Chrysler Privateer/Pirateer 13

My wife is looking for a planing dinghy which can be used this summer on her own--either by herself or with two small children.  This is warm water sailing, and she will pick and choose winds.  She will probably go out between 5 and 10s, and would not go out over 12 or so.  On our Flying Dutchman and Wayfarer, she tends to crew rather than helm, and she wants to teach herself to handle the tiller.  When we switch, I tend to coach and she starts to complain about being told what to do.  

Her requirement is that she can step the mast and rig either alone or with minimal help from an 11 year old.  I might sail it with her or by myself once in a while, but we have 8 boats right now and three of them are sailboats.  So this is a niche boat with a specific application.  

We have a Privateer 13 for sale nearby for cost of trailer, and at least in photos looks good.  I know that several forum members have been involved in sailing and building the Chrysler products.  Given her parameter of stepping and rigging alone, what opinion do we have as a training craft for an adult and a couple of kids?  Laser is too hot for what she wants, and she is not after a displacement hull like a Sabot.  

I made an offer on a Flying Junior without response thus far, and she is a little concerned that the FJ might be over her pay grade.  I don't think so--but she has her notions.  

Any opinion about the Chrysler, and any opinion about other options?  We have lots of used boats pop up with prices all over the board...Bay Area SF.  

DLB

I can't speak specifically about the Pirateer, sorry. I have sailed the Buccaneer, it's 18' big sister, a lot under a wide variety of conditions, and the Mutineer it's 15' big sister a dozen or so times.

They're a bit on the tippy side. I would expect the Pirateer to sail pretty well and handle smartly, but it might be a bit on the tippy / quirky side. And I don't have a lot of confidence in the early Chrysler builds. They liked to do stuff like stick galvanized porch braces into the transom corner and spray chopper gun over it, then outfit the boat with plumbing parts instead of actual sailboat blocks and cleats etc.

But if it's not too far and seems to have a good trailer and sails, worth taking a look IMHO

FB- Doug

1 hour ago, Coquina012 said:

It's a bit far. 4 hours roundtrip.  Boat is free--price is $500 for almost new trailer.  

HMMM>>>

Ah so, I did not realize it was that far. Hmm, still, road trip??

- DSK

Would a Flying Tern be too hot for the above purposes?  That looks like a trapeze boat to me...Any experience with those?  

4 hours ago, Coquina012 said:

Any experience with these--clarification--not the trapeze.  Experience with the Flying Tern? 

It's a nice enough boat. We had one donated to the high school's junior program and used it back when we were desperate for anything that floated/sailed to put kids in.... we had a Pintail too, that's whole 'nother story.

I don't think I ever sailed the Flying Tern but don't remember much about it except that it came with a great trailer, it had the usual crap old 1970s blown-out sails, and we tried to avoid capsizing it based on the looks (lack of buoyancy). Is "not too bad" a useful recommendation?

[edit to add] I keep kids away from trapeze boats (another whole 'nother story). Their parents can do that. But unless you lived in the trade winds, I can't imagine the Flying Tern having a trap and and am quite sure ours never had one.

FB- Doug

This one does.  Thanks for remarks.  I think they are popular in Europe--only based on reading right now.  

New  one for $800 with nice trailer.  

I think she needs a sunfish or laser, but not getting any gratitude for suggestions.  

1 hour ago, Coquina012 said:

I think she needs a sunfish or laser, but not getting any gratitude for suggestions.  

If you are going that route, I’d go with the Rocket

• Like 2

The crazy cheap stingy route?  I have bought a dozen boats in the $500-$1000 range.  And some of them worked. 

28 minutes ago, Coquina012 said:

The crazy cheap stingy route?  I have bought a dozen boats in the $500-$1000 range.  And some of them worked. 

Yep

B)

I've bought a lot of boats super cheap over the years. Mostly because I've been poor most of my life, in terms of the numeric amount of money I could spend. But the best way to learn which boats are worth fixing up are to play the field and learn what makes a boat definitely NOT worth fixing up.

Such as a Pintail

FB- Doug

totally agree.  Some boats look bad and need little.  Others look good and cannot be brought back from the grave. 

Expedition 14.5 would fit your intended use but they are very rare. The roller reefing sail is nice and the carbon mast is pretty easy to step if your trailer is low enough, especially since you can roll up the sail  before you step it. Might frankenboat your own, just de-power a Laser2. The hull/cockpit works pretty well for a dayboat.

Yes, simply adding areefing system for main and jib completely changes the character of a boat.  I am going to look at this Tern for sale nearby.  If the photos do justice, someone bought it, took it out twice, scared themselves, and then parked it in a garage. Seller says attached photo was recent--2003 registration.   I was looking at a Lido 14 because it has a loose footed sail and would be very easy to alter for reefing.  However, it appeared to need surgery beneath cockpit sole and I don't want this in line on the 2000 other projects that are half finished right now.  

00e0e_j25gIusCTq5z_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

22 hours ago, Bill5 said:

If you are going that route, I’d go with the Rocket

I just saw a Butterfly listing near Lakeland FL for about $700 - 1985 model in good shape. 

It reminded me of those "Board Boats", but with a deeper well inside and regular rig.

Some of the cheap boats look great online - and the $400 (Dink w/sail) as well as the $900 wind rider and  lady slipper I've bought all seem fine - but I'd worry about boats where you don't see or feel everything (like could they be water-logged inside the hull?).

The fact is - many boats get fixed up well (or taken care of from day one) and then end up in the garage for a couple years - and then put up for sale. So maybe some are as good as they look? 

Here's the Butterfly if anyone wants to add it to their collection. Cool boat...then again, I think a lot of boats are cool.

Screen Shot 2021-05-14 at 6.42.23 PM.png

Yes, some are as good as they look.  I have gotten some insane deals on Craigs.  But I am a wooden boat guy so usually I have bought them for a trip and used them a month or two and then sold them for  the nothing I paid.  But two I have kept are a CL16 that was in as good a shape as a used boat can be that's not more or less new (Wayfarer from Canada) and a wooden Dutchman that was campaigned in the 70s--we have sail stamps from all over the world with that one.  I have bought several trailers for boats that I have built (I have built ten boats) and I pay around $500 for a good used trailer.  I have never paid more than $1000 for a used sailboat, and most have been $500.  In fact the Ducthman is the ONLY boat I have boat over $800.  I don't feel like I have gotten a bad deal yet.  

• Like 2

we bought the flying tern.  Hull is in great shape, sails good used, overall seems very good.  Has wooden mast and boom. IMMEDIATELY broke the boom.  Easy project but a bit odd.  Were not able to launch yet. 

4 hours ago, Coquina012 said:

we bought the flying tern.  Hull is in great shape, sails good used, overall seems very good.  Has wooden mast and boom. IMMEDIATELY broke the boom.  Easy project but a bit odd.  Were not able to launch yet. 

Broke the boom?!? That's kind of a what-the-hell moment. Did it have a bad spot? Fixing or making a T-spar isn't a big deal though.

FB- Doug

I literally have seven laying around from different boats that are from sails that we either changed out or sold.  Easy fix.  It looked to me like the boom was stripped and painted, than fittings for the blocks (3) were reinstalled with clumsy copper riveting and through-drilled--perhaps that would have worked but I don't think the restoration, if you want to call it that, was correct.  I don't know what originals looked like so perhaps this was some belt and suspender engineering gone bad.  I want to change the bolt-rope foot to a loose footed sail, for a number of reasons, so this is a miniscule set back.  But weird, odd break.  My kid stepped on the boom in the back of a truck laying more or less flat.  Shouldn't have snapped, but better there than behind Alcatraz.