• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

thank you for the greetings, things are still pretty wonky trying to do this so just bear with me and My energy level is low but I know this is good to bring my brain back online so I'll keep posting

Thanks Nimbus. The whole reset of the SA website where all the pages were wiped clean really had me at a low point. The last six months of it's life I had been just stomping on the gas pedal tryi

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, familysailor said:

Why?

Because he can???  Can you imagine flipping yourself over onto your back at 150 MPH?

8 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

Now, boys, we got three engines out; we got more holes in us than a horse trader's mule; the radio's gone and we're leakin' fuel, and if we's flying any lower, why, we'd need sleigh bells on this thing. But we got one little bulge on them Rooskies, at this height, why, they might harpoon us but they dang sure ain't gonna spot us on no radar screen.

2b16acf53e2ec76fbd3670f23a80cdc1.jpg

fry’n chickens in the barn yard 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, hobot said:

FB_IMG_1615447637229.jpg

Who is she?

I recognized Eve Meyer from the post a couple before this one, and the original RP thread. Google was spectacularly unhelpful with this photo though.

1 hour ago, Bacchus66 said:

I recognized Eve Meyer from the post a couple before this one, and the original RP thread.

Eve was a one of the many victims of the Tenerife Air disaster.

:(

Het_verongelukte_KLM-toestel_De_Rijn,_Bestanddeelnr_929-1005_-_cropped.jpg

On 7/21/2021 at 9:21 AM, hobot said:

FB_IMG_1626632964383.jpg

That one made more sense when I scrolled past it quickly.

12 hours ago, familysailor said:

Why?

Think of the t-shirt, the chat-up lines, the grandkids on your knee, the never having to achieve anything afterwards.

17 hours ago, bridhb said:

Travis Pastrana' "Point Break" replica jump:  

(50) Travis Pastrana Skydives Without a Parachute - YouTube

Link doesn't work, will try google.  Was discussing Travis videos on the thread here some while back, when someone listed some or all of his many, many injuries!  Holy Sheep Dip Batman, that boy's got a death wish!!

EDIT: For a while in my youth after several car crashes and one motorcycle wreck, my Mother thought the same about me! :o

15 minutes ago, warbird said:

Best childhood memories.

Those were great fun, until your bell bottom jean cuff got caught by the chain!! 

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

that boy's got a death wish!!

What gave it away?

Taken in 2009 on Highway 1, just south of Swanton Rd.  Davenport, Ca.  

I just wish I had captured it on video.  It was the largest, loudest helicopter I've ever seen, and I got soaked standing there!  

Sikorsky S-64 Skycrane.  

fullsizeoutput_1466.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1468.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1469.jpeg

15 hours ago, hobot said:

Eve was a one of the many victims of the Tenerife Air disaster.

That's so sad. I remember seeing it on the news and reading about it in the paper, but not much of the details since I was only ten at the time.

18 hours ago, hobot said:

215630_Auto_Front_3-4_Web.jpg

Had fun on these as a yute.

Currently there is a shitload of delinquent fuckwits in my area that are riding around on homemade versions of these.  Only problems are they are completely unmuffled and are louder than you can imagine and they typically travel in packs of 20+.

Did I mention they're louder than fuck?

19 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

Republic Seabee, interesting little seaplane.  That is prototype #1, I think.  Was NOT a financial success....

Republic RC-3 Seabee

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_RC-3_Seabee

I had a sailing acquaintance in the VI that bought a Republic SeaBee with the insurance proceeds of his classic charter yacht SANDAVORE after it was holed on a windless night leaving the big after regatta party in Coral Bay. He named his one airplane aviation company Tropic Bird Aviation after the tropic birds that nested on Carval Rock just off the beaches at Caneel Bay. I heard a couple of pretty good stories about Lance and the SeaBee. 

This one spent time in the VI but I don't think it was the one my friend bought.

Republic RC-3 Seabee # 615 ( N6386K )

6 hours ago, Winston29 said:

Taken in 2009 on Highway 1, just south of Swanton Rd.  Davenport, Ca.  

I just wish I had captured it on video.  It was the largest, loudest helicopter I've ever seen, and I got soaked standing there!  

Sikorsky S-64 Skycrane.  

fullsizeoutput_1466.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1468.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1469.jpeg

If you're wondering what it's like in person, put on headphones, turn up the volume as loud as you can handle without hurting your ears, then turn it up more, hit full-screen, and watch the first 20 seconds of this video.  :P

1 hour ago, pbd said:

Had fun on these as a yute.

Currently there is a shitload of delinquent fuckwits in my area that are riding around on homemade versions of these.  Only problems are they are completely unmuffled and are louder than you can imagine and they typically travel in packs of 20+.

Did I mention they're louder than fuck?

We typically had B&S 3 or 4hp horizontal shaft lawn mower engines. We discovered bypassing the governor got a lot more reps and speed. We also discovered that high engine speeds ruined the flywheel end crankshaft oil Seal. What We Learned is how to pull the flywheel and clean the oil off of the ignition points so we could run it again:ph34r:

1 hour ago, Rasputin22 said:

I had a sailing acquaintance in the VI that bought a Republic SeaBee with the insurance proceeds of his classic charter yacht SANDAVORE after it was holed on a windless night leaving the big after regatta party in Coral Bay. He named his one airplane aviation company Tropic Bird Aviation after the tropic birds that nested on Carval Rock just off the beaches at Caneel Bay. I heard a couple of pretty good stories about Lance and the SeaBee. 

This one spent time in the VI but I don't think it was the one my friend bought.

Republic RC-3 Seabee # 615 ( N6386K )

Reminds me of a Rigger, think his name was Chauncy Danse, or something like that?  When I was Boat Nanny on the 65' Boomerang between 82, and 84, we were berthed summers at Yacht Haven West, in Stamford, CT.  I think it's all waterfront office condos now, no marina or full service boat yard, but I could be wrong.  

This Rigger, Chauncy had a small lightweight seaplane with a top mounted pusher prop like the photo above.  I used to know the name of it....   Rumor was that when the Sound was choppy, and wind just right, South or North, he would take off and land in Stamford Harbor, or even the narrow Mianus River if conditions and river traffic warranted it....

11 hours ago, foamy1946 said:

Standing tall and lookin good...

Standing tall and lookin good.jpg

To our 2021 eyes they look skinny.  They were probably all considered normal weight.  I don't see anyone that would call overweight or obese. 

What would the average group of recruits look like now weight-wise?  Much, much heavier I suspect.  

I also note they are dressed in collared shirts, trousers, belts, etc.   No sloppiness there.  

I must be old.....

11 hours ago, billy backstay said:

Reminds me of a Rigger, think his name was Chauncy Danse, or something like that?  When I was Boat Nanny on the 65' Boomerang between 82, and 84, we were berthed summers at Yacht Haven West, in Stamford, CT.  I think it's all waterfront office condos now, no marina or full service boat yard, but I could be wrong.  

This Rigger, Chauncy had a small lightweight seaplane with a top mounted pusher prop like the photo above.  I used to know the name of it....   Rumor was that when the Sound was choppy, and wind just right, South or North, he would take off and land in Stamford Harbor, or even the narrow Mianus River if conditions and river traffic warranted it....

Lake Amphibian?

28 minutes ago, bridhb said:

Lake Amphibian?

Might have been, but I don't think the engine was that prominent above the fuselage....

6 hours ago, Bugsy said:

Looks like it could be that exciting time I enjoyed in '67 (after Transpac) at the reception center with my new haircut.

Ft. Bliss, El Paso for me - nothing blissful about it IMO.

And, I agree, someone's probably going to be very familiar with the "front leaning rest" position and the push-ups that inevitably follow as soon as your arms begin quivering and sweat drips from your forehead.

You put the breadcrumb trail out there for me snaggy.....

What was even better was finding its location on Google Earth and what it looks like nowadays

1 hour ago, Snaggletooth said:

Goode finde..................                               :)

Without google, a shot in the dark, radio telescope?

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, warbird said:
1 hour ago, Snaggletooth said:

yes sir.....              :)

3 hours ago, hobot said:

vro-dish60-photo.jpg

2 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

49 minutes ago, warbird said:

I cannot believe that it was anywhere but "Random Pictures" that I saw that topography and the rabbit hole it induced to discover we have been predeceased by some brilliant minds....

On 7/22/2021 at 4:54 PM, foamy1946 said:

Standing tall and lookin good...

When we got off the bus from the Armed Forces Induction Center in LA it was midnight (it was nice of everyone to stay up late to welcome us)……..and I don't remember it being so…….orderly……and where are the yellow footprints……those footprints took on an immediate top of the pile importance……..

9 hours ago, Point Break said:

……and where are the yellow footprints……those footprints took on an immediate top of the pile importance……..

:lol:

15 hours ago, hobot said:

FB_IMG_1591664722433.jpg

Work gave me one (with a monochromatic screen) so I could work at home.  While waiting for jobs to run I had a golf game to play.  Because the "on-line" system used to automatically go down at midnight, I would wait until then to log in and work.  Don't even want to think about how slow the dial-in speed was.