Never sailed a symmetric kite 105 but raced a symmetric rigged 122 and also raced against a 97 and 99 l and the setup works well. A 105 might roll a bit more but can’t see why it shouldn’t work

J105 is a dog, the deep mode rocked to weather sucks. I think you are on the right track and sym spinnaker with a j length pole will help the rating and let you sail ddw.  Win win all around the 105 need like 40 knots tws to plane so it should just sail ddw 

You can sail a J105 DDW with the sails set up wing-on-wing. It takes a little practice and it's probably not stable enough to manage in any kind of seaway, but it works on SF Bay. We do it every time we jibe in heavy air - jibe the kite first, get the boat stable and then, in leisurely fashion, jibe the main. Less chance of a roundup in > 25kts breeze.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, stinky said:

There's been a few J105's who've done Hawaii races, I think all of them used symmetrical kites.

It's been a mixture. Most of the boats I know of used their asym setup. I'm aware of one that rigged a symmetrical kite - probably there were others.  I guess the decision depends on the rating hit you're going to get for adding the symmetrical option. At 78, a J105 can be competitive on point to point races whether mostly upwind, mostly downwind or a mixture, provided that the wind doesn't spend a lot of time < 8 kts or so.

We sailed our J/105 to Hawaii with asymmetric kites and did pretty well.  We’ve also been competitive in PHRF in Portland and the NW.  J/105s have won Swiftsure overall least once, I think twice, all in class trim.  There might be reason to convert to symmetrical kites, but I haven’t  seen it.

Eric

Not a 105, but I did the Heineken Regatta in St Martin a coupe times on a j109 with a sym rig. He did it solely for the ratings boost. Frankly I think we'd have done better with the Asym. in an event like that with a lot of very reachy legs of courses it didn't help much. But we mauled a Bene 36.7 on one downwind leg in the round the island race. so for w/l racing, it may in fact be a good option. But before you go to all the hassle, maybe ya wanna try getting a sailmaker to come out with you and help you optimize your sailing to your existing inventory. Maybe if you do a better job of sailing YOUR angles and not trying to sail someone elses', you'll end up better off in the long run. 

in the meantime, search around on here for the standard greeting to newbs and at least make an effort to comply or have we all become too woke round heya?

I was thinking the same thing. I was also thinking 15sec/mile credit was extremely generous, maybe because the kite is so small? I thought the intent was to be more competitive by going faster, but I guess gong slower with an even slower rating is also a viable solution.  It will be interesting how this turns out, but with a 15sec/mile slower rating I think he’ll be happy!

• 3 weeks later...

seems like a lot of hassle and money for a pickle dish.