Taking Oxycodone to Mexico

Delivering a boat from Mazatlan to Northern CA. Wife just had foot surgery and doesn't need the Oxycodone and some sort of anti nausea medicine (which would be the likely most used.

The Meds are in her name. We have the same married name (and have been so for ~35 years). What is the risk of taking these in case of injury or seasickness (most likely). Don't want to get in trouble with DEA od San Diego customs.

Comments?

Using prescription medication prescribed for another person is illegal.    The controlled substance aspect could make it a felony.   Your explanation, if caught, is a good way to get the boat seized.    Customs in some countries can require login names for social media accounts found in your browser history.   You just confessed.    

edit.   If you want emergency pain drugs get lidocaine.   At least you can still work the boat.   

Not worth the trouble. If you want that kinda stuff in the med kit on your boat. Get your physician to write some prescriptions for the boat owner and put them in your med kit. Chances probably pretty slim that anything would come of what you want to do, but why risk it? 

afterthought: you're also better off having some broad spectrum antibiotics in there than pain killers :)

Oxy in Mexico is a good way to spend your golden years in a Mexican prison...is that your retirement plan?

Thanks. Not going off the boat. At home; not going anywhere near the boat.

24 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

So, the wife is Mrs Caca Cabeza? Or did she wisely keep her own name?

He did say that they have the same married name. I would assume that means she is Mrs. Cabeza....

6 minutes ago, basketcase said:

He did say that they have the same married name. I would assume that means she is Mrs. Cabeza....

Righto. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Caca Cabeza said:

She is Mrs. Cabeza.

Ah ... so she doesn't speak Spanish.

Now I get it but there will be hell to pay when she finds out she is Mrs. Shithead. Even Mrs. Head isn't all that complimentary.

Nobody has suggested asking El Moran.

I'm sure he's up on all the procedures there.

taking-oxycodone-to-mexico (shall I do it?)   

Well, that depends on whether or not you are a man of the Reich. 

If you are, I say go for it. 

@SloopJonB  BTW, a gent I sail with was declared "persona non grata", likely permanently, by Canadian border officials. 

He was driving across at Buffalo, NY and had his girlfriend's prescription meds sitting out in the open in the back seat. 

He mistakenly thought it would be OK. 

Tough town you got there !!  

(But I understand that the US side started that crap, and y'all are just doing the "tit for tat" thing.) 

On 5/10/2021 at 5:35 PM, Caca Cabeza said:

Delivering a boat from Mazatlan to Northern CA. Wife just had foot surgery and doesn't need the Oxycodone and some sort of anti nausea medicine (which would be the likely most used.

The Meds are in her name. We have the same married name (and have been so for ~35 years). What is the risk of taking these in case of injury or seasickness (most likely). Don't want to get in trouble with DEA od San Diego customs.

Comments?

Unless they are in your name then why??  I was on oxy for 15 yrs after hip surgery.  Just kicked it, but traveled extensively while on it with no probs.  Always carried a pic of the script on my phone, but doing that with someone else's script is just dumb.  

Slightly different case:  I've been sent home with a bottle of pain pills a few times after various mishaps and procedures and almost never used any of them.  Prescription labels are in my name, but they are all years old.  I've been keeping them around, "just in case."  Trouble?  If you have a prescription "for the boat" does it expire?

Actually, decoding the brand names, there are some very old codeines and rest all seem to be valiums.

14 hours ago, darth reapius said:

All the best stuff in life is

Oxycodone is far, far from the best stuff in life. 

My wife was on Oxycodone for a hip replacement gone septic.  Really, truly painful.  Really needed pain control.  But hated the Oxycodone brain fog so much she couldn't stand it and stopped taking it.  Ended up in the ER in withdrawal, and with a 3 month hospitalization to get clean of the shit.  

In the end, she said she just should have accepted the pain and never taken a single pill.

Fuck the Sacklers.

Oh, and don't cross an international border with illegal drugs.  Unless you really don't like your boat.  I've seen more than a couple chained to the dock.  

On 5/10/2021 at 7:35 PM, Caca Cabeza said:

Comments?

The typical scenario is that the controlled substance , the drug , must be prescribed to a person and that this person must be on board 

If it’s a shipboard medical kit drug it must be declared in the captains name 

it you google MCA ships medical declaration you can find the relevant  forms for ships medical supplies 

the USCG must have a similar form for drugs , controlled substances 

ALWAYS  DECLARE THE CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE 

In general I find controlled substances a pain in the ass and do not carry them in the ships medical kit 

Some people might find oxycodone addictive, I just found it useless. IMHO there are far better pain killers to be had, both narcotic and non-narcotic. I have got it from doctors two or three times now, it seems to be the only narcotic they want to prescribe. It all ended up in the trash, I found Advil+Tylenol to work better for me. This used to be DIY, but you can buy the combination pills now.

IMHO it seems to combine shitty pain killing compared to other narcotics with being highly addictive for some people.

Prescribed and part of Ships med kit, not loose and declared and stronger oxycodone incl IV not a problem anywhere. Some may impound on clearing in up until clearing out if not a regular med need. 

1 hour ago, silent bob said:

Most of it is really Fentanyl, which will kill you!  

100 x times more powerful than morphine and available in scaled dose patches easily done at sea. I have some in Emergency Kit for when say an electric winch decides to rip someones arm off or similar.

Also handy currency if you run out of money so sell some to the local drug dealer. :o

You have my permission.  Tell us how it goes.

Oxy will do nothing for seasickness.  I prescribe the stuff.  People often throw up their toenails.

After abdominal surgery I got offered Oxy at one point. Great crazy dreams and did feel high for a few hours. Then it wore off to some degree.

But the pain relief was not as good as Hydromorphone which was steady pain relief.

Had a friend who happened to be a Pre-Op nurse I met just before the surgery. She had good advice "you're not going to get addicted. Don't be a hero. Take your pain drugs"

31 minutes ago, Zonker said:

After abdominal surgery I got offered Oxy at one point. Great crazy dreams and did feel high for a few hours. Then it wore off to some degree.

Hence the name Hillbilly Heroin.