• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

thank you for the greetings, things are still pretty wonky trying to do this so just bear with me and My energy level is low but I know this is good to bring my brain back online so I'll keep posting

Thanks Nimbus. The whole reset of the SA website where all the pages were wiped clean really had me at a low point. The last six months of it's life I had been just stomping on the gas pedal tryi

Posted Images

On 5/15/2021 at 8:25 AM, Willin' said:

Flabob's looking pretty upscale here! My buddy used to keep his aged Citabrea and a single engine Cessna there back when it was barely more than a dirt strip and a hanger with a bunch of grungy old airplane freaks hanging around.

FB_IMG_1620877439292.jpg

Also the home of EAA Chapter #001.  And the cafe' there is has a very good $100 cheeseburger...  worth the trip.

Every time I go there; and Catalina, I feel like I have gone through a time warp back to the 50s'.

• Like 1
On 5/13/2021 at 11:03 PM, F_L said:

I saw the northern lights ~30 yrs ago from here in TX. Kinda freaked me out as I didn't know what it was at first. Finally called a weather guy in San Antonio and he confirmed that I wasn't crazy, he had other reports of the same.

saw them down here on the ChesBay back in 2002 or 2003. Halloween night I was running my power boat back up to DC from West River overnight. Saw some weird shit in the sky. There had been a lot of solar flare activity earlier in the week, and news outlets were predicting  everything from the demise of our electrical grids to all of the communications satellites and cell phone towers exploding as a result of them.  

seen them more often in Alaska, Iceland and Scotland, but thought it was pretty cool down here. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, nacradriver said:

Also the home of EAA Chapter #001.  And the cafe' there is has a very good $100 cheeseburger...  worth the trip.

Every time I go there; and Catalina, I feel like I have gone through a time warp back to the 50s'.

We used to buzz out to Catalina for buffalo burgers back before I moved there and learned to curse the island's very existence!

There  was a weird hump in the runway there that scared a lot of flyers.

52 minutes ago, Willin' said:

We used to buzz out to Catalina for buffalo burgers back before I moved there and learned to curse the island's very existence!

There  was a weird hump in the runway there that scared a lot of flyers.

All new runway now...  no more need to configure for soft and short..

Fast forward to 20 minutes

• Like 1

Nice to see the Rainier cap on a regular basis again Hobot.

Good to see a  shot of old Bellevue come up a few days ago.

I grew up several blocks from the photo, had a friend that lived directly to the left of the shot.

Sunset Highway, nee Highway 10, now I-90 in the background.

Thanks and welcome back.

1520195545901.thumb.jpeg.c1cd4bb5e7545b68b8a49d50268ca851.jpeg

• Like 1

first thought was space age pencil sharpener.. interesting hoover!!

FB_IMG_1620974573248.jpg

3 minutes ago, silent bob said:

Yes, 1976 Long Beach Grand Prix.

I've got lotsa pics of the 1st or 2nd one. Damn but what a good time Moose & me had that day.

Beach. Chick. F'ng. City.....:D

• Like 1

Hope this stuff is as therapeutic for you as it is for me, Hobs. Missed ya!

• Like 3

May be an image of outdoors and text that says 'THE EMPLOYEE SHORTAGE IS SO BAD THAT LONG HAIRED FREAKY PEOPL ANINOW APPLY'

• Like 2
3 hours ago, hobot said:

FB_IMG_1621266708634.jpg

The catch. The real/original one.

Willie Mays, 1954 world series, 8th inning of the first game with the score tied at 2. Vic Wertz clubbed a shot to DEEP center field in the ridiculously cavernous polo grounds with with runners on first and second and no outs. Mays makes the grab over 420 feet from home. Look up the video if you haven't seen it. Mays immediately whirls and fires an on target heave into the infield. The guy on second got to third, but normally would have scored, and the guy on first had no chance to advance. The Indians ultimately failed to score and lost 5-2 in extra innings. Going on to lose the series 4-0.

Cleveland was heavily favored to win the series, but the shell-shocked tribe ended getting handily swept by the Giants. That catch is one of only two plays from the first game of a world series that all but ended the series because of the demoralizing effect on the opposing team. Kirk Gibson's walk-off for the HatedDodgers is the other.

Mays was simply the greatest. The ultimate 5-tool player, and the most complete player the game has ever known. The fact that Babe was also a great pitcher before going full time in the field leads a lot of people to give him the edge when comparing the two. At best I'll concede that they are 1 and 1a in baseball's pantheon, whichever order you choose to put them in. No one else is even in the conversation. To Be Clear: I'm not saying that players like Aaron, Dimaggio, Mantle, Musial, and so many others weren't or aren't great, and in fact truly amazing. Just that Mays and Ruth are clearly the two best.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

saw them down here on the ChesBay back in 2002 or 2003. Halloween night I was running my power boat back up to DC from West River overnight. Saw some weird shit in the sky. There had been a lot of solar flare activity earlier in the week, and news outlets were predicting  everything from the demise of our electrical grids to all of the communications satellites and cell phone towers exploding as a result of them.  

seen them more often in Alaska, Iceland and Scotland, but thought it was pretty cool down here. 

Saw the one time just offshore of the Chesapeake on a delivery years ago, did not think that was possible!! 

15 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

first thought was space age pencil sharpener.. interesting hoover!!

FB_IMG_1620974573248.jpg

Years ago, MIssus BB used to write letters to companies, hoping to receive some kind of gift, or coupon, and often she did receive these.  I had a short, round Hoover canister vac that I accidentally ran over with my MB 300 diesel sedan, after using it to hoover out the interior.  I pounded the metal top half more or less back into place and t still worked.  She wrote a letter to Hoover, and received 2 free tickets to the Hoover vacuum museum, wherever the hell that was.....

17 hours ago, hobot said:

PXL_20210306_043102615.jpg

FB_IMG_1620967491725.jpg

FB_IMG_1620967944431.jpg

First thought was ‘Hacksaw Ridge, then and now.’

No cigar.

And, again, it’s great to have you back, young man.

• Like 1

having been on a low carb no sugar regimen for a little over 3 weeks.

This is now my all time favorite random pic....

FB_IMG_1621295018277.jpg 

When(if) I get back down to fightin' weight, I'm going to Montgomery Donuts. 

You should try my diet, the covid-19 diet. Went and saw my primary doctor in February they weighed me in at 238, by the time I landed in the second rehab where I'm at now I weighed 196.

It is a diet that's not for the faint of heart though.

• Like 12
1 minute ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

having been on a low carb no sugar regimen for a little over 3 weeks.

This is now my all time favorite random pic....

FB_IMG_1621295018277.jpg 

When(if) I get back down to fightin' weight, I'm going to Montgomery Donuts. 

Many years ago as an impoverished student in England I worked nights at the local bakery, injecting jam into those doughnuts.  Having seen how they were made I will never go near one again.

1 minute ago, P_Wop said:

Many years ago as an impoverished student in England I worked nights at the local bakery, injecting jam into those doughnuts.  Having seen how they were made I will never go near one again.

more for me LOL

1 hour ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

more for me LOL

My Dear departed Step Dad Larry (actually Captain Larry....among his many ocean-going highlights on the water,  he was one of just 2 pilots who brought the Queen Mary into the Port of Long Beach on her final voyage) was a crusty old man, Merchant Marine, and tug boat captain, who was born in like 1912 on the east coast and went to sea at the age of 19. Before that however he got a job somewhere with one of the two most popular makers catsup. He told me he spent a year in the fields then a few months in processing. At the age of 16 he took his last bite of meat loaf that was smothered in catsup.....and never ate a single drop afterwards for the next 78 years of his life. That's just how fuking disgusting catsup was made back then......:D

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Snaggletooth said:

I imiagine the cats macke a helluva noise..........            :)

Ever see Fargo?....

hehehe

There’s a saying about something like laws and sausages - you don’t want to see how they’re made.

But someone will correct me, I’m sure.

On 5/17/2021 at 7:42 PM, dyslexic dog said:

BAT has the transaxle to #130 James Dean car for sale right now. Supposedly James Dean's car. $100K and climbing.

yeah, sure. with the amount of supposedly James Dean's car parts you can find for sale, one could easily build half a dozen Porsches and there would still be some spare parts left... just sayin'

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, Trovão said:
On 5/17/2021 at 6:42 PM, dyslexic dog said:

BAT has the transaxle to #130 James Dean car for sale right now. Supposedly James Dean's car. $100K and climbing.

yeah, sure. with the amount of supposedly James Dean's car parts you can find for sale, one could easily build half a dozen Porsches and there would still be some spare parts left... just sayin'

I diddent no hisse carre wase availabelle, I bouhte hisse 'red jackette' online, a stealle at $12K...........    :)

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Black Sox said:

There’s a saying about something like laws and sausages - you don’t want to see how they’re made.

But someone will correct me, I’m sure.

The one that I heard was: "There are three things one should never observe:  the making of sausages, fudgsicles and tax laws."

• Like 1
11 hours ago, hobot said:

You should try my diet, the covid-19 diet. Went and saw my primary doctor in February they weighed me in at 238, by the time I landed in the second rehab where I'm at now I weighed 196.

Yeah, no thanks Hobs!!! I'll stick to my lean meat, bivalves and veggies!! Glad you've made it thru your diet though mate!

but goddam I want a donut!!!

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Trovão said:

Especially since the wreck disappeared after Barris had it - and it has never been seen since.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

Yeah, no thanks Hobs!!! I'll stick to my lean meat, bivalves and veggies!! Glad you've made it thru your diet though mate!

but goddam I want a donut!!!

Me too.

On Saturday mornings, when I kept my boats in Pousbo. I used go to Sly's Poulsbo Bakery and get a bag of Danish Pastry for the crew and I. After I moved the boats to Kingston, over the next several months I slowly shed the pounds, and got down to my normal weight. Now I work out daily to keep the weight off, and have been holding at 202-203 the past two years, or about 18 lbs more then when I sailed with Hobot.

Once a month my wife brings me home a Danish from Sly's Poulsbo Bakery, and I can't express my gratitude enough. Well I can and do, but that takes a wee bit of time...

• Like 1
22 hours ago, P_Wop said:

Similarly, many years back, as a waypoint to break up a long cross country trip, my Aunt/ Uncle/cousins stopped off in Hershey, PA for a visit and tour of the chocolate factory. None of them have ever desired a bite of chocolate candy in the ensuing 60 odd years.

They all just moaned about that horrible smell!

22 hours ago, hobot said:

Aincha glad you never threw away all those old 36" waist Levis in the back of your closet now?

26 minutes ago, Willin' said:

Similarly, many years back, as a waypoint to break up a long cross country trip, my Aunt/ Uncle/cousins stopped off in Hershey, PA for a visit and tour of the chocolate factory. None of them have ever desired a bite of chocolate candy in the ensuing 60 odd years.

They all just moaned about that horrible smell!

Reminds me of going to Port Washington from Stamford to get the scuba tank filled for my weekly bottom cleaning before race weekend.  I went to that shop rather than a closer one, because I didn't have a Cert. card, and they didn't care.  You could always tell what flavor of Life Savers were being made that day by the smell in the area!!  When the bluefish were running hard, in the marina, I would skip the bottom clean for that weekend!   They like shiny bits like tank valves and regulators....

44 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

Reminds me of going to Port Washington from Stamford to get the scuba tank filled for my weekly bottom cleaning before race weekend.  I went to that shop rather than a closer one, because I didn't have a Cert. card, and they didn't care.  You could always tell what flavor of Life Savers were being made that day by the smell in the area!!  When the bluefish were running hard, in the marina, I would skip the bottom clean for that weekend!   They like shiny bits like tank valves and regulators....

Frickin' bluefish are snappers!

I worked at a wastewater treatment plant in the north bay area that had twoo major commercial contributors. When we got the discharge from the huge Annheiser Busch brewery the whole plant smelled like wort, not a bad thing at all.

When we got the waste from the Jelly Belly factory it was not a pretty smell. There's something about dense, sweet licorice aroma that almost makes turds smell good.

48 minutes ago, Willin' said:

waste from the Jelly Belly factory it was not a pretty smell. There's something about dense, sweet licorice aroma that almost makes turds smell good.

Jelly Belly's are my favorites!!  No other Jelly Bean can compare, and Marshalls, or somewhere sells has them sometimes in a large round container, so Missus BB picks them up for me, once in a while.  But the licorice flavored ones are the least favorite!

On 5/13/2021 at 4:36 PM, boomer said:

Perhaps a better question would be: Why can an aurora be seen in lower latitudes over North America than over Europe? Or why the Southern Lights can be better observed in Tasmania, New Zealand or the Falkland Islands.

It has nothing to do with the latitude or geographical North or South Poles, but the magnetic North or South Poles. And the strength of the magnetic pulse that enclosed the transferred plasma. The stronger the pulse from the sun, the further the edges of the bubble penetrate the atmosphere. And form those pretty ribbons in the sky. As our magnetic shield weakens thru age, the further south they will appear. As the magnetic poles wander, both North and South, they influence where the Aurora appear centered.

Aurora or Northern lights are not pertained to earth’s atmosphere but also occurs only when the extra terrestrial space is also conducive. When Sun erupts solar flare, large quantities of charged particles are emitted into extra-terrestrial space called solar storm.

These charged particles travel in rapid speed for larger distances. When this solar storm reaches earth, magnetic field of earth acts as a shield protecting the earth. This happens as the direction of earth’s magnetic field and the direction of charge particles in solar storm are perpendicular to each other.

However, in polar regions, earth’s magnetic field is not perpendicular to solar storm, hence the charged particles penetrate into the earth’s magnetosphere. When the charged particles enter the earth’s atmosphere it ionizes the different particles present in atmosphere. Depending on the ionized particles, the color of the light in atmosphere changes. The only reason for Aurora in higher latitudes, is our natural shield, Earth’s magnetic field.

The aurora are visible everywhere above the Earth. The majority of the phenomena appears closer to the poles but depending upon the intensity of particles coming from the Sun can appear even as far inward as the Equator.

Most of the aurora are not bright enough to be seen in modern cities, but occasionally in deep rural areas such as the mountains or deserts they become a common sight.

I first recall seeing the Northern Lights in the fall of 1975, soaking in the Laird Hot Springs which is about 59.4256° N in British Columbia. Since then I've also seen the Northern Lights in the lower 48-49° of Northwestern Washington State. Usually this is due to solar storms, the perpendicular location of the Magnetic North Pole and when energized electrons from a high-speed solar winds collide with the Earth’s atmosphere. In fact the Northern Lights were visible in NW Washington State last night and may be visible again tonight.

A word of warning with 7 Kp index, is not a good time to fly a drone, since they like a Kp of less then 4.

Northern lights may grace the skies tonight. Here are the best times to see them in Seattle.

I was at a corporate retreat in southern Michigan about ten years ago at +42 deg  lat (Covert, MI) and saw one of the brightest Aurora displays I’ve ever seen from land as we sat around a bonfire. Everyone was stunned with disbelief of how vivid it was, lasted about 20 minutes before subsiding; I called my wife further north in Holland and she could see it also. Four or five years ago there was a hour-long display during a Lake Michigan night crossing on the Badger ferry (Ludington-Manitowoc, 44 deg) that brightened and faded several times. Nothing compared to the mid-90’s display during a mid-90’s PH-Mac that the fleet will never forget, but impressive for lower latitudes. Anomalies happen from time to time.

• Like 1
On 5/16/2021 at 9:57 PM, nimbus said:

The old story we were tolds as kids was that once the Sydney Harbour Bridge was totally repainted they had to immediately start again to repaint it.  There is a lot of steel in that bridge.

Not sure if with modern painting equipment it’s still true but that used to be the case with the Mackinac Bridge.

Welcome back Hobot, best wishes for thorough recovery and thanks for the thread and hard work!

54 minutes ago, WhoaTed said:

Not sure if with modern painting equipment it’s still true but that used to be the case with the Mackinac Bridge.

Welcome back Hobot, best wishes for thorough recovery and thanks for the thread and hard work!

That seems to be  true for most large spans.  The Golden Gate Bridge, as I understand it has been constantly repainted since it opened.  I have read that the same family business has had the contract for decades.

From the GG Bridge Website:

"There are a couple of misconceptions about how often the Bridge is painted. Some say once every seven years, others say from end to end each year. The truth is that the Bridge is painted continuously. Painting the Bridge is an ongoing task and a primary maintenance job. The paint applied to the Bridge’s steel protects it from the high salt content in the air which can cause the steel to corrode or rust.

As the Bridge was built, it was painted International Orange, with a lead primer and a lead-based topcoat. Painting of the various Bridge structures then continued into the next several years. Spot painting of the steel continued in various areas of the span on an as needed basis until 1968. For more information about the International Orange color, visit the Color & Art Deco Styling page. 

By 1968, advancing corrosion sparked a program to remove the original lead based paint (primer and topcoat) and replace it with an inorganic zinc silicate primer and vinyl topcoats. This process was completed in 1995. Note that in 1990, the topcoat was changed from a vinyl to an acrylic emulsion to meet air quality (Volatile Organic Compounds or VOC) requirements.

Painting continues today and is based on priorities which are determined by inspections that assist in determining where the corrosion of the steel is advancing. In 2012, there were two major paint projects along with touch-up projects - repainting the two main cables and the painting of the north approach viaduct structures."

As a dippy girlfriend once said when we were talking about how it is continuously painted

”why don’t they just put up siding”

miss her

• Like 2
On 5/18/2021 at 1:50 AM, Snaggletooth said:

wached thisse eppisode juste recentley.............                       :)

Is there any actor better at badass parts than Charles Bronson? I mean really…..

Oh and in real life…..real badass as well.