Jump to content

Random PicThread


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

thank you for the greetings, things are still pretty wonky trying to do this so just bear with me and My energy level is low but I know this is good to bring my brain back online so I'll keep posting

Thanks Nimbus. The whole reset of the SA website where all the pages were wiped clean really had me at a low point. The last six months of it's life I had been just stomping on the gas pedal tryi

Posted Images

51 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Thisse booke may of curred hisse empathey......

51jhXAxdZYL.jpg

sadde stuffe......

I'm well aware of history and Australian army personal saw and suffered some of the absolute worst of Japenese behaviour, including the massacre of women nurses, beheading of captives, the well know working to death of prisoners and the Sundakan death march at the end of the war - my wife's great uncle, a veteran of both world wars,  died on the latter (although I'll admit Nanking was the worst of the worst).

And this guy was a smart senior professional who had seen it first hand and knew his history. I don't know why they call it the forgotten Holocaust, It certainly wasn't forgotten in Australia. But then the boomer and X generations in Australia probably have a lot more of the Japanese Pacific war history committed to memory. It was a direct threat to us and our troops were the ones who ended up holding the line in truely terrible conditions in New Guinea before US troops were ready for battle.

Just saying that when you get down to the granular level of individual humans, you sometimes find under these highly repressive regiemes the peasant bottom rungs are treated little better than the enemy.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

At some point the actual perpetrators have died off.  If we hold national grudges forever we end up with nobody to talk to.  My grandfather was locked up by Japanese forces when they invaded Sumatra, but managed to have some Japanese friends over the subsequent years.  The world is a shitty place, sadly.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NaptimeAgain said:

At some point the actual perpetrators have died off.  If we hold national grudges forever we end up with nobody to talk to.  My grandfather was locked up by Japanese forces when they invaded Sumatra, but managed to have some Japanese friends over the subsequent years.  The world is a shitty place, sadly.  

Worked through mine. I understand the bias…..it’s hard to drive past it. But you are right. Glad I sorted it out. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

While still an apprentice I found a BMW 2002 in awesome orange to buy - and naturally tapped up the 'bank of dad' to pay for most of it  - his first and only comment was "no, its a German car" grump grump grump. Well, the second suggestion went down even worse - a Mazda RZ3 in green.! 

1197185532_ScreenShot2021-08-22at7_07_51PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-22 at 7.11.02 PM.png

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, P_Wop said:

I discovered only recently in a history book that my late Dad had got lost in a forest and was the first Allied officer to discover one of the death camps, Ravensbrug, I think.  All the guards had fled, and there were thousands of dead and dying. 

To make matters even more painful, he was a Royal Australian Air Force fighter squadron medical officer, detailed to support downed Allied aircrew in France then Belgium, Holland and far into Germany. 

His medical kit on his Harley Davidson motorcycle was pitifully inadequate, so all he could do was leave again and search out a Russian army detachment to come and see what they could do. 

He never ever mentioned it in his life as a fine surgeon, a good sailor and a great father.  And as above, I only discovered this after he'd passed.

That may explain his antipathy when I brought a German girlfriend home once.  But she was a nutcase anyway.  Great in the cot though!

Ravensbruck.

Similar to your father, I found this out from my other uncle after this uncle passed.. 

Uncle was a resident when he was called up.  They knew something big was in the works when he showed up at the induction center and many of the guys were similar to him - surgical and orthopedic residents with a few years of cutting under their belts.   They were taken Camp Picket, VA where they lived in tents and practiced on pigs that were shot, wash-rinse-repeat as they had to learn to move fast.

Fast forward about 20 months and he is working in Strausbourg France when he gets pulled out and brought into Germany.  First stop was Ohrdruf, and then Dachau.  All my one uncle noted that he felt this had scared him as he wasn't the "life of the party" afterwards...  but did go on with prosperous career with starting up a few ortho training programs. 

Getting back to your German girlfriend... you had two of the three right ingredients, she was German which means anything goes, and she was was crazy, which means anything goes and goes all the gusto... if she looked anything like this you hit the trifecta

 

Laura Berlin - Biografie

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, warbird said:
  1. It was not uncommon to come across an older fellow who would never own a German or Japanese car...
  2. We didn't see it with our own eyes, they did.

My Dad (Army Air Corps) never bought a German product for the rest of his life.

Dad.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/8/2021 at 6:58 PM, hobot said:

a6b24f161761f9e45d3388717b90e3c6.jpg

e833139bf7531927a80dcafa05464200.jpg

7131045921_10e68cfe80_b.jpg

Hobot, here's the original owner's manual from my '65 two stroke (now sadly deceased), along with a couple of pages- one showing the four-on-the-column shift and explaining the freewheel. I have a shop manual somewhere. I also have a similar vintage V4 owner's manual if anyone would like it.

Saab1.jpg

saab2.jpg

saab3.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ventucky Red said:

Getting back to your German girlfriend... you had two of the three right ingredients, she was German which means anything goes, and she was was crazy, which means anything goes and goes all the gusto... if she looked anything like this you hit the trifecta

Laura Berlin - Biografie

 

Sadly not that lovely.  But as they say down under, you don't watch the mantlepiece while you're stoking the fire.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ventucky Red said:

And yet many of our Jewish neighbors drove BMWs, Benzes, and Audis..  

Crazy

Back in the late 80's, I was at lunch with a Jewish guy who had just bought a Mercedes 300D (I think that was the model) and one of his acquaintances from the Temple came by and asked him if he's actually bought it.  When he was told "yes" he got a bit upset and said "those people tried to kill all of us and the seats in that damn thing could be made out of my grandmother!".

the first guy replied, "Well, she better have been a touch old bitch 'cause I plan on sitting on her for years". 

The conversation went downhill from there...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, hobot said:

FB_IMG_1592292751971.jpg

 

image.jpeg.627dac4b6e22eec88dc9925c97cd543a.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ventucky Red said:

And yet many of our Jewish neighbors drove BMWs, Benzes, and Audis..  

Crazy

Back when Seinfeld's Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee was a thing and he'd feature one of his prized Porsches, I was always left scratching my head. 

My wife's late grandfather, who was born to German-American immigrants, was a bombardier in B-24s flying "the hump" between India and China. He never said much about the war except that it left him with a hatred of mutton. But one day we were all sitting around watching TV at his place before dinner, chatting over the commercials, when he falls dead silent and watches a car ad. We all kind of quieted down to see what was going on with him and as soon as the ad was over, he turned off the set. The only thing he said was, "That's all I need. A Mitsubishi in my driveway."

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, IStream said:

Back when Seinfeld's Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee was a thing and he'd feature one of his prized Porsches, I was always left scratching my head. 

My wife's late grandfather, who was born to German-American immigrants, was a bombardier in B-24s flying "the hump" between India and China. He never said much about the war except that it left him with a hatred of mutton. But one day we were all sitting around watching TV at his place before dinner, chatting over the commercials, when he falls dead silent and watches a car ad. We all kind of quieted down to see what was going on with him and as soon as the ad was over, he turned off the set. The only thing he said was, "That's all I need. A Mitsubishi in my driveway."

Mitsubishi - primary builder of the Zero. Along with Hitachi.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/22/2021 at 1:36 AM, Snaggletooth said:

Perth, 1969

Digital trophy to you Snags!

It's the old Matilda Bay boat ramp, next to Royal Perth YC, c1969.

The trailer sailers they are launching are red witches (red eagle?) with a short fil keel. Hence the car & trailer getting rather wet! :lol:

 

mb ramp.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/21/2021 at 10:05 PM, warbird said:
  1. It was not uncommon to come across an older fellow who would never own a German or Japanese car...
  2. We didn't see it with our own eyes, they did.

ya know, it's odd/funny... not sure what word to use here, but my dad flew 30+ maybe 40 missions in Europe/No Africa... flew recon and weird shit in Korea and VN. He never gave a shit, happily drove VWs and really loved his little honda's... for years, my mom wouldn't ride in anything not made in Detroit. early 90s I bought them a MB 300 SDL ... a couple months later she confided in me... "Ya know, those rat bastards do make a pretty good car"

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Poodle56 said:

Digital trophy to you Snags!

It's the old Matilda Bay boat ramp, next to Royal Perth YC, c1969.

The trailer sailers they are launching are red witches (red eagle?) with a short fil keel. Hence the car & trailer getting rather wet! :lol:

 

 

Does this mean Snags has a bit of Aussie in him?

By the way, with the eaxhaust in the water, how do they drive out?

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Rambler said:

Does this mean Snags has a bit of Aussie in him?

By the way, with the eaxhaust in the water, how do they drive out?

Yeh I could envisage Snaggy hanging out with some drop bears ;)

I think the trick with the exhaust is to leave the engine running.

Speaking of which I have a mate that put his rangie in the drink at that boat ramp - effing funny. I'll see if I can find a photo!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/22/2021 at 8:46 AM, 00seven said:
On 8/22/2021 at 1:52 AM, Poodle56 said:

A great shot of life back in the day. Before my time, thx for photo Ramona. Now where & when is this? (No interwebs :rolleyes:)

7D9497BF-4DAE-4D8F-BCC2-05FDDC16B574.jpeg

Expand  

Glenelg SA early seventies.

Spent my youth in the sixties and seventies sailing off Adelaide metropolitan beaches. No piles, wooden ramps (on rough ground, not fine sand?) or small jetties for that matter that I can recall like that at Glenelg, Henley, Largs or Semaphore…..

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sidecar said:

Spent my youth in the sixties and seventies sailing off Adelaide metropolitan beaches. No piles, wooden ramps (on rough ground, not fine sand?) or small jetties for that matter that I can recall like that at Glenelg, Henley, Largs or Semaphore…..

Went to a Cherub Nationals and Worlds down there (Henley I think, but can't be sure).

Had to take the boats down a steep ramp to the beach behind a tractor, then across a steel mesh laid out on the beach.

Brakes were a bit dodgy, which made bringing the boat back up to the car park very hairy. Remember having to drive it around the car park until I could get it to stop. :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, IStream said:

 

My wife's late grandfather, who was born to German-American immigrants, was a bombardier in B-24s flying "the hump" between India and China. He never said much about the war except that it left him with a hatred of mutton.

Your in-law and my dad may have drank some beer together..  My dad was flying the hump in 40, got repatriated in 41, and was back doing the same thing in 42 till the end.  AAMOF his birhtday in on Thursday.,.. he would have been 105

My dad never got sick, we could have anything running through the house and he would never catch it..  As he put it, "I have lived in some of the worse shitholes in the world, going to take more than a cold to out me down...."

He also lamented that if you bring the Chinese into the modern world that they will be a super power to recon with - he hated Nixon, but did compliment him on opening talks with China. 

Funny to watch the look on the faces on the waiters when he ordered in Chinese at a Chinese restaurant.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/21/2021 at 7:24 PM, P_Wop said:

I discovered only recently in a history book that my late Dad had got lost in a forest and was the first Allied officer to discover one of the death camps, Ravensbrug, I think.  All the guards had fled, and there were thousands of dead and dying. 

To make matters even more painful, he was a Royal Australian Air Force fighter squadron medical officer, detailed to support downed Allied aircrew in France then Belgium, Holland and far into Germany. 

His medical kit on his Harley Davidson motorcycle was pitifully inadequate, so all he could do was leave again and search out a Russian army detachment to come and see what they could do. 

He never ever mentioned it in his life as a fine surgeon, a good sailor and a great father.  And as above, I only discovered this after he'd passed.

That may explain his antipathy when I brought a German girlfriend home once.  But she was a nutcase anyway.  Great in the cot though!

Ex Father in Law was a medic and chaplain assistant, hitting Normandy Beach at D-day + 4 hours. He eventually went into the ministry and like may of his generation, never spoke of his experiences. When Saving Private Ryan came out, he said he wanted to see it, so I went with him.

The entire movie, he sat straight in his chair, never moving, occasionally wiping his eyes. When the movie ended, I asked him what he thought.

He said - They got the color of the blood in the water right....

And that was all he ever said.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, longy said:

Mitsubishi - primary builder of the Zero. Along with Hitachi.

 

Mitsubishi modified their emblem in the 90s and called it " the triple diamond".

MITSUBISHI MOTORS

The old bucks from the Air Corp called Bullshit and said it was a modified version of a Zero propeller which had always been their emblem during WWII to the change.

Link to post
Share on other sites

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              90 

                                                                                                         

4f2c478e055c3c04841414bc8fd6e7a5.jpg

230712281_4059835864138161_6731000191911859965_n.jpg

1_FVDEiOdgNhS_syHiRipSXA.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites