News: Vets For Peace historic vessel departs Hawaii

• Replies 823
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Errr...one small problem. There is not one post wishing ill on the crew.    Why is that oh erudite one ? In my world,. when you act like a dick your mates will give you a nudge. In case yo

I am sad to hear about your health issues ED, hope you are doing ok.  The above is exactly why I have no time for AJ. When the observation is more applicable to the defence, I think you've answer

As I think this over, it occurs that US politics are needlessly complex. In a nutshell, you either lap up AJ's drool and spittle, or ... you're a Nazi. Simple stuff really. 

Posted Images

Nor I, but I can tell you that many of the Pacific Islanders that the GR team met while in Hawaii were very supportive of the mission. 

To understand why, watch the first few minutes of the doco. 

And this doco is powerful as well, arguing that the USG used the Marshallese as unwitting atomic test subjects. 

(Public TV was going to fund it, but pulled the plug when they decided it was too "radical". ) 

https://www.videoproject.com/Nuclear-Savage-The-Islands-of-Secret-Project-4-1.html

2 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

You cannot win if you do not try. 

I can try dunking a bb but the odds are about the same as Russia and China and all the rest giving up nukes. It's silly stupid to think otherwise.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

I can try dunking a bb but the odds are about the same as Russia and China and all the rest giving up nukes. It's silly stupid to think otherwise.

You might have missed this bit of whimsy.

Michael Hall:

While a world rages

suffers from war

crimes against nature

one small light

bright as bright can be

a mighty little boat sails on

for sanity

for peace

for what we are supposed to be

some day

tomorrow? 

Today!

----------------------------------------------------------

He/She needs to have a good cry and all will be well.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

Aw Cap, not South Carolina. Come on man! I just got back from Hilton Head Is. Cost $9.00 for a day pass allowing you not to have to interact with any black people but it's not the real South Carolina the rest of us know all about. Get off the island and take a look around. In my non-humble view, MS, and AL are the worst states in every way but SC is next.

I keep forgetting there are a few Republican voters here but no worries, I FTFY.

I'm over on the other end of the state from Hilton Head (essentially North Georgia)  in Horry County. We have our challenges, but don't have a pass for any fee to avoid interacting with folks of any persuasions. The "Real South Carolina" of this decade has had a female governor of Indian heritage, has a black republican senator, and a mix of representatives that cover the diversity map for politics as well as genetics.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

Nor I, but I can tell you that many of the Pacific Islanders that the GR team met while in Hawaii were very supportive of the mission. 

To understand why, watch the first few minutes of the doco. 

And this doco is powerful as well, arguing that the USG used the Marshallese as unwitting atomic test subjects. 

(Public TV was going to fund it, but pulled the plug when they decided it was too "radical". ) 

https://www.videoproject.com/Nuclear-Savage-The-Islands-of-Secret-Project-4-1.html

After sailing in the Eastern Tuamotu for six months in 2019... It is absolutely unbelievable what the French government did (and covered up) to the denizens of that part of the world. The Nuclear Age started with a complete disregard for us peasants.

8 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

I will say, however, that we used to discuss that very issue in my classes. 

If I were your student, I would have corrected you to state “our classes”, professor.  

Looks like he is legit.

He appears to have enlisted in 1967 and after a couple of years was picked up for a commissioning program where USN pays for college and then commissions you.

One of those programs was NESEP where you would receive a STEM degree and then likely go. into the Nuclear program.

While in college you could continue enlisted advancement so that would explain the E6 paygrade.

I was a NESEP candidate in 1969 but at the 11th hour all age waivers were pulled and I was a few weeks over the limit.

Also looks like he was a hard charger as he was a Lieutenant Commander, O4 at his seven year point.

I recall navy had early 04 advancement for the guys who took the Engineer Department Head job.

You had to be good to get picked for that.

So, kudos for his career but it is odd that he is such a ghost on the internet.

Anyway, mystery solved.

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, sailpower said:

So, kudos for his career but it is odd that he is such a ghost on the internet.

Anyway, mystery solved.

You wasted quite a number of brain cells on that  . . 

Just now, AJ Oliver said:

You wasted quite a number of brain cells on that  . . 

Not really, his total lack of internet presence and your lack of response regarding what vessel he commanded justified a little online investgation. 

I consider that some good teamwork and a good result.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, 2flit said:

The Nuclear Age started with a complete disregard for us peasants.

Well, yes, and dark skinned peasants especially, though there are hundreds of thousands of Caucasian nuclear victims too. 

In the United States, which conducted almost half of all nuclear tests, a 2017 study estimated that fallout from nuclear testing contributed between 340,000 to 460,000 excess deaths from 1951 and 1973.Aug 6, 2020

7 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

You could possibly be correct, but why do you feel so compelled to trash anyone who tries to end the madness??? 

Did you watch the "making waves vid"?? 

It directly addresses your defeatism. 

1 minute ago, Essex said:

Did you know which sub he commanded and decline to answer ? 

Or are you now better informed ?

I don't give a rat about your prying snarkish questions. 

I only know that he has, like many of us vets, had an epiphany. 

You questioned his honesty, and you were wrong. 

How about an apology . .  ??? 

1 hour ago, sailpower said:

"many of us vets?"

You were in the military?

Trying to be halfway polite here, but it is not easy . . . . 

Veterans For Peace is composed of veterans. 

I am a (proud) member of VFP. 

How about watching this vid ?? It will answer many of your questions. 

I watched the video. Usual distortions and answers to questions I don't ask.

War is an abomination.

Acknowledging that doesn't change the fact that humans have fought and destroyed each other since there have been humans.

It's not pretty and is so unneccessary yet it appears to be the human condition.

I had no desire to go to VN in 1965.

Dad was career submariner and at that time was stationed at Sub Base, Groton.

The SSBN program was a great way to get a technical education, fast advancement and possibly a secure future so I joined for a six year enlistment which ended up being seven.

Had I not joined nothing would have changed and the world would not have noticed.  So I didn't concern myself with worrying about it.

When I didn't get the NESEP age waiver I did a tour as an instructor at Submarine School and got out, using the GI Bill for my degree.

John Lennon got it wrong. People as a people have never worked for the good of all.

That's why Communism has never worked.

That's why floating around in a little boat to change mankind has never worked either

So, what did you do in the miltary?

6 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

You could possibly be correct, but why do you feel so compelled to trash anyone who tries to end the madness??? 

Yours is a small cult but a cult nonetheless that believes in fantasy while staring reality right in the eye. Blinded by the light as it were. The group isn't any more likely to "end the madness" than I am to dunk over King James. I support causes that can make an impact.

You get VFP to actively work on getting the homeless off the streets or anything with a tiny chance to succeed and most of us would be all in. 

• Like 1

Sailpower , I’m going to guess that by AJ’s age that he had to do 2 years military service as a result of the draft…

4 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

Sailpower , I’m going to guess that by AJ’s age that he had to do 2 years military service as a result of the draft…

He seems reluctant to answer.

12 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

If I were your student, I would have corrected you to state “our classes”, professor.  

If I’m here, and you’re here, doesn’t that make it our time, Mr Hand? 

13 hours ago, LionessRacing said:

The "Real South Carolina" of this decade has had a female governor of Indian heritage, has a black republican senator, and a mix of representatives that cover the diversity map for politics as well as genetics.

Ho HO! You left out your gay US Senator!

Black republican is an oxymoron.

And dropping back just a decade or so, ya got disgraced ex-gov Mark "The Love Gov" Sanford who can't seem to survive without that gov teat to suck on and voters returned him to take oxymoron's seat for awhile. 

"Quinndom"

Joe" you lie!" Wilson 

And Strom Thurmond, bless his black heart in the good ol' days

And Nikki Haley. I thought she had real promise til she did the 180° for Trump proving she will say anything she's paid to say, like all the others.

And oh so many more public "servants" proving how much South Carolinians value diversity in govt.

Like you, I'd like to believe that SC has entered the century the rest of us are in but come Tuesday, the legislature will be back in action figuring out new ways to keep Blacks from voting. 

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

AJ is on record as being in VN as a rear echelon mofo. His term. I mentioned back when he announced that that I'd prefer his ilk out of the military rather than sabotaging our efforts from the inside in whatever small ways they could.

And what's the big deal with Capt Rogers? He's just one guy who had a change of heart. His opinions are no more or less valuable than any other Vet fo' Peace. 

In the United States, which conducted almost half of all nuclear tests, a 2017 study estimated that fallout from nuclear testing contributed between 340,000 to 460,000 excess deaths from 1951 and 1973.Aug 6, 2020

We used to watch the tests on television! BITD

29 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

AJ is on record as being in VN as a rear echelon mofo. His term. I mentioned back when he announced that that I'd prefer his ilk out of the military rather than sabotaging our efforts from the inside in whatever small ways they could.

And what's the big deal with Capt Rogers? He's just one guy who had a change of heart. His opinions are no more or less valuable than any other Vet fo' Peace. 

29 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

AJ, a REMF, makes sense.

Captain Rogers would have been on at least 4 boats and at least one of them would have been a SSBN, based on him wearing a patrol pin which were only given to those serving on SSBN's.

Division Officer tour.

Department Head.

XO.

CO.

In his case he would also have had some kind of major command, afloat or ashore as an O6.

They have been observed very carefully over the years throughout all that so it is unusual for one of them to later go rogue.

32 minutes ago, sailpower said:

AJ, a REMF, makes sense.

So tell me about your illustrious service asshole.  I want to hear what a hero you are.

I don't know how old you are but if AJ was drafted, he didn't exactly enter the military voluntarily.  The Vietnam war was shit show that needlessly claimed 58,000 American lives and around 3 million or so Vietnamese lives.

If you are so tough, then why did you join the Navy instead of the Marines?  Maybe because you are some kind of pussy is my guess.  I spent many hours on the internet and couldn't find anything about your service.  Maybe you're lying about it, I don't know.  You sure talk some shit here tough guy.

And for the record I served 8 years in the Army although I never served in combat.  I am proud of my service and except assholes like you I don't denigrate other's service.  You raise your right hand and you go where your told and do what they tell you to do.  Dickhead.

And fuck off too.  Asshole.

Uh, Oh, another in the REMF community is not happy.

I have already posted about my navy experience. If you are interested and know anyone who is smart maybe get them to help you read those posts. Sorry but there are no stick figures used.

I didn't join the Marines because they didn't have submarines although maybe they do in your world?

Wait, you spent hours on the internet and didn't find any military service for Sailpower? LOL. See if you can figure out the obvious reason for that although there would be no reason to find me even if you knew my real name.

Thank you for playing though.

Speaking of Marines.

Just a note about REMF: a buddy, ret Army Ranger LtCol who has BTDT in Nam and the Pentagon, when confronted with that comment in a thinktank discussion said, in effect, "hold on guys. It takes 7 soldiers in the background to support one soldier at the front. Without them, nothing happens." 

7 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

Just a note about REMF: a buddy, ret Army Ranger LtCol who has BTDT in Nam and the Pentagon, when confronted with that comment in a thinktank discussion said, in effect, "hold on guys. It takes 7 soldiers in the background to support one soldier at the front. Without them, nothing happens." 

Don't tell that asshole @Sailpower.  He complains about REMFS but he probably spent more time in the bars in Olangapo then he did in a submarine giving reach arounds to his bunk mates.  Funny hearing a sailor complaining about REMFS.  Dumb fuck doesn't have a sense of humor or sarcasm detector worth a shit either.  

23 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

I totally get that.

I think they got the REMF name from those who embellished their service and posed as front line warriors. You know, the guys who never go outside the wire and then later on blather about the hell of being in theatre.

In any event, it is sport in the military, whatever branch, to give each other shit.

If someone outside the military attempts to join in then everyone closes ranks and stands together.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

Don't tell that asshole @Sailpower.  He complains about REMFS but he probably spent more time in the bars in Olangapo then he did in a submarine giving reach arounds to his bunk mates.  Funny hearing a sailor complaining about REMFS.  Dumb fuck doesn't have a sense of humor or sarcasm detector worth a shit either.  

No SSBN's in Olangapo. We didn't hit liberty ports. We flew over to Rota, Spain relieved the other crew, did a three week or so upkeep then underwater for 60/70 days mostly on alert, return to Rota, fly home and three months later rinse/repeat.

Submarine sailors are REMF's?  Tell that to the families of the crews of Thresher and Scorpion.

I love humor.

My favorite is "and fuck off too, Asshole." That always gets a laugh.

You get VFP to actively work on getting the homeless off the streets or anything with a tiny chance to succeed and most of us would be all in. 

Well, as it happens, VFP San Diego has a large project to aid the homeless, many of whom are veterans with PTSD caused by all your wars. Other VFP chapters work on homelessness issues too. 

So of course, you are going to go "all in" on that, right ?? (Sarcasm thingy) 

Here is a place where you can at donate . . . seriously doubt that you will, but hope springs eternal. 

https://www.sdvfp.org/about/compassion-campaign/#:~:text=The San Diego Veterans For,December 2010 and continues indefinitely.

3 hours ago, sailpower said:

Submarine sailors are REMF's?  Tell that to the families of the crews of Thresher and Scorpion.

You mean those poor souls who were lost due to accident and/or carelessness ?  Not combat ? 

If submariners are "front line", then so was I. We at least got shot at with some frequency - fortunately for us, it was mostly by people with poor aim. 

Yours is a small cult but a cult nonetheless that believes in fantasy while staring reality right in the eye. Blinded by the light as it were. The group isn't any more likely to "end the madness" than I am to dunk over King James. I support causes that can make an impact.

VFP saw early on the emerging catastrophe that was the Iraq invasion of 2003. We saw it as a disaster for both Iraq and the US, and we did everything in our power to stop it from happening. 

If we had more support from your Elk, we might have stopped it. 

You are the ones who are "blind to reality". 

So what were you doing in the early months of 2003 ?? 

Meanwhile, out at sea . .

Golden Rule is now 406 miles from Golden Gate Bridge!  We expect them to arrive on Monday May 31 during the daytime.  For best tides, we hope they will arrive between 10 am and 7 pm, but there are no guarantees.  

If you noticed the “Waypoint” near Santa Barbara on the Garmin/InReach map, just ignore it - that was set up years ago and has nothing to do with Golden Rule today.

Plans and Thank You's:

Schoonmaker marina is hosting the Berkeley Yacht Club this weekend and may not have a slip for the Golden Rule.    I’ll give a more firm ETA and dock location in tomorrow’s report.

Art Koch is a professional photographer / videographer and is available Monday to take drone footage of Golden Rule’s arrival under Golden Gate bridge from a boat.  Suni Petersen has a boat at South Beach harbor marina and will take him out if the wind is below 15 kt (usually until 2 or 3 pm).

Maggie Hallahan has room for 3 crew on her boat at Liberty Ship Marina and Rob Duncan has a bed for Captain Kiko at his house, an easy walk or short drive from the marinas.  Several of us can take good pictures of Golden Rule’s arrival at the marina.

Captain Kiko reported that they motored all night - as you can see from the weather map, they are just coming out of a high pressure (calm wind) area.  From now on, they should be able to sail with decent wind from the north and make faster progress.

Comments from supporters:

Theodora Tsongas: Wow!  Wish we could see that mainsail and Genoa wing-on-wing!  Thank you all!

Krista Anderson: What exciting news to hear Goldie and the crew will most likely arrive this weekend. It has been a joy to live vicariously through the crew during this unforgettable adventure. You are all so brave and your journey admirable. A special message to Malinda (Gramma), your grandkids are watching/following along and are so proud of you! Thank you for showing them that anything is always possible. We can't wait to hug you. Go Goldie! Go Gramma!

Dale & Kelly Anderson: Rods of encouragement—

“When we push ourselves towards a tough yet meaningful goal, we thrive. Our reward systems spike not when we achieve what we’re after but when we’re in pursuit of it.” – Will Storr

Kathy Evans:  Loving these updates! So excited to see pics of the crew arrive in SF! What a sight to see! Lots of love to the crew! 

You just don't understand this forum, AJ; 99% of posters are lefties or leftish. You are so self centered you hadn't noticed. There's a term for that you senile old fart.

42 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

So what were you doing in the early months of 2003 ?? 

Sailing.

Sensible folks don't equate Iraq with anti nukes.

5 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

You just don't understand this forum, AJ; 99% of posters are lefties or leftish. You are so self centered you hadn't noticed. There's a term for that; "you senile old fart."

Calling the "99% of the posters lefties or leftish" may be accurate, though that's a bit unlikely, and more probably confirmation bias. That you didn't punctuate correctly is indicative of the validity of your categorization as one. :):P

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

You just don't understand this forum, AJ; 99% of posters are lefties or leftish. You are so self centered you hadn't noticed. There's a term for that you senile old fart.

Errr....slight correction Crab. 99% of posters here are rational and normal adults that can disagree with each other without pigeon holing each other into 'reichists' or some other similar dumb fuck sound bite.

Happy to admit that in the US that currently appears to rule out the large majority of 'righties' though. 

Edit: Sorry that isn't fair, that should say 'GOP fanboys' not 'righties'. There is a mile of difference. 

• Like 3

You mean those poor souls who were lost due to accident and/or carelessness ?  Not combat ? 

If submariners are "front line", then so was I. We at least got shot at with some frequency - fortunately for us, it was mostly by people with poor aim. 

I've given your comment some thought.

I have never seen a report suggesting that carelessness was a factor in either loss.

You want to piss on some graves?

Have at it.

I will say that I would like you to contact Captain Tom Rogers and explain to him that he was not a frontline warrior and that his service was less risky than yours because you occasionally got shot at.

Someone in your group knows how to reach him

Do that.

• Like 1

I've given your comment some thought.

you have gone out of your way to disrespect the VFP. 

how about if you go get lost. 

9 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

Sensible folks don't equate Iraq with anti nukes.

Really? How about Condi, Cheney, Dubya, Colin and the Neo-con marching band ?? 

Don't be deliberately dense. 

You had a patriotic duty in 2003 to help stop the national disaster. 

And you blew it off, 

because "recreation"? 

Really??  

4 hours ago, LionessRacing said:

That you didn't punctuate correctly is indicative of the validity of your categorization as one. :):P

The Crabster is no more of a leftie than the Mikey 

4 hours ago, shaggybaxter said:

Errr....slight correction Crab. 99% of posters here are rational and normal adults that can disagree with each other without pigeon holing each other into 'reichists' or some other similar dumb fuck sound bite.

You do not know of what you write  . .

I'm actually taking it easy our far right compatriots in referring to them as "Reichistas". 

Any of them who support or even tolerate the Drumph are more properly referred to as "fascists".

I don't go that far, but I probably should  . . 

You can choose to be offended by the term Reich, but if you do, it is on you. 

Thanks Google !!

The word Reich” (unlike the word “Führer” or “Heil”) has little negative connotation in german. It just means empire. (Possibly there is some resentment with the concept rather than the word.) You would not use "Reich" in context of germany, because it's the wrong word and using it expresses some disputable nostalgia.

37 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

You do not know of what you write  . .

I'm actually taking it easy our far right compatriots in referring to them as "Reichistas". 

Any of them who support or even tolerate the Drumph are more properly referred to as "fascists".

I don't go that far, but I probably should  . . 

You can choose to be offended by the term Reich, but if you do, it is on you. 

Thanks Google !!

The word Reich” (unlike the word “Führer” or “Heil”) has little negative connotation in german. It just means empire. (Possibly there is some resentment with the concept rather than the word.) You would not use "Reich" in context of germany, because it's the wrong word and using it expresses some disputable nostalgia.

You're an idiot. Try an image search & don't treat other posters as fools.

image.thumb.png.4d4291912cc0e3c11d5bda74859b37fd.png

https://www.google.com/search?q=reich&rlz=1C1FGUR_enAU916AU917&sxsrf=ALeKk01G4qiWMUm9IKcRVA-ukAE69cbRLw:1622270725194&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjSxLeype7wAhVpwjgGHWPAD0kQ_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw=1366&bih=657

• Like 1
1 hour ago, AJ Oliver said:

You're just a fuckwit for assuming we're all that far right, Leftard

4 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

The Crabster is no more of a leftie than the Mikey 

I am a registered Independent. Always have been. Wasted many a vote on 3rd party candidates over 5 voting decades in the quixotic hope of changing the system but I was older then … I have voted for zero Bushes or Reagans.

Personally, I find it difficult to consider you a "lefty." Lefty still implies reasonableness, and you've spent too much time and effort shining your armor and preening in your reflection. You are an ankle biter with pitbull pretensions. 

9 hours ago, LionessRacing said:

That you didn't punctuate correctly is indicative of the validity of your categorization as one. :)

That hurt my inner grammar Nazi. :P

9 hours ago, shaggybaxter said:

Edit: Sorry that isn't fair, that should say 'GOP fanboys' not 'righties'. There is a mile of difference. 

Yeah. This really has gone tits up here. I'm not sure we get past this regardless of TFG. I know many of these folks and they feel they are fighting evil … just like the rest of us do only the other way around. Hawley and Cotton are waiting in the wings and both are bad but smart guys. And now we know that many high ranking military jeffes didn't take the oath we thought they did. 

5 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

You never disappoint.

Always predictible.

Cowardly pussy.

Now that I know where he is, I am looking him up and will be sending him your posts.

What do you suppose his reaction will be?

The VFP are gonna love you.

You are the one who has disrespected the group. You started all the shit flinging from the get go. It is fun to watch you start a “Lefty”activist thread on a forum(not Political Anarchy)and lose it when people troll you. 

Jack _Sparrow needs you for protection on one of the other threads…the big kids are piling up on him again.

BTW, I’ve always voted like Blue Claw, and you AJ, have always voted along a party line and your party has switched places with the other side since the mid 70’s. I’m sure that you are aware of that, since you are older, wiser and much more intelligent than me.

This quote by Fred Nietzsche pretty much sums up the Vets For Peace view of nuclear weapons. 

They are cowardly, and the products of hate and fear. 

“And perhaps the great day will come when a people, distinguished by wars and victories and by the highest development of a military order and intelligence, and accustomed to make the heaviest sacrifices for these things, will exclaim of its own free will, "We break the sword," and will smash its entire military establishment down to its lowest foundations. Rendering oneself unarmed when one has been the best-armed, out of a height of feeling—that is the means to real peace, which must always rest on a peace of mind; whereas the so-called armed peace, as it now exists in all countries, is the absence of peace of mind. One trusts neither oneself nor one's neighbor and, half from hatred, half from fear, does not lay down arms. Rather perish than hate and fear, and twice rather perish than make oneself hated and feared—this must some day become the highest maxim for every single commonwealth, too.”
 Friedrich Nietzsche

Just in case you were under the mistaken impression that the people responsible for the security of nuclear weapons knew what they were doing . . 

Which one of ya wrote that, "Deterrence works!" 

Yeah, it works like this . . 

https://www.bellingcat.com/news/2021/05/28/us-soldiers-expose-nuclear-weapons-secrets-via-flashcard-apps/?fbclid=IwAR0wXGXLNDX9joYuTmK3DkuvVE3SQyHfv5V_cZxwtsLdbnvUFJS86w2vrq4

Time to move this thread over to Political Anarchy so I don’t have to see this trash spewed here on SA. 

34 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

Time to move this thread over to Political Anarchy so I don’t have to see this trash spewed here on SA. 

Dude, you have spewed more trash than the rest put together.  

I used to have some respect for you.  I don't know what happened but the change isn't a good one.

Bad 2 years for me. I guess I need a break, so thanks for the honesty and I’ll take a few weeks off and come when I am a little less abrasive. 

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

Bad 2 years for me. I guess I need a break, so thanks for the honesty and I’ll take a few weeks off and come when I am a little less abrasive. 

May you find peace, or peace find you . .    or both. 

Fred N shows himself as batshit crazy: "Rendering oneself unarmed when one has been the best-armed, out of a height of feeling—that is the means to real peace, which must always rest on a peace of mind ..."

Short-sighted doesn't begin to cover this ridiculousness. It's batshit crazy. 

When the lion lays down with the lamb only the lion knows what's for supper. The FA and the ANTIFA are both nuts. 

Fun facts: Fred's dad was a Lutheran minister; not a great way to build a normal childhood imo. He lost a teaching job due to mental instability, moved to Mom's basement. Then on to an insane asylum for a while, then back to basement to die batshit crazy. His notion of the ubermensch was an ideal he failed to achieve. He put the "gyn" in misogyny.  

• Like 1

Update for Saturday, May 10th 

Golden Rule is now only 302 miles from the Golden Gate Bridge!  They traveled 123 miles yesterday.  They are entering an area of high wind from the north and will go even faster today (Saturday) and tomorrow (Sunday).  We can be fairly certain of a Monday arrival.

Plans for arrival: We tentatively have two boats to use for taking photos and videos of Golden Rule coming under the Golden Gate Bridge and photographers for on them.  When they arrive in Sausalito (still not sure of the location), a few of us will help the crew get showers, laundry, food and sleep.  In addition, a reporter and a photographer from the San Francisco Chronicle will be on hand to finish an article about the Golden Rule.  This is the biggest San Francisco newspaper and they have never published an article about Golden Rule before.

On Tuesday June 1 at noon, we’ll gather in Sausalito to greet the crew after they have had a good sleep.  I’ll post the location and directions in tomorrow’s email.

On Wednesday June 2 Golden Rule will sail past San Francisco close to shore and continue on to Berkeley.  We’ll have a welcome celebration at one of the parks near Berkeley Marina at 5 pm.  Again, we’ll let you know tomorrow the location and approximately what time we’ll sail past San Francisco.

Comments from Supporters:

Ellen Murphy: Four hundred miles from the Golden Gate

Thank you all; you really rate!    xxoo,   ellen

Cynthia Massa: IMUA Captains and Crew of the Golden Rule! Malama Pono for the last 400 miles of this voyage. E'O! Sending MUCH ALOHA

Margaret Johnston-Kitazawa: So special that Golden Rule and Captain and crew are almost to the destination - safe travels the last few hundred miles. What a tremendous voyage.

Jon Letman: Very exciting to watch them progress. Thank you for all the updates!

Keith Oney: I so appreciate all the updates!  I have admit to being very envious of the GR Crew, but at the same time very happy that Goldie has performed so well, the voyage is going excellent and is nearly complete.  Wishing you all more fair winds and following seas, Kiko, Malinda, Nolan and Kanoe!!

3 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

Fred N shows himself as batshit crazy: "Rendering oneself unarmed when one has been the best-armed, out of a height of feeling—that is the means to real peace, which must always rest on a peace of mind ..."

Nike Tesla and James Forrestal were crazy too. 

You got a problem wit dat ?? 

1 minute ago, AJ Oliver said:

Nike Tesla and James Forrestal were crazy too. 

You got a problem wit dat ?? 

Dat's some whataboutism right there Ollie.

4 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

you AJ, have always voted along a party line

Not true, of course. I voted for a GOPPER just last November . . 

and am starting to regret it bigly. 

The Ohio GOPPER Reich are full-on insurrectionists, and are totally bent on 

purging honest conservatives from the party (see the case of US Rep Tony Gonzalez). 

15 hours ago, sailpower said:

I will say that I would like you to contact Captain Tom Rogers and explain to him that he was not a frontline warrior

As you well know, that is not what I wrote. What I DID write was that, if you and Capt. Tom were frontline troopers/sailors, then I was as well. 

You trolls can and do twist just about everything. 

27 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

Short-sighted doesn't begin to cover this ridiculousness. It's batshit crazy. 

My students and I used to read some chunks of Nietzsche, and then they would be asked to write (and present) on the following question  . .  "To what extent was he responsible for the rise of Nazism??" 

Fun times. 

The responses were generally that he did bear some responsibility, but that he was on the whole an anti-authoritarian, and would have been an Antifa of those times. 

I wonder what he would make of the current state of European politics ?? 

6 minutes ago, sailpower said:

I know what you wrote but I don't know what you did in the military because you don't answer that question.

Do you imagine that I am somehow obligated to answer your queries ??  

But anyway, partly I did this .  . (below) 

It was called "radio research" because the actual mission was illegal under the 1954 Geneva Accords. 

We were also the people who were reading your mail. 

https://www.facebook.com/509th-RRCUV-Group-Davis-Station-Republic-South-Vietnam-261151753919057/

Vietnam was a really bad mission, and many of us returned home to join and sometimes lead the antiwar movement. 

7 minutes ago, sailpower said:

the equivalent of stalking

So THAT is where you earned your stripes in stalking !!   

The Reich is completely uncivil, yet demands civility of others. 

WTF do you think SSN's do?

FWIW I was on a SSBN so we were the stalkee not the stalkers.

Good grief, you are a fool

FWIW, Uncivil would be me saying you are a fucking fool.

I wonder what he would make of the current state of European politics ?? 

I'll happily defer to you on that one.

I'll happily defer to you on that one.

I have a lot more questions than answers. 

8 hours ago, sailpower said:

WTF do you think SSN's do?

FWIW I was on a SSBN so we were the stalkee not the stalkers.

OK, so I want to be respectful here - not like y'all. 

Answer me this: Has anyone on the planet ever fired a shot in anger 

at a US nuclear sub??  

I am thinking not. 

No snark - jes da facs, with sources. 

at a US nuclear sub??  

I am thinking not. 

Almost certainly not. Same reason nobody (yet) has lobbed a nuke via missile onto a silo in another country.

Because the response wouldn't be good.

Of course you kumbaya types don't think about details like it only takes one side to start a war. Especially if you're the side with nukes.

FKT

at a US nuclear sub??  

I am thinking not. 

Read Blind Mans Bluff and get an idea what Cold War ops were like.

There isn't much more to say to a guy who believes that making coffee behind the lines was as dangerous as submarining.

Or you can ask your Captain Roger's which of course you don't have the courage to do.

• Like 1

Or you can ask your Captain Roger's which of course you don't have the courage to do.

Never met Rogers, but we both crewed on the Golden Rule

I'll wager he would laugh at your phony bravado. 

There is not one noble thing about holding a sword of Damocles to threaten the lives of all. 

In Vietnam, we used to refer to the stories (like yours) of people who tried to glorify their service as "flack jacket" stories. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Of course you kumbaya types don't think about details like it only takes one side to start a war. Especially if you're the side with nukes.

Some of ya blokes out there on the periphery of the Empire are willing to fight to the last American. 

You seem totally unaware of the economic, environmental, political, psychological and moral costs of nukes - which is almost understandable since you pay nearly none of the costs. 

Your logic and information are at a junior high level, at best. 

56 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

This is not strictly on topic, but it does give an idea about the perspective of Vets For Peace. 

https://genemarx.substack.com/p/memorial-days-pretense-of-remembrance

Remembrance is one thing but I'd like to see Americans drop the prayer notion entirely. It's inappropriate at anytime but particularly today. Gene gets that but he still has a glimmer of hope which is just prayer's cousin. We don't go to war for God and Country, only some perceived advantage for country. 

Good and Evil are man-made concepts. They don't exist by themselves. And whether something is good or evil to you is simply a matter of your perspective.

Nukes changed the stakes but not the game. 

1 hour ago, Blue Crab said:

Nukes changed the stakes but not the game. 

Right, and the stakes now are omnicide and species extinction. 

As a smarter person than me observed, "Either we abolish war and nukes or they will abolish us." 

And certainly it can be argued that nuclear deterrence has worked; but the question is, Will it work forever? That is highly doubtful.