Flat bumpers, any experience with them?

I saw that Antrim’s new Carbon 27 was using them, and if they don’t leave any ugly marks, that’d be great.  Marina has current, winter wind storms, regular ferry traffic ( Slow down? We don’t need to stinking slow down!) wood composite hull.

1 hour ago, Amati said:

I saw that Antrim’s new Carbon 27 was using them, and if they don’t leave any ugly marks, that’d be great.  Marina has current, winter wind storms, regular ferry traffic ( Slow down? We don’t need to stinking slow down!) wood composite hull.

They look like lightweight steamrollers to me 

I don’t understand their purpose 

the typical 6 unit set of  sausage fenders plus a pair of round fenders are the recommended tools 

Keep the fendes covered to prevent UV from burning and softening the rubber 

its this burnt rubber that leaves marks on your topsides

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, slug zitski said:

They look like lightweight steamrollers to me 

I don’t understand their purpose 

the typical 6 unit set of  sausage fenders plus a pair of round fenders are the recommended tools 

Keep the fendes covered to prevent UV from burning and softening the rubber 

its this burnt rubber that leaves marks on your topsides

Stuff grows on covers at an alarming rate-  there’s always a string or crinkle or something touching the water, and within a couple of weeks it’s a science project.  Looking for something that isn’t a sea farm.

They look more like gardening or mechanics flat knee pads to me. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=foam+gardening+knee+pads&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-gbUS696US696&oq=foam+gardening+knee+pads&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i22i30l3.14506j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

We use big square flat fenders on one boat I race on. (51 footer).  I think they work really well.

• Like 1

Not worth it. The only time it is wortwhile is against pilings, and instead I found better to us a 3ft 1x4 board that I positioned over a couple of normal fenders. That took a lot less space than the folding flat boat fender.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Amati said:

? Kinder industry big boat fender 4” 3’ by 2’

B64860A7-AF17-43B3-9AA2-5898905069AA.jpeg

That's the one, or similar.

Seen in use  here.

flat fenders (2).jpg

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

Seen in use  here.

flat fenders (2).jpg

Thanks!  (Nice boat- what is it?) I notice there are round bumpers on the dock.  Do the square fenders ride up if they tag the dock, say, coming in?  Or do you put them on once you’re in?  Hull flare (very similar to the pic) is the issue with our boat.  Can’t see a dock from the helm/throttle controls, especially a low-ish dock.  Something about a skinny bow and a wide flared stern.  Even when we get experienced help coming in, the bow gets pulled in way too much, and the stern swings out.  It must be an optical illusion of some sort...  with a current 4’ under the dock where you can’t see it, and 8.5’ of draft, it gets weird.  

The ones from outils oceans are nice, but it's a pain getting anything from them. I don't have any problems with riding up as long as they are hung at the right height.

IMG_1646.jpg

• Like 1

I have the Harken L shaped fenders and I like them but wish I had gotten the flat fenders as the docks at Charleston were so low that the L had a tough time getting low enough.  I just bought a pair of the SeaDek flat fenders for the Melges 20.  Man are they light.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Hitchhiker said:

Seen in use  here.

flat fenders (2).jpg

Is that Fast Exit II?

On 5/10/2021 at 6:30 PM, Amati said:

Maybe I'm wrong but it looks like the flat fenders are very, well, flat. 
While they may keep the topsides off the dock wall, I imagine a normal round fender will absorb the shock of the boat slamming into a dock wall or pontoon much better as are much more compressible. 

1 hour ago, MiddayGun said:

Maybe I'm wrong but it looks like the flat fenders are very, well, flat. 
While they may keep the topsides off the dock wall, I imagine a normal round fender will absorb the shock of the boat slamming into a dock wall or pontoon much better as are much more compressible. 

Boils down to a semi rigid inflated fender maybe with a fabric cover that gets all sorts of grit vs a flat fender that has a squishy(?) foam and fleece next to the hull to dissipate point loads.  It’s not so much slamming into the dock wall as it is the boat going up and down, rubbing the boat against the dock as the ferry waves wash through the marina.  The ferry wake slamming the boat against the dock is more at Otter Bay and Deer Harbor.  Then there’s wind storm direction that pins the boat into the dock, and rubs the boat against the dock, again, up and down.  Which can pop a round fender up and out, or worse, pop it, and then it deflates.  When it’s cold, like high 30’s low forties (Fahrenheit), the round fenders get really stiff and rigid.  And when they pop and deflate, the ends become hard disks scraping the hull.  Alberta’s pic with what looks like 3 flat fenders stacked sideways at the bow looks like great idea and kind of begs the question of one square softish fender.  (Maybe Velcro tabs to keep them in place?  Not against hull...) Especially for those of us with light wedge shaped hulls. That move a lot more that a traditional hull with a D/L over 300. But maybe a square would ride (blow in the breeze?) up and pop over the dock?

The ads tout joining the edges of the flat fenders creating a curtain along the hull- has anyone tried that, or is that a motorboat thing?  

7 hours ago, WCB said:

I have the Harken L shaped fenders and I like them but wish I had gotten the flat fenders as the docks at Charleston were so low that the L had a tough time getting low enough.  I just bought a pair of the SeaDek flat fenders for the Melges 20.  Man are they light.

Length is the killer- too long, and they turn into a bio experiment, too short, they ride up on top of the dock.  Do the light ones blow around a lot in a windstorm?  I’ve seen our heavy blow up fenders wind up over the lifelines in +60 mph windstorms.  The reason we stopped using covers was one 70+ mph windstorm down at Shilshole that shredded a cover, popped the fender, and then swung like a pendulum against the hull for a few hours in cold weather.  

4 hours ago, Amati said:

Length is the killer- too long, and they turn into a bio experiment, too short, they ride up on top of the dock.  Do the light ones blow around a lot in a windstorm?  I’ve seen our heavy blow up fenders wind up over the lifelines in +60 mph windstorms.  The reason we stopped using covers was one 70+ mph windstorm down at Shilshole that shredded a cover, popped the fender, and then swung like a pendulum against the hull for a few hours in cold weather.  

I hear you on the length.  We keep the fenders out of the water by tying them appropriately.  The wind in Miami was up pretty much the whole time and we had no trouble keeping the Melges 24 safe but that was gunwale to gunwale so the Harken L fenders were perfect.  In general, the L fender is great as it prevents the fender from slipping too low except when you're at a very low dock.  That said, I think that they did a good job at Charleston.  It was nice that we didn't have to raft up to anybody but the rafting is where the L fenders are the best.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Amati said:

Thanks!  (Nice boat- what is it?) I notice there are round bumpers on the dock.  Do the square fenders ride up if they tag the dock, say, coming in?  Or do you put them on once you’re in?  Hull flare (very similar to the pic) is the issue with our boat.  Can’t see a dock from the helm/throttle controls, especially a low-ish dock.  Something about a skinny bow and a wide flared stern.  Even when we get experienced help coming in, the bow gets pulled in way too much, and the stern swings out.  It must be an optical illusion of some sort...  with a current 4’ under the dock where you can’t see it, and 8.5’ of draft, it gets weird.  

No they don't.  But, this slip is pretty sheltered in flat water.

The boat is a modded Ker (IRC) 51.

Crappy i-phone pic.

FE2.jpg

1 hour ago, Hitchhiker said:

No they don't.  But, this slip is pretty sheltered in flat water.

The boat is a modded Ker (IRC) 51.

Crappy i-phone pic.

FE2.jpg

Nice

3 hours ago, stief said:

Flat bumpers can also double as cockpit cushions.          :)

Or a cockpit table if you have fat enough ones 

IMG_1817.thumb.jpg.4289590f9371cc5cbb29aa519290116a.jpg

• Like 2

I use discarded boogie boards that the leash has pulled out of, cut them in half longitudinally but tied to the dock, not the boat. Cheap, cheap cheap and wont scuff.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Alberta said:

Or a cockpit table if you have fat enough ones 

IMG_1817.thumb.jpg.4289590f9371cc5cbb29aa519290116a.jpg

Who made those?  Can’t make out the tag.

2 hours ago, Amati said:

Who made those?  Can’t make out the tag.

Outils Oceans https://www.outils-oceans.com/

They supply most all of the French boats but like many of the small Bretagne sailing manufacturers, have no clue how to do business internationally

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Alberta said:

Outils Oceans https://www.outils-oceans.com/

They supply most all of the French boats but like many of the small Bretagne sailing manufacturers, have no clue how to do business internationally

Cool,  found it-  (my French is nonexistent) it looks like they use polypropylene for inside the fender- pool noodle foam?   Would that make sense?  Most of the flat fenders here are using soft Aires foam.  I’ll have to find some pool noodles and beat them up...

21 minutes ago, Amati said:

Cool,  found it-  (my French is nonexistent) it looks like they use polypropylene for inside the fender- pool noodle foam?   Would that make sense?  Most of the flat fenders here are using soft Aires foam.  I’ll have to find some pool noodles and beat them up...

The padding is ~10cm thick sheets of dense foam - much stiffer than a pool noodle. The Outils fenders have very little give in your hand and my boat is light enough that I don't see any noticeable compression between the hull and dock in normal conditions. @jsam31 at Sailutions can get you some in the US if you're interested.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Alberta said:

The padding is ~10cm thick sheets of dense foam - much stiffer than a pool noodle. The Outils fenders have very little give in your hand and my boat is light enough that I don't see any noticeable compression between the hull and dock in normal conditions. @jsam31 at Sailutions can get you some in the US if you're interested.

Thank yew vurry much.  Very cool boat, BTW :wub:.  Foils!  If there weren’t so much crap floating in the water up here I’d be tempted.  But for now, having a forward raked 8.5’ keel is a commercial grade kelp catcher as she is.

Thank you, honestly the foils are easy to keep clean with the right tool. It's still the keel (and to a less extent the rudders) that make kelp annoying.

21 hours ago, Amati said:

Thank yew vurry much.  Very cool boat, BTW :wub:.  Foils!  If there weren’t so much crap floating in the water up here I’d be tempted.  But for now, having a forward raked 8.5’ keel is a commercial grade kelp catcher as she is.

Ok. Now you need to post a pic of your. Boat with the keel showing.

8 hours ago, Hitchhiker said:

Ok. Now you need to post a pic of your. Boat with the keel showing.

81F39DDA-C317-45C4-AD28-76573A17E352.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1