I started flying gliders during COVID as something to do while waiting for the restart of racing. Of course, I got sucked in and now I have two expensive competing interests. 

There's a gliding event that I want to go to, and it involves camping, since there are no hotels within reasonable distance and I suspect that the social scene will be at the gliderport, and not some Best Western 30 miles away. I have backpacked before - lots and lots of time on the trail - and I know how to pack 30lbs of gear and food for a week. But I have avoided car camping (since about 1990) and traditional camp sites (squalid nasty places with shared showers, unsupervised kids and dog, noisy boom boxes, drunk bellicose neighbors, loud fucking (and no invitation) ... and so on) ... so I don't have gear. 30 years later, what works well, what's crap. The climate is semi-desert. SUV.

4 minutes ago, Wet Spreaders said:

I started flying gliders during COVID as something to do while waiting for the restart of racing. Of course, I got sucked in and now I have two expensive competing interests. 

There's a gliding event that I want to go to, and it involves camping, since there are no hotels within reasonable distance and I suspect that the social scene will be at the gliderport, and not some Best Western 30 miles away. I have backpacked before - lots and lots of time on the trail - and I know how to pack 30lbs of gear and food for a week. But I have avoided car camping (since about 1990) and traditional camp sites (squalid nasty places with shared showers, unsupervised kids and dog, noisy boom boxes, drunk bellicose neighbors, loud fucking (and no invitation) ... and so on) ... so I don't have gear. 30 years later, what works well, what's crap. The climate is semi-desert. SUV.

are you buying gear?  I always thought these were a good idea https://www.napieroutdoors.com/shop/suv-minivan-tents/sportz-suv-tent/

justa decent tent but with a gusset that wraaps around the lift gate.  allows you to use the vehicle as storage, etc.  I think cabelas carries them.

Same shoes here. I bought an electric cooler. Runs off 110v or 12vdc. charges up the plates and you don't have water floating around in the bottom of the chest. I still use my tent and pad outside for sleeping though. Oh, and a 5 gal porta potty or the likes works well too. 

I see a lot of these rolling around. psst - sleep on the ground?:

https://cascadiatents.com/

Isn't it mandatory to own a Coleman stove? Hard to go wrong with these folks:

https://www.coleman.com/

Your local Cabela's should have a fully loaded camping section to find that perfect cast iron skillet! The only good memory I have of camping is cooking all breakfast items in the same skillet with an overly strong cup of coffee in hand and looking forward to getting the fuck out of there!

3 hours ago, Liquid said:

Your local Cabela's should have a fully loaded camping section to find that perfect cast iron skillet! The only good memory I have of camping is cooking all breakfast items in the same skillet with an overly strong cup of coffee in hand and looking forward to getting the fuck out of there!

My favorite ex, on our first date said, "I don't camp." She meant it.

Just now, Snaggletooth said:

Fun at taillegates..... butte totalley unneccessarey foire car campeng........                   :)

Agree, but OP is looking for something to foster "the social scene . . .  at the gliderport"                              :) 

Just now, stief said:
3 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Fun at taillegates..... butte totalley unneccessarey foire car campeng........                   :)

Agree, but OP is looking for something to foster "the social scene . . .  at the gliderport"                              :) 

OK, butte alcolholle and lingerie cane do alle that.......  maye I suggeste trivia games, and sponsorred raffelles......  oh yeahe, plenney alcolholle to....      :)

6 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

OK, butte alcolholle and lingerie cane do alle that.......  maye I suggeste trivia games, and sponsorred raffelles......  oh yeahe, plenney alcolholle to....      :)

Fine, then. Since money is no problem, put the boat on its trailer/semi, tow it to the glideport, and let the cockpit party begin.

As a serious answer, though, our upscale friends spent as much on a small camper ('glamping') as they did for their C&C. Way out of my league, but I could give him a call to find the model if glamping is a possibility.

Probably on of "these most popular vanlife options, from affordable outdoorsiness to glitzy glamping"

9 minutes ago, El Mariachi said:

4). And don't over think it. Seriously. It's like cooking the perfect chicken thighs....or masturbating....it's not as hard as some people make it out to be......:lol:

:)

Camping is just hoboing with better stuff. Don't complicate it with expensive crap you don't really need. Simple is better. Enjoy the experience.

• Like 6

Unless you are going to spend decent money on a proper compressor type electric chilly bin, don't bother. Those plate cooler things are a waste of time.  We biffed ours out and just got a decent size ordinary chilly bit.  Fill with ice cold beer before you go and you are done, or get ice from the Servo mid trip.

Sounds like you are in a good climate, don't need an expensive tent.  But get an air bed, cheap and comfortable.

Folding table and chairs are a must.

Basic Gas cooker.

That's basicly it.  Have fun.

As the veteran of 37 years of work “camping” and about 1/2 of it in a pickup......BMiller has it right. Don’t buy a lot of stuff. A good mat for the pickup/suv bed and a bag appropriate to the temperature and that’s 80% of what you need. (Oh and a good pillow....one of the luxuries of car camping is a pillow.....I lugged a pillow around the entire western US and it’s worth it.) Toss in a battery lantern, a cooler, some tunes and what else is there? Oh.....beer.....of course.  

Beer will chill down to about 25 degrees without freezing.  takes about 18 hours to get it that cold in our chest freezer.

line the bottom of a 48qt cooler with the beers just before you leave, put the rest of your stuff on top of the beer, fill with ice and two days later in hot weather you still have to chip some ice off the beer cans which are deliciously cold.

a coleman stove, a thermarest sleeping pad (air mattresses leak at the most unfortunate times), a decent tent and have at it.  it's not difficult.

• Like 1

The Reese hitch porta-potty is kinda key these days for me. That's not even for camping, just doing field chores.

I only went car camping once in my life, and that was just because it was raining so hard in the Blue Ridge mountains that even thinking about setting up the tent was a joke. As a matter of fact, every time I went camping with this particular woman, it rained like a mother fucker.

Clearly it was a sign.

• Like 1

2013 I towed me YACHT to Frisco for the last 1.5 daz of the Americas CUP

I did it BIG

I stayed in me Infinity QX4 w me YACHT on trailer behind in CostCo parking lot by Airport

Bought a Pizza and (don't remember what) something to drink

that was my food for the trip = Total less than $20

AllYaAll might remember others documenting my stay ( WSJ, NYT etc )

Oh and for the AC-45'z before that I stayed in me Infinity QX4 in the Park next to the AC Village

ya I cudda used another 3"-4" but WTF I Had a BLAST !!!!!

1 minute ago, El Mariachi said:

The coolest trick I learned decades ago? Fill up some 1/2 gallon or 1 gallon plastic milk jugs with tap water and freeze them (caps off). Then throw 'em in your ice chest in the morning before you leave. Should keep shit cold for at least 3 daze.....and the you still have shower or coffee water afterwards. Win win...

used to Freeze Cases of BUD for Ice

Old Skool Canz could take it

kept shit cold for at lest 3 daz

and you still have a shower or a Beer afterwardz

no one wants a shower from a processed Beer

@least NOT me !!

Get a nice big tent that you can stand up inside, REI Kingdome is a good one. Comfortable camp chairs. Stove with 2 burners. 
From their just grab the older stuff from your kitchen for cooking and eating supplies. Also add in a basic plastic tablecloth as the picnic tables can be a bit nasty. Don’t forget a big jug of H2O. 

16 hours ago, Wet Spreaders said:

I started flying gliders during COVID as something to do while waiting for the restart of racing.

I have the same two expensive sports, and luckily the most understanding wife in the world.  

When I camp at gliderports, I bring a 6 person tent that I can stand up in, because fighting your goddamn clothes on in the prone position is too much work.  A 6 person tent also allows me to spread all my shit around in the tent without it seeming cluttered.   You want all your shit in the tent, because it is often windy at gliderports, and you don't want your tent to blow away if a peg pulls out.

My tent has a vestibule, and that is nice because when you have been flying all day in your docksiders (nice because they give excellent feel on the rudder pedals) your dockies smell like dead animals.  You don't want them in your tent.  If they are in the vestibule where people can't see them, anyone downwind of you can only suspect that the smell is coming from you, they can't prove it.  A vestibule also lets you keep your cooler out of the sun.

Most importantly, you can't fly unless you've had a good sleep.  So, I have a 12" thick queen size air mattress, and I take three sleeping bags - one for the bottom, and two for the top, just in case it is cold and they are needed.  I open the sleeping bags up to full width and just sleep between them.  Don't forget your pillow.  Nothing worse that waking up and having to ground yourself because you realize you've slept for less than two hours.

If the gliderport camping area doesn't have cooking facilities, bring your campstove and cooler, and follow the advice above except for the blender part.  You do not want to be drinking heavily in the evenings if you are a pilot even if you stop early enough to meet the 12 hour rule.  One or two beers max is it.  Flying with a hangover is dangerous - you need your brain to be firing on all cylinders when you fly.  Flying can be quite unforgiving of mistakes. 

When flying a glider in emergency situation, would it be more safe to  bailout or to land in a forest? - Aviation Stack Exchange

Have fun!

• Like 2
13 hours ago, El Mariachi said:

amateurs, the whole lot of you.

FIIK , can't see no bush TV ...

7 hours ago, stief said:

You need a gas-powered tailgator

pussy

• Like 1

I use this, cost about $80 ten years ago and using it again next weekend at the AGPU.1601129313_Tailgatetent2.thumb.jpg.e793821e18dbcafc9f32135419db07aa.jpg

A piece of foam & sleeping bag in the back of the van & esky in the tent.  Uses the tailgate, no poles.

Take plenty of beer & a couple of bottles of whatever spirit takes your fancy, and a comfortable camping chair that you can easily carry around between parties.  I don't bother with food.  Walk around & share the spirits, everybody else over caters & can't give enough stuff away.

680051563_TailgateTent1.thumb.jpg.98a6521d356d022cd790652b77fb354e.jpg

1 hour ago, Rain Man said:

I have the same two expensive sports, and luckily the most understanding wife in the world.  

When I camp at gliderports, I bring a 6 person tent that I can stand up in, because fighting your goddamn clothes on in the prone position is too much work.  A 6 person tent also allows me to spread all my shit around in the tent without it seeming cluttered.   You want all your shit in the tent, because it is often windy at gliderports, and you don't want your tent to blow away if a peg pulls out.

My tent has a vestibule, and that is nice because when you have been flying all day in your docksiders (nice because they give excellent feel on the rudder pedals) your dockies smell like dead animals.  You don't want them in your tent.  If they are in the vestibule where people can't see them, anyone downwind of you can only suspect that the smell is coming from you, they can't prove it.  A vestibule also lets you keep your cooler out of the sun.

Most importantly, you can't fly unless you've had a good sleep.  So, I have a 12" thick queen size air mattress, and I take three sleeping bags - one for the bottom, and two for the top, just in case it is cold and they are needed.  I open the sleeping bags up to full width and just sleep between them.  Don't forget your pillow.  Nothing worse that waking up and having to ground yourself because you realize you've slept for less than two hours.

If the gliderport camping area doesn't have cooking facilities, bring your campstove and cooler, and follow the advice above except for the blender part.  You do not want to be drinking heavily in the evenings if you are a pilot even if you stop early enough to meet the 12 hour rule.  One or two beers max is it.  Flying with a hangover is dangerous - you need your brain to be firing on all cylinders when you fly.  Flying can be quite unforgiving of mistakes. 

When flying a glider in emergency situation, would it be more safe to  bailout or to land in a forest? - Aviation Stack Exchange

Have fun!

This

My latest Econoline. The first had fewer amenities, mainly just an old couch in back and one small window. 35,000 miles in just over 3 years.

IMG_2305.jpg.2702b9400428e0d9fbd18608d54fde07.jpg

• Like 1

I vote for air mattress now. I've made the progression from closed cell foam pad (teens-30's) to thermarest thicker self inflating foam (40s) to air mattress (50's).

Tents that attach to your car/truck whatever is weird. 

14 hours ago, El Mariachi said:

The coolest trick I learned decades ago? Fill up some 1/2 gallon or 1 gallon plastic milk jugs with tap water and freeze them (caps off). Then throw 'em in your ice chest in the morning before you leave. Should keep shit cold for at least 3 daze.....and the you still have shower or coffee water afterwards. Win win...

When provisioning for a big trip that will be primarily off the grid, I buy a number of gallon bottles of water from the local grocery store and ask them to freeze them in the deep freeze in the store's storeroom.  Open each of the jugs and pour out enough to account for the expansion when they freeze.  Come back the next day before we depart and use the frozen jugs for the first load of ice.  Usually we still have frozen water in at least one of the jugs a week into the trip.

This is the same trick Rico is describing, but using the store's freezer, as mine isn't big enough to accommodate more than one or 2 jugs. 

My covid lockdown project was to convert my old Iload into a camper van/surf trip van. Now I had always considered ‘tenting’ to be like being homeless but vanlife means not sleeping on the ground, and lots of cute vanlife chicks ask if they can see my ‘set up’. After much research I decided that keeping it simple and spending money on a good mattress was the key. It was a fun project and the child bride, the dog and I have been loving it. I am leaving on Monday for a 3 week 4000k round trip to do a few jobs in Sydney and Adelaide. 

10EC4A9F-122F-4B16-A2C6-AD36805B7833.jpeg

3BC147F2-062C-450E-9ACE-4D2052696567.jpeg

B4FE4486-0399-46BC-9E18-375CEABA751F.jpeg

• Like 6
12 hours ago, Ease the sheet. said:

This

14 hours ago, Rain Man said:

Yes, with a couple small differences. I got a cot with an integrated air mattress. Like sleeping at home (twin sized though) - then, a small beside table and a battery lamp. Those, combined with the 6 person stand-up tent makes makes it easier to get up, put on the sweats, and wander out to take a piss at 4am. 

2 hours ago, Raz'r said:

Yes, with a couple small differences. I got a cot with an integrated air mattress. Like sleeping at home (twin sized though) - then, a small beside table and a battery lamp. Those, combined with the 6 person stand-up tent makes makes it easier to get up, put on the sweats, and wander out to take a piss at 4am. 

Only a hipster puts on clothes to piss at 4am in the great outdoors.

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

That mabey true, butte dossente macke them a badde pearson..............                 :)

18 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

That would be rude in a Sailing Clubs grassy area with a functional toilet just 50 yards away...

3 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

That would be rude in a Sailing Clubs grassy area with a functional toilet just 50 yards away...

Indeed.

10 hours ago, Zonker said:

Zonk, I understand, but my dad built one that attached to the rear of a 59 Chevy station wagon to go from Michigan to the Worlds Fair in Seattle in 63. ?? Army duck canvas. Hot as hell. 1/2" EMT conduit for the frame. I got to sleep in the front seat at the age of 6ish. Ah memories of car camping.

16 hours ago, Zonker said:

Wouldn't say weird.  But most cars nowadays always seem to have something "on" when a door is open. even if you can turn off all the interior lights there is still the light on the dash saying a door is open.

I have this (maybe irrational) fear of draining the battery camping with a car door open.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, floating dutchman said:

Wouldn't say weird.  But most cars nowadays always seem to have something "on" when a door is open. even if you can turn off all the interior lights there is still the light on the dash saying a door is open.

I have this (maybe irrational) fear of draining the battery camping with a car door open.

A Honda e2200 gen in the cure for that. $1100. Ask me how I know. 

Contemplated this when the GC is stuffed with sailing crap...  The roof top ones look cool too, price is coming down.  Google machine had them under a grand...  

13 hours ago, chum said:

LB is definitely more domesticated than I imagined. 

That's minimalist camping by Oz standards.  Usually they bring a tent big enough for a circus, the fridge, couches, you name it.

11 hours ago, shaggy said:

Contemplated this when the GC is stuffed with sailing crap...  The roof top ones look cool too, price is coming down.  Google machine had them under a grand...  

What would be the top speed with someone sleeping up there? On a smooth road, of course.

• Like 1

I had a bedroom on wheels for 7 years and crossed the country 4 times in it.

enhance

I miss it a lot but every time I think I want to build another one I get turned away by the huge initial expense of a good used van. That one cost $2.5K new and fully outfitting the inside with carpet, bed, insulation, panelling, 110V, sound system and screens cost another $500.

Did the tent camping out of a car thing for a looooong time too but also graduated the discomfort scale when getting up off an air mattress got to be too much work and hiding in a dripping tent on rainy days sucx.

enhance

enhance

Picked up this beauty in NZ for about $2.5K NZ and had a great time in it, but you can't get a Hiace in this country until it's 25 years old or more...

enhance

The latest solution only cost about $5K (pre covid, so might be double that now) but you need a car that can tow about 3000 lbs to go with it. Covers the cooking, pooping, showering, keeping the beer cold and sleeping boxes nicely but really puts a kink in your fuel econ...

enhance

2 hours ago, bmiller said:

From several years ago, luxury car camping on the White Rim Trail.

i-qRdZZ5d-X2.jpgi-RccP9tf-X2.jpgi-4PqPJQQ-XL.jpgi-SjGcBsS-X2.jpgi-ftKZnQ8-XL.jpg

You will camp anywhere !!!

9 hours ago, DA-WOODY said:

You will camp anywhere !!!

That's the whole idea. Years ago it was easy to avoid people. In today's world you got to go far, far away to find solitude.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, bmiller said:

That's the whole idea. Years ago it was easy to avoid people. In today's world you got to go far, far away to find solitude.

1.5 miles from my house is Not Far :)

6 minutes ago, El Mariachi said:

Isla Fiesta?.....

Yep. I spent a couple nights there courtesy of woodys tax dollars!

Only problem there was one of those van-life jamborees going on the first night we got there. Complete with drum circles and other stupid shit.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, El Mariachi said:

Isla Fiesta?.....

Sea

1 hour ago, bmiller said:

Yep. I spent a couple nights there courtesy of woodys tax dollars!

Only problem there was one of those van-life jamborees going on the first night we got there. Complete with drum circles and other stupid shit.

They came for and never left after the last DEAD Concert at the Sports Aroma

On 5/9/2021 at 7:00 PM, El Mariachi said:

1). Join this group.

2). Learn shit.

3). Go camping.

4). And don't over think it. Seriously. It's like cooking the perfect chicken thighs....or masturbating....it's not as hard as some people make it out to be......:lol:

.https://www.facebook.com/groups/overlandexpedition/?ref=share

did some the other night,  marinated overnight in teriyake and grilled to perfection the next day...

• Like 1
On 5/12/2021 at 6:07 AM, Blue Crab said:

I'm still chuckling about the poster upthread who was bummed that all breakfast items were cooked in the same pan.

i-SjGcBsS-X2.jpg

That was me, the only thing I liked about camping was cooking everything in a single pan. Cooking eggs and potatoes in the bacon grease is yummie!

My ex loved camping even with kids in diapers and why not, she never raised a finger to help me. 

3 hours ago, Liquid said:

That was me, the only thing I liked about camping was cooking everything in a single pan. Cooking eggs and potatoes in the bacon grease is yummie!

My ex loved camping even with kids in diapers and why not, she never raised a finger to help me. 

Oops. Misread.