how hard to replace a jib on a roller furler

i was asked to take a job by friend who didn't have the time.. it's to replace a jib on a roller furler  , i think it's an oday  30 -32 'er...    how hard is it to do this?    what's it entail?   degree of difficulty..

replace with a new jib? this is a 30 minute job as long as the furler is relatively maintained. Also calm days make it easy.

Unfurl jib

Disconnect bottom of the sail at the furler (usually a small shackle or similar).

Release halyard.

Pull down sail, sliding luff out of groove in furler.

Once sail is down, disconnect top of sail from swivel.

Install the new sail in reverse.

If you don't have a feeder for the sail, then you typically need a person to pull on the halyard while you guide the luff tape into the groove of the furler

Less than 30 minutes. Most of the time will be spent walking back to the cabin of the boat to get a tool to open the shackle. And a winch handle.

If doing it solo, pick a calm day, drop it on the foredeck and fold/flake as desired.

Then when raising the new one, you'll need to lead the halyard forward so you can pull on the halyard as you guide the new sail into the foil. Otherwise it will be "raise 2', go to bow, align sail, walk to halyard, raise 2' etc."

Add...if the next headsail is a different size (or weight?) then the furling line may need to be rolled onto drum before hoisting the sail. Depends on the history...

Pre-feeder gizmo saves much work.

4 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

i was asked to take a job by friend who didn't have the time.. it's to replace a jib on a roller furler  , i think it's an oday  30 -32 'er...    how hard is it to do this?    what's it entail?   degree of difficulty..

The last roller jib change I performed took 6 days and 13 hours 

rain with 25 knots of wind from astern 

before you begin seek out a local pub to hang out in while you Waite for favorable Genoa drop conditions 

• Like 2

Easy peasy with an extra pair of hands to feed the sail  otherwise, like zonk said,  it’s a bit of back and forth pull halyard a few feet, reset the sail pull a few more feet, wash rinse repeat.  Mclube....

if you are installing a larger headsail, then you may want to add a few more wraps on the drum, just to make sure you can wrap the entire sail up

figure while you got the spinning bits lowered lube up the bearings  

might be a good time to do an end for end swap on the halyard...

good time to inspect the sail and uv cover. Have some needles and thread handy just in case something looks suspect.

If you're doing it on your own, raising the new jib can be made easier by taking one turn around the halyard winch and leading the halyard forward so you can haul and feed simultaneously.

I usually find that the halyard ends just out of reach, so the sail slides out of the track as I try to grab the halyard.

Do that a dozen times, then add a tail to the halyard.

• Like 2
54 minutes ago, SEC16518 said:

Is this a serious question?

yeah I think I might have missed a purple font or something

2 hours ago, SEC16518 said:

Is this a serious question?

yes,   have never done it before...   just want to make sure it's worth my time because its about an hours drive to that particular marina..

and thanks everyone for the replies..

and it's no dumber a question than "I want to remove 60lbs off my 35' boat so it'll go faster.. "

• Like 1

Before you get to far into things make sure everything is moving, IE pull sail out and fuel in light air, try to move up down a bit in foil.  About the only worry is something getting seized and having to deal with a half up or down mess.

7 hours ago, Zonker said:

Less than 3 minutes. Most of the time will be spent walking back to the cabin of the boat to get a tool to open the shackle Beer. And a winch handle Bottle Opener.

Feexed!

4 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

yes,   have never done it before...   just want to make sure it's worth my time because its about an hours drive to that particular marina..

and it's no dumber a question than "I want to remove 60lbs off my 35' boat so it'll go faster.. "

Slug's response is pertinent. On the dock can be a problem on a breezy day of the wind is from behind you.  Might be ok on a 30 footer. However it's a sailing boat, if you take it sailing and point it into the wind it's all easy.

I can never understand the fuss my father and father in law make of it.

11 hours ago, jamhass said:

And maybe a bit of sail lube as the new jib is raised?

Yes, the person feeding the sail sprays McLube on the luff line as it goes into the foil. There is a lot of friction on our older Furlex, so it needs a winch after the first ten feet. Solo, I attach the feeder below the foil and just grind it up. To make it easier, I take a turn around the halyard winch then lead the halyard to one of the primaries.

14 hours ago, European Bloke said:

Slug's response is pertinent. On the dock can be a problem on a breezy day of the wind is from behind you.  Might be ok on a 30 footer. However it's a sailing boat, if you take it sailing and point it into the wind it's all easy.

They should be old enough to have changed hanked on sails - way harder IMO.

make sure halyard is able to run freely , so when your at bow, it can just come down.

Lay out sail your going to put up and spray luff tape both side with Mclube or equivalent 

Thats all I got 

On 5/6/2021 at 7:23 PM, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

That is a pretty high bar you've set.

This may seem like an obvious point but have the jib sheets on and run through blocks pre hoist. Run the leeward sheet back to yourself at the mast(or forestay if you really must do it solo) and within reach while you’re hoisting. When you’re fully hoisted, walk the sheet back to a winch at the cockpit, hopefully within reach of the furling line, then furl. Even in a very light wind you don’t want a big 130% Genoa wandering too far onto the dock or into a neighbours rig once it’s fully raised and still unfurled.

Make sure you leave adequate tension on the halyard between the swivel and the masthead. 

I find that just spraying a little bit of dry lube right into the luff groove entry point on the foil  and a couple of inches along the groove beforehand usually does the trick. 

On 5/7/2021 at 9:42 AM, Ishmael said:

To make it easier, I take a turn around the halyard winch then lead the halyard to one of the primaries.

I just started doing this.  It saves a lot of time since our primaries are 3sp winches (it might be the one useful thing that I've found to do with the high speed mode).

I assumed this thread was trolling, so it's interesting to see the serious responses.

On 5/7/2021 at 9:42 AM, Ishmael said:

Yes, the person feeding the sail sprays McLube on the luff line as it goes into the foil. There is a lot of friction on our older Furlex, so it needs a winch after the first ten feet. Solo, I attach the feeder below the foil and just grind it up. To make it easier, I take a turn around the halyard winch then lead the halyard to one of the primaries.

2 hours ago, Alex W said:

I just started doing this.  It saves a lot of time since our primaries are 3sp winches (it might be the one useful thing that I've found to do with the high speed mode).

I assumed this thread was trolling, so it's interesting to see the serious responses.

I love this!  I get about $400 to replace luff tapes.  They tear really easy when they get wedged in the feeder!  Costs me about $60 for the new tape, 15 minutes to remove the old tape, 15 minutes to staple the new luff tape in position, and 15 minutes to sew it up.  I can repair some luff tapes, but they’re never the same as new!  

On 5/7/2021 at 3:48 AM, European Bloke said:

For a short handed drop with big sails  it worthwhile to rig up a lazy jack 

unroll the Genoa , sheet in hard , rig the  leeward spi halyard ,  plus  a handy piece of rope , into a simple two leg lazy jack on the top of the lifelines 

keep this jack well forward ... near the luff 

Then drop the sail into a full length zipper sail bag 

if you don’t have a full length  bag ask to borrow one from the sailmaker 

they always have a pile of old bags 

much easier to handle and transport in a full length bag 

sailmakers hate bricks 

10 hours ago, slug zitski said:

For a short handed drop with big sails  it worthwhile to rig up a lazy jack 

unroll the Genoa , sheet in hard , rig the  leeward spi halyard ,  plus  a handy piece of rope , into a simple two leg lazy jack on the top of the lifelines 

keep this jack well forward ... near the luff 

Then drop the sail into a full length zipper sail bag 

if you don’t have a full length  bag ask to borrow one from the sailmaker 

they always have a pile of old bags 

much easier to handle and transport in a full length bag 

sailmakers hate bricks 

now is this with a furler that's the forestay and there's a seperate halyard for the jib?    

On 5/6/2021 at 11:23 PM, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

I had a prefeeder on a piece of line that I used to put sails up on my Bene when I had the furler installed. If you've got an extra dog bollocks kicking around it might come in handy. 

one o' these things.. Schaefer Sail Pre-Feeder, #6(5mm) Luff Tape 76-30

image.jpeg.45938970296e439878001e7e85cb0dbf.jpeg

image.jpeg.edb40a3be191228d338a623204915f60.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

well that was an easy $150...  old jib wasn't on, someone had taken it off and stuffed it into his cabin after a storm..   jib that the boat owner got was like 3-4 feet shorter than his old one he said...  anyway after figuring out how the previous install was a cluster fuck I got the new one installed and cleaned a few other things up,    boat was in sad shape, pretty dirty, water on the cabin floor boards (from a small leak near the swing keel trunck he said)  owner didn't have a clue what his previous jib sheets were so found some line that were probably his old sheets....  

basically a disaster waiting to happen...

• Like 1
On 5/10/2021 at 6:00 PM, Controversial_posts said:

It’s a boat project , so bound to take longer than expected and require 2 trips to West marine for simple parts that will later be found on board the whole time. Then you will break drop something in the drink and have to start over.

Updated from personal experience.

21 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Updated from personal experience.

I was extra careful with everything as the nearest WM was about 45 mins away...  the marina office had some hardware I was told, but didn't want to go there..