• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

thank you for the greetings, things are still pretty wonky trying to do this so just bear with me and My energy level is low but I know this is good to bring my brain back online so I'll keep posting

Thanks Nimbus. The whole reset of the SA website where all the pages were wiped clean really had me at a low point. The last six months of it's life I had been just stomping on the gas pedal tryi

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Bugsy said:

OK, so you may me look it up (dang this random pic thread and its endless rabbit holes!).  

Hobart, Tasmania is at about -42 deg latitude.   The northern California border and Boston are both at about +42 deg latitude.  

I have never seen northern lights (other than just a faint flow on the horizon) at less than about 50 deg latitude.  

Perhaps a better question would be: Why can an aurora be seen in lower latitudes over North America than over Europe? Or why the Southern Lights can be better observed in Tasmania, New Zealand or the Falkland Islands.

It has nothing to do with the latitude or geographical North or South Poles, but the magnetic North or South Poles. And the strength of the magnetic pulse that enclosed the transferred plasma. The stronger the pulse from the sun, the further the edges of the bubble penetrate the atmosphere. And form those pretty ribbons in the sky. As our magnetic shield weakens thru age, the further south they will appear. As the magnetic poles wander, both North and South, they influence where the Aurora appear centered.

Aurora or Northern lights are not pertained to earth’s atmosphere but also occurs only when the extra terrestrial space is also conducive. When Sun erupts solar flare, large quantities of charged particles are emitted into extra-terrestrial space called solar storm.

These charged particles travel in rapid speed for larger distances. When this solar storm reaches earth, magnetic field of earth acts as a shield protecting the earth. This happens as the direction of earth’s magnetic field and the direction of charge particles in solar storm are perpendicular to each other.

However, in polar regions, earth’s magnetic field is not perpendicular to solar storm, hence the charged particles penetrate into the earth’s magnetosphere. When the charged particles enter the earth’s atmosphere it ionizes the different particles present in atmosphere. Depending on the ionized particles, the color of the light in atmosphere changes. The only reason for Aurora in higher latitudes, is our natural shield, Earth’s magnetic field.

The aurora are visible everywhere above the Earth. The majority of the phenomena appears closer to the poles but depending upon the intensity of particles coming from the Sun can appear even as far inward as the Equator.

Most of the aurora are not bright enough to be seen in modern cities, but occasionally in deep rural areas such as the mountains or deserts they become a common sight.

I first recall seeing the Northern Lights in the fall of 1975, soaking in the Laird Hot Springs which is about 59.4256° N in British Columbia. Since then I've also seen the Northern Lights in the lower 48-49° of Northwestern Washington State. Usually this is due to solar storms, the perpendicular location of the Magnetic North Pole and when energized electrons from a high-speed solar winds collide with the Earth’s atmosphere. In fact the Northern Lights were visible in NW Washington State last night and may be visible again tonight.

A word of warning with 7 Kp index, is not a good time to fly a drone, since they like a Kp of less then 4.

Northern lights may grace the skies tonight. Here are the best times to see them in Seattle.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, warbird said:

See the source image We carpooled to mammoth mountain with a one legged skier and your pics reminded of the weekend.  Dave was not put out by being mono legged.  He saved 50% on boots and a pair of skis lasted him twice as long. He never crossed tips.  He always went to the front of the lift line. Dave had a most positive attitude that washed overall who knew him.  We caught him only once on that weekend as a group and all posed for a group club picture on a slope .  As we took pics (35 mm film days) an ankle biter plowed through our group on the slope ending up near Dave down hill in a settling cloud of powder.  Dave regained his footing as the ankle biter looked up and Dave exclaimed "Look what you did to my foot"....

Had a relative (2nd uncle or so by marriage)  He was an avid skier who lost his leg to cancer back in the 60's.  The story we got at the time was he was one of the pioneers of amputee skiing in the Sierras.  

I haven't thought about him for a number of years.

Apologies to all.

There's no post count number first of all so I lost my way. I do have some proper black and white vintage glamour pictures on my phone but there's so many pictures I couldn't spend through and find them.

When I get back home then I have my laptop there's a specific folder I have the full of the proper picture for the top of the page.

Color pics or for Sol's thread.

Posting these pics off of my phone is difficult at best and there's no delete button that I could find so doing the best we can with what we have.

• Like 8
24 minutes ago, hobot said:

a specific folder I have the full of the proper picture for the top of the page.

You old horn-dog, you. ;)

• Like 1

Not to worry, that's just start-up glitch stuff.  Pales in comparison to---

---the subject matter.  You haven't lost a thing off your fastball,

or curve..

or slider.

Welcome back, it's just a good feeling for us, hope you're feeling it too.

1 hour ago, hobot said:

Apologies to all.

There's no post count number first of all so I lost my way. I do have some proper black and white vintage glamour pictures on my phone but there's so many pictures I couldn't spend through and find them.

When I get back home then I have my laptop there's a specific folder I have the full of the proper picture for the top of the page.

Posting these pics off of my phone is difficult at best and there's no delete button that I could find so doing the best we can with what we have.

Heck man - there are no f! rules here - this is anar f! chy!

You dont need to apologize for anything.

Welcome back.  I really missed this thread and am so happy it's creater and Shepard has returned.  Continued recovery and good heath to you.  Now back to going down the rabbit hole.  If this makes no sense blame the shit load of single malt I drank at my mothers 100th birthday.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, boomer said:

Whoa!

Wait just a cotten picking dag burned minute!

Wasn't this page supposed to start out with a scantily clad beauty.

1a1.jpg

1a1a1.jpg

1a1a1a.jpg

VINTAGE scantily Clad beauties!

• Like 1
4 hours ago, hobot said:

Apologies to all.

Hobs, the last thing you need to do is apologize for any of you work here. Truthfully, the body of work is OK without the body of work sometimes. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Point Break said:

In 1974 my USN ship was in Kure Japan for a few days and liberty was generous (3 section) so a buddy of mine and I decided to visit Hiroshima. We had to take the train  to get there and since civies were not allowed in those days, we were in undress whites. The train made many stops along the way as it was sort of a commuter train.  So just the two of us in the train station looking confused (because we were) about how to get to Hiroshima when all the signs were in Japanese. Finally a conductor who spoke okay english asked if he could help. We explained our destination and he nodded, marched us onto the train and announced in Japanese to the assembled passengers where we were headed and they should advise us when it was time to get off. Each stop we'd look around and the group would shake their heads no and motion for us to stay seated. Finally we pulled into a stop and were advised with gestures and nodding that we had arrived. We get off the train after profusely thanking our guides and now stood at a taxi stand with a similar language barrier. Finally my buddy made an explosion sound and gestured with his hands an explosion. The driver smiled, nodded and took us directly to the Peace Park and Museum at Ground Zero. All I can say is it was stunning. The stark dome, the "shadows" of people vaporized by the blast, the museum. We finished the visit playing frisbee in the park and fountain with a bunch of kids much to their parents amusement. On the train ride back we were approached by a middle aged man who spoke pretty good English. Turned out he was a professor or teacher of some sort at a local university and wanted to try out his english. At the end of the ride back in Kure he got off as well and invited us to dinner in his home. We accepted and had a wonderful evening almost missing expiration of liberty hours back on board.

An experience I will never forget.

PB  Which chapter in the book will this be in. -  or do I need to compile the vignettes on my own?

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Bugsy said:

OK, so you may me look it up (dang this random pic thread and its endless rabbit holes!).  

Hobart, Tasmania is at about -42 deg latitude.   The northern California border and Boston are both at about +42 deg latitude.  

I have never seen northern lights (other than just a faint flow on the horizon) at less than about 50 deg latitude.  

I saw the northern lights ~30 yrs ago from here in TX. Kinda freaked me out as I didn't know what it was at first. Finally called a weather guy in San Antonio and he confirmed that I wasn't crazy, he had other reports of the same.

Skynet's first attempt to send a smart phone back to 1984 fails?

family-walking-down-road.jpg

• Like 1
2 hours ago, chester said:

VINTAGE scantily Clad beauties!

So Monique St. Pierre who posed 43 years ago, who'll be 68 in November isn't vintage enough for you? 

...or should they be deceased or just on the verge of kicking the bucket to qualify as vintage.

5 hours ago, hobot said:

Apologies to all.

No apologies needed.  Glad you're back.

43 minutes ago, boomer said:

So Monique St. Pierre who posed 43 years ago, who'll be 68 in November isn't vintage enough for you? 

...or should they be deceased or just on the verge of kicking the bucket to qualify as vintage.

New page, no rules, just trying to follow The example set before and I can't even do that because I don't see a page count and you can't delete posts anymore to back things up so... 

:)

9 hours ago, hobot said:

FB_IMG_1620859235999.jpg

Looks like a French version of The Long, Long Trailer.

7 hours ago, justsomeguy! said:
8 hours ago, hobot said:

a specific folder I have the full of the proper picture for the top of the page.

You old horn-dog, you.

I call it my sock drawer.

• Like 1

Hey Hobot - welcome back.

When you get back to your laptop, it would be good if the images you upload are at a higher definition / slightly larger size. Allow you to really blow up the picture and see the details. The current ones are good, but sometimes you want more.

I know that some people are bandwidth constrained, so not too large - just a bit larger.

Really enjoy the pics.

On 5/13/2021 at 4:24 AM, Snaggletooth said:

Enpire State Buildeng, B25 into 78th & 80th floores, 1945.                             :)

Amazing hey, the building is still there!

Go the BOT!

I go out sailing for a few days, and look what happened meanwhile! Truly a sight for sore eyes! Very glad to see you’re doing well enough to post again. Hope you’ll make a full recovery soon!

1 hour ago, nacradriver said:

San Carlos?

Yup.  2010.  Not sure if they're still doing that or not.  I haven't lived there in a while. 

21 hours ago, hobot said:

Bringing_up_Baby__1938__dir._Howard_Hawks_la_disparition_des_dinosaures_light.gif

One of my all time favorite movies! Almost as funny as Arsenic and Old Lace. Frankly I think Cary grant was Even better opposite Catherine Hepburn than Spencer Tracy. To be fair though, I think Grant is way underrated as an actor since so much of his work was in comedies.

• Like 1
On 5/13/2021 at 10:44 AM, boomer said:

The one legged skier had great attitude and sense of humor - which is an asset for amps, who wish to maintain an active lifestyle or just got on with life as an amputee.

German prosthetic manufacturer Ottbock along with making waterproof micro-processor Genium X3 knees for sailing, windsurfing, kite-boarding and other watersports - came out with a mechanical hydraulic assisted knee ProCarve  for snowboarding , skiing, water-skiing & wakeboarding about eight years ago. The benefits of this besides snowboarding and skiing with both legs, one isn't stressing a singular hip socket.

A friend dropped by tonight. He grabbed is right leg from the passenger foot well, slipped it on and walked down to the "light house basement bar":lol:

err excuse me , the top of the page appears to be out of order ...

So good to have you back Hobot!!  We missed you, and are very glad you beat the virus, although you had a pretty rough time of it!!  

Flabob's looking pretty upscale here! My buddy used to keep his aged Citabrea and a single engine Cessna there back when it was barely more than a dirt strip and a hanger with a bunch of grungy old airplane freaks hanging around.

FB_IMG_1620877439292.jpg

13 hours ago, warbird said:

A friend dropped by tonight. He grabbed is right leg from the passenger foot well, slipped it on and walked down to the "light house basement bar":lol:

Full explanation at 17:22

• Like 2

B-17 "Nine-0-Nine".  

Five years after I took this picture, the plane was lost in a crash in Connecticut, killing 7 people, including the pilots.  

9.jpg

3 hours ago, justsomeguy! said:

In the absence of PC#s, perhaps just pepper them randomly hither and yon, to add to the surprise and pleasure factor.  It is after all the Random Pic thread.  No need to be bound by outdated conventions.

• Like 5

I will look forward to seeing Hither and Yon, are they Swedish twins?

Good to have you back Hobot, all is right with the world again. Well almost?

1 hour ago, Crazy Horse said:

I will look forward to seeing Hither and Yon, are they Swedish twins?

They are Romanian twins.  Quite tasty.

Who are The Cheeky Girls Gabriela and Monica Irimia? Romanian twins who  first appeared on Popstars: The Rivals