Random PicThread

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

thank you for the greetings, things are still pretty wonky trying to do this so just bear with me and My energy level is low but I know this is good to bring my brain back online so I'll keep posting

Thanks Nimbus. The whole reset of the SA website where all the pages were wiped clean really had me at a low point. The last six months of it's life I had been just stomping on the gas pedal tryi

Posted Images

2 hours ago, hobot said:

FB_IMG_1619042611302.jpg

The origins of the word "Clicker"

Parents had a TV with one. But I found out that rattling my keys would change the channel.  Handy when my lil' sister owned the clicker and wanted to watch The Love Boat - and Wild World of Sports was on.  

8 hours ago, hobot said:

74567993_1111438549059322_423608698804371456_o.jpg

Where the F do they get the water to maintain that rich white man's oasis in the middle of the desert??  Newport - Bermuda race around '82, John Thompson took the crew of his Holland 46, "infinity" to one of the best golf courses in Bermuda.  I drank beer and drove a golf cart, just not interested in playing golf then, or now....

• Like 1
9 hours ago, gptyk said:

I'm guessin Primm, NV. And if so, I've played this obscene use of water in a desert. 

Luckily I wised up and determined I was a better sailor than a golfer. And I'm not that good of a sailor. 

the older I get, the better I used to be

- DSK

• Like 1

May be an image of outdoors

• Like 3
10 hours ago, hobot said:

FB_IMG_1619488565737.jpg

A iconic fixture at the Long Beach Airport - KLGB.  The building is now the HQ for MBZ Norte Merika, and they maintain the sign..  pretty darn cool of them to do that.

Still remember the day the last MacD MD-95 (Boeing 717) rolled of the line.. End of an era...  But the C-17 was still being built at that time ...   what a beast those things are.

420080_200669766699466_1752925001_n.jpg?

2 hours ago, Ventucky Red said:

A iconic fixture at the Long Beach Airport - KLGB.  The building is now the HQ for MBZ Norte Merika, and they maintain the sign..  pretty darn cool of them to do that.

Still remember the day the last MacD MD-95 (Boeing 717) rolled of the line.. End of an era...  But the C-17 was still being built at that time ...   what a beast those things are.

420080_200669766699466_1752925001_n.jpg?

I flew airTran a lot back in the early 2000's Decent little budget airline. I miss them and Midwest Express. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

As Drought Worsens, Lake Mead Falls to Lowest Level Since Hoover Dam Was  Built - Times of San Diego

Coincidence?

cause/effect

not just the golf courses,  but growing fruits and veggies in arid climates seems to be popular as well.  long growing seasons, and access to cheap labor

arizona and cali  those aren't lawns either  

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

• Like 1

now this looks  like a fun place.

Nissan American Technical research facility.

5 mile super oval probably at least 5 miles of various street road courses a few miles of dirt tracks.

34 lane miles of roads to secretly test their vehicles

nissan.JPG

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Marcjsmith said:

now this looks  like a fun place.

Nissan American Technical research facility.

5 mile super oval probably at least 5 miles of various street road courses a few miles of dirt tracks.

34 lane miles of roads to secretly test their vehicles

nissan.JPG

Hell of a lot more sensible use of desert than a golf course.

1 hour ago, Slick470 said:

I flew airTran a lot back in the early 2000's Decent little budget airline. I miss them and Midwest Express. 

I had a habit of pocketing the utensils from the inflight meals. United, American and yes Midwest Express. Midwest Express always had fresh baked chocolate chip cookies in flight.  You could smell them before they came put of the oven and then an attendant (stewardess) would serve them still warm.  I can say stewardess because my wife was one for a while before she and I met.

1 hour ago, Marcjsmith said:

cause/effect

not just the golf courses,  but growing fruits and veggies in arid climates seems to be popular as well.  long growing seasons, and access to cheap labor

arizona and cali  those aren't lawns either  

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

In the early eighties I worked at NAS Lemore  south of Fresno.  There was a lot of water available for crops all across the valley.  I am guessing not so much anymore.

^^I spent some winter months there renting a trailer just to the left of this picture while I was working at PrindleCat.

The volleyball nets that used to be set up on the beach side of the highway were old sections of Prindle masts.

FB_IMG_1619472976744.jpg

FB_IMG_1624195782583.jpg

FB_IMG_1619411000484.jpg

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, hobot said:

FB_IMG_1619411000484.jpg

30 years before that plane, this was introduced.

Handley Page Heyford. Last biplane bomber of the RAF introduced in 1934.  Few survived in WW2, obsolete but used as glider tugs and rendered  interesting services as airborne radar and in-flight refueling

The F35 has been under development for that same 30 years and still isn't right.

Were they that much smarter in the post war years?

10 hours ago, cmonkey said:

Now, that is a cool looking combo.

Excellent styling.  Leaving no doubt of one's ability to slice up unwary pedestrians and water skiers with just a well-timed fishtail.

204045974_3070713793251711_910237037428746419_n.jpg

8 hours ago, hobot said:

Was there any ACAD available when the XB 70 was designed or was it all done with a slide rule?

Slide rules and paper drawings. There were barely even mainframe computers in '64.

IBM 360 series started delivery in '65, prior to that was the 1401 which couldn't equal a pocket calculator.

On 7/2/2021 at 11:08 AM, warbird said:

I had a habit of pocketing the utensils from the inflight meals. United, American and yes Midwest Express. Midwest Express always had fresh baked chocolate chip cookies in flight.  You could smell them before they came put of the oven and then an attendant (stewardess) would serve them still warm.  I can say stewardess because my wife was one for a while before she and I met.

:lol:, i have(had) a couple of sets of Air Canada utensils I used camping/sailing.  compact, heavy, shiny stainless!

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, chester said:

sailing

heavy

:o

shiny

:wub:

21 hours ago, hobot said:

FB_IMG_1609022790320.jpg

I wonder what they're listening to ....