Rig-Rite still sucks, in case you were wondering

christ it's amazing these guys have been in business so long.

Called to ask if they could order parts to fit an extrusion not listed on their site. Lady put me on hold mid-sentenc, came back 3 or 4 minutes later to bark "I already told you the answer to that" and then hung up on me while I was apologizing for the confusion and trying to ask a follow-up.

I will say that when I emailed my question I did get a knowledgeable, useful response pretty quickly - but after that phone call I'll be doing my utmost to avoid any further contact with them in the future.

Did you call around the same time as AJ? 
Could have been an honest misunderstanding in that case

• Like 6

I've never understood RigRite's business model.

They list all sorts of esoteric things on their site (a new Kenyon gooseneck casting for my 80s Ericson?  Cool!) but they don't EVER actually have the things for sale.  

And that's assuming they ever answer the phone, which they usually don't.

I don't get how they stay up and running.  It can't be sales-volume....

On 5/10/2021 at 6:16 PM, Breamerly said:

christ it's amazing these guys have been in business so long.

Called to ask if they could order parts to fit an extrusion not listed on their site. Lady put me on hold mid-sentenc, came back 3 or 4 minutes later to bark "I already told you the answer to that" and then hung up on me while I was apologizing for the confusion and trying to ask a follow-up.

I will say that when I emailed my question I did get a knowledgeable, useful response pretty quickly - but after that phone call I'll be doing my utmost to avoid any further contact with them in the future.

That lady is frekkin' terrible. Just last week I called to ask a few basic questions about a specific type of mast tang they carry and got the same treatment. Hate giving them my money, but no better alternative.

On 5/10/2021 at 10:47 PM, sledracr said:

I've never understood RigRite's business model.

They list all sorts of esoteric things on their site (a new Kenyon gooseneck casting for my 80s Ericson?  Cool!) but they don't EVER actually have the things for sale.  

And that's assuming they ever answer the phone, which they usually don't.

I don't get how they stay up and running.  It can't be sales-volume....

I've never actually ordered anything from them. Mainly because their reputation is so horrible, BUT I do use their website often. It is a great resource to see what a part looked like when new, what it is actually called, and who made it. 

Given how useful they've been in that regard, I'd be happy to actually buy something from them, if I could actually find something I needed in stock or could actually get it ordered. Oh well. 

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, Slick470 said:

I've never actually ordered anything from them. Mainly because their reputation is so horrible, BUT I do use their website often. It is a great resource to see what a part looked like when new, what it is actually called, and who made it. 

Given how useful they've been in that regard, I'd be happy to actually buy something from them, if I could actually find something I needed in stock or could actually get it ordered. Oh well. 

This. Their terrible customer service experience has pushed me away from buying stuff from them even if I've really wanted a part they have. Instead, I find alternatives. It must be nice to have so secure a monopoly that you can continue to exist by relying solely on the naive and the desperate. 

I did place my first order ever with them a couple weeks back for a new Harken traveller track with the old 4" hole spacing.   Paid, shipped, arrived.

• Like 1

I ordered a mast hinge from them two years ago.  Called several times to follow up and was assured it was on the way.  They took my cc number and things.

Hinge still hasn't showed up.  Got one from another rigging shop, then sold the boat.

Maybe it will show up next week.

On 5/10/2021 at 6:51 PM, markwbird said:

Sounds like she thought you were someone else.

Why should that even matter?

Sorry, I know customers can become taxing. They are only trying to find help solving their problem in reality.

If a business or an emplouee of a business can't wrap their head around that, they should find another field, like prison guard.

On 5/12/2021 at 1:55 PM, toddster said:

Sounds like a shop set up for wholesale or business-to-business sales.  Retail customers are a pesky annoyance.  

My local boatyard made ME call them to get parts for a repair they were doing for me.  Apparently the markup isn't worth the hassle, so b2b isn't their strength either.

I didn't even think Rig-Rite was a merchant, thought they were just a collector of rigging shit that liked showing off.

i ordered something last fall - after a call and an email...

it went fine - got the part

i think it was a bit complicated - you can't just buy a part.., i had to get a quote first and then respond to the quote.

this was for about a $65 spin pole ring for the mast

they definitely have stuff nobody else has

I think someone should pitch them an offer to buy their entire inventory and turn it into an actual business instead of a trash heap on the internet.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, Ajax said:

I think someone should pitch them an offer to buy their entire inventory and turn it into an actual business instead of a trash heap on the internet.

Why would any sane person get mixed up with the marine trade?

You'd have to have too much patience, time, and money on your hands for such a venture.

On 5/10/2021 at 8:44 PM, Rain Man said:

Classic money-laundering operation.

This is the best explanation. When I was looking around to replace my standing rigging I looked at their website. It looks like a brochure from the 19th century and was completely unhelpful and mostly dysfunctional. They have a phone number but no email. Instead they list a fax number. I am not kidding you. What customer is still sending a fucking fax???

I went with Rigging Only. Good website and knowledgeable folks that quickly answered my questions.