Mini Stick Computer

Anyone ever tried using one of these as a nav computer on a boat?

China Portable Mini PC computer stick Win 10(64 bit)/Intel Atom X5 Z8350  CPU dual band wifii on Global Sources,MINI PC,MINI PC portable,portable mini  pc

tempted to try fucking around with one with OpenCPN

Can't remember enough unix to get very far with a raspberry pi.

43 minutes ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

Anyone ever tried using one of these as a nav computer on a boat?

China Portable Mini PC computer stick Win 10(64 bit)/Intel Atom X5 Z8350  CPU dual band wifii on Global Sources,MINI PC,MINI PC portable,portable mini  pc

tempted to try fucking around with one with OpenCPN

Can't remember enough unix to get very far with a raspberry pi.

So yer gonna run windoze on that????  You don't have to know much unix to get a Linux gui and opencpn running on that or a raspi.

3 hours ago, robalex117 said:

Interesting but why don't you get an inexpensive laptop unless you are just doing it for a challenge.  

part challenge, part I like the the idea of how much less power that is likely to draw then  a cheap laptop. less real estate consumed on limited horizontal surfaces.. a number of reasons why it might be cool.

I've done it with an R-Pi and if I put my mind to it I'll probably end up going that route.

Trying to find a low draw monitor as well.. 

really just curious if anyone else had tried one

Have used compute sticks a fair amount at work a few years back, digital signage, environment monitoring for systems that required Win 7 then later Win 10. Biggest limitation we saw was lack of memory for Windows. We did not need to connect many peripherals, but the devices are starved for io ports as well. We took a few and moved them to Linux, and that worked far better for apps that could run on Linux. I would choose a Nuc if W10 was a requirement or a raspi 4 if Linux can work. I think either would be far better than a compute stick.