J/80 Mast-Deck Penetration Setup

Hi there,

We are taking delivery of a mint 2002 J/80 today and will be commissioning it in a couple of weeks. In setting up the mast after stepping, centering, and setting up with base shroud tension, the next step is inserting the mast wedges/chocks. The original J/80 setup guide from the manufacturer suggests wedges/chocks only aft and forward of the mast. Is this accurate and no side wedges/chocks are needed? We have a flexible collar that will fit over the area and then we will seal that with "tape".

"Tape" I am assuming is probably a good rigging tape, appreciate any suggestions here also.

Thanks!

• AClass USA 230 changed the title to J/80 Mast-Deck Penetration Setup

On both my J-80's I have had side chocks.  Maybe you don't need them, but it doesn't make sense not to secure it side to side.  It eliminates a variable and will keep it from impacting the sides of mast collar.

On a more important note, this is the main entry point for rain water, so your boot and sealing strategy matter!

My US Watercraft j80 has a ring/bushing that slides up from the bottom of the mast.  It has to be installed before the mast is stepped and then a rubber boot that covers the bushing and keeps water out.

I can send you some pics, message me if you want.

Our boat was delivered with what looks like a rubber bushing/collar material that is cut to a length of probably 8-10 inches. It looks like it will only go around a portion of the mast. I need to trial fit on the mast section tomorrow to see how much it covers. We do have a rubber boot that is on the mast that can slide over the bushing material and then we would add tape over that.