Repainting Awlgrip, hull and deck, when?

21 year old wood composite boat (schooner Creek COVE construction), Awlgrip hull and deck- is there some sort of objective criteria that indicates it’s time to repaint?  Or is this just more a matter of how ratty the Awlgrip gets?  Also thinking of putting some fake teak on the deck- non skid pretty much isn’t anymore, so any experience/ recommendations?  

if there are some existing threads on this?  Couldn’t figure if this belongs in Gear Anarchy or sailing Anarchy.

Awlgrip lasts about 20 years unless it is abused through abrasion. If it looks good but you want to repaint, it’s a good substrate for more Awlgrip, rolled and tipped or sprayed. You can also consider a spray acrylic like Awlcraft2000. It can be wet sanded and touched up if damaged and is very easy to work with if you have any knowledge of spraying paint. 

No advice with faux teak decking. You will have to sand the non-skid smooth to apply the material as you would for Kiwi grip or another non -skid alternative. 

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Amati said:

If the Awlgrip looks good, it is good?

Probably.

The Flag Blue Awlgrip on my downeast powerboat is 14 years old. It has been patched in here and there where I bump into things. It still cleans up well using Awl Wash and then treating with Awl Care, which is a pretty miraculous combination for keeping Awlgrip surfaces looking good.

The wide Awlgrip teal cove stripe on my old 40' cutter still looks good after 25 years, using the same care regime while I owned the boat.

If it is adhering and isn't fading or peeling, don't do anything but take care of it. Why look to spend money?

Re synthetic teak, a friend had the teak decks on his 72' Farr removed and replaced fake teak, since the teak decks were pretty worn after years of trying to keep it looking like new. 

The fake teak deck looks like...a fake teak deck. It also adds a far amount of weight if you are putting it on top of an existing deck surface, rather than removing an old teak deck and putting fake teak down in its place.

There are a number of new proprietary non-skid deck coatings, like one from Total Boat. I haven't used any of them, but that's where I would start if you are unhappy with what you have. It's a lot easier to paint over a deck coating than it is to remove a fake teak deck if you become disenchanted with it.  Cheaper, too.

• Like 1

repainted my awlgrip hull with Alexseal last month.

The flag blue paint was 37years old.

Just worn out with scratches and small dings.

Ditto the rig in Matterhorn white, but the surface of that had started to break down and was getting a rough feel to it.

Suggest buffing with Awlcare with polisher with a foam pad.  If it does not come up looking good in your eyes, you know it is time to repaint...

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

Awlgrip lasts about 20 years unless it is abused through abrasion. If it looks good but you want to repaint, it’s a good substrate for more Awlgrip, rolled and tipped or sprayed. You can also consider a spray acrylic like Awlcraft2000. It can be wet sanded and touched up if damaged and is very easy to work with if you have any knowledge of spraying paint. 

How does the longevity on Awlcraft 2000 compare to the OG Awlgrip?

About the same. Awlgrip developed the product to complete with the other acrylics like Alexseal. It is easier for an amateur to spray and develops a high depth of image when buffed out. I’ve used it on several boats since 2014 and the boats look the same now as when freshly sprayed. 

• Like 1
20 hours ago, accnick said:

The fake teak deck looks like...a fake teak deck.

You certainly get what you pay for: some faux teak looks great / can't tell the difference while others look like linoleum.

Getting samples and looking and feeling them is key.

• Like 1

I was looking at a new French boat a while back that had a faded kind of honey color fake teak for the deck, toe rails, hand rails etc, and it looked good, even though it was obviously fake. An intriguing aesthetic step. But then, Awlgrip is ‘fake’ too. 
https://www.flexiteek.com/flexiteek-2g/colours/

Might have been this

1BB21E80-4098-4DC0-AD13-065E1CF6D4AC.jpeg

Bolidt makes a great faux teak. The first time I saw a sample at a trade show I thought it was real teak just selling the substrate, finally had to "scratch and sniff" and when there was no teak smell figured out it was fake.  The vendor laughed and said he could tell who did a lot of teak/wood working because they always smelled the sample and could tell the fake from the real sample.

Awlgrip is good as long as it looks good. On our steel yachts we repaint every five years but that's for appearance (loss of gloss) and as the paint become more porous it's harder to keep up "yacht standard" shine.

My C&C 115 is 16 years old and is painted with Black Awlgrip.  Other than the normal dock scratches and dings, it looks great.  I wash the hull twice a year in the Fall and Spring with Awl Wash, and in the spring I apply Awl Care. 

1976600339_IMG_0962(1).thumb.JPG.90dc0b4547c9f899d71a76ee98fbdac4.JPG

On 5/11/2021 at 9:46 AM, Amati said:

I was looking at a new French boat a while back that had a faded kind of honey color fake teak for the deck, toe rails, hand rails etc, and it looked good, even though it was obviously fake. An intriguing aesthetic step. But then, Awlgrip is ‘fake’ too. 
https://www.flexiteek.com/flexiteek-2g/colours/

Might have been this

1BB21E80-4098-4DC0-AD13-065E1CF6D4AC.jpeg

And a lot of these mfgrs/suppliers already have the templates for various boats on file so you don't have to make templates yourself and send them in. Plasdeck for instance has my 10R / 34.7 templates.

OK, not to out a buddy, but he's had his 53 year old boat just painted this last winter, is roll/tipping the house this week and kiwi-gripping the deck this weekend. So, somewhere between the 18 years above and 53 years is likely the range:

IMG_2160.thumb.jpeg.045dabf5ce7fd864c553906cfd886bca.jpeg

38 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

OK, not to out a buddy, but he's had his 53 year old boat just painted this last winter, is roll/tipping the house this week and kiwi-gripping the deck this weekend. So, somewhere between the 18 years above and 53 years is likely the range:

IMG_2160.thumb.jpeg.045dabf5ce7fd864c553906cfd886bca.jpeg

Dark hull no less!  :lol:  Awlgrip might have an infinite lifespan!  This would be, of course, excellent.

1 hour ago, Parma said:

And a lot of these mfgrs/suppliers already have the templates for various boats on file so you don't have to make templates yourself and send them in. Plasdeck for instance has my 10R / 34.7 templates.

The perils of commissioning a custom boat ^_^

On 5/11/2021 at 11:33 AM, Sail4beer said:

Fake teak on a wood boat? Hmmm, that’s funny!

It’s COVE construction: the contradiction is built into the sandwich.....;)

• Like 1
On 5/10/2021 at 3:37 PM, Zonker said:

Yes, if it looks decent don't fuck with it.

Sage advice for so many things. But people gotta fuck with shit...

We have Awlgrip AWL D8008-1 ULTRA HI WHITE and it is now beginning to fail after 21 years, time for a full repaint here in New Zealand. One quote was $48,500nzd the other $12,000... go figure?