 Gallup poll of the American public revealed that public support for nuclear energy in the United States was at a record low of 44%, with the majority (54%) of respondents saying that they oppose nuclear energy.  

I wonder how many Vets for Peace would support a unilateral nuclear disarmament, Ollie? 

I just want to know how a respected naval officer is so underground on the Internet. It’s almost like he worked for some secret ops after his sub command so they had to scrub his record. 

Or, someone has overstated their rank and command for some attention. Like some who live stolen valor. 

9 minutes ago, sailpower said:

46660ckitsapBREM_Q-A_2_081911WEB-300x201.jpg.16965f960f4cdfac2ac14d2aba0d5444.jpg

Agree, have been looking all over for this guy and just nothing out there bar a few reports of his activism.

I wish we could blow up this photo and keep the clarity.

Looking at his shadow box we see that he was prior enlisted, a first Class Petty Officer, paygrade E6.

Very, very few E6's have ever retired as O6 so that is news.

Looking over at his ribbons he has what looks like a Good Conduct Medal which is only awarded to enlisted sailors every four years of not Fing up. That is the solid maroon ribbon. It appears to have stars on it which would mean that he was enlisted for 8/12 years but I can't be sure of the stars. But if that is true he couldn't have made 06 in the remaining years of his claimed 32 year career.

Below his ribbons he is wearing a SSBN patrol pin which would also have stars, one for each patrol.

Below that appears to be his command at sea pin.

Above that is his gold qualified in submarines as an officer pin.

There is not a silver enlisted sub qualification pin which would seem likely if he was prior enlisted.

Between his Captains shoulder boards is a leather patch. These would have name, rank and likely but not always the command name.

Over his medals he is wearing the star of a command ashore which would be the major command I mentioned earlier.

So if this is all real, this guy would be pretty well known.

?????

At the bottom of the shadow box there appear to be lines of information which could be his career history.

But without a blown up high resolution photo I am speculating.

Curious why AJ has run away from this?

I can’t make out any words to determine if that is, in fact, his  shadow box. 

As an aside, my Uncle did some covert ops off of Cuba with cameras on a “fishing boat” to Mexico. Ran weed and guns back as cover if they were caught by the Cubans on the way back. My Mom had little success getting any help from the government since most of his work at that time was invisible. 

5 hours ago, sailpower said:

Curious why AJ has run away from this?

I don't run away from cowardly punk Reichistas. 

Cpt. Tom is by no means the only high ranking officers to wake up 

and figure out that you militarists are bat-s__t crazy. 

Check out Larry Wilkerson, Ann Wright, (see our Advisory Board for many more) 

To call you despicable is to give you far too much credit. 

You foul whatever nest you inhabit. 

7 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

I wonder how many Vets for Peace would support a unilateral nuclear disarmament, Ollie? 

How about you drop in on one of our meetings and ask  . . ? 

politely, for a change 

9 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

I don't run away from cowardly punk Reichitas. 

Cpt. Tom is by no means the only high ranking officers to wake up 

and figure out that the militarists are bat-s__t crazy. 

Check out Larry Wilkerson, Ann Wright, (see our Advisory Board for many more) 

To call you despicable is to give you far too much credit. 

You foul whatever nest you inhabit. 

Let's get Tom Roger's sorted before we move on to the rest of the litter.

Nice try at changing the subject.

Um, so that is a no to answering the question?

There certainly was a far less emotional way to duck it.

Insecure people lash out just like you when challenged.

Some serious instability there me thinks.

Just now, sailpower said:

Let's get Ton Roger's sorted before we move on to the rest of the litter.

Nice try at changing the subject.

No, you changed the OP - as you well know. 

Why not just start your own dumb-ass thread on any Nazi subject of your choice ?? 

Just now, AJ Oliver said:

No, you changed the OP - as you well know. 

Why not just start your own dumb-ass thread on any Nazi subject of your choice ?? 

You are becoming increasingly more incoherent.

Have another cocktail?

It looks as though the Golden Rule may enter SF Bay 

a bit late for the Master Mariners Regatta on Saturday, May 29th. 

Great to see the Matthew Turner out there in her glory. 

(several Golden Rule volunteers also gave a small boost to the Matt.) 

https://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/beautiful-day-get-ready-master-mariners-regatta/

8 minutes ago, zenmasterfred said:

FUCK!  FUCK!  FUCK YOU AND YOUR SELF FUCKING RIGHTEOUS SELF!

Did someone give you an "Anonymous Cyber-Troll" License ?? 

I flatulate in your general vicinity. 

Apologies to any rational folks hanging around . .  

The Reich has done everything in its evil power to blow up this thread. 

No one is hanging around AJ. 

We just drop in to see you melt down and call people Nazis and reichists. I am still concerned that you are unable or willing to follow up on the question of the identity of Tom Rogers. It’s been asked several times…

This thread is only active because you need the attention. I would never support the group since they are all whackos like you. Nobody here really cares when the old boat hits California, we’ll just be glad the thread will expire.

Then you can set up a gofundme that nobody will contribute to so the boat can get dragged over to do the Great Loopy with more fat, old, young and dumb sailors. 

• Like 1

On the good bones issue, I think we'd all most would agree the Golden Rule has good bones as a functional vintage vessel. Like a "painted lady" of housing fame. 

Several bigass schooners stop along here on the way from Downeast heading south each year. Sailing advertisements for good bones. My fave is Hindu out of PTown. 

Irwins? heh ...     I'm mucho surprised at the Oyster comments but I likes me oysters raw ... like me wenches.

30 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

Then you can set up a gofundme that nobody will contribute to so the boat can get dragged over to do the Great Loopy with more fat, old, young and dumb sailors. 

Why didn't they just sail to the canal and transit?

On 5/15/2021 at 12:21 AM, AJ Oliver said:

How about if you and @Fah Kiew Tu  both match my grants to the good ol' Golden Rule ?? 

I have the receipts 

BTW, I hope she and her valiant crew make it to San Francisco again - fingers crossed 

The last time she was there she was welcomed as a visiting historical vessel at the  Maritime National Historical Park 

I am very proud to have played a small role in that. 

Some folks appreciate nautical history - even if you do not. 

Why would I want to voluntarily throw away money on something that you think is a good idea?

I am already compelled to pay ridiculous levels of taxes from the idiotic policies promulgated by the buffoons you and yours have elected.

Instead of tossing your money on something symbolic, why not donate it to actually alleviate the suffering you have caused with those well intentioned by inevitably negative consequence fantasies. 

15 minutes ago, LionessRacing said:

I am already compelled to pay ridiculous levels of taxes from the idiotic policies promulgated by the buffoons you and yours have elected.

Call it the cost of civilization - but I agree that civ is pretty much wasted on you. 

You might try sailing over to Somalia - a no-tax failed state. 

No school taxes (no schools), no highway taxes (no highways), no taxes for safety nets (they don't have those either). 

(With no disrespect to the people of Somalia, who have suffered much)