well shit. 

RIP

• Like 1

I remember a Chi Mac race with my 4 knot SB being off Racine working the left side shoreline when Helmut passed us. He looked over at us and said " keep it going, you guys are doing well" . Made me feel good to have someone like his program recognize a competitor like me. 

• Like 6
11 hours ago, Afrayedknot said:

Best owner I ever sailed for... Having some wine tonight for him. 

My younger son was part of the Flash crew for over a decade. He would entirely agree. HJ was a most generous and thoughtful owner.

Great guy...but wow on a bike at 81, can only hope I can do that as well.

Fantastic programs and always willing to chat....

Sail/Ride on well!!!

I met Helmut back in the 80s when he had a NY-36 called Turning Point.  Not sure which of the Considine’s (Horizon Sails) recommended to Helmut to bring me up from Connecticut to do the Chicago Mack Race.  But it was a great time.  My first Mac and with one of the nicest, most gracious boat owner I have had the pleasure of dealing with. 

RIP Helmut 

1 hour ago, George Hackett said:

I met Helmut back in the 80s when he had a NY-36 called Turning Point.  Not sure which of the Considine’s (Horizon Sails) recommended to Helmut to bring me up from Connecticut to do the Chicago Mack Race.  But it was a great time.  My first Mac and with one of the nicest, most gracious boat owner I have had the pleasure of dealing with. 

RIP Helmut 

Never met Mr. Jahn but remember the name and program from years of Macs, NOOD events, etc. Fair winds and condolences to family, friends, associates and crew. 

Have to assume it was Jim Considine in 80’s (father). I went to college with Mike in 80’s, think Pat is few years older. Though Mike and Pat were fairly accomplished even then. They run UK loft now (Chicago/Midwest USA sailors know, but if you’re overseas you might not be aware).

13 hours ago, George Hackett said:

RIP Helmut 

Think the NY-36 was called Rapid Transit - gray w/ red WL and bootstripes. And yes, it would have been Jim, as Pat is about my age and would have been in college at the time, and Mike was in HS - I think this was early 80's when there were a number of NY36's around,