• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

thank you for the greetings, things are still pretty wonky trying to do this so just bear with me and My energy level is low but I know this is good to bring my brain back online so I'll keep posting

Thanks Nimbus. The whole reset of the SA website where all the pages were wiped clean really had me at a low point. The last six months of it's life I had been just stomping on the gas pedal tryi

Posted Images

7 hours ago, hobot said:

Yamamoto?

I forgot where I found it I just thought it was a informative pic

Yamamoto was an Admiral, not a ship. Pearl Harbour was his doing.

I was thinking it might be Musashi or - as you probably meant - Yamato.

Huge MoFo - 75K tons IIRC.

Japanese_battleship_Yamato_running_trial

Huge vessel, but no match for Iowa class. Iowa had superior fire control system with integrated radars and had 6 knots higher top speed. She could have "easily" controlled engagement in hypothetical 1 versus 1 situation.

15 hours ago, SloopJonB said:
16 hours ago, hobot said:

1480379866_ii-ww-max-10034.thumb.jpg.9e8520fa0aa49dd1f8875e0f9bc9cba7.jpg

What is the "shopped" giant in that pic?

Google search is it's usual useless self.

It's two different ships. The "reflection" is the Yamato, the foreground is an Iowa class battleship. Looks like somebody photoshopped out the number and put in a Japanese flag. The combination of the stacks, the bow profile, and the two triple turrets, narrow it down. The Yamato is easy with the 3rd forward turret and the midships hump in the sheer.

Cool picture. Anybody recognize the background?

- DSK

It looks like a technically poor photoshop job, even disregarding the implausibility of the scene.  Inconsistent lighting and no bow wave on the larger ship. The "Yamato" would be hard aground like the Evergreen container ship in the Suez canal, no tugs etc.  Bigger question for me s why?  My guess is either someone just thought it might look cool, or some nut job wants us to believe Japan is rearming with battleships in some modern conspiracy.

10 minutes ago, NaptimeAgain said:

It looks like a technically poor photoshop job, even disregarding the implausibility of the scene.  Inconsistent lighting and no bow wave on the larger ship. The "Yamato" would be hard aground like the Evergreen container ship in the Suez canal, no tugs etc.  Bigger question for me s why?  My guess is either someone just thought it might look cool, or some nut job wants us to believe Japan is rearming with battleships in some modern conspiracy.

Rearming with battleships would be one of the most pointless and colossal wastes of money in history. Grand gesture?

I think somebody just thought it would look cool. Some kind of spirit reunion of glorious departed ships with the victor getting towed to ignominious mud berth where future generations of ignorant children stick bubblegum on her?

- DSK

217898247_10224318337560148_431562147968967403_n.jpgThat house, the Olson House, is still there, now owned and preserved by the Farnsworth Museum. It's just above Maplejuice Cove and is an imposing presence when anchored there.

You can take a 3-D virtual tour here...

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=xX485QWQ65A

Olson-House-entrance-with-play-500x281.j

It's pretty cool!

1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:
16 hours ago, SloopJonB said:
17 hours ago, hobot said:

1480379866_ii-ww-max-10034.thumb.jpg.9e8520fa0aa49dd1f8875e0f9bc9cba7.jpg

Expand  

What is the "shopped" giant in that pic?

Google search is it's usual useless self.

Expand  

It's two different ships. The "reflection" is the Yamato, the foreground is an Iowa class battleship. Looks like somebody photoshopped out the number and put in a Japanese flag. The combination of the stacks, the bow profile, and the two triple turrets, narrow it down. The Yamato is easy with the 3rd forward turret and the midships hump in the sheer.

Cool picture. Anybody recognize the background?

- DSK

Amazing how many hits it took to sink the Yamato….

5797B64E-0435-4DFB-94F7-C1CC00ECC2E5.png

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

And her sister.

Musashi was sunk by an estimated 19 torpedo and 17 bomb hits from American carrier-based aircraft

In the hypothetical matchup with an Iowa class BB, would you need plunging fire to replicate the damage from bombs?  Would that bring the BB within range of Musashi's main batteries?  And will a 16" shell hitting a few feet below the waterline have the same effect as a torpedo?

Wiki

Armour

220px-Musashi1942.png

Right elevation drawing of Musashias she appeared in 1942

The ship's waterline armour belt was identical to the Yamato's at 410 millimetres (16.1 in) thick and angled outwards 20 degrees at the top.[12]Below it was a strake of armour that ranged in thickness from 270 to 200 millimetres (10.6 to 7.9 in) over the magazines and machinery spaces respectively; it tapered to a thickness of 75 millimetres (3.0 in) at its bottom edge. The deck armour ranged in thickness from 230 to 200 millimetres (9.1 to 7.9 in). The turrets were protected with an armour plate 650 millimetres (25.6 in) thick on the face, 250 millimetres (9.8 in) on the sides, and 270 millimetres on the roof. The barbettes of the turrets were protected by armour 560 to 280 millimetres (22.0 to 11.0 in) thick, and the turrets of the 155 mm guns were protected by 50-millimetre (2.0 in) armour plates. The sides of the conning tower were 500 millimetres (19.7 in) thick and it had a 200-millimetre thick roof. Underneath the magazines were 50-to-80-millimetre (2.0 to 3.1 in) armour plates to protect the ship from minedamage. Musashi contained 1147 watertight compartments (1065 underneath the armour deck, 82 above) to preserve buoyancy in the event of battle damage.[13]

1 hour ago, NaptimeAgain said:

In the hypothetical matchup with an Iowa class BB, would you need plunging fire to replicate the damage from bombs?  Would that bring the BB within range of Musashi's main batteries?  And will a 16" shell hitting a few feet below the waterline have the same effect as a torpedo?

Wiki

Armour

220px-Musashi1942.png

Right elevation drawing of Musashias she appeared in 1942

The ship's waterline armour belt was identical to the Yamato's at 410 millimetres (16.1 in) thick and angled outwards 20 degrees at the top.[12]Below it was a strake of armour that ranged in thickness from 270 to 200 millimetres (10.6 to 7.9 in) over the magazines and machinery spaces respectively; it tapered to a thickness of 75 millimetres (3.0 in) at its bottom edge. The deck armour ranged in thickness from 230 to 200 millimetres (9.1 to 7.9 in). The turrets were protected with an armour plate 650 millimetres (25.6 in) thick on the face, 250 millimetres (9.8 in) on the sides, and 270 millimetres on the roof. The barbettes of the turrets were protected by armour 560 to 280 millimetres (22.0 to 11.0 in) thick, and the turrets of the 155 mm guns were protected by 50-millimetre (2.0 in) armour plates. The sides of the conning tower were 500 millimetres (19.7 in) thick and it had a 200-millimetre thick roof. Underneath the magazines were 50-to-80-millimetre (2.0 to 3.1 in) armour plates to protect the ship from minedamage. Musashi contained 1147 watertight compartments (1065 underneath the armour deck, 82 above) to preserve buoyancy in the event of battle damage.[13]

:blink: And it floated.

Maybe ferro isn't as overweight as people say

5 hours ago, Willin' said:

217898247_10224318337560148_431562147968967403_n.jpgThat house, the Olson House, is still there, now owned and preserved by the Farnsworth Museum. It's just above Maplejuice Cove and is an imposing presence when anchored there.

You can take a 3-D virtual tour here...

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=xX485QWQ65A

Olson-House-entrance-with-play-500x281.j

It's pretty cool!

My Aunt lived next door.

2 hours ago, NaptimeAgain said:

Iowa could keep shooting its magazines empty with somewhat undisturbed. 

While it would be inside range of Japanese battleship, Japanese ship lacked advanced firedirector so it is unlike they would even score hits from range where Iowa would get good rate of hits to target.

And in the end, it does not really matter if ship sinks or not. It will be mission kill sooner or later. Even guns can be operative, but if there is no sights for them there is not much of threat.

On 9/18/2021 at 3:22 PM, hobot said:

ga1294_13abwResize.jpg

I grew up down the street from Bryan and his younger sister was in my class

He was a bit of an odd duck, I was never knew we had a budding celebrity in the neighborhood until he won the Kremer prizes and did the Channel crossing. 

1 hour ago, pbd said:

I grew up down the street from Bryan and his younger sister was in my class

He was a bit of an odd duck, I was never knew we had a budding celebrity in the neighborhood until he won the Kremer prizes and did the Channel crossing. 

Interesting that it looks so much like the Wright flyer at first glance.  Guess it is the canard and "skeleton" construction.

34 minutes ago, foamy1946 said:

Doho...looks like 1950s or very early 60s.  The Villa was still there.

doho.jpg

The Villa, super cute waitresses, underage drinking of beer, nachos and Ms Pac-Man!

1 hour ago, Poodle56 said:

And here's is today's "where am I?" random pic. And yes you may use the interwebs to help! :lol:

Hawaii trip 121.jpg

In the compartment where officers eat their meals in a ship of the Navy of an English-speaking country... or at the doorway into same...

- DSK

27 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

In the compartment where officers eat their meals in a ship of the Navy of an English-speaking country... or at the doorway into same...

- DSK

Nice try, but a bit too vague.

I'll give you a hint - There are some excellent clues posted recently in this thread....

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, Poodle56 said:

Nice try, but a bit too vague.

I'll give you a hint - There are some excellent clues posted recently in this thread....

well it aint likely to be either Belgrano, mushasi or yamato so it must be the other big fucker

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, hobot said:

2f2df89f889f5cea4af6f76d15f06d35.png

I'm almost certain that is the only bumper dragging wheelstand ever done by a '55 Buick.

Yeah, yeah, yeah - I know.

12 hours ago, Poodle56 said:

And here's is today's "where am I?" random pic. And yes you may use the interwebs to help! :lol:

Hawaii trip 121.jpg

We had to travel through the mess deck to get to the Wardroom on the Coral Sea.  The mess deck always seemed to serve better food.

2 minutes ago, Ventucky Red said:

And...... is it sitting in your garage?

No. There were also  Honda CB200, CL175, Kawaski KE (enduro)100 too.  I am waiting on my XS650 still.

1 hour ago, warbird said:
15 hours ago, hobot said:

FB_IMG_1632142688891.jpg

Expand  

That is why Don Garlits worked to develop the rear engine configuration. Can't have those clutch bits fly about between your legs.

I particularly admire the steel bellhousing that cam off intact.

Needs better bolts next time.

I saw a guy sitting in an old front engine fueler one time - his legs were over the axles and his balls were resting on the Ford 9 inch diff housing - now that is confidence in Ford engineering.

And before any of you fuckers reply with the obvious - he was wearing a fire suit.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, warbird said:

That is why Don Garlits worked to develop the rear engine configuration. Can't have those clutch bits fly about between your legs.

240146373_4309994225728687_6528811833088708753_n.jpg

• Like 1

I'm embarrassed to  say, ain't gotta clue. Was a day I thought I knew the whole OC coast.

Wild assed guess? Capo Beach?

FB_IMG_1632064111527.jpg

The picture is pretty much centered on Doheny.

Capo it's just out of frame to the right, that's the riverbed coming down from San Juan Capistrano.

FB_IMG_1632218106140.jpg