Sailing venues with non-sailing foot traffic

Looking for suggestions for cities/locations around the world that have a lot of public foot traffic in an area around a harbour/access to dinghy launching facilities. 

For those have been there, the once which comes to mind for me is RMYS in Melbourne. Heaps of people walking in and around this area, but also situated on a beach where dinghies can be launched. 

Let's hear some ideas!

Corpus Christ Texas USA.  Has the worlds largest bayfront ideal for showcasing boats and racing.  Served as one stop on the 1990s Ultimate Yacht Series.  Warm and windy 10 months year.  Ramp launch inside marina with beach launch available immediately next door to marina.  Long time windsurfing and catamaran venue.  Has CCYC known for hosting world series annually.  2019 was Etchell's Worlds, 2021 J22 World, 2022 J 24 Worlds, etc.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/27°47'40.9"N+97°23'24.8"W/@27.7947047,-97.3924137,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m6!3m5!1s0x0:0x0!7e2!8m2!3d27.7946998!4d-97.3902246

Kitsilano and Jericho beaches in Vancouver. Take your pick, Jericho SA, Kits YC or the RVYC for the big spenders. JSA is the best if you want to have a kayak or whatever for the windless day. 

Miami, several locations. Coconut Grove (Regatta Park, etc), Virginia Key Beach / Hobie Beach, Miami beach all through Hollywood & Ft Lauderdale(ie: beachcat launch into moderate surf, as done for Worrell 1000, Florida 300). 

Some nice beaches around Auckland NZ (ie: Mission Bay). Oriental Parade in Wellington NZ - cannot recall the name of the yacht club there.

8 hours ago, martin 'hoff said:

Oriental Parade in Wellington NZ - cannot recall the name of the yacht club there.

Pretty sure you mean Royal Port Nicholson Yacht Club. :) 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Bruce Hudson said:

Pretty sure you mean Royal Port Nicholson Yacht Club. :) 

Indeed. Sailed out of there as crew plenty times but the name was slipping my mind. But I got the wins (as crew) on a boat docked by the wind needle. 

Depending on what is meant by "intense foot traffic", I'd suggest Days Bay. Or, looking further afield, Tairua is a great venue for a regatta.

Back to FL, Red Bull runs their Foiling Generation event out of Hobie Beach on Virginia Key - everyone runs/bikes/walks there; or just goes to the beach. We run informal cat races there once a month. It's a great spot: https://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2018/11/04/field-complete-red-bull-foiling-generation-finals/ 

• Like 1

@greenwhiteblack -- say more about what you're thinking of... there's more places -- Punta del Este in Uy, Mar del Plata in Argentina, Paracas in Peru. 

Some spots have tricky tradeoffs. Might be in a spectacular location to sail right in front of folks on a promenade, but the launching spot is awkward, or the wind/wave conditions bad... 

All great suggestions so far - thanks everyone! Anybody got some ideas for locations in the UK/Europe? 

2 hours ago, martin 'hoff said:

@greenwhiteblack -- say more about what you're thinking of... there's more places -- Punta del Este in Uy, Mar del Plata in Argentina, Paracas in Peru. 

Some spots have tricky tradeoffs. Might be in a spectacular location to sail right in front of folks on a promenade, but the launching spot is awkward, or the wind/wave conditions bad... 

I'm considering ways in which the sport can improve it's product and attract more media attention - particularly Olympic class sailing. We have an obsession in this sport with going to 'traditional' venues which, while they offer great sailing and lots of history in the sport, aren't necessarily the most ideal venues commercially. For example, Palma and Hyeres - both of these sailing venues are just 'down the road' from tourist meccas, but we continually select out of the way harbours to host our regattas. The counter example to this is a regatta like Kiel Week (at least pre Covid), when you can attach a festival to a sailing regatta,  and you get a lot of non-sailing foot traffic, you have a recipe for bringing in sponsors and a bigger budget for media, prizes etc. which can help to promote our sport and make it bigger on a global scale. 

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, greenwhiteblack said:

All great suggestions so far - thanks everyone! Anybody got some ideas for locations in the UK/Europe? 

I'm considering ways in which the sport can improve it's product and attract more media attention - particularly Olympic class sailing. We have an obsession in this sport with going to 'traditional' venues which, while they offer great sailing and lots of history in the sport, aren't necessarily the most ideal venues commercially. For example, Palma and Hyeres - both of these sailing venues are just 'down the road' from tourist meccas, but we continually select out of the way harbours to host our regattas. The counter example to this is a regatta like Kiel Week (at least pre Covid), when you can attach a festival to a sailing regatta,  and you get a lot of non-sailing foot traffic, you have a recipe for bringing in sponsors and a bigger budget for media, prizes etc. which can help to promote our sport and make it bigger on a global scale. 

Cool. In Miami, Regatta Park is great both for festivals and for, ahem, regattas. Similar things with the other locations I've named.

Europe - Barcelona - la Rambla  Cowes looks like a great spot.

Many spots, if you race where it's very visible for expectators the winds are shifty, irregular, and it's not great racing for the sailors. You can schedule exhibition races. But then have most of the points be raced in the good racing spot...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, greenwhiteblack said:

Have roller skating break dancers sail. That will make the Olympic execs happy.

14 hours ago, Rum Runner said:

Have roller skating break dancers sail. That will make the Olympic execs happy.

Ha I'm sure that would. My goal would be to make sailing self reliant enough that we don't need to include events like that...

• 2 weeks later...