This is gonna be good or a total disaster

First impression was--total leech off the cruisers for a nanny-boat with supplies and accommodation.

Apparently not totally:

The refit process has already begun.. her existing deck is being ripped off and she's going to be lengthened from 16' to 22' approx. and then her pedal drive (arriving in a few weeks) will be installed.. the goal being to fully enclose her before winter and "fine tune" her appointment through the winter.

Nothing is set in stone but my goal is to offer you, the sailboat owner, 500$ per month with a per- diem landfall bonus and a circumnavigational conclusion Bonus/ Balloon Payment. You'll also be covered for any berth fees, visa fees, and taxes/ charges unseen such as~ but not being limited to things like canal passage fees (the route proposes to pass through the Suez Canal, the Corinth Canal, and the Panama Canal).

Well, there are those who rowed across the Atlantic in shorter boats, and he's not planning a Great Cape route, so not totally impossible.

Thanks for the dreamin', best wishes, but no thanks.

Perhaps good entertainment.  Disaster inevitable.   He thinks he can pay someone with a sailboat $500/month to support the expedition with an unspecified per diem.  I bet people are lining up around the block for that kind of pay.   And, oh yes, we are going offshore with support crew who are not sailors.  That's going to end well.  On top of that, he wants the boat owner to assist with marketing, or as he calls it, "outreach".  

45 minutes ago, Rain Man said:

Perhaps good entertainment.  Disaster inevitable.   He thinks he can pay someone with a sailboat $500/month to support the expedition with an unspecified per diem.  I bet people are lining up around the block for that kind of pay.   And, oh yes, we are going offshore with support crew who are not sailors.  That's going to end well.  On top of that, he wants the boat owner to assist with marketing, or as he calls it, "outreach".  

He's not looking for a 'paid' support crew, he's looking for a collaborator in the project. On that basis $500/month plus unspecified bonus's makes a lot of sense. Offer too much and you will get someone who wants to do this for the money, which is unlikely to be a good fit.

I have read about plenty of expeditions that started with less than this. But they all then spent a chunk of time raising funds to make it happen. He seems to be giving himself 2 years to get this together, which seems reasonable.

If rowers can do ocean crossings, then a pedal power boat should be able to circumnavigate. No way to tell from the information he's put out so far if this is a legitimate attempt at something, or a waste of time.

But.. I am confused (as usual).  How is this showing sustainable travelling around the world?

Would this be like me swimming across the world?  With a fleet of tenders following me as 'support' vessels?  I've seen channel swimmers with their support boats.  I understand the reason for safety... but kind of removes the amazingness for me...

When Jeanne Socrates sailed around the world solo, as the oldest person `(77 year old woman) circumnavigating non stop she had no support boats, no fleet following her... like a helicopter parent...

Some of the rowers across the Atlantic also went by themselves, no support fleet. 

The chaps that crossed the Atlantic on an Open Hobie 18 Catamaran did it without any support fleet.

I understand the attraction of having the support fleet... but.. for me it kind of defeats the purpose...

I am waiting to be educated... ;)

I posted that idiot on Mocking Ctaigslist when he popped up.

As I said there - any bets on him even making Port Angeles, let alone Neah Bay?

Wonder how many cruisers will email him and offer to rendezvous at the Canal. 

Nah, such a project wouldn't be 'sustainable.'

Presumably the sailboat(s) would need to sail with a storm jib only, and 10 drogues in order to 'keep up' with him

4 hours ago, See Level said:

At least he has a chart<_<

I wonder if he checked the scale on it?

144739306_3657531947672588_8468048950500636512_n.jpg

Or the pirate ratio?  Maybe sailboats might be a bit naive?  At least in certain places.

35 minutes ago, Amati said:
5 hours ago, See Level said:

Expand  

Or the pirate ratio?  Maybe sailboats might be a bit naive?  At least in certain places.

That route takes him right past DFG doesn't it?

hmmm.jpg

5 hours ago, See Level said:

Which way is he planning to go? He mentions "the route proposes to pass through the Suez Canal, the Corinth Canal, and the Panama Canal"  so those are not in any sort of order. If he is going east he will pedalling against the trades but with westerlies going south of Oz. If he goes west he will have favourable trade winds but will be going uphill agin the westerlies. Could it be that he has no idea what he is doing? I have seen a couple of the cross-ocean rowing boats. They are very purposeful and the rowers know what they are doing. This guy ...

2 hours ago, Autonomous said:

I'm thinking North of Australia would be more entertaining for us.

Isn't that where the big croc's are?

12 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Isn't that where the big croc's are?

2 hours ago, LB 15.1 said:

I hope this guy does it and puts you negative ass wipes to shame.

Mostly coming from a nautical background here, I think the ridicule is justified.

Big ideas and dreams are great, but anyone worth their salt can see he needs to do some basic seatrials before realising that this is a terrible idea and likely to end with a rescue or fatality.

and yes, there is precedent.

https://www.iol.co.za/capetimes/news/pedal-boat-setback-adventurer-to-try-again-1969389

• Like 1

I'd like to know what his FTP is - if that is a current picture I doubt it is even 150.

1hp is 746w

Here is some numbers to think about . Top level pro cyclists can put out about 400-450 w for an hour. so  a bit over 1/2 a horsepower.  Those same pros can sustain about 250 w for 10+ hours at a time ,about 1/3 of a hp. 

Top level ultra endurance cyclists will ride across a continent for weeks averaging around 200w. 

As a reasonably fit non competitive cyclist I can maintain 220w for an hour ,and 150w all day.

Lets say this guy can sustain200w all day and night (needing to rest on a boat I imagine) how fast will that propel him in the thing he is converting? 2kn?

Maybe he should start small ,like across the local bay , up the local creek etc

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, brenny be b said:

1hp is 746w

Here is some numbers to think about . Top level pro cyclists can put out about 400-450 w for an hour. so  a bit over 1/2 a horsepower.  Those same pros can sustain about 250 w for 10+ hours at a time ,about 1/3 of a hp. 

Top level ultra endurance cyclists will ride across a continent for weeks averaging around 200w. 

As a reasonably fit non competitive cyclist I can maintain 220w for an hour ,and 150w all day.

Lets say this guy can sustain200w all day and night (needing to rest on a boat I imagine) how fast will that propel him in the thing he is converting? 2kn?

Maybe he should start small ,like across the local bay , up the local creek etc

Pedal power is pretty close in efficiency to oar power. Different studies give different conclusions about which is better, but they are certainly similar.http://ruina.tam.cornell.edu/research/topics/locomotion_and_robotics/oar_efficiency.pdf

Rowing across oceans is now being done on a regular basis, and there is at least one attempt to row round the world happening.

Also he has given himself 2 years before starting this attempt, so its probably too early to assume he isn't planning some reasonable sea trials before the main event.

I have no idea if this particular attempt is flaky nonsense,  but I don't see anything in principal  that make this any less reasonable than rowing around the world.

Good or total disaster? Who says those are mutually exclusive? This will be like watching NASCAR just a bit slower. 

He could use one of these. The cat model seems to move alright

https://wavewalkerboats.com/shop

all of a sudden it might seem not  so crazy.

check out this luxury pedal power boat dude reckons 3kn is possible in his tub . Not sure what happened(edit:vegan excuses brah)

Then you got these mad dawgs

• Like 2

Who can calculate how much power the water maker needs to make enough water for the amount sweated out each day, and how many hours of pedaling this power need will take?

He was a friend of mine in high school, I haven't actually talked to him in years but follow him on IG. He's been building to this for a while and he may actually get started on the voyage, no idea his chances of completing the first leg though. 

Wow. This dude scores high on the Reid-Rimas-Mighetto scale. Just the "Model Search" section of his website makes me want to see this guy go further.

Oceancyclist.com - Model Search

Application disclaimer:

"I'm about to start producing "documentary" video footage of a Boat Refit for OceanCyclist.com and am in need of "Walk- On" talent. This will be similar to Pamela Anderson's walk- on character from the 90's Sit- Com show "Home Improvements" with some variations in costuming. As such, attire will be "scimpy," topless and/ or nude (pending interest and age). Is this something you would be interested in?"

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, darcycraig said:

He was a friend of mine in high school, I haven't actually talked to him in years but follow him on IG. He's been building to this for a while and he may actually get started on the voyage, no idea his chances of completing the first leg though. 

We see what you did there.

I am about to start rebuilding my Boat.. it's a small 16' kayak- ish mini boat right now and I'll be cutting it in two in order to grow it to about 22' before adding in the pedal drive and closing in the cabin entirely....

I think I'd take him more seriously (... er... probably not a lot more... but more...) if he was just planning to build his vessel from scratch. Looking at pictures of his "mini boat" and considering that he's planning to "[cut] it in two"...

There are plenty of YouTubers who could build a proper, ocean-going 22-foot craft that's actually designed to be enclosed and driven by pedal-power in not very much time at all and make the project trend at the same time.

18 hours ago, bridhb said:

What would really suck is if he beat the sailboat to the destination!

that would be like richard hammond winning one  of their Top Gear races on a bicycle whilst the Stig, James and Jeremy drove McClarens

Clearly you guys have no idea what's going on these days in the rapid growth sector of human powered propulsion.

11 minutes ago, Xharlie said:

I think I'd take him more seriously (... er... probably not a lot more... but more...) if he was just planning to build his vessel from scratch. Looking at pictures of his "mini boat" and considering that he's planning to "[cut] it in two"...

There are plenty of YouTubers who could build a proper, ocean-going 22-foot craft that's actually designed to be enclosed and driven by pedal-power in not very much time at all and make the project trend at the same time.

it's all about recycling and sustainability! building anything from scratch increases the carbon footprint LOL

24 minutes ago, HypnoToad said:

Wow. This dude scores high on the Reid-Rimas-Mighetto scale. Just the "Model Search" section of his website makes me want to see this guy go further.

Oceancyclist.com - Model Search

Application disclaimer:

"I'm about to start producing "documentary" video footage of a Boat Refit for OceanCyclist.com and am in need of "Walk- On" talent. This will be similar to Pamela Anderson's walk- on character from the 90's Sit- Com show "Home Improvements" with some variations in costuming. As such, attire will be "scimpy," topless and/ or nude (pending interest and age). Is this something you would be interested in?"

We should all apply, get @VWAP to supply "our" photos.

24 minutes ago, HypnoToad said:

Just the "Model Search" section of his website makes me want to see this guy go further.

Looks exhausting

289074162_ScreenShot2021-05-12at8_59_46AM.thumb.png.055947cc4aa1d32fdefb2e2310677782.png

7 minutes ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

it's all about recycling and sustainability! building anything from scratch increases the carbon footprint LOL

You're bang on the money, there. Once he's done his enclosing job and carbon-fibre reinforcements and wot not, it will capture a lot more carbon under-ground when he land-fills it.

Don’t forget that all these trans-ocean rowers usually have winds from astern and 1 to 2 knots North Atlantic current pushing them. AFAIK no one has done it west-to-eas. 

9 hours ago, LB 15.1 said:

You obviously don't understand the difference between negativity and realism.

6 minutes ago, 10thTonner said:

Don’t forget that all these trans-ocean rowers usually have winds from astern and 1 to 2 knots North Atlantic current pushing them. AFAIK no one has done it west-to-eas. 

Yep, human powered ocean crossings are primarily assisted drifting. If he's got a route that follows prevailing wind and current then all is well, but otherwise it could be a very long trip.

1 hour ago, darcycraig said:

If his first leg is past the mouth of Juan de Fuca I'd put them at zero.

7 minutes ago, JimC said:

Yep, human powered ocean crossings are primarily assisted drifting. If he's got a route that follows prevailing wind and current then all is well, but otherwise it could be a very long trip.

Yup. A while back some fleet of rowers left from here for a trans-pacific rowing thing. The distinguishing feature of all the rowing craft was extreme windage. Laughable. They had almost re-invented the Spanish Galleons. Pack enough food and water...simply snooze the whole way to Hawaii. Fuck rowing.

• Like 1

These kinds of stories never get old.

So, save me having to look through shit, he comes from a maritime/endurance/mechanical/technical background?

Nothing like starting small, if I ever get crazy thoughts like this, I go for a swim or a row, maybe a paddle, just to remind myself how truly sticky water really is.

The Canadian Coastguard could have a whip round now and buy the guy an hour with a Pedalo, it will save many scarce global resources from the eventual rescue.

What if i live on and launch my pedal boat from a mega yacht, go pedal for a couple of hours when the sea state is to my liking, then go take a shower, eat, drink, watch a movie, and have a good nights sleep and repeat it for the next ten years. (not forgetting that my crew checks the pedaling gear every morning and changes parts as necessary) Would i be qualified as the first person to circumnavigate pedaling?

15 hours ago, Dark Cloud said:

Presumably the sailboat(s) would need to sail with a storm jib only, and 10 drogues in order to 'keep up' with him

Yes. 

Proper ocean going rowboats are generally self righting. The thing is his backyard doesn't look like it will be a good starting point.

19 hours ago, bridhb said:

What would really suck is if he beat the sailboat to the destination!

19 hours ago, Hitchhiker said:

Someone contact Rimas.

Well. that would make the first issue a moot point.. :)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:
10 hours ago, LB 15.1 said:

Kinda reminds me of AJ and his glorious quest.

11 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:
1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:
10 hours ago, LB 15.1 said:

Kinda reminds me of AJ and his glorious quest.

At least they're trying. :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Exactly.

This guy would have a lot more credibility if he at completed at least some sort of voyage already.  A successful R2AK would go a long way to establishing credentials.

Every time we see one of these inexperienced dreamers (Tin Can, Hot Rod) the result in inevitable.

Contrast that with a guy I know who decided to sail solo non-stop around the world.. but only AFTER he had completed several solo voyages in the Pacific first, and was a hugely experienced offshore sailor and navigator.

Either way he goes, his proposed route includes extended stretches going against the prevailing winds and currents.  That alone indicates that he has no clue what he's doing.

4 hours ago, darcycraig said:

What are his endurance athletics chops? Has he done ultra-marathon/triathlons or multi-thousand mile bike rides or . . . . . .?

I'm sure this is theoretically possible, but it would take someone with a quite high endurance and pain capability.

If you wanted to 'human power circumnavigate', I'm quite sure the most efficient way, most likely to succeed would be to to plan it for the most possible road bike miles on paved roads and do the minimum water possible.  I dont think the panama cannel will allow him to pedal-boat thru the canal so it is not going to be 'pure' in any case and he is going to have to do that section some other way.  And some of his 'planed' water legs are upwind - which is damn hard.

One less lunatic in the world when disaster strikes. I hope not one dollar is spent or one life endangered in the inevitable rescue attempt.

• Like 1

Love the irony of many sailors all doom-and-gloom about going offshore. Haven't we all heard why it's crazy?

Where's the news in posting that much can go wrong? The fascination will be how he might make it work.

Looks like he's upped the ante recruiting cheesecake. Talk about a hard row to ho. Or Rio.

LOL

Say what you will about his odds, but this guy isn't shilling a Patreon or angling for corporate sponsors, and seems genuinely motivated to prove a point about human power. Okay, I'm definitely biased because I like bikes. But this dude is a hell of a lot more sympathetic to me than 99% of the sailing vloggers flogging patreons out there. I'm not that invested in watching people faff about the tropics on a $500,000 catamaran but this guy is trying to do something interesting and different.

Esoteric human powered efforts walk a thin line between insanity and setting world records.

A human powered circumnavigation is the equivalent to doing 11.5 Tour De France races.

I enjoy chasing human power records out at Battle Mt Nev, but it's a one and done in minutes

I cannot imagine the physical and mental demand a human powered circumnavigation would take.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FAzcEPMi14

PL.Coyote.jpg

don011.jpg

Wasted too much time trying to read through everything on the oceancyclist.com website. Total disjointed ramblings. Dude has issues.

Logic leads me to think it's all a ploy to get attention, money and get laid. Who doesn't? Obvious really.  

Anyway, if he really goes forward with this project, he is the perfect subject for anyone looking to study the Dunning-Kruger Effect. 

1 hour ago, HypnoToad said:

Anyway, if he really goes forward with this project, he is the perfect subject for anyone looking to study the Dunning-Kruger Effect. 

Hell, you don't even have to leave this place for that.

There's material aplenty right here for a graduate thesis in Dunning-Kruger

• Like 2

So, wait, he's looking for babes who don't mind being nude to glam up his circumnavigation, presumably the video part.  On the model search page he talks about "Party in the middle of the Ocean(s) on the Floating Party "barge""  So, he's out there pedaling away on his experimental boat, and the skipper of the "party barge" is hanging out partying with the babes. 

The cyclist isn't going to be cycling his boat.  He's on the party barge getting the next video ready, and grabbing some of that pussy.  Actually, none of that is ever going to happen, this is just one very fucked up fantasy.

YCMTSU.

I just realized that I know a person like this, and recently made the mistake of agreeing to help with a project.  This person got a bit upset when I pointed out that there was no storyboard for the video that was going to be made.  Then when said person decided that a fundraiser was what was needed next (the video was about environmental responsibility) I said I didn't want my name used on the project anymore because I had understood it to be a volunteer project.   Last I heard, I was told "if I want your advice I'll ask for it".  Glad to be out from under that one.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, estarzinger said:

What are his endurance athletics chops? Has he done ultra-marathon/triathlons or multi-thousand mile bike rides or . . . . . .?

I'm sure this is theoretically possible, but it would take someone with a quite high endurance and pain capability.

If you wanted to 'human power circumnavigate', I'm quite sure the most efficient way, most likely to succeed would be to to plan it for the most possible road bike miles on paved roads and do the minimum water possible.  I dont think the panama cannel will allow him to pedal-boat thru the canal so it is not going to be 'pure' in any case and he is going to have to do that section some other way.  And some of his 'planed' water legs are upwind - which is damn hard.

I don't think the upwind legs are hard, I think they are impossible since there will be a foul current too that might be as fast as he could pedal.

Like you said: If one was serious about it, from the top of my head: ride a bike from American east cost to Alaska. Wait for the right weather window and row to Siberia. Ride bike through Asia and Europe to Gibraltar. Row to North Africa. Then a short bike trip to Casablanca. From there, row to the Canaries and join the transatlantic rowing regatta  to the Caribbean.
Every leg has already been done by someone. It just takes a person crazy enough to combine them all together. 

20 minutes ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

I don't think the upwind legs are hard, I think they are impossible 

I agree that pedalboating into 20-25kts for any significant distance is probably not doable. But I have done all these legs, and you do get weather windows which would make them more possible - would be a waiting game - and on some of them there is a 'super close to shore' option that mitigates wind and current. 

But I agree with the general thoughts in some posts above, that looking at his website I rather doubt this is the guy who will do it.

On 5/12/2021 at 3:22 PM, brenny be b said:

He could use one of these. The cat model seems to move alright

https://wavewalkerboats.com/shop

all of a sudden it might seem not  so crazy.

check out this luxury pedal power boat dude reckons 3kn is possible in his tub . Not sure what happened(edit:vegan excuses brah)

linked this crazy earlier.

they made it about 30nm.....remember this is a guy using a model plane prop for propulsion

The boat was handling strong Cape Seas, 40 knot winds & 4-6 metre swells but the pedal system just couldn't beat the conditions as we tried to push further West & out to sea. We were both sea sick. I managed to eat & drink a bit, also reminding my mom to do the same.
Eventually after 8 hours of pedaling from departure & becoming very fatigued, trying to get further West, I deployed the Sea Anchor & was then at the full mercy of wind directions. Initially the South Easter wind was blowing us westward out to sea, but the change to a South wind began to push us North & towards the coast. After being on sea anchor for the night & following day, all we could do was wait.
My mom was suffering from chronic sea sickness, she suggested we call for help but I told her this was to be expected & give it another day or two before we call for help, but my thoughts at the time were that we wouldn't need help because we would be pushed back to shore & either beach the craft or call for a tow when much closer to land.
I had been very preoccupied with managing the boat & had neglected updates to home, as I assumed the live tracking device would be sufficient. My mom then called Chanel & because they hadn't heard from us directly for over 24 hours & noticed we were drifting way of course, they called NSRI to come find us. I was completely oblivious to any rescue efforts, as my mom & I lay hunkered in the boat waiting to see what the weather did, not feeling the need for rescue as we felt safe in the boat, uncomfortable, but safe. Never did it feel like a life threatening situation, so there was no need for a rescue.
After the call to home & being told that there is a boat looking for us, I decided that seeing as the boat was near & that we were drifting closer to Dassen Island, I asked if we could get a tow & also tend to my mom.
Initially we were being towed back to CT, but the conditions were getting worse, so the boat was then taken to Dassen Island, with my mom & I then returning to Cape Town with the NSRI crew as I knew that we won't be able to get off the Cape anytime soon & some changes have to be made. My mom also reached her breaking point, which I can understand because she was experiencing terrible sea sickness.
The reality is that with these adventures, especially if it's something that hasn't been done before, there are going to be challenges & set backs. Fortunately I have pulled some vital information from this experience, can now make some adjustments. I will miss my window period for departure, so have to encounter a delay & hopefully be ready to pedal the Atlantic at the end of this year.
Thank you for all the support, encouragement & a big thank you to Chanel, Chris, Shaun & the NSRI for their great work. The work the NSRI do is amazing & all funded from donations, a sterling team!

needless to say he never tried it again

https://web.facebook.com/DaveyduPlessis/posts/783330675132311

Evans S correctly remarked chances of being allowed through Panama are rather dim, most probably zilch, but what about Suez? at least overthere he has one thing going for him : unlikely that he pulls an Evergreen on them ... as for Corinth ?  those Greeks at the entrance are rather serious but then in greece anything can be fixed if you know the right guy whose uncles know the cousins of the guy whose father in law is the man giving the orders, so all good.

all that of course on the proviso that he would ever get there, which is highly unlikely, but hey, could be another funny long thread, GO THE  PEDALMAN !!!

On 5/13/2021 at 6:21 AM, HypnoToad said:

I'm just glad I don't have to put this much energy into trying to get laid.

With emphasis on the "trying".

"We need a futile gesture at this point".

On 5/12/2021 at 2:45 PM, estarzinger said:

um, does this guy look like he has athletic chops?

msa_self022.jpg

On 5/12/2021 at 10:42 AM, 10thTonner said:

I believe the first ones did, over 100 years ago. New Jersey to Europe. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Cruisin Loser said:
On 5/12/2021 at 11:42 AM, 10thTonner said:

I believe the first ones did, over 100 years ago. New Jersey to Europe. 

Yes, I reade that booke to...............    greate stuffe!                  :)

5187V6RGZ5L._SX286_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

On 5/12/2021 at 12:21 PM, Omer said:

What if i live on and launch my pedal boat from a mega yacht, go pedal for a couple of hours when the sea state is to my liking, then go take a shower, eat, drink, watch a movie, and have a good nights sleep and repeat it for the next ten years. (not forgetting that my crew checks the pedaling gear every morning and changes parts as necessary) Would i be qualified as the first person to circumnavigate pedaling?

That depends, you could well be... Send pics of your crew's tits for evaluation

FB- Doug

On 5/13/2021 at 11:13 PM, estarzinger said:

... But I have done all these legs, and you do get weather windows which would make them more possible - would be a waiting game - 

Sure, even the trades are not a constant thing, but these weather windows you speak of are not that particularly long in terms of rowboat crossing pace... Pacific Ocean rows have taken nearly a year (!) continent to continent, Atlantic varies from a couple of months to six... And if he fixed the route to what's mapped, then there is no shore hugging to minimise current effects. 

East to West on the large oceans looks doable in trade wind season, the bit below Australia is theoretically feasible as you can beat the W'ly system there- but he would be completely screwed when winds reversed as there is no harbours for shore hugging, etc and that is long enough passage to take months...so in practice, no.  Then heading north into the Red Sea??? Forget the politics and pirates, not going to make progress against that wind, (from what I've read on that area anyway)! 

On 5/13/2021 at 2:01 AM, Borracho said:

Yup...The distinguishing feature of all the rowing craft was extreme windage. Laughable. 

Exactly, the evolution of ocean rowing boat design is fascinating full stop.. almost a spiral of auntie rowing this from it's early days to the modern proper boats! 

The first transatlantic crossing a century ago (mentioned here above) was basically a Dory, rowed by guys who worked the type fishing and knew what they were doing- toughed it out and  made it downwind to England. Wasn't really tried again until the 1960s and 70s. Mostly those early boats were Dory-derived, but some of these crazies enlisted great designers - Uffa Fox and Colin Mudie - who added the obvious self-righting features of buoyancy 'blisters' bow and stern, along with other details. 

More and more people attempted, failed and succeeded at different oceans before that organised Atlantic race became a thing. The standard of designs had sort of coalesced by then so Atlantic Race kit boats (distributed to all entrance to make things fair!) incorporated all the essentials: lowish decked bow area with wet storage under for ropes & sea anchors, rowing cockpit in the waist, bulbous aft cabin (the self righting buoyancy) for sleeping accommodation and dry stuff - because that was supposedly where the least motion would be. With the move away from independent free spirits rowing oceans to groups of competing racers a funny thing happened: there were all sorts of finger pointing and accusations of cheating from various teams... Mostly about putting up to much windage therefore living their vessel away from a standard design. Winners of One race wete subject to analysis of photos of how their solar panel could be flipped up vertically- which people said happened out of sight of land and cameras...!

Then a few races/years on the one-design concept was abandoned and people brought in much sleeker, longer craft. eventually about 10 years ago, some genius (?) came up with a reversal of the original layout: low slippery Stern and bulbous bow with internal accommodation. By bulbous I mean really enormously big- with a flat bulkhead aft end and having a little projected verandah around the sides and top (a bit like an Open 60 monohull cockpit set up in reverse). Became a mega wind scoop plus being in the bowel get things nicely feathered downwind. Major controversies... because his single-handed rowing times were way faster than anyone else, even better than two handed Rows. Surprise, surprise. Now, if you look at most of the latest ocean rowboat iterations, this is the standard design! Pretty much a complete admission of defeat that you're not going to row Up wind across an ocean. In fact in the entire history of ocean rowing nobody has ever made an upwind passage. The east and west crossings of various oceans have all been in the favorable wind lattitudes.

Complete contrast to sailing long distances, it wasn't long into the 'heroic age' of single handed circumnavigations before someone tried the uphill nonstop trip...

• Like 1
7 hours ago, mightyhartley said:

Exactly, the evolution of ocean rowing boat design is fascinating full stop.. almost a spiral of auntie rowing this from it's early days to the modern proper boats! 

The first transatlantic crossing a century ago (mentioned here above) was basically a Dory, rowed by guys who worked the type fishing and knew what they were doing- toughed it out and  made it downwind to England. Wasn't really tried again until the 1960s and 70s. Mostly those early boats were Dory-derived, but some of these crazies enlisted great designers - Uffa Fox and Colin Mudie - who added the obvious self-righting features of buoyancy 'blisters' bow and stern, along with other details. 

More and more people attempted, failed and succeeded at different oceans before that organised Atlantic race became a thing. The standard of designs had sort of coalesced by then so Atlantic Race kit boats (distributed to all entrance to make things fair!) incorporated all the essentials: lowish decked bow area with wet storage under for ropes & sea anchors, rowing cockpit in the waist, bulbous aft cabin (the self righting buoyancy) for sleeping accommodation and dry stuff - because that was supposedly where the least motion would be. With the move away from independent free spirits rowing oceans to groups of competing racers a funny thing happened: there were all sorts of finger pointing and accusations of cheating from various teams... Mostly about putting up to much windage therefore living their vessel away from a standard design. Winners of One race wete subject to analysis of photos of how their solar panel could be flipped up vertically- which people said happened out of sight of land and cameras...!

Then a few races/years on the one-design concept was abandoned and people brought in much sleeker, longer craft. eventually about 10 years ago, some genius (?) came up with a reversal of the original layout: low slippery Stern and bulbous bow with internal accommodation. By bulbous I mean really enormously big- with a flat bulkhead aft end and having a little projected verandah around the sides and top (a bit like an Open 60 monohull cockpit set up in reverse). Became a mega wind scoop plus being in the bowel get things nicely feathered downwind. Major controversies... because his single-handed rowing times were way faster than anyone else, even better than two handed Rows. Surprise, surprise. Now, if you look at most of the latest ocean rowboat iterations, this is the standard design! Pretty much a complete admission of defeat that you're not going to row Up wind across an ocean. In fact in the entire history of ocean rowing nobody has ever made an upwind passage. The east and west crossings of various oceans have all been in the favorable wind lattitudes.

Complete contrast to sailing long distances, it wasn't long into the 'heroic age' of single handed circumnavigations before someone tried the uphill nonstop trip...

i linked this earlier, but still have some queries.

take an ocean rowing boat, drop the freeboard in the middle and call it a SUP. same downind vibe though. problem was he went from morocco to florida but ended up in antigua and called it a day there. 

He's at it again with the same boat, but now modified to become a "wingfoiler". I have some serious doubts around the physics, and there's no sea trials and the queries i sent got evaded with answers about the cause and haters missing the point.

a)how does a boat that's going 2/3 knots "foil"  

b)what's the route san fran=> hawaii like, downwind and with current? obviously steering becomes a issue when you are relying on wind to point the boat.